Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
Or just get through the essential stuff:

Star Wars ("A New Hope" if you're into those later edits)
The Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi

Then play as much Dark Forces -> Jedi Knight/Academy, X-Wing, and Tie Fighter as you can fit in.

There--you've just experienced the best of Star Wars, especially if you have the original cuts! For bonus fun, watch the movies with a little kid who has never seen them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

SeanBeansShako posted:

Ah, but how many of those hours are actual Star Wars without the embarassing silly?

About 26.
25 if you had a problem with the Mortis trilogy. :colbert:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Clone Wars show is as bad or worse than anything in the actual prequel movies, how it has defenders above the age of 10 baffles me.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chairman Capone posted:

The Clone Wars show is as bad or worse than anything in the actual prequel movies, how it has defenders above the age of 10 baffles me.

Well, from what I can tell, it's really for a younger audience, but since it has some things that older viewers can also enjoy and said older viewers have taken this as proof that it's a serious programme for serious adults.

Of course, they're probably a minority. I'm sure there are many fans who enjoy it on its own merits.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Chairman Capone posted:

I've only watched 2 episodes of it so far (the first two) and while it's definitely not "serious" fare, or have the subtle actually-aimed-at-adults humour that Spongebob or Adventure Time has...

I'll defend it on the basis that "It's better than FOTJ".

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Episodes of The World At War are less depressing and more intelligent than FOTJ.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Where should FOTJ rank on the Expanded Universe scale of quality? Above or below The Crystal Star?

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Below, for me. At least Crystal Star was memorable, if only for being so dumb. I finished FotJ and I already forgot most of what happened.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Coincidentally, this interview with the writers of FOTJ went up on the Wookieepedia homepage today.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Metal Loaf posted:

Coincidentally, this interview with the writers of FOTJ went up on the Wookieepedia homepage today.

Yeah, but it's about the books before the series went to utter poo poo, so I can't hate on them that much.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Metal Loaf posted:

This really just reiterates how much potential from the first book was thrown directly down the shitter.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I would throw so much money at Lucasbooks if they just retconned the EU back to the end of The Unifying Force. It's that simple.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I would throw so much money at Lucasbooks if they just retconned the EU back to the end of The Unifying Force. It's that simple.

I'd honestly prefer retconning back to pre-Yuzhaan-Vong and coming up with a sequence with them that doesn't have such a polarity shift in terms of "We're losing oh wait we're winning now huzzah" at the halfway point. Alternatively, actually go somewhere with the Re-Rebel Alliance they start at Borealis.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I would never want the NJO to be thrown out (even though I think a majority of its books are decent at best, and it definitely has a number of clunkers) because Traitor, Destiny's Way (even though I have some problems with it) and The Unifying Force are all high on my list of favorite SW books. Definitely scores better than anything after it (at least in the "main series" category...Riptide/Crosscurrent were good, IMO).

Also, this may be an unpopular opinion, but I'm going to go there...I liked Vector Prime. I don't think RA Salvatore is a great writer by any means, and the entire book is overshadowed by Chewie's death (as well as the jarring injection of prequel stuff) but I thought it set up the Vong invasion as good as anything could, and I liked the atmosphere of the chapters set on the base whose inhabitants were getting killed off by the Vong infiltrator.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I will admit that Traitor was excellent and easily one of, if not *the*, best books in the NJO arc.

Which is why I literally just stopped reading EU books when they swung it into a AND THEN JACEN WAS A SITH plot twist. Obviously I've kind of picked them up again since then, but it's never been the same. I mean, seriously, the entire book was the beginning of this idea that no, the Han-Leia-Luke trifecta won't swoop in to save you every time something goes wrong, and maybe we can actually move to plot points that revolve around the new generation of Jedi without cameo appearances of every original-movie person every single time, and maybe the Force is more about your personal choices instead of "You have used Force Lightning, you gain 10 Sith Points", and "You are unhappy about your secret marriage to Padme. UNHAPPINESS IS AN EVIL EMOTION. YOU KILL YOUNGLINGS AND BECOME A SITH".

And then they just completely take a dump in it, roll back every positive thing that came from Vergere by retconning a secret Sith rendezvous in the middle of a Yuuzhan Vong invasion, which makes PERFECT SENSE GUYS because Yuuzhan Vong are BORN EVIL and christ I don't even know. gently caress everything.

:bahgawd:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What plot points were abandoned in the course of the NJO? Leaving aside the really big one, which was the "Jacen was meant to die in Star By Star" angle, the Insiders was probably the most obvious, while the Jacen Solo/Danni Quee romance subplot was another. I've heard that there were more ideas that were going to be explored, but I'm not sure what they were.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
In Rebel Stand and Rebel Dream, they make a huge plot point of Wedge&co realizing that they've been set up to fail completely and start making plots to start another Rebel Alliance made of just people they trust, to operate outside the bounds of the New Republic (since it basically looks at that point that it's going to end up falling in on itself). For the rest of those two books, everything Han and Leia do are based around picking up supplies and dropping off agents related to that.

Shortly after that, in...Destiny's Way, I think? Things start looking better, someone makes a comment of "So what do we do with this bunch of commandos we have", and someone else says "Well, we'll play it close to our chest and not say anything about them for now", and that's it. That's the last you hear of this plot point they spent a decent portion of two books setting up, for the rest of the series.

Edit:

quote:

...the Insiders was probably the most obvious...

I can read, hurr. But yes, that's the one that I'm irritated about.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Metal Loaf posted:

What plot points were abandoned in the course of the NJO? Leaving aside the really big one, which was the "Jacen was meant to die in Star By Star" angle, the Insiders was probably the most obvious, while the Jacen Solo/Danni Quee romance subplot was another. I've heard that there were more ideas that were going to be explored, but I'm not sure what they were.

