Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

World Famous W posted:

as someone born and raised in a backwater, small town 'justice' is not something to be celebrated

Another tangent, I grew up in a small town an hour outside of Boston. I guess maybe you can call it an exurb but my broader point is that small town culture as "southern conservative" bothers me there are many different small town cultures, not all under this brush. Why do these people get to claim theirs as the true small town?

Mooseontheloose fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

"But muh heritage! Muh southren ancestors!" :qq:

Yeah, they were all stupid crackers who fought a war because they wanted to keep people as slaves. gently caress you.
my ancestors were confederates and gently caress them

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Mooseontheloose posted:

Another tangent, I grew up in a small town an hour outside of Boston. I guess maybe you can call it an exurb but my broader point is that small town culture as "southern conservative" bothers me there are many different small town cultures, not all under this brush. Why do these people get to claim theirs as the true small town?

More or less because you don't have an entire music genre glorifying an imagined idyllic version of your type of small town.
Country music is huge, as much as I hate it I'd almost argue it's the American genre, and it revolves around having grown up in a fictional one horse town with a broken tractor and an old watering hole with a tire swing hanging above it.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I think small town culture is overblown. I spent my first 10 years in a small town and went back regularly because my dad still lived there and I couldn't point out any neighbor in a line up of 2 people.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Looked this up because it’s been years and I dont rem-

Jesus christ

And somehow, it still has strong competition for "the worst song on that particular album" from the song about a teenage girl who's throat wasn't deep enough to give head. :wtc:

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
There's a recent new yorker article about the growing divide in nashville between "country music" and "americana" though I think it's from before this recent controversy

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2023/07/24/country-musics-culture-wars-and-the-remaking-of-nashville\

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
It's not like recent country doesn't have a consistent pattern of songs decrying modern urban violence and celebrating old-fashioned lynching justice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1JOFhfoAD4

Worst thing the otherwise-cool Willie Nelson ever did.

Ambitious Spider posted:

There's a recent new yorker article about the growing divide in nashville between "country music" and "americana" though I think it's from before this recent controversy

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2023/07/24/country-musics-culture-wars-and-the-remaking-of-nashville\

Can't find it now but I saw a meme the other day that touched on this. Top panel: "Folk-Punk is just country music for people who hate cops". Bottom panel: "Country music used to be country music for people who hate cops until you let trust fund kiddies wearing bedazzled jeans take it over."

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 21, 2023

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I like current country because it's a signpost. If someone tells you they like country you can know automatically they are shitheads.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Looked this up because it’s been years and I dont rem-

Jesus christ

You made this up, this is not a real song. Right?????

Fuuuuuuuck.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I like current country because it's a signpost. If someone tells you they like country you can know automatically they are shitheads.
i like people who let you know they judge people for listening to a rather large genre of music because it's a signpost

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

This can't be true because Dolly Parton is still alive and making country music.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

World Famous W posted:

i like people who let you know they judge people for listening to a rather large genre of music because it's a signpost

I'm sorry you're right. I'm sure there are very fine people jamming out to Lynching: The Song.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
one song does not make a genre. hell, a bunch don't either

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

You can pretty easily tell what someone is like by their music choices yeah

Country music listener - MAGA chud
Metal - white nationalist
Punk - you're now a republican senator
Pop - republican but with one of those "in this house we believe" signs
Rock - supported the Vietnam war
Classical - RETVRN fash
Rap - Suburbanite that thinks he should get to say it
Techno - Channer

The only moral leftist thing to do is to stop listening to music.

neurobasalmedium
Sep 12, 2012

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Country music was never the same after 9/11. In late 2001, you had several songs dripping with patriotism, which, you know, makes sense. Then in May 2002, Toby Keith releases "Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue (The Angry American)" which is basically 3 minutes of almost but not quite saying "I'm going to go kill me some towel heads." Then of course you have Talk Radio go after the Dixie Chicks in 2003.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

neurobasalmedium posted:

Country music was never the same after 9/11. In late 2001, you had several songs dripping with patriotism, which, you know, makes sense. Then in May 2002, Toby Keith releases "Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue (The Angry American)" which is basically 3 minutes of almost but not quite saying "I'm going to go kill me some towel heads." Then of course you have Talk Radio go after the Dixie Chicks in 2003.

