Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

curious to see if there ends up being a mod to past the old plot over the new one once the game is out. I've stayed radio silent on it the whole time so I'm curious what the differences are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mostly used floating lockers for what I think is their intended use; making early game survival caches of food and water around beacons and points of interest.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Literally takes like 5 minutes to build a tube with lockers so it was a very stupid item to keep in game.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Invalid Validation posted:

Literally takes like 5 minutes to build a tube with lockers so it was a very stupid item to keep in game.

There are some edge uses for floating lockers. I kept one until the end of the game parked next to the rocket so I could put the materials I had on hand for the next section nearby while I hunted for the last rare thing.

But they should be recyclable because I also ran into the “build 20 floating lockers under the lifepod” before I figured out building even a crappy base was more efficient.

Also, I hated that that wrecks were random. I finished the game never finding either the stillsuit or the Cyclops sonar and the latter would have made the final sections MUCH easier.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text
All this floating locker talk makes me realize I forgot to bitch about something in Below Zero, how stupid the quantum locker is for end game tech. It can't be inside your base, you can only have 1 set of lockers and it has very little space. You just end up carrying one for some expanded inventory slots but otherwise its quantum nature is entirely pointless.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Having just looked that up with a terrible suspicion I see that my funniest interpretation was correct: it's literally a shittier Ender Chest. That's the whole reason it exists.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I had found a deep hole last night that had good chunks of stuff to scan and managed to get the generic room before drowning and today I made a pump and some tubes but can’t for the life of me remember where the hole was :saddowns:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I highly suggest the map and locker building mods. I can’t get used to the map and it helps a lot. Doesn’t really spoil anything cause there’s fog of war until you actually reveal the area.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Serephina posted:

All this talk has gotten me hankering for a second playthrough. My first (mostly unspoiled) one was marred by finding the seaglide *after* the seamoth, so early game was mostly a slog followed by the overpowered nature of a fast-moving vehicle with infinite oxygen and crazy huge inventory slots. Is it worth doing some sort of gimmick run like 'no seamoth, no cylcops'? Is it even possible/viable to try and never used a vehicle (until the rocketship) and do dumb stuff like air pumps? I wanna kinda enjoy the early-game danger and prolong it into the lategame using the seaglide, if that makes sense?

After the 2nd time the PS4 save bug hit I tried a new no-vehicle, no-base run. I scanned all the wrecks, had all the blueprints, and had pipes running from just near the island down the hole past the final Degasi Seabase into the Lost River, when the save bug hit again and I said "well what's the point".

No-base is really where the stupidity comes from; if you go just no-vehicle then it's possible to establish a supply chain of mini-bases. The big issue is water; you don't have the tube coral down deep to make bleach, you don't see bladderfish down that deep, and it's impossible to keep up with your thirst using bioreactors to power water filtration machines. Filtration becomes viable once you get deep enough to get uranium and build nuclear reactors.

There's no reason you couldn't stretch your supply chain down to the final alien base, and after that point, the gates make everything moot.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
Why not just bring some reactor rods with you? I built nuke reactors all over the place and never had them run out of juice.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think he was saying that there's a big gap between the shallows where solar power can fuel things, and finding your first uranium piece. Come to think of it there's a lot of thermal vents, but maybe not on the direct path downwards. That sounds cool btw and I might give it a go, there's probably a lot of flex knowing what you *don't* need to build and just swimming past the threats.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

drunken officeparty posted:

I had found a deep hole last night that had good chunks of stuff to scan and managed to get the generic room before drowning and today I made a pump and some tubes but can’t for the life of me remember where the hole was :saddowns:

Beacons are your best friends for stuff like this. Just carry 1-2 whenever you go out exploring.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Dyz posted:

Beacons are your best friends for stuff like this. Just carry 1-2 whenever you go out exploring.

Yeah, TBH I don't see a big need for a map mod if you just set up beacons in the main points of interest and toggle them visible when needed.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Yeah, TBH I don't see a big need for a map mod if you just set up beacons in the main points of interest and toggle them visible when needed.

The map mod is probably a bad idea on first playthrough, but it's really nice on your 3rd or 10th or whatever run when you're intentionally extending gameplay by exploring absolutely everything.

Incidentally, for anyone who hasn't gone down the rabbit hole of Subnautica mods, there are a lot of really good ones. At the top of the list for me is Easycraft, which lets you automatically pull from nearby storage while crafting AND building, and even automatically builds intermediate components for you. It's absolutely amazing.

