Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
we're shitposting now eh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvFMHqTd0mg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
ahahah great

would have been better if it had been him frantically hitting the remote to try and turn it off though

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

That logposting facebook group is still aces

edit

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 25, 2017

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So I just wanted to say how much I loved how the latest ep (I just saw it last night) continued to fill in Twin Peak's spiritual topography. It's been the focus of this entire season. S2 we knew there was a black lodge, home of inhospitable spirits, a white lodge, a place of transcendental peace, and in between place, filled in by spirits visiting from the Black lodge before or after visiting Earth and a few specified souls, usually delineated by that jade ring.

From the first episode of S3, Frost and Lynch have further developed this idea, and given it life by one character's arc, Booper (terrible name but why not), trying to stay on Earth as long as he can and forestall Cooper's return.

The whole season, from the box watched over by a college student (paid for by a billionaire, which I think was Booper, creating a place to trap Cooper possibly) to Cooper's journey in the metaphysical and other realms like the Purple Sea, to now the decrepit spiritual path Booper took to find Jeffries, traversing a hellscape looking straight up like an abandoned Motel Six (what do we call this genre, flannel fantasy), does make sense, metaphorically. And I'm eating it just up.

The room upstairs the convenience store is a portal that connects through a passageway to the vortex Cole almost fell into in South Dakota, to a wayspace (whose only key is held by a mysterious woman that, to my eyes, Booper seemed wary, or even frightened of) that looks into a space that to my eyes looked a lot like the White Lodge (or wherever the Fireman resides). That too could be another in between point, to my mind the only time the White Lodge has presented itself is with Laura's ascendence and the Major's disappearance. Am I wrong?

It's very richly laid out, and pretty unique mythology that is unpretentious as hell and loving scary/intimidating.

e: so the Trinity test created a host of spirits that support Bob and listen to him, but don't necessarily follow his orders, needing him to ask for permission to further travel into the spiritual realm (which is a loving hallway and stairs). I'm thinking of the one striking with the stick and the needle nose suddenly appearing. If they were working for Mother and if the needle nose dude is Mother, wouldn't it be the other way around (the needle nose guy from FWWM) appearing first? What is Mother's motivation? Just to kill? She or the creature in the box, seemed to be following Cooper's steps purposely. Maybe that's it?

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 25, 2017

Murderist
Aug 30, 2013
When the Convenience Store de-materialized, did anyone else think, oh, it's a TARDIS. Even the stairs leading up to a non-existant second story/chameleon-circuited-endless-amount-of-rooms was done a few years ago in a Who episode.

Also, The Island in "Lost" is a TARDIS too. It's TARDISES all the way down.

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt

Neo Rasa posted:

I was blown away by this for real.

Regarding Lynch and meditation, Tibet, and Buddhism again, I'm starting to think even more now that the kettle/boiler/etc. type structure we see commonly throughout season 3 are also mean to evoke bells used in Buddhist religious practices as well as the "singing bowl" type bells used for meditative purposes in Tibet. It would make certain consistent things regarding the show's sound design make waaaaaay too much sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb3okem4OCk

I think what really made Jeffries work is how the writing puts him in an immediate position of power over BadCoop, and what a great job they did for the build up to it, like everything from the second we realize Cooper is approaching the convenience store and on. On top of that we're used to seeing Evil Cooper be like ten steps ahead of everyone else, but Jeffries just sort of sends him away like he's nothing, and the way Jeffries sends information by just spitting numbers out, like it's awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMszCiYdtts
first thing in the phillip jefferies scene is the liberty bell

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
i mean... that *has* to just be a coincidence right? but amazing.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTz37hf66jk

I had to. I can't help myself.

And More fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Aug 26, 2017

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I want to make a cut (I won't do it, I have no idea how) of just the audrey scenes. It'd be amazing. The most frustrating long scene ever.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

redreader posted:

I want to make a cut (I won't do it, I have no idea how) of just the audrey scenes. It'd be amazing. The most frustrating long scene ever.
I was planning on doing this once the show was over, since I didn't want to go back and add more.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
One of my good friends painted a great portrait titled "That's right. gently caress you, Albert."

She made some prints if anyone may be interested, on her Etsy store.

Laura Dern's completely randomly unexpected and great performance has been one of the highlights of this season, so I have a special fondness for having a shameless plug for my friend's art of her.

Murderist
Aug 30, 2013
Owns.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

I just realized that thing looks so much like some of the objects in the 90's claymation game The Neverhood.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
I was looking up some of the Roadhouse acts on youtube and there's a lot of Chrysta Bell's vocal work trending. She's simultaneously more expressive than her acting yet still wooden in her delivery. I don't care for her singing but it's hard to look away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTkuFT7ms3k

Don't miss at about the 2:50 mark where she dances like a broken down marionette covered in glitter.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

hepscat posted:

I was looking up some of the Roadhouse acts on youtube and there's a lot of Chrysta Bell's vocal work trending. She's simultaneously more expressive than her acting yet still wooden in her delivery. I don't care for her singing but it's hard to look away.

Don't miss at about the 2:50 mark where she dances like a broken down marionette covered in glitter.

