Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

AnimeIsTrash posted:

somesons mad their schizo rear end isnt tolerated in that thread @_@

toym

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

AnimeIsTrash posted:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

take yoru meds

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

horror goons got really mad at it for abandoning the found footage format and i could not be bothered at all by it

pretty cool movie, really enjoyed it

it's the sort of thing i could imagine caring about when i was younger and dumber but truly who fuckin cares, the fact that half of it was done via "behind the scenes footage" rather than having ads inbetween the segments already kind of compromised the premise from the start

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Some Guy TT posted:

was it a metaphor for capitalism or was it just general silliness

not really a metaphor for capitalism, maybe a metaphor for industrialization under capitalism. that was Terror of the Autons, which was controversial because along with the chair, kids were apparently scared when a big troll doll comes to life and strangles a guy, and also there's a scene where a police officer turns out to be an evil auton in disguise, and people complained that police were being shown as untrustworthy.

Action Jacktion has issued a correction as of 16:07 on May 14, 2024

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU1QyAYa60g

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

stav as a psychic doing a cold reading: "i'm getting something, a presence... maybe multiple... has anyone here ever had a threesome?"

This is literally his stand up routine.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
He literally pretends to be a psychic doing a cold reading now?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
no but he does a lot of crowd work. it's pretty good, better than his actual set

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Crowd work guys really seem to be trying to kill the idea that there is a difference between a comedian and your funny uncle at the dinner table

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

stav would be doing a cold cut reading

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

no but he does a lot of crowd work. it's pretty good, better than his actual set

wow that's crazy

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

alice munro rest in peace queen

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

alice munro rest in peace queen

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?

Gumball Gumption posted:

Sting did multiple glass spots in his last few years wrestling. The dude he was working with during his last run in AEW, Darby Allin, also skateboards and claims really nothing he does in the ring feels as bad on his body as skating. He's also just insane, was supposed to climb Everest, broke his ankle in his last match before leaving, then got hit by a bus a few weeks ago in NYC because he had to push Raymond Pettibon out of the way of the bus but good news they were still able to use their Broadway tickets that night.

Sting had his large adult sons wear his old gear for his last match. The corn fed one on the right is also a Destiny streamer and the lanky one on the left does a crazy good Stinger Splash for a guy who never wrestled.

I think the guy on the left is Steven, who also played football at the University of Kentucky 10 years ago or so! Sting came to the spring game the first year he was on campus and it was a big deal.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
Sting's final run was essentially treating him like a superhero until he retired in a fun clusterfuck with his family in front of a loving crowd. it was a perfectly done ending that rarely happens in the industry

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Mantis42 posted:

low bar but agree nonetheless

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Can someone explain the thanos thing going on in the forums right now? it's in the banner ads that just link to Vox Nihili's DMs, people are getting probed in all sorts of threads for posting thanos dick, multiple big purple avs are showing up. Is this some attempted GBS incursion or something?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Thanos has a big purple cock, simple as that

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

You just don't get it

selec
Sep 6, 2003

they put Grimace on the rack and called it nature

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Professor Beetus posted:

Yeah all the many times he pantomimes jerking off into the crowd during his standup routines definitely have not aged well

also anytime jerking off is mentioned in any of his comedy specials. the guy is a sex freak and can't keep it out of his professional life. everything he does is either for titillation or perversion. whatever comedy we see is a smokescreen.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

I will never let anyone watch me jerk off. This technique dies with me.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Peter Hyoguchi fanned out the deck like a Vegas street magician. Pick a card. Any card. It doesn’t matter which one, because they all have a QR code to the trailer for his new movie, “The Occult.”

Hyoguchi and the producers of his indie thriller, which follows a man who gets caught in an underground supernatural conspiracy, brought the cards to CinemaCon last month to pitch the movie directly to theater owners with the goal of bringing the film to their screens.

