Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Thread cross-talk: why to not put your long term savings into one single stock. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3259986&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=471#post441777447

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

of course it's GTAT :cripes:

e: Oh I didn't see it was Richard Gamingo :rolleye:

double edit: oh my loving god

RichardGamingo posted:

So I don't have any legal training. I'm in Court firing all of my missiles. The Judge stops and reprimands me, the oppositions counselors stand up and object -- I get an explanation from the judge as to how come a given objection is valid, and he says "Objection Sustained" just like the TV shows. (thank God the Judge has to give an explanation as to what was wrong with what I asked the witness(es), it really helped me learn how to get to the information that I want to illicit and actually have the witness answer the question).

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Feb 20, 2015

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

slap me silly posted:

Regarding the 40 grand. 5 years is the short term and AGTHX is therefore not a good place for it because it is mostly stocks. AGTHX is also fairly lousy in general because of the relatively high expense ratio and turnover - and are you paying a load? If your time horizon is really 5 years you should get way more conservative, and even all cash wouldn't be completely unreasonable. I swear we talked about the best portfolio balance for this not too long ago but I couldn't find- oh here it is: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3636416 not quite your situation I guess.

Regarding retirement it doesn't look like you're being stupid but with the raise it would be so easy to fund that Roth IRA to the max every year. Do it, you know you want to
I realize this is an ancient quote, but now that taxes from last year are all filed away (and I did end up maxing Roth IRA contribution), I'm trying to make some more progress on my goals for this year. I haven't done anything with the money in AGTHX yet, and I'm investing illiterate. Do I just sell it all, close the American Funds accounts, pay the capital gains on next year's taxes, and park/contribute to it in a savings account? I'm not really sure how the process works.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I realize this is an ancient quote, but now that taxes from last year are all filed away (and I did end up maxing Roth IRA contribution), I'm trying to make some more progress on my goals for this year. I haven't done anything with the money in AGTHX yet, and I'm investing illiterate. Do I just sell it all, close the American Funds accounts, pay the capital gains on next year's taxes, and park/contribute to it in a savings account? I'm not really sure how the process works.

Yeah if it's a taxable account you don't have much option besides selling and then rolling the money over to a lower cost investment.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Do I just sell it all, close the American Funds accounts, pay the capital gains on next year's taxes, and park/contribute to it in a savings account?

You can do exactly that. American Funds will send you a check or deposit it to your bank for you upon request. They may also try to sell you something. There may be some ways to pay less taxes by being tricksy though. I am not really clever enough with taxes to make suggestions, but off the top of my head - have all the shares been in there long enough for the gains to be long term instead of short term? Does your income change a lot from year to year? Do you or will you have any capital losses?

Once you get the money out, you can leave it in a savings account - that's reasonable if your time horizon for using it is really 5 years. Or you could keep it secure in CDs or I-bonds while maybe making a little more interest. Or you can get more risky with it and put some or all of it in something like VASIX or VSCGX.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

slap me silly posted:

have all the shares been in there long enough for the gains to be long term instead of short term? Does your income change a lot from year to year? Do you or will you have any capital losses?
All of the shares? No, I contributed a bit to it last year. I guess I'd pay short-term gains on those specific shares if I sold everything, but the vast majority of it would be long-term capital gains. I could wait a bit for them to hit long-term.

Income is fairly steady, and I'm not really anticipating capital losses.
And the benefits over AGTHX here would be the lower expense ratio and more conservative holdings of this fund?

I'm afraid that if I turn around and reinvest it that I won't hold enough back for tax season next year. I'll have to figure out how to calculate that and read more about it. Current value is ~$40,000 and the most recent quarterly statement says that the total cost basis is ~$12,000. If I sell everything, I won't be taxed on a $28,000 capital gain, though, because I've been paying taxes every year on the reinvested dividends? Maybe I should switch to a tax questions thread or just go to a CPA.

Thanks guys.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the main thing is that AGTHX is all stocks, therefore high risk of losing a lot of value in the short term. Most people who aren't insane would consider it too risky for a house savings fund with a 5-year horizon. VASIX is kind of like a compromise between that and the savings account. There's nothing wrong with just letting it languish in savings for a while and revisit this after the next tax season or any other convenient time.

Agreed, you might want to ask in the tax thread about figuring your basis if nobody chimes in here. I haven't done this before but the reinvested dividends should be included in the basis, right? Dunno if that would be reflected on your statement or not. Also be aware of the different ways you can do a partial sale if you're not going to sell it all at once.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
How does everyone feel about Betterment's advice not to keep an emergency fund in cash? They recommend a 40/60 stock/bond split - it seems very similar to the Vanguard LifeStrategy Conservative Growth fund. How safe is this, really? And is there some sort of risk with keeping bonds in a taxable account?

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Radbot posted:

How does everyone feel about Betterment's advice not to keep an emergency fund in cash? They recommend a 40/60 stock/bond split - it seems very similar to the Vanguard LifeStrategy Conservative Growth fund. How safe is this, really? And is there some sort of risk with keeping bonds in a taxable account?

