Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

My basement got completely flooded last night; since that's where most/all of the utilities are run through, I can't get air conditioning and it's only a matter of time until my house starts getting filled with summer heat. Any chance of admin leave applying without just being told to suck it up and come to the building or use annual leave?

St Louis area?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

My basement got completely flooded last night; since that's where most/all of the utilities are run through, I can't get air conditioning and it's only a matter of time until my house starts getting filled with summer heat. Any chance of admin leave applying without just being told to suck it up and come to the building or use annual leave?

It doesn't hurt to ask but I really doubt it. Unless you're in an official natural disaster area I've never seen admin leave allowed for more than an hour or two for something like that.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

PneumonicBook posted:

St Louis area?

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My agency just pushed return to office from Labor Day to January 2023 lmao

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

Thats awful, sorry that poo poo happened. I'm in Wisconsin and I wasn't aware that my window well drains were all clogged and also the seals on my basement window had all failed, until we had some record rainfall.

Flooding basements are the worst.

As far as the admin leave, I'd talk to HR and the equivalent of your department head. OPM says it's grantable in case of emergencies and I'd say what happened in St Louis was an emergency, but I'm just a computer toucher, what do I know?

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Any ideas why a posted job would be cancelled and reposted well into the hiring process?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Grade change?

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Person they wanted hosed up and didn't apply on time?

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Ding ding ding

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Person they wanted didn't tailor their resume enough to make the list.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

GD_American posted:

Person they wanted didn't tailor their resume enough to make the list.

Or they hosed up the listing and accidentally categorically excluded the person they wanted (by listing with the wrong location for example)

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Any ideas why a posted job would be cancelled and reposted well into the hiring process?

Well-qualified disabled veteran applied

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

All excellent guesses. I wish I knew the actual reason, but for now it's Schrodinger Time and everyone is either correct or wrong.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Add "some random other inscrutable screw up on behalf of the hiring manager or more likely HR." My first fed job was posted 3 times in a month long period because "something" kept getting screwed up, I never got details on what exactly. I kept applying when it was reposted, it was a multiple opening posting and I made the cut along with 4 others and there were no signs that any of us had connections to any existing employees or that some other preferred candidate internal or external missed out.

Definitely reapply, could be a waste, or not.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
There are many, many reasons that could happen yeah. A brief summary of the massive dysfunction in hiring going on at my agency right now:

-The new contract says we (management) only has to interview a person once per announcement. However, our business unit is broken up into areas each with their own interview panels and selecting officials as they have independent management chains. They put multiple PODs/areas on a single announcement, which has resulted in an absolute nightmare where if someone applies to more than one area, we have to figure it out and plan who will interview the applicant and then 'share notes' instead of interviewing the person who might have applied to your office, as they only get 1 interview. In practice this means if you get interviewed for the first area to claim you and they want you then that's where you will go, otherwise you are probably not getting hired anywhere. In the past you'd interview for each area and they would make an independent decision. In my opinion it is deeply unfair to both parties and I have no idea why the union agreed to it, or management even wanted it. Naturally, even deciding who will interview for which location has required spreadsheets and many, many emails for something that was never relevant before.

-The personnel function is so backed up that we don't have direct contact with them and they won't respond to us. Instead, we have a business unit point of contact, who communicates it to like 6 other people, who then communicate it to another middleman, who then supposedly communicates it to personnel. There is no accountability at all to the system so if something doesn't work all I can do is send an email to start another chain going.

-Due to the complicated system and like 20 people involved in the process after I make a selection, it's taking 3-6 months or more to bring people on as an INTERNAL hire. Previously this was handled by an email.

-Many of the announcements were opened and then canceled due to errors in the posting on USA Jobs

-The education/experience requirements for our primary technical position, which ranges from a grade 9 to a grade 14 but does completely different things at each level, is written such that we have vastly over/under qualified people in the applicant pools. No one seems to have the ability or inclination to fix it

-It's rare we will ever pull an external cert because if a veteran applies to a position we have to hire them 99% of the time no matter how unqualified they are. They can technically be bypassed if its egregious enough but it takes a lot of work and goes up like 3-4 levels of management - not entirely unheard of but very uncommon. The order goes internal, external veteran, external everyone else. There's probably less than 10% chance we request external at all instead of just doing a non-selection if no one we want to hire makes the list. Last year, a veteran applied to every single announcement location in the country and tied the process up for weeks on end since we had to get their written declination for each one. This is besides the fact that we are put in a position to have to hire someone who is almost guaranteed to fail at the job.