Hyoguchi said he received five offers from independent distributors to release the film on streaming and digital rental, but none were willing to go the theatrical route. So he decided to go it alone, because he believes in the value of theaters that much.

“Every filmmaker wants their movie in a theater, but I think it’s been kind of beaten out of most of them, especially independent filmmakers,” Hyoguchi told TheWrap.“Their expectations become much lower than their desires. Their film is not going to make it to theaters…they’re lucky if they get onto Netflix.”

For him, CinemaCon offered a different path to get “The Occult” to the big screen. Rather than shop the film at festivals, he’d take the trailer directly to the people who owned the big screens he sought.

He’s not the only one. Over the past year, two other independently produced films, Mike Cheslik’s silent slapstick odyssey “Hundreds of Beavers” and Scott Monahan’s gritty road trip drama “Anchorage” have gone directly to exhibitors to make the dream of a big-screen showing a reality. Their releases may be only on a few dozen or even just a small handful of screens. But the filmmakers welcome any chance to show their work in a communal setting rather than a living room, especially at a time when theaters are hungry for more films to place in their projectors.

It’s a rough road, one that requires creative and focused marketing strategies and the willingness to do all the work a studio would normally do. But at a time when the once-buzzy acquisition market at Sundance and other festivals has slowed down, it’s an option more filmmakers find worth taking.

Hyoguchi hopes self-released films can be a part of a different kind of system — one where filmmakers with guts, drive and knowledge can work directly with regional and arthouse theater owners to showcase the stories made outside of the studio system which can fill in the gaps from merging Hollywood studios.

It’s easier said than done. Many distributors, major or indie, book out screens at theaters for multiple weeks, which can leave less space for self-distributed fare. Plus, even the most experienced filmmakers and theaters have far less resources to deal with the same problem as the big boys: how to stand out amongst a vast spectrum of entertainment options and in a pop culture landscape more atomized than ever.

“All I want is the chance to succeed or fail with the audience, not with some PA who’s looking through 15,000 films at Sundance who maybe just turned away for a moment while he’s eating a sandwich and missed the plot of the movie, and then I don’t get in,” Hyoguchi said. “Then my hopes and dreams are gone because of some random yahoo, who’s stopped the first process in the 100,000 processes that go into getting your movie to the theater.”

Since the start of its roadshow tour last year, “Hundreds of Beavers,” a black-and-white comedy, has grossed more than $320,000, a considerable haul given that the movie has never played on more than 17 screens in any single weekend. It has been fueled entirely by organic word-of-mouth without the aid of a distributor’s marketing team.

It took two years for director Mike Cheslik and his team, led by producer Kurt Ravenwood, to bring “Beavers” to the big screen after its Fantastic Fest premiere in 2022. The team weighed multiple options and distribution offers, but settled on self-theatrical distribution with Ravenwood, who runs his own Milwaukee-based marketing firm SRH, overseeing the promotional campaign.

“It just seemed that if the main value that these distributors are bringing is marketing, well, our producer does that professionally,” Cheslik told TheWrap.

Like Hyoguchi and the “Occult” team, Cheslik and Ravenwood took “Hundreds of Beavers” to CinemaCon, showing theater owners the trailer for the madcap story of a fur trapper who gets into a feud with an army of beavers — played by extras in furry costumes — that destroyed his applejack business.

While the trip to Vegas helped build relationships, it wasn’t until the team brought on Jessica Rosner, a former exec at arthouse distributor Kino International, that the “Beavers” team built the foundations for its theatrical release through her connections with cinema owners.

In fall 2023, “Hundreds of Beavers” set out on a Great Lakes roadshow tour through 14 independent theaters, including the Music Box, Chicago’s crown jewel of indie cinema. Ravenwood and Rosner also booked stops at locations that knew how to reach out to their patrons like the Cleveland Cinematheque and The Little Theatre in Rochester.

