Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Man I wish they sold the Up GT in the US. That'd be the perfect amount of car for me, and for some reason I love the sound of a 3-cyl. engine. This might have something to do with that Formula Ford thing from the Youtube thread. Oh well, Mazda2 prices are falling into a good spot, if only I could actually find a manual in the Touring trim with that hilarious green paint.

If you're a fan of 3 cylinders, why not check out the Fiesta with the turbo 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

MrChips posted:

...or if they sell an Audi version they could call it the Cock Up!

And if they made a personalized edition, they could call it Up! Yours.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Math You posted:

That is because it's a stupid argument. You're going to lose that heat when you get in the car. I've never, as a Canadian, gotten in the trunk of a car, closed it, and wormed my way to the driver's seat to preserve heat.

My car history = 97 Taurus SHO, 2001 Saab 93 convertible, 2009 Chrysler 300c, and a Ford Fiesta (I found awesome used cars through HS & College). I can fit 583748x more stuff in my little go cart than I could in the 300c, which is a loving boat.

I will never buy a sedan again in my life. At least while I'm a 1 car kind of dude. Already looking at TSX and CTS sport wagons. ^_^

I didn't even know Acura made the TSX wagon till I saw one out of the blue the other day. I wish we could get an AMG or Audi S wagon here in the US. I agree with you, any car with a trunk sucks. Hatchbacks for life. You have so much more utility with a hatch.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KozmoNaut posted:

And if they made a personalized edition, they could call it Up! Yours.
The electic one actually is called the E-Up! - I'm from Yorkshire, this amuses me.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

PeterWeller posted:

Presumably that isn't available either - I doubt it'd make a lot of sense with how US economy ratings are calculated

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

dissss posted:

Presumably that isn't available either - I doubt it'd make a lot of sense with how US economy ratings are calculated

guess again. The us is getting both the 1.0 i3t and 1.6 i4t ecoboost engines in the fiesta this year.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Hot diggity!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Oh my. Please tell me it has a drivetrain option to live up to the looks.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
You'll probably get the Skyactiv 2.0 as the base engine and the 2.5 as the up-option. At least, that's my prediction. Might get lucky and Mazda will offer the Skyactiv Diesel in it.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Interior looks SHARP. Nice work, Mazda.

Recently test-drove 2013 3 with my wife. That was a great little car. The Skyactiv 2.0 is a punchy little motor and the auto trans felt great. Not as comfortable as the Elantra we drove the same day though.

jcutner
Aug 6, 2006
sup
Skyactiv isn't CVT, is it?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Skyactiv is primarily a series of engines, but there's also a series of transmissions, both automatic and manual. Everything I've heard about the manual transmissions is positive. Nice short throws, positive action etc.

I think the automatics are torque converter boxes, but Mazda claims that they combine all of the best features of CVTs, dual-clutch transmissions and conventional automatics.

With those kinds of looks for the new 3, I bet they're already putting the final touches on a new Mazdaspeed3.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Those shots certainly disguise the huge angle on the bottom of the windows. The rears be tiny and there's nothing behind the door. The front looks drat fine though.

Yeah reports are the 2.0 and 2.5 skyactiv. I'm sure manual will be available on both, you can get the 6 in a stick in all trims here.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Phy posted:

I'm sure manual will be available on both, you can get the 6 in a stick in all trims here.

You must not be from the US.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
I hope the Mazdaspeed3 makes a comeback.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

angryhampster posted:

You must not be from the US.

To be fair, you can get a manual in 2 out of the 3 trim levels in the US. Only the Grand Touring is auto-only.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1305_2014_chevrolet_cruze_diesel_first_drive/

quote:

When General Motors began the global rollout of its Chevy Cruze in early 2009, the stakes were incredibly high. With bankruptcy looming, GM’s new compact simply had to be good. Some 2 million Cruzes have been sold worldwide since, and it’s safe to say what has become Chevy’s most popular nameplate has played a significant part in helping revitalize the biggest of the Detroit three. Now, GM believes the time is right to further expand the Cruze’s mission with the 2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel.

Of course we have diesel fuel here in the States -- it’s listed in green at the bottom of the price sign at your corner gas station, and it is usually a bit more expensive than the other stuff. But until recently, it’s primarily been powering higher-end offerings from German automakers or American pickups with enough torque to tow the moon around its orbit.

On paper at least, diesel is a no-brainer: more power, better efficiency. It’s so obvious, in fact, that no one can say why affordable diesel cars haven’t taken off in the States, where our fast, open highways are ideal for low-end, torquey diesel power. (Memories of soot-spewing Chevette diesels may have something to do with it.) In speaking with some Chevy representatives at the Cruze Diesel launch event, the best they could come up with is, “I guess we just didn’t need it yet.” Whether it turns out to be the right move or not, Chevrolet deserves props for taking a chance with a diesel car aimed at the U.S. masses.

Oh my god oh my god I want one I want one :ohdear:

DrPain fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 26, 2013

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

blk posted:

Hot diggity!

This design language is working fantastically for Mazda. I can't wait to see what the next miata looks like.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

I wish they'd been available when I was ready to purchase. I got bit by the diesel bug after a test drive and only had the one option. The Mazda 3 with a diesel would be a perfect replacement if/when the inevitable VW problems start popping up.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

quote:

It’s so obvious, in fact, that no one can say why affordable diesel cars haven’t taken off in the States

Could it be because nobody sells affordable diesel cars :iiam:

The jetta starts at $16,780, want a diesel? you have to pay for $4,000 in additional options to get the "SE with convenience features" package before you're even allowed the choice of paying an extra $3000 for the diesel engine.
the golf starts at $18,095, want a diesel? that'll be another $6,400

The cruze is no different. base is $17,170, cheapest diesel option is $25,710. over $7500 for the diesel. That's even $4,000 more than the cruse eco, which is only 1mpg off city, 7mpg off highway. over 50,000 miles of 50/50 city/highway, you would save $100 with the diesel.