-Due to the above, if you are a highly qualified external applicant who doesn't have a veteran's preference the chances I'll ever even see your name are slim to none. Even if we do get the external list, if there are too many names on it we might just non-select instead of doing interviews, because if we do 1 interview we have to interview everyone which is incredibly time consuming if we are only interested in 1 or 2 candidates (this also applies to internal lists but there are usually only 4-5 names so not as big of a deal).

Also, regarding making the BQ list in the first place.

Candidate A works on my team and is a known quantity. They are a great worker and very technically proficient, and clearly ready to move up to the next level. Candidate A is also very honest and when faced with a choice where it could be misinterpreted as dishonesty or exaggeration, will always choose to be more conservative and be on the safe side so as not to 'over-sell' themselves. Has a 4.6+ rating.

Candidate B works elsewhere - could be another business unit entirely with no experience in the job. But, they are very aggressive when it comes to checking those boxes on the application and figure the more the merrier, even if they haven't actually performed the function or duty being asked about on the application. Also has a 4.6+ rating.

In this situation, Candidate A is probably not making the BQ list because there are a lot more Candidate Bs, and who can blame them? We aren't allowed to ask questions about their responses! So, in such a case we might interview and then non-select because Candidate B will probably have an awful interview anyways. And the whole process starts over. I can't tell you how many times I have had good employees call me in tears because they didn't make the BQ and have no idea why, but then I look and some random person who doesn't even work in our business unit did.

heated game moment fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jul 28, 2022

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

every day I'm in awe that i managed to ever get hired

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

heated game moment posted:

There are many, many reasons that could happen yeah. A brief summary of the massive dysfunction in hiring going on at my agency right now:

-The new contract says we (management) only has to interview a person once per announcement. However, our business unit is broken up into areas each with their own interview panels and selecting officials as they have independent management chains. They put multiple PODs/areas on a single announcement, which has resulted in an absolute nightmare where if someone applies to more than one area, we have to figure it out and plan who will interview the applicant and then 'share notes' instead of interviewing the person who might have applied to your office, as they only get 1 interview. In practice this means if you get interviewed for the first area to claim you and they want you then that's where you will go, otherwise you are probably not getting hired anywhere. In the past you'd interview for each area and they would make an independent decision. In my opinion it is deeply unfair to both parties and I have no idea why the union agreed to it, or management even wanted it. Naturally, even deciding who will interview for which location has required spreadsheets and many, many emails for something that was never relevant before.

-The personnel function is so backed up that we don't have direct contact with them and they won't respond to us. Instead, we have a business unit point of contact, who communicates it to like 6 other people, who then communicate it to another middleman, who then supposedly communicates it to personnel. There is no accountability at all to the system so if something doesn't work all I can do is send an email to start another chain going.

-Due to the complicated system and like 20 people involved in the process after I make a selection, it's taking 3-6 months or more to bring people on as an INTERNAL hire. Previously this was handled by an email.

-Many of the announcements were opened and then canceled due to errors in the posting on USA Jobs

-The education/experience requirements for our primary technical position, which ranges from a grade 9 to a grade 14 but does completely different things at each level, is written such that we have vastly over/under qualified people in the applicant pools. No one seems to have the ability or inclination to fix it

-It's rare we will ever pull an external cert because if a veteran applies to a position we have to hire them 99% of the time no matter how unqualified they are. They can technically be bypassed if its egregious enough but it takes a lot of work and goes up like 3-4 levels of management - not entirely unheard of but very uncommon. The order goes internal, external veteran, external everyone else. There's probably less than 10% chance we request external at all instead of just doing a non-selection if no one we want to hire makes the list. Last year, a veteran applied to every single announcement location in the country and tied the process up for weeks on end since we had to get their written declination for each one. This is besides the fact that we are put in a position to have to hire someone who is almost guaranteed to fail at the job.

-Due to the above, if you are a highly qualified external applicant who doesn't have a veteran's preference the chances I'll ever even see your name are slim to none. Even if we do get the external list, if there are too many names on it we might just non-select instead of doing interviews, because if we do 1 interview we have to interview everyone which is incredibly time consuming if we are only interested in 1 or 2 candidates (this also applies to internal lists but there are usually only 4-5 names so not as big of a deal).