Filmmaker Mike Cheslik (right), on the set of “Hundreds of Beavers” with lead star Ryland Brickson Cole Tews (Photo Credit: Mike Cheslik/Justin Cook)
With the roadshow in place, Ravenwood and his team focused on building a suite of promotional materials that it could share with theaters to help get the word out.

“We gave them a whole packet. Here’s the trailer. Here’s all the copy you should use on social media. We were told by some theaters that there are smaller indie distributors who don’t give them the level of marketing material we were giving them,” Ravenwood said. “Any dollar we made from the roadshow went right back into targeted social media marketing in whatever city we were playing next.”

It paid off. The roadshow screenings, held once a night, ensured sellout crowds. That gave Ravenwood plenty of footage of audiences laughing and applauding the film and taking pictures with lead star Ryland Brickson Cole Tews and fully-costumed beavers in the lobby. That footage made it easier to book more theaters, and the film’s momentum grew like the giant snowball Tews runs on top of in one of the dozens of gags in “Hundreds of Beavers.”

This past March, even as it was released on video on-demand, “Hundreds of Beavers” had its first Los Angeles screening at the Laemmle Royal and has continued to book screenings at Laemmle’s locations while finding more audiences in new cities.

As for lessons for other indie filmmakers, Ravenwood and his team noted that while they still had to work hard to get the word out, it helped that Cheslik made a zany film that would easily catch the eye.

“My running joke is I’m not sure what’s crazier: How they made the movie, the movie itself, or the distribution of the movie, because they’re all extremely unique,” Rosner said. “But he idea of not needing to play something for two shows a day for a week is something that a lot of indie filmmakers and indie theaters should be looking more at.”

Justin Cook, the publicist for “Hundreds of Beavers,” underscored the importance of having someone on the filmteam who is a marketing veteran like Ravenwood, or who is at least focused primarily on the film’s promotion.

“Ideally, that job goes to the lead producer, but that’s got to be the priority of someone on your core team,” Cook said. “You have to have someone onboard as early as possible who focuses just on what happens after the movie’s finished.”

Scott Monahan understands how easy it can be for even the most driven indie filmmaker to let promotional work fall by the wayside. Getting a project financed, produced, and in the can is enough of a years-long Herculean effort before trying to get a foothold in the festival circuit.

“By the time they’re able to get any kind of distribution – if they do at all – filmmakers are just like, ‘I’m tapped. Just put the film online,’” he said. “And I think that exhaustion is something that gets taken advantage of. Digital release is what everyone does, so just get it out.”

Burnout was something that Monahan grappled with in his campaign to bring “Anchorage” to movie theaters. He wrote, directed, and starred in the film about a pair of drug addicts going on a continent-spanning journey from Florida to Alaska hoping for a big payday with a trunk full of opioids, only for their plans to quickly go south.

From the moment he began making the film, Monahan knew he wanted to get the film in theaters. He made a deal with digital distributor Screen Media to release the film on VOD in fall 2023, giving him time to arrange some form of theatrical release on his own beforehand.

Monahan took “Anchorage” on the festival circuit and got some good reception before firing out as many emails as he could to theaters and bookers. Most went unanswered. But he caught the attention of a booker who offered to help get the film in 30-60 theaters in major cities nationwide. A British indie distributor, Bulldog, also expressed interest in releasing the film in U.K. cinemas.

It seemed like what Monahan was looking for — until he crunched the numbers. Among the expenses: the booker’s fee of $10,000, $3,000 to get the film rated by the Motion Picture Association and around $150 for each digital copy of the film and poster to send to a theater, which would total $4,500-$9,000 depending on the number of theaters booked. After all the time and money spent to produce “Anchorage,” Monahan wasn’t sure if he had enough left to make even this limited release possible. And with the UK release contingent on a U.S. theatrical release, the anxiety mounted.

“It took some time, but I had to step back and ask myself: What kind of release do I as the marketer, director, producer, writer, star of this film, have the bandwidth to really do? I just decided that I don’t need to be in 60 cinemas. I’m fine with just three or four,” he said.