The problem is, efficiency is a fashion in the US, and they charge for it like one. It's a way of life in europe.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

blk posted:

Hot diggity!

Jesus fuckin jumped up christ that's gorgeous.

Gimme the GT model with the 2.5 and a stickshift for my next commuter.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
My word! Central tach! Yes!

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

PeterWeller posted:

If I'm not mistaken the 1.0T will end up carrying a price premium over the base 1.6, plus it's got a whole lot of very impressive sounding tech that might end up failing.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ziploc posted:

My word! Central tach! Yes!

Anything to lessen the appearance of the Two-Gauge Bunny.

(Wherein the tach and speedo form the eyes, and the steering wheel forms the nose, teeth, and whiskers of a cartoon bunny rabbit. It's in every loving car.)

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

If I'm not mistaken the 1.0T will end up carrying a price premium over the base 1.6

It will cost more, though I'm not sure anyone knows just how much yet. It also adds 3hp and 36 lb-ft of torque while being 'the most fuel-efficient non-hybrid sold in North America', or so Ford claims.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Powershift posted:

Could it be because nobody sells affordable diesel cars :iiam:

The jetta starts at $16,780, want a diesel? you have to pay for $4,000 in additional options to get the "SE with convenience features" package before you're even allowed the choice of paying an extra $3000 for the diesel engine.
the golf starts at $18,095, want a diesel? that'll be another $6,400

The cruze is no different. base is $17,170, cheapest diesel option is $25,710. over $7500 for the diesel. That's even $4,000 more than the cruse eco, which is only 1mpg off city, 7mpg off highway. over 50,000 miles of 50/50 city/highway, you would save $100 with the diesel.

The problem is, efficiency is a fashion in the US, and they charge for it like one. It's a way of life in europe.

Diesel cars cost more to make due to emissions equipment and stronger engines. Diesel fuel is also more expensive per gallon than gas in the US. The only reason diesels are so popular in Europe is due to tax incentives and the nature of their oil imports/industry.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

blk posted:

Hot diggity!

This just reminds me how sad I am that there is no 6 wagon :(

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Math You posted:

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Phy posted:

Anything to lessen the appearance of the Two-Gauge Bunny.

(Wherein the tach and speedo form the eyes, and the steering wheel forms the nose, teeth, and whiskers of a cartoon bunny rabbit. It's in every loving car.)

Oh my god I thought I was the only one. It's especially bad on the current-gen 3. The teeth are so pronounced.

Ayem
Mar 4, 2008

No 6 wagon in North America, though...not even in Canada, where we got the old 6 wagon.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Just because you don't get it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Math You posted:

I keep wondering what I want to replace my '04 Mazda6 sedan with. The only reasonable thing I can think of is a 6 wagon with a 5-speed. They're incredibly rare though...right now autotrader shows only a handful in the entire country for sale. There are simply not enough options for a midsize wagons in the US. The Subaru Legacy is the only other one I can think of and the fuel economy isn't nearly as good as the 6.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

angryhampster posted:

I keep wondering what I want to replace my '04 Mazda6 sedan with. The only reasonable thing I can think of is a 6 wagon with a 5-speed. They're incredibly rare though...right now autotrader shows only a handful in the entire country for sale. There are simply not enough options for a midsize wagons in the US. The Subaru Legacy is the only other one I can think of and the fuel economy isn't nearly as good as the 6.

Plus the new ones are so big they might as well be an SUV. The 2014 Legacy is bigger in every dimension than the original Tribeca.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

angryhampster posted:

There are two Mazda6 wagons for sale in central Indiana right now. One's even a stick.

Edit: 5 minutes on search tempest and I've found over a dozen 5 speeds.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 26, 2013

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

That new Mazda3 interior is tits. Might have found a replacement for my Focus next year.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Rhyno posted:

There are two Mazda6 wagons for sale in central Indiana right now. One's even a stick.

Edit: 5 minutes on search tempest and I've found over a dozen 5 speeds.

You're apparently better at the internet than me. I'm not seeing any without a buttload of miles.

Nayt
May 13, 2013
Sold our first two 2014 Nissan (Versa) Notes we got. Black and White SVs. Both automatic. I was pleasantly surprised, tons of room. Seats very comfortable and the CVT wasn't loud or doggy compared to the Rogue. Better than the sedan (13s/14s), and of course the old Versa Hatchback. RIP old insides.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Is this for 2014 or has there been one and just not in Canada? Now you are going to make me really happy and tell me there is a speed version.. Right?

Edit: Just read follow up replies. FUUUUUUUUUUU

Is a decent wagon too much to ask for? You can get a Subaru with horrid MPG(MPG is not the issue. It is the lack of performance to go along with it.), and no connectivity for music, or spend $50,000 on a BMW or Audi.
The complete lack of options makes the jetta wagon slightly attractive. No, wait.. I'd still rather eat rear end in a top hat.

It has been a good year for sedans and no wagons to show for it.

Math You fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 27, 2013

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Well crap, I was certain I was gonna get a VW wagon in a couple years (because wagon, not because VW) but that 3 is making me wonder...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Math You posted:

Is this for 2014 or has there been one and just not in Canada? Now you are going to make me really happy and tell me there is a speed version.. Right?

It's not in North America.