Plenty of memes about it, how back in the old days, country music was about killing a man just to watch him die and slashing a cop's tires because gently caress 'em, and now it's "If you don't thank the police for their bravery with every breath and jerk off exclusively to the statue of liberty, I will report you so hard :cry: "

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Country music also used to be about worker rights but they seem to not give a poo poo about that either.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I forgot which NPR radio show it was, but theres also a civil war brewing in the Square Dancing scene.

Which is also sorta interesting because Square Dance was almost made THE National Dance of the USA.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

neurobasalmedium posted:

It's interesting to go back to the billboards for around 2001 and look back a couple years, because the songs that were popular back then were broadly not very violent. Yeah you had the typical rugged individualist songs but they weren't insane, and most of them were love songs. The weird thing looking back at them is that most of the top ones weren't even that focused on the "country" angle of it, they were trying to play for a wider audience, so they weren't the "I'm going to drive my American truck to the farm so I can gently caress a hay bale" stuff you get today.

Like Tim McGraw, poster boy for that mid 2000s country, had a few uh "problematic" songs (hey Tim what the gently caress was "indian outlaw") but the majority of them were designed for wider play and saw broader popularity because of it. Even his later stuff wasn't *total* batshit like the newest age stuff is. Versus Jason Aldean whose entire discography is faux redneck chest thumping.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 21, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Invalid Validation posted:

Country music also used to be about worker rights but they seem to not give a poo poo about that either.
I'm a fan of the country music that's about West Virginia coal miners dynamiting a train because gently caress the mine guards and the coal bosses.

e: Also the country music that's about the drug war and prison system being a disgraceful sack of poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voiUfeWAEEg

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 21, 2023

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

PhazonLink posted:

I forgot which NPR radio show it was, but theres also a civil war brewing in the Square Dancing scene.

Which is also sorta interesting because Square Dance was almost made THE National Dance of the USA.

Considering that square dancing became as popular as it did because Henry Ford spent a lot of money pushing it as an alternative to jazz (which he thought Jews made as a weapon to make white people like blacks better) I'm a little surprised to hear that. I'd have thought that most people who cared about its racist history would just write it off as not worth saving. Kinda nice that they're pushing to reform it instead.

https://qz.com/1153516/americas-wholesome-square-dancing-tradition-is-a-tool-of-white-supremacy

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

It's just a shithead knockoff of polka dancing

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Panfilo posted:

Finally a weird capstone to the song about men who have a proper sense of ethics who will act accordingly when provoked. Through the whole song there's also this implicit assumption that people in small towns operate with a greater sense of community and solidarity. I find this to be pretty laughable people often choose to live in the places specifically because they don't want to be bothered by others. The idea that these chuds are going to nobly step up in solidarity for their community isn't consistent with reality.
See also ‘Where I come from’ we claim universal generalities as our peculiar virtues

quote:

This [saying that people in this small town "care about family"] isn’t an expression of local pride, but a slanderous accusation against everyone else who isn’t from around here. It’s not a celebration of the virtues of small-town and community, but the prejudice that comes from parochial ignorance mixed with a willingness — and an eagerness — to presume the worst about everyone you don’t already know.

It’s similar to the weird white tribalism you can hear in dozens of Country songs. This has become a sub-genre of Country & Southern music in recent years, and the whole category is based on the same dynamic described above — a celebration of universal human values that winds up denying the humanity of others by claiming those values as the unique and peculiar property of a single community.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

PhazonLink posted:

Gods, I remember when I was in elementary school, back in like 4th or 5th grade, they decided to make square dance lessons a mandatory part of the curriculum. I don't think it lasted very long, but gently caress it was miserable, especially as a fat kid with no rhythm.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Ambitious Spider posted:

"New Yorker Magazine?!" :clint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmhgtBA16aA

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I took the time to really analyze what that song is actually saying and this is the conclusion I came to, for the non-hick:

This place is a small town.

This place is a message... and part of a system of messages ...pay attention to it!

Sending this message was important to us. We considered ourselves to be a powerful culture.

This place is not a place of honor... no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here... nothing valued is here.

What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us. This message is a warning about danger.

The danger is in a particular location... it increases towards a center... the center of danger is here... of a particular size and shape, and below us.

The danger is still present, in your time, as it was in ours.

The danger is to the body, and it can kill.

The form of the danger is an emanation of energy.