Monahan opted to self-release the film at indie cinemas in three major cities: the Laemmles in L.A.; the Music Box in Chicago, where his co-star, Dakota Loesch, is from; and the Cinema Village and Village East in New York, where the families of both men lived. That was enough to satisfy Bulldog, which distributed “Anchorage” at Curzon Cinemas in London.

With the help of his co-producers Chad Schultz and Taylor Harrington of The Malt Shop Pictures, and Gia Rigoli and Vero Kompalic of Discordia, Monahan began his marketing campaign, using the lessons he learned from promoting “Anchorage” during its festival tour. Among those lessons: create custom art for each city the film screens in and prioritize YouTube ads targeted in each city three weeks before the film would screen.

The most important rule Monahan set for himself was to have a post-screening Q&A after each nightly screening on the tour. Ryan Oestreich, general manager of the Music Box, said the willingness of “Hundreds of Beavers” and “Anchorage” teams to attend their screenings elevated the films over over many self-released pictures he’s booked.

“That extra step makes it feel like a true event that people want to be a part of, and for us it makes it a lot easier to sell the film to people subscribed to our email newsletter,” he said.

The rule paid off, especially at the Music Box, where “Anchorage” screened for a week and sold out a 70-seat auditorium each night, Oestreich said. The other films screening at the Music Box that week? The opening week of “Oppenheimer” and the sixth week of “Asteroid City.”

Now screening at the Music Box: Christopher Nolan, Wes Anderson…and Scott Monahan.

“Each day we screened in Chicago, there would be a line every day down the street. I would just walk down the line and talk to people,” Monahan said. “That week was fantastic, creating a personal experience for everyone who came, the kind that changes the concept of what movies are from content to engagement and from audience to community. That was the moment we worked so hard for and made it all worth it.”

One month after networking at CinemaCon, Peter Hyoguchi’s dream of bringing “The Occult” to the big screen is starting to come true.

He has booked a trio of dates with post-screening Q&As in July and August with regional chains in Florida, Minnesota and Michigan, with plans to reach out to nearby colleges in the summer and fall.

One of those chains, Emagine Theaters, has offered Hyoguchi the chance to use any of its 29 locations to host a potential roadshow. And Florida-based Paragon Theaters is open to additional bookings depending on how the initial screening at its Naples location goes on July 1.

“We’re always looking for ways beyond the traditional Hollywood model to get people excited for moviegoing,” Emagine COO Trevor Baker said. “A film like ‘The Occult’ from an indie filmmaker that wants to look at distributing outside of that model is something any exhibitor would be crazy to not look at.”

When “The Occult” arrives for their weekday screenings, it will share multiplex space with “Deadpool & Wolverine” and “Despicable Me 4,” as well as films from indie distributors like A24’s Ti West slasher film “MaXXXine.”

The summer box office season, while not without its hits, is expected to be a bumpy one as theaters are still waiting for production to ramp up after last year’s strikes.

With Paramount potentially becoming the next big Hollywood player to be bought up, Hyoguchi firmly believes that not only is there no going back to pre-pandemic normality but that Hollywood is going to experience a “freefall collapse” similar to Detroit’s automotive industry in the 1980s.

“It will be rebuilt, but I think it’s going to be more and more decentralized,” he predicted. “Right now there’s so few films being made in Hollywood, but there’s more being made out there. It’s just not being connected to the theaters and to the audience.”

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Cael posted:

stav would be doing a cold cut reading

hypnotizing you with his 1000 island stare

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Twigand Berries posted:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Twigand Berries posted:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

AnimeIsTrash posted:

all schitzos are tolerated in cspam

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Twigand Berries posted:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

they are promoted and loved in cspam

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

schizo vs schizoid.... who u got

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

is that shia laboeuf for a split second? so he's uncancelled, interesting.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Sydney Sweeney is riding high with her successful Anyone But You comedy, and now she’s in a good spot to work on a new Barbarella movie.