I looked through some of her songs, and in her Beat the Beat music video she has the same haircut as Anna Graham from Deadly Premonition. Now I can't unsee it.

Also, the music video is really bad.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I initially thought the Jeffries teapot looked identical to the droning thing that the Fireman goes to listen to in episode 8, but upon further consideration it might not be - anyone have a pic of that thing?

Atheist Ghost Story
Apr 22, 2007

if you really loved me then you'd buy me a zebra
For those interested in the Audrey Horne sequence, I think the motif of her being unable to leave the room is borrowed from The Exterminating Angel (1962) by Luis Buñuel. The gist of the film is that a following a dinner party for a group of Spanish high society, the guests find themselves terminally unable to leave the recreation room, even though there is nothing physically preventing them from doing so. I'm reminded strongly of that for the Audrey scenes, especially this weeks episode where she is practically on the threshold and demanding to leave, yet for reasons unknown to neither herself or the viewer, some force is preventing her from doing so. Given David Lynch's long standing affiliation with Surrealism and the aesthetics of Surrealism, and has referenced other Buñuel before, it's highly unlikely he would not have encountered this film at some point.

Also of further interest to this, and possibly a reason for Lynch casting Fenn in this role, was her cameo in Wild at Heart (1990). In this she plays the victim of a car crash in a very affecting scene. Throughout the movie, car crashes (I think inspired by Ballard here) are a theme running throughout that crudely interrupt the narrative, a passing and abstract force that suggest a significance to the story, even if it bears little impact on the overall plot. Here's a clip of the scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpS0DQxE8oY

I think this is relevant to the Audrey dream theory. In Wild at Heart, it is so fantastic in parts that it feels likely we are witnessing one of the characters dream state, highly possibly brought about by coma. The way Fenn plays both parts is very similar. The return of the subconscious via the motif of car crashes suggests that they have abstract relevance. I think the Lynch transposing the same actor who played a traumatised victim with a severe head injury into another work, where it is possible (yet not made clear just yet) they are a victim of trauma, shows a deliberate kind of layering and association. I'm not suggesting any crossover in the characters (I think Wild at Heart is likely the coma dream of Cage's character), but the performances are very close in terms of content and delivery, and I think Lynch is offering us a way to read the scene via this association.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The actual reason that it turns out they couldn't leave the room in The Exterminating Angel is cool and clever.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Raxivace posted:

The actual reason that it turns out they couldn't leave the room in The Exterminating Angel is cool and clever.

What was it? I saw that movie but it was like 15 years ago

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Elias_Maluco posted:

They're hiding from Franco

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

hepscat posted:

I wasn't sure about the theory before, but now I am convinced. She is 100% a snake person.

Atheist Ghost Story
Apr 22, 2007

if you really loved me then you'd buy me a zebra

skasion posted:

They're hiding from Franco

It's the opposite - the bourgeoisie sided with Franco during the Spanish Civil War. I think the film has been interpreted as an indictment of the ruling classes spiritual decline following the failure of the popular revolution.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ugh, her music is just as bad as her acting. She at least his the notes shes going for, so I'll give her that.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Atheist Ghost Story posted:

It's the opposite - the bourgeoisie sided with Franco during the Spanish Civil War. I think the film has been interpreted as an indictment of the ruling classes spiritual decline following the failure of the popular revolution.

I remember I thought it was about people like my friends, who are absolutely incapable of leaving parties

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
Episode 16 spoilers are abound, stay safe out there gents.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Only one more day to go, at least.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Believe me when I say you are gonna wanna avoid spoilers for episode 16 like the loving plague.

source: Me, a guy who got spoiled by discord friends talking about it in a public channel like idiots

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Did the episode itself leak, or just a synopsis?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Apparently it aired early in the UK by mistake somehow. There are videos floating around.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
why do you people have to make me aware of these things

oh god the agony

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
oh wait they haven't taken it off Now TV yet

I can just watch it

ok I'll see you guys tomorrow, love y'all

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
At least it's only a day before and I don't have to avoid this thread for a week. Time for bed, then D&D and then Twin Peaks at the appropriate time.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

If it's still up, maybe someone will upload it before tmw. If I'm awake when they do I'ma watch that poo poo.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
http://watch.nowtv.com/watch-entertainment/twin-peaks-return/cbcbfeb688f52510VgnVCM1000000b43150a____/seasons/1/episodes/16

Wait is it up here and I should just sign up for a free trial? I'm willing to go through the trouble.

To me this implies it's only going to be available in 2 days.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you're from the UK, then yeah, that'll work.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Escobarbarian posted:

If you're from the UK, then yeah, that'll work.

failed step 1

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Elias_Maluco posted:

The scene of them entering the party is played twice at the beginning of the movie, so they have to have the party a second time before they're able to leave.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Apparently the episode is very hard to just rip. Can't they just use shadowplay and record their desktop? I can't wait 18 hours for this!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm just happy I work tomorrow. Easy to avoid spoilers if I just watch as soon as I get home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Its still up on On Demand but it crashes when you try to download. drat, angry at myself for not noticing when I got up to watch the boxing.