Also, regarding making the BQ list in the first place.

Candidate A works on my team and is a known quantity. They are a great worker and very technically proficient, and clearly ready to move up to the next level. Candidate A is also very honest and when faced with a choice where it could be misinterpreted as dishonesty or exaggeration, will always choose to be more conservative and be on the safe side so as not to 'over-sell' themselves. Has a 4.6+ rating.

Candidate B works elsewhere - could be another business unit entirely with no experience in the job. But, they are very aggressive when it comes to checking those boxes on the application and figure the more the merrier, even if they haven't actually performed the function or duty being asked about on the application. Also has a 4.6+ rating.

In this situation, Candidate A is probably not making the BQ list because there are a lot more Candidate Bs, and who can blame them? We aren't allowed to ask questions about their responses! So, in such a case we might interview and then non-select because Candidate B will probably have an awful interview anyways. And the whole process starts over. I can't tell you how many times I have had good employees call me in tears because they didn't make the BQ and have no idea why, but then I look and some random person who doesn't even work in our business unit did.

dang do you work with us at ssa too????
(For real though, good post)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
The spots I (external) have recently applied for have 1294 and 655 and [not closed yet] applicants. I'm not hopeful.

The not remote spot with only 20 applicants I've received two "you're qualified but we have to look at veterans first" emails.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

i am also shocked i got hired, even if its excepted service

looking around at old powerpoints about the force structure of my component idk if there’ll be an easy gs 12+ move to make but the ladder to 11 next year sure is sweet

i’m still in one of the fema reservist fb groups and the tales of woe at not getting deployed or hired after being around for 5 or 6 years are wild to consider when i applied Oct 2020, got in as a reservist Feb 2021, and then got hired full time March 2022

right place right time …

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Does the contract say management can only interview a person once per announcement?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Discendo Vox posted:

Does the contract say management can only interview a person once per announcement?

It would be hilarious if the contract says they have to interview each person at least once (as heated game moment posted) but they've been treating it as "may interview each person at most once"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Devor posted:

It would be hilarious if the contract says they have to interview each person at least once (as heated game moment posted) but they've been treating it as "may interview each person at most once"

Given that they said management was the party that wanted this, I definitely think it's worth checking into.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Discendo Vox posted:

I raised this argument and got overruled :(

It would make things so much easier

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Discendo Vox posted:

Given that they said management was the party that wanted this, I definitely think it's worth checking into.

If it's at most once, this seems like a complete garbage rule. How would a hypothetical employee be disadvantaged by interviewing more than once? More offers only improves your position. If anything you would want the opposite - from both the employee and management side, interview with the person you'll actually be working with/for.

Maybe there was a complaint that qualified people were being asked to interview by literally everyone, and it was a burden? Or maybe just one or two squeaky wheels complained about multiple interviews when they didn't get an offer? Or perhaps this somehow advantages current employees over outside hires, so the union endorsed it because it screws over people who aren't currently members?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Discendo Vox posted:

It doesn't matter. The rules as written are immaterial to the process in place.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Toshimo posted:

It doesn't matter. The rules as written are immaterial to the process in place.

I assume this comment is tongue in cheek? Because pointing out that someone made a lovely, incorrect interpretation of a labor agreement, and the interpretation is hamstringing the hiring process for no good reason, does not seem like tilting at windmills.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I raised this argument and got overruled :(

It would make things so much easier

Has the union been made aware of this? Why does management favor this approach?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Devor posted:

I assume this comment is tongue in cheek? Because pointing out that someone made a lovely, incorrect interpretation of a labor agreement, and the interpretation is hamstringing the hiring process for no good reason, does not seem like tilting at windmills.

Where I'm at, the hiring process is irrecoverably broken and it very much doesn't matter what the rules are because it's career suicide to try and point out that a hiring manager is breaking them. YMMV.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Discendo Vox posted:

Has the union been made aware of this? Why does management favor this approach?

It's literally in the contract they bargained for. I've pointed it out to a few chapter presidents as well but I'm basically yelling at a cloud.

I believe the theory on management's side was that maybe each area would have their own cert, but that is not the case so far. It's only an issue because the same announcement might cover jobs in CA, UT, TX, NY, and FL or something. You could have 8 PODs with 6 different groups in 3 different areas and if someone applied to this under the old system they could theoretically get 3 interviews, now it's 1.