Deadline broke the news that the actress is set to star in the remake of the 1968 Roger Vadim-directed film. The movie is focused on an astronaut from the 41st century whose mission is to locate and stop Durand Durand, an evil scientist. It’s considered a cult classic that starred Jane Fonda.

Jane Goldman and Honey Ross are negotiating to pen Barbarella, and Edgar Wright is possibly going to direct. Everyone involved is up to other projects, so we could be waiting a while for big developments. However, it sounds like it’s in motion — which is great.

Sony Pictures is serious about moving on with this as they see it as a major franchise. Goldman has been at the helm in helping X-Men movies, Kick-rear end, and Kingsmen: Secret Service film.

As for Wright, he’s been looking at getting this project moving for a while now. He’s already met with Sweeney but has not fully committed to directing the feature.

If all goes well, this will be a great pairing of two hot commodities in Hollywood, with Sweeney and Wright able to add that entertaining element to such a wild premise.

Sweeney has become a megastar recently. It all started with her rise on HBO’s Euphoria. From there, she starred in Anyone but You and also produced and was cast in Immaculate.

Sweeney is also being tapped to portray legendary boxer Christy Martin in an upcoming biopic.

Martin said of the film to TMZ, “I want this movie to bring awareness to domestic violence, the challenge of sexuality and overall underdog story. I am a coal miner’s daughter from a small town in southern West Virginia that made an impact in a sport that wasn’t taken seriously — women’s boxing.”

As for Sweeney playing her, she said, “I think she is young, hot, talented, and about to make a movie that in 20-plus years, fathers will watch with their daughters to make them aware of domestic violence.”

She also noted that she would be involved in Sydney’s boxing training — specifically the left hook.

The boxer had a historic career but also survived a murder attempt by her then-husband in 2010. Plus, she came out as gay and married a woman, so she has an interesting story to tell.

As mentioned earlier, we’ll have to wait a while for Barbarella to be developed. However, it would be great to see this rebooted cult classic come to life. Sydney Sweeney would make a good, futuristic astronaut, and Wright could make the film be lifted in a fun way that we’d expect.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
I'm fairly confident any barberella remake filmed in the modern era will be absolutely terrible, but at least Sweeney fits the bill physically.

Also, it's not like barberella was a great movie either aside from being weird and horny in a novel way, so, whatever, but who are the people out there clamouring for a barberella remake? Who even has seen the movie aside from dying boomers and film creeps?

Isn't the whole point of remakes to cash in on brand recognition? The Hollywood sickos aren't even trying anymore smh

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

drat horror queefs posted:

I'm fairly confident any barberella remake filmed in the modern era will be absolutely terrible, but at least Sweeney fits the bill physically.

Also, it's not like barberella was a great movie either aside from being weird and horny in a novel way, so, whatever, but who are the people out there clamouring for a barberella remake? Who even has seen the movie aside from dying boomers and film creeps?

Isn't the whole point of remakes to cash in on brand recognition? The Hollywood sickos aren't even trying anymore smh

the point of remaking a movie that not a lot of people know or care about is that new ideas are hard.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Mantis42 posted:

he's still funny. just because he's a sex criminal doesn't change that. if you can't understand how this is true then pretend i'm talking about trump.

yea jokes about being canceled and hating on marginalized groups is top shelf.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

no celebrity ever gets canceled and just, like, keeps doing their thing. being canceled is their thing now. they need to market to the "hates being cancelled" crowd. they have a netflix special called "snowflakes not allowed", they've got a column in the new york post. they're touring the podcast scene and sipping the same glass of bourbon for 3 and a half hours talking about how you can't say anything these days

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
a barbarella remake lol. hollywood needs to burn

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
coppola's protege is literally a convicted pedophile so i don't think any actor is too cancelled for him to cast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

tristeham posted:

a barbarella remake lol. hollywood needs to burn