Given that they also say to increase the fund size by 30% to account for risk, I don't see how it's hugely different from just having a smaller emergency fund in cash and investing the rest (except for Betterment getting more fees).

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
We talked about it a few pages ago. This is my opinion too:

Series DD Funding posted:

Given that they also say to increase the fund size by 30% to account for risk, I don't see how it's hugely different from just having a smaller emergency fund in cash and investing the rest (except for Betterment getting more fees).

Except there is one more thing - 100% of your Betterment emergency fund is uninsured and completely not guaranteed in any way, which is an important difference from a savings account.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Some guy on the MMM forums tried to convince me to hold my savings for a down payment on a house 2-3 years down the road in an index fund. I ignored him for exactly that reason; if there comes a time where you need that money within a super short time frame, the gradual growth of the market isn't doing poo poo for you in terms of security.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Working on depositing my first ever Roth IRA fund this week. Via Vanguard, it looks like the various assets have anywhere from a $3,000 to a $10,000 minimum. I'm depositing $5,500 for 2014 (the maximum) but this allows for investment in only one asset.

I assume it's fine to just dump all $5,500 for 2014 into one asset, then plan on doing the same for a separate asset in 2015, and then balancing it out each year. That's reasonable, yes?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Blinky2099 posted:

Working on depositing my first ever Roth IRA fund this week. Via Vanguard, it looks like the various assets have anywhere from a $3,000 to a $10,000 minimum. I'm depositing $5,500 for 2014 (the maximum) but this allows for investment in only one asset.

I assume it's fine to just dump all $5,500 for 2014 into one asset, then plan on doing the same for a separate asset in 2015, and then balancing it out each year. That's reasonable, yes?

Look into either the Target Retirement Date funds or the Lifestrategy funds. Both are just funds of funds so they are already allocated with US/international stock and US/international bonds. The most common thing to do with a Vanguard IRA is to put 100% of your contribution into one of those until you have enough to create the allocation you want with individual funds.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Target date retirement funds only have $1000 minimum and diversify you between total domestic equities, total international equities, total domestic bonds, and total international bonds according to portfolio diversification targets for your estimated retirement age.

The expense ratios are still low (less than 0.2%) and the funds automatically rebalance over time. They're the defacto recommendation for someone starting out who doesn't want to think about it too much.

Once you get more assets you can rebalance yourself into the Admiral shares ($10k minimum) of those 4 funds and bring your ER down marginally. Or you can buy ETFs which have very similar ERs to the Admiral share funds.

Deep 13
Sep 6, 2007
"Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's WORK OUT"

Blinky2099 posted:

The target retirement funds have a $1000 limit, and they're a perfectly sensible choice.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
To be fair their expense ratios are really low because they don't account for the expense ratios of their holdings.

If I created MJFund and it had an expense ratio of 50%, and then I created MJLifestrategy Fund and it held 100% MJFund shares, it could have a reported expense ratio of 0%, but it would have a lower rate of return. Once you get more money on the site, the expense ratio is literally the cost you're paying them to buy assets in the ratios they list for you. Could very well be worth it, but keep it in mind with some funds that charge like .30 to just buy their funds for you.

Full disclosure: totally have my money in a vanguard retirement fund anyway, so don't take this as a real negative.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

MJBuddy posted:

To be fair their expense ratios are really low because they don't account for the expense ratios of their holdings.

If I created MJFund and it had an expense ratio of 50%, and then I created MJLifestrategy Fund and it held 100% MJFund shares, it could have a reported expense ratio of 0%, but it would have a lower rate of return. Once you get more money on the site, the expense ratio is literally the cost you're paying them to buy assets in the ratios they list for you. Could very well be worth it, but keep it in mind with some funds that charge like .30 to just buy their funds for you.

Full disclosure: totally have my money in a vanguard retirement fund anyway, so don't take this as a real negative.

I'm almost certain this is completely wrong. The Vanguard Target Retirement Funds report acquired fund fees, which is the weighted sum of the fees of its holdings.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If I'm depositing for long-term retirement anyway, why not just dump money into the lowest expense ratios (3k or 10k minimum) into single assets and then add a new asset every 1-2 years? Wouldn't that just straight-up save me money, and the short-term risk of having a year or two in 1 asset won't matter since I'm not withdrawing the funds for 26 years?

for example, I could just deposit the 11k for last year and this year together and cover the 10k minimum for Admiral shares, then do the same 2 years down the road (11k into a new asset.)

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

MJBuddy posted:

No, their expense ratios are really low because they are the weighted average expense ratios of the underlying funds which themselves have really low expense ratios.