The danger is unleashed only if you substantially disturb this place physically. This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

Kris Krisofferson posted:

You did to country music what pantyhose did to fingerfuckin’

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I grew up and went to High School in a small town in Delaware in the 80's and if loving sucked. I left the first chance I got and never went back.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

It's so funny because all this poo poo about how New York wasn't the real America careened and crashed into 9/11. Suddenly New Yorkers weren't hateful alien weirdos but saintly American victims of violence done to them by dirty foreigners. If you fed all southern/rural American culture from all American history up to 9/10/2001 into an AI you'd get a robot that wanted to nuke NYC and leave nobody alive. But the day after, they were as American as honey mustard.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The dumbest thing about small town tough guys is how fuckin brittle they are. They're actually completely terrified of cities, like even safe gentrified part of cities. No tough guy from Lineville, Alabama, could ever live in Germantown Philadelphia. They simply don't have the ingredients. But they probably cruise around in their giant truck and probably love that fuckin song

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

That New Yorker article is really good and discusses the history of country music really well.

But there was a lot of conservative ideology in country music during those liberal times. It still does not compare to the ideology of mainstream country today and how far right it has went. It is now pro-authoritarian and extremely corporate in selling a lifestyle.

But never forget Kris Kristofferson’s comment to Toby Keith:

“Kris to Toby at Willie Nelson’s birthday celebration” posted:

You ever worn your country’s uniform?

Don’t ‘What?’ me, boy! You heard the question. You just don’t like the answer. ‘Have you ever served your country?’ The answer is, no, you have not.

Have you ever killed another man? Have you ever taken another man’s life and then cashed the check your country gave you for doing it? No, you have not.

So shut the f*ck up… you don’t know what the hell you’re talking about.”

Kris then told those nearby:

“You know what Waylon Jennings said about guys like him? They’re doin’ to country music what pantyhose did to finger-fuckin.'”

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Most country music nowadays is for white suburbanites who drive giant trucks to their contractor jobs where they boss a bunch of Mexicans around who do the real work.

Growing up in the inland empire loving sucked. Wasn't a small town tho.

Come to think of it, when was the last time urbanite musicians sang a negative song about rural areas? Someone like Taylor Swift wouldn't be caught dead singing a song about small towns dying to drug use and domestic issues.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

need some hip hop and ska dis tracks about how every small town is falling apart due to poor schools, exactly one decent eatery, and one central focus for the towns entire economy with no diversity.

Source- my dads home town is rural, small, farming based, and has loving zero grocery stores and no one sells fresh produce. Gotta drive two towns over to get fresh veggies otherwise you can eat stofers from the two "dollar stores" or eat a can of sodium they call soup

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Upsidads posted:

need some hip hop and ska dis tracks about how every small town is falling apart due to poor schools, exactly one decent eatery, and one central focus for the towns entire economy with no diversity.

Source- my dads home town is rural, small, farming based, and has loving zero grocery stores and no one sells fresh produce. Gotta drive two towns over to get fresh veggies otherwise you can eat stofers from the two "dollar stores" or eat a can of sodium they call soup

Jesus Christ that is bleak. I was born in a town with a pop of less than 4k but they still have a super nice grocery store (it is the only one in town and serves as a clothing/sporting goods/all-purpose outfitters). And like, all 5 places to eat are pretty good, especially for such a small town.

Man you just made me feel a big surge of pride for my hometown, thanks

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

We have now moved on from “there is nothing racist in his song” to “rap music has so much worse in them.”

Also, the same people posting that are now posting images where another country artist, Luke Bryan, is demanding to have his music videos taken off of CMT. The image says that they are going to treat CMT like Bud Light.

But he never did that and the people defending Aldean are just really dumb.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Sometimes i wonder if Randy Newman still plays “Rednecks” at his concerts or if the satire is too subtle

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Is Aldean also one of those grew up rich, talks about being a poor/working class white american types too? I legitimately don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Mooseontheloose posted:

Is Aldean also one of those grew up rich, talks about being a poor/working class white american types too? I legitimately don't know.
Dunno about growing up rich, but he was born in Macon, GA (pop 157K) and currently lives in Nashville, TN (pop 715K), so I have some doubts about just how well he understands small-town life.
E: After his parents got divorced, he spent some time with his dad in Homestead, FL, a Miami suburb with only about 20K people at the time. Whether that counts as "small town" I will leave up to you.

darthbob88 fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 22, 2023