This could thus be avoided if Personnel or whoever actually makes the certs up would do it this way, but good luck with that.

Oh another thing - whoever makes the certs for the announcement can't seem to put the correct reviewers (selecting officials & interview panel members) to have access to them. Guess who gets to input everything for the entire country because I managed to get added as a reviewer but they can't after repeated requests?

The painful part is this entire process was relatively simple before this year. I have no idea how the wheels fell off so fast

heated game moment fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 28, 2022

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Applied to the USACE, maybe i'll have more of a chance when it's not flooded with Marshall grads.

Lucca Blight
Jun 2, 2009
The veterans first bullshit drives me up the wall and I hate that it's a thing. :911::gizz:

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Just enlist and bing bang boom not a problem anymore

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
I got in through Peace Corps. There’s a few agencies that tend to hire PCVs. The special hiring authority only lasts for 12 months so you need to make the most of it. I started applying for fed jobs on the PCV job board 4 months before my service ended and started my fed job the week after I got back to the US.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
lol I only got my postal and IRS jobs by applying to agencies so desperate for meat to put into the grinder that the only thing I had to do was score high enough on a test. If I had to interview, I'd have been laughed out of the room and deserved it.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Does anyone have any experience getting hired through Schedule A? I'm wondering if I should bug the people who I emailed or just let it sit.

Lucca Blight
Jun 2, 2009

Alucard posted:

Just enlist and bing bang boom not a problem anymore

Having one kidney put a damper on that route, unfortunately

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
I'm looking at going to a fed job from the national labs and got the offer, but I'm wondering how (or if) going in at higher steps works. From poking around the OPM website it appears to be something for specific qualifications, and the niche I was hired to fill has single-digit numbers of people in the US with that expertise. I counteroffered starting above step 1, but is this something that really happens, or is it more of a pipe dream I shouldn't be expecting?

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Istvun posted:

I'm looking at going to a fed job from the national labs and got the offer, but I'm wondering how (or if) going in at higher steps works. From poking around the OPM website it appears to be something for specific qualifications, and the niche I was hired to fill has single-digit numbers of people in the US with that expertise. I counteroffered starting above step 1, but is this something that really happens, or is it more of a pipe dream I shouldn't be expecting?

From what I've heard and read in this thread, it really depends on who's hiring you and their current circumstances. Some people have gotten it to work out for them, others have had offers pulled. I'd say it's a bit more of a pipe dream, but heck, you never know!

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Istvun posted:

I've negotiated the last two job offers but it's highly specific to the agency and your personal situation. The first was a Air Force to Navy promotion and they were violating the opm two step promotion rules, which is borderline illegal. The second was Air Force to FAA lateral where I sent the following email:

quote:

While I was excited to receive a tentative offer I was surprised by the salary figure offered. In the department of defense, when a position is openly competed outside the immediate organization and interviewed for, the person offered the position receives a quality step increase. In pay band systems, a roughly equivalent salary increase is given after converting time in grade proportionally to place the employee in a pay band. The salary offered here is closer to what I would have expected for someone moving to a non-competitive internal position or a position in a lower grade.

Similar postings in the Air Force and Navy would have resulted in a base pay of about 102,000 with corresponding locality. Is there any room for negotiating this offer? I did not expect to be at the absolute top of the pay band but I do feel that such a small salary increase is out of step with both industry and government norms for such a significant change in roles and responsibilities. I appreciate your understanding and hope to hear from you soon.

The most important things are to remain professional, factually justify your salary request, and try to use HR appropriate language. If it's easier for the HR person to copy and paste your request in to the appropriate form than argue with you then they'll probably acquiece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Leviathan Song posted:

they were violating the opm two step promotion rules, which is borderline illegal.
The two step rule sets a minimum for promotions, but not a maximum. HR just interprets it as both...

OPM posted:

The two-step promotion rule states that a GS employee promoted to a position in a higher grade is entitled to basic pay at the lowest rate of the higher grade that exceeds his or her existing rate of basic pay by not less than two step increases of the grade from which promoted. 

They interpret the entitled to basic pay at the lowest rate as the maximum terminology but the not less than part would indicate you can go more than two steps, just not less. The "exceeds" covers that the rate has to be higher so the not less than appears to modify the step count.

Alucard fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Aug 2, 2022