Blinky2099 posted:

If I'm depositing for long-term retirement anyway, why not just dump money into the lowest expense ratios (3k or 10k minimum) into single assets and then add a new asset every 1-2 years? Wouldn't that just straight-up save me money, and the short-term risk of having a year or two in 1 asset won't matter since I'm not withdrawing the funds for 26 years?

for example, I could just deposit the 11k for last year and this year together and cover the 10k minimum for Admiral shares, then do the same 2 years down the road (11k into a new asset.)
Your highest priority should be to balance your portfolio appropriately, whatever that means to you. That is easily accomplished in any number of ways at low expense using Vanguard funds. A good way to start is one of the Target Retirement or LifeStrategy funds already mentioned. Doing complicated dances to optimize share class or meet fund minimums is not worth the trouble, it's missing the forest for the trees.

slap me silly fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 20, 2015

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

Blinky2099 posted:

Yea, as "slap me silly" says, it is not worth worrying about. On 10k, the difference in expense ratio is about $10 annually. Pick the right asset classes and balance your portfolio appropriately. It is much more meaningful than the $10.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gotcha, thanks.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Not a Children posted:

Some guy on the MMM forums tried to convince me to hold my savings for a down payment on a house 2-3 years down the road in an index fund. I ignored him for exactly that reason; if there comes a time where you need that money within a super short time frame, the gradual growth of the market isn't doing poo poo for you in terms of security.

I did this and I think there's nothing wrong with it in certain limited circumstances.

1. If the market tanked and I had to keep renting or take a loss, I was just fine keeping renting.
2. My down payment was less than a year's worth of savings for me, so I could very quickly get it in cash if I so chose.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

THF13 posted:

Look into either the Target Retirement Date funds or the Lifestrategy funds. Both are just funds of funds so they are already allocated with US/international stock and US/international bonds. The most common thing to do with a Vanguard IRA is to put 100% of your contribution into one of those until you have enough to create the allocation you want with individual funds.

The other good one fund Vanguard option is the LifeStrategy Aggressive fund(80-20 stock bond split).

Only difference is the LifeStrategy Funds don't change the asset allocation over time like the Target Retirement funds.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

slap me silly posted:

No, their expense ratios are really low because they are the weighted average expense ratios of the underlying funds which themselves have really low expense ratios.

Ah then I've misread that or misremembered. Apologies.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
You'll see that for funds of funds, Vanguard reports "Acquired fund fees and expenses", which covers all the stuff you were talking about. Is it even legal to report only partial expenses without clarifying text? Not sure.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

slap me silly posted:

You'll see that for funds of funds, Vanguard reports "Acquired fund fees and expenses", which covers all the stuff you were talking about. Is it even legal to report only partial expenses without clarifying text? Not sure.

I could see it being a regulation, but it'd still be honest if it's adjusted the rates of return.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Vanguard has a nice quick guide for new investors:
https://personal.vanguard.com/us/insights/investingtruths

basically goes over many things discussed in this thread such as the importance of picking low cost index funds and avoiding traps like attempting to time the market.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

etalian posted:

Vanguard has a nice quick guide for new investors:
https://personal.vanguard.com/us/insights/investingtruths

basically goes over many things discussed in this thread such as the importance of picking low cost index funds and avoiding traps like attempting to time the market.

:colbert:

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All I see is standard variance -- getting unlucky in '99, and lucky in the '08 crash which happened to be more significant. Is this supposed to show something more than that?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Blinky2099 posted:

All I see is standard variance -- getting unlucky in '99, and lucky in the '08 crash which happened to be more significant. Is this supposed to show something more than that?

It's more about making the mistake of getting excited on the market rise, then doing panic sells when it looks like the market is crashing.

Also rebalancing is another thing that takes emotional control since it forces you sell "safe" winning socks just to buy more underperforming stocks to hit your original strategy.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Blinky2099 posted:

It shows a straightforward formula that would have beaten the market significantly over the time period. Hindsight is 20/20.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Why did you choose that time frame?

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Heh heh. I gotta see what that algorithm returns over all other 10-year periods, too, though :v:

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Blinky2099 posted:

:ssh: I was making a joke

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
About to hit my maximum no fee limit on Wealthfront. Would it be kosher to post referral links here if people want to sign up through them? Then both the new user and myself gets their amount managed for no fee increased.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

semicolonsrock posted:

About to hit my maximum no fee limit on Wealthfront. Would it be kosher to post referral links here if people want to sign up through them? Then both the new user and myself gets their amount managed for no fee increased.

You need to take it to here http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=85 and read the stickies.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

baquerd posted:

You need to take it to here http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=85 and read the stickies.

Yup. No referral chains in BFC, please.

Somebody tell me if I need to advise the same for the Robinhood stuff in the stocks thread...

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
Got it, thanks. I think there is a coupon and deals thread for robinhood -- probably wouldn't hurt if they just linked to that instead.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

slap me silly posted:

Yup. No referral chains in BFC, please.

Somebody tell me if I need to advise the same for the Robinhood stuff in the stocks thread...

The robinhood invites aren't referrals, they don't give either account any kind of benefit as far as I've seen, they just let you make an account faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Good to know, thanks.