You can also give the seamoth more depth upgrades, big goofy arms for drilling, and some extra addon slots to make it viable as your only vehicle through the whole game, if you want.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I got a new Xbox series X yesterday, but Subnautica won't sync my old xbox save from the cloud. It turns out that this has been an issue for years and still remains. I guess I'll just finish the game on the old xbox. It's a shame because I wanted to see if the load times were better than 5 minutes on the new xbox.

edit - I just looked on the developer's Subnautica forum and it looks like xbox support has been non-existant since the release and there's zero dev activity on their forums.

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 13, 2020

Geodude
Mar 21, 2004

Geodude used Reply to Thread! It's super effective!
I loaded Subnautica back up for my 2nd playthrough. Forgot how easy it is to play for hours at a time.

Using only these mods makes things so much nicer:
-Easycraft
-Increased storage space
-Map (ONLY using it to mark wreck locations) {definitely don't use on your first playthrough}
-Increased hotbar slots

Experiencing a lot less bugs this time around. Only once did things start to go shaky/janky over the course of a 4 hour session, but I equate that to just seeing the mushroom forest pop-in.

Finding the laser cutter was such a pain.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Canuckistan posted:

I got a new Xbox series X yesterday, but Subnautica won't sync my old xbox save from the cloud. It turns out that this has been an issue for years and still remains. I guess I'll just finish the game on the old xbox. It's a shame because I wanted to see if the load times were better than 5 minutes on the new xbox.

edit - I just looked on the developer's Subnautica forum and it looks like xbox support has been non-existant since the release and there's zero dev activity on their forums.

I've played through subnautica, like, at least ten times, so far. Some of them gimmick runs, some challenge runs, most just having fun like I did the first time, almost.

I'm just saying, with the new console's capabilities, hopefully issues that may have been issues before (like the pop-in some have so much trouble with) may not be issues anymore. For instance, on my PC version, switching the game from my HDD to my SSD pretty much got rid of pop-in for me. Almost, anyway, good enough that I barely notice it, and haven't ever had a serious problem because of it since. I would imagine the graphics will be nicer, too.

So, like I said, I'm just sayin'. Maybe, try another playthrough with the new console, whether you finish your first one on the old console, or just start fresh here. It's a game with way more potential for fun, just by making use of self-imposed limitations/playstyles, than you might think at first glance. My swimming only run, building 'base camps' heading downward, was like a completely different game than the one with all my vehicles, as was my PRAWN-only run, or my cyclops only run.

Fingers crossed on the new consoles improving the game, rather than it just running the same as it did before.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’m pretty sure pop in still happens on high end PCs. It’s part of the old terrain tech that’s still in there you just can’t do anything with it.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

I’m pretty sure pop in still happens on high end PCs. It’s part of the old terrain tech that’s still in there you just can’t do anything with it.

Doesn't happen on mine. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I am saying it isn't universal.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Still lots of pop in on my 2060, though Below Zero has significantly less.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Pop in still definitely happens it is just that they made the pop in happen much closer to the maximum draw distance than it used to. If you're not noticing it then possibly it is occurring beyond your draw distance.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

HiKaizer posted:

Pop in still definitely happens it is just that they made the pop in happen much closer to the maximum draw distance than it used to. If you're not noticing it then possibly it is occurring beyond your draw distance.

Well, I mean, is it even really pop-in, then, if it doesn't ever affect your gameplay?

Like, I get that, yes, the game can't simultaneously render the entire game world, clearly. But as long as it can keep things solid and smooth further away than I can ever get to them, barring some bizarre 'launched 3000 meters in an instant due to physics in the Aurora loving up monumentally or something' bug, even when I'm scooting around at maximum velocity via PRAWN grapple arms slingshotting? Effectively, there isn't any pop-in, even if, yes, it does in fact exist, outside the player's experience.

It seems like arguing that a game engine is bad if it isn't, say, processing every single NPC at all times, everywhere in the game, even if it's in a different hub from the one you're in, and haven't been to yet. I'm not trying to suggest people are arguing in bad faith, just, practically, what does it matter?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
One of the best mods for Subnautica is the one that makes you drop one of the beacons you're carrying when you die and labels it something like 'I Died Here'. I think they added it as a stock feature to BZ.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
How effective are tiger plants at creating essentially a base defense? I know with the reinforced suit they can’t hurt you but would they take down aggressive fauna?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
How aggressive?

They'd kill Stalkers or Biters just fine. But they'd be pointless against leviathans.

Be aware that missed tiger plant shots can damage your base.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Well, I mean, is it even really pop-in, then, if it doesn't ever affect your gameplay?

I found I noticed it when I used the Seamoth because it's the fastest vehicle. Slower vehicles or just swimming didn't really have the same issue. Also the islands sometimes acted a bit weird but that's also different because they have the weird fog clouds that don't render properly through the water.

Mostly edge cases but it was still there. Much better than in early access though!

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 16, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The island fog clouds are a fun thing, they conceal the islands but if you're scanning the horizon looking for anything they're still going to stand out, not difficult since there's exactly three visible landmarks from lifepod 5.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The island fog clouds are a fun thing, they conceal the islands but if you're scanning the horizon looking for anything they're still going to stand out, not difficult since there's exactly three visible landmarks from lifepod 5.

I never noticed them until a beacon took me there...

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
How complete is Below Zero at this point?

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

How complete is Below Zero at this point?

It's been mentioned a couple times, but as of the latest update it feels pretty complete. There are TBDs and TO CUTs and suchlike in some of the text, some question mark icons on certain nonessential items (though I think there's one or two still in the first game..), but I'm a good way in and it's been really fun without any show-stoppers.

It's not yet completeable due to the final bits not being there yet, but for the most part I forget I'm not playing a finished game when I'm in it.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I did not notice the island cloud obfuscation until I saw it written about online, well after discovering the islands. I don't think I looked at the clouds close enough to realize they were different from the regular skybox until after I knew about them; then they stood out a lot. So, the trick worked on me!

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea it’s pretty hard to tell if you don’t know what you’re looking for.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The clouds, like all things, have pop-in and so are literally absent if you're tar enough away.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
drat, I should have waited on this BZ update.
It ends at the same spot as the last update.
But now it has an invisible wall.
Though it is much more fleshed out and doesnt have gaping holes in direction.
Oh well, it's not like I dont enjoy playing 1 and 2 over again.
Which I do.
Immensely.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Geodude posted:

Finding the laser cutter was such a pain.

I started another playthrough and got a laser cutter in a time capsule, shaved hours and hours off the run. I didn't kill anything in anger. I skipped the Cyclops entirely, got the prawn suit grapple arm and jump jet upgrades, it's easy enough to hop up and down the map with those. I was preparing for a 'final' dive to go to the power station, craft up the final tablets, etc. got bored and started on Below Zero.

BZ has a lot of QoL upgrades from the original. Collapsing down some of the crafting menu, the single-resource rocks instead of "gold AGAIN??", plentiful quartz. I miss the 'free' camera waypoints from scanner rooms. Got hung up for a bit because I missed the habitat builder and Table Coral is so much more rare/deeper. Story-wise, I met the prawn suit lady, got the alien in my head and found his first mcguffin.. My truck can hit 300m and I'm going around meeting various scary sea lions and jellyfish. Still haven't seen Magnetite, in the original I'd just go poke around the weapons platform leviathan.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

zzMisc posted:

It's been mentioned a couple times, but as of the latest update it feels pretty complete. There are TBDs and TO CUTs and suchlike in some of the text, some question mark icons on certain nonessential items (though I think there's one or two still in the first game..), but I'm a good way in and it's been really fun without any show-stoppers.

It's not yet completeable due to the final bits not being there yet, but for the most part I forget I'm not playing a finished game when I'm in it.

Good to know it is close! I bought it on Epic, but have been sitting on it waiting for a complete version before i play. Loved the original game.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

JawnV6 posted:

I started another playthrough and got a laser cutter in a time capsule, shaved hours and hours off the run. I didn't kill anything in anger. I skipped the Cyclops entirely, got the prawn suit grapple arm and jump jet upgrades, it's easy enough to hop up and down the map with those. I was preparing for a 'final' dive to go to the power station, craft up the final tablets, etc. got bored and started on Below Zero.

BZ has a lot of QoL upgrades from the original. Collapsing down some of the crafting menu, the single-resource rocks instead of "gold AGAIN??", plentiful quartz. I miss the 'free' camera waypoints from scanner rooms. Got hung up for a bit because I missed the habitat builder and Table Coral is so much more rare/deeper. Story-wise, I met the prawn suit lady, got the alien in my head and found his first mcguffin.. My truck can hit 300m and I'm going around meeting various scary sea lions and jellyfish. Still haven't seen Magnetite, in the original I'd just go poke around the weapons platform leviathan.

Magnetite seems super rare in BZ. I found some veins of it up on land but my inventory was full and I didn't have any beacons left to mark it, I don't remember finding a single piece under water.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

JawnV6 posted:

Magnetite is a bit tougher in BZ, it's in a few scattered places but I believe I got my first pieces in the deep twisty bridges luckily you don't need too much of it.
You'll find more when you find the prawn suit lady again. When you do, I recommend building a base there

Update: ^^ he's right too, there's some in the spy penglin areas and there was a whole vein in a snowstalker cave

Nukelear v.2 fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Magnetites main area in BZ is the lilypad area is pulling a large chunk of land up leaving a plug like thing ripped out, the bottom sides of it are the most you'll find of it.
But it goes deep, deep. You'll need the 3rd depth upgrade. Or a big air tank.