I know that there was originally going to be a trilogy of NJO books with Danni Quee as the main character, which I think got replaced with the Anakin and Tahiri centered books after it was decided that Anakin was going to die. Stackpole also was originally going to do a third NJO book, but I imagine it probably wouldn't have been anything dramatically different.

There's also the fact that the Yuuzhan Vong were originally supposed to have been some kind of dark side force user (a strong rumor being they were originally going to be exiled Sith). They also weren't originally planned as being biotech users or sado-masochists (Salvatore invented the former in Vector Prime and Stackpole the latter in his books, and all later authors ran with them). Also I think Salvatore has said that originally Nom Anor and Kyp Durron weren't going to be in Vector Prime, but LFL suggested he incorporate them after he handed in his first draft.

There's no evidence of it, but I think it's clear that Cal Omas wasn't originally intended to become Chief of State either, considering he has about three paragraphs of dialogue in the entire series before Destiny's Way and he's actually mentioned as having been killed in Allston's books (before that was rectonned as just being a rumor in DW). I think they realized they just didn't have any other series-original character who could be used.

Edit: One other thing comes to mind. In one of Stackpole's books, Pellaeon is revealed to have a Force-user as one of his top aides. I really thought that she was going to play a role later on, possibly serve as a link between the Jedi and the Empire, but I don't think she was even mentioned ever again.

The Insiders thing could have been an interesting idea, but how would it really work? It basically just seemed like an excuse to bring the same old OT-era movie and Bantam characters together to once more become the leaders of the galaxy by fighting the Vong and the New Republic at the same time, which doesn't really seem either effective or fitting with the (intended) goal of the NJO to shift away from just those same group of characters.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chairman Capone posted:

Edit: One other thing comes to mind. In one of Stackpole's books, Pellaeon is revealed to have a Force-user as one of his top aides. I really thought that she was going to play a role later on, possibly serve as a link between the Jedi and the Empire, but I don't think she was even mentioned ever again.

A possible starting point for the Imperial Knights in the Legacy comic book, perhaps? Who can really say?

Anyway, there is one other thing that comes to mind. Back before the NJO kicked off, Nom Anor made a minor appearance as the real power behind the villains in the second Crimosn Empire miniseries. As it transpires, Dark Horse was going to attempt an "invasion storyline" which was quite different from how the NJO ended up, but it never got off the ground. I guess that's what you're referring to, though.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
They suckered me on "May The Fourth" with this one:
http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/Star_Wars_The_Blueprints_On_Sale_145269.asp

quote:

Star Wars: The Blueprints On Sale

Star Wars: The Blueprints: May the 4th Be With You Promotion

In celebration of May the 4th Be With You, AKA Star Wars Day, Epic Ink Books is offering an exclusive discount on Star Wars: The Blueprints.

Starting May 3 through May 6, customers who order Star Wars: The Blueprints at the Epic Ink website and enter the promo code MAYFORCE12 at checkout will receive 25% off the book. Discount is valid on both the ultra-limited signed edition (books numbered 1-100; normally $1,000) and the limited un-signed edition (books numbered 101-5,000; normally $500). As always, orders placed via their main website receive FREE ground shipping in the continental United States.

Promotion valid May 3-6, 2012. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Available only at https://www.theblueprintsbook.com and https://www.epicinkbooks.com.
http://www.theblueprintsbook.com/the-trailer/

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Finally, something worse than the EU:

Donny and Marie's Star Wars Special - https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PMW4Ad8fIF4!

EDIT: Good lord... Paul Lynde and Darth Vader...

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 5, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The NJO had problems, but it was at least unique and did the job of giving the galaxy a clean slate and passing the torch to the younger generation of Jedi. But then Troy Denning happened and gently caress everything.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Chairman Capone posted:

The Insiders thing could have been an interesting idea, but how would it really work? It basically just seemed like an excuse to bring the same old OT-era movie and Bantam characters together to once more become the leaders of the galaxy by fighting the Vong and the New Republic at the same time, which doesn't really seem either effective or fitting with the (intended) goal of the NJO to shift away from just those same group of characters.

The obvious issue is that literally a book after the Insiders were introduced, the New Republic/Galactic Alliance magically got pulled out of it's nosedive politically (thus removing the *need* for there to be Insiders) over the course of about a hundred pages by smugglers blackmailing senators into voting for a specific jedi-sympathetic person, thus removing 100% of the political infighting subplot that had been occurring during the series thus far.

...yeah.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Although it is pretty silly, I love that part because it's just Lando being sleezy as poo poo and scheming.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
That is, in general, pretty fun, which is why I have such hopes for the coming Zhan book.

The issue I have is that every political naysayer and sideplot instantly disappears. Even Fyror (sp?) makes a huge huffy fit...and then just completely disappears, never to be heard from again, as everyone fully supports the new Jedi puppet leader. Which is hilarious, because in Destiny's Way he actually brings up legit points about Jedi being quasi-political secret service agents, which Luke admits is a good point...and then completely forgets about, and nothing is done with it until the Jedi leave couruscant a decade or two later.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Topless Robot did a piece on The 30 Nerdiest Mad Magazine Covers and several Star Wars parodies made the cut. I'd pay good money to see this version of RotJ:

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

I gotta say, that MAD Magazine cover's artist did a really good job with the character likeness. Better than most of the comics I've seen.

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

The Mr. T version of Vader is so badass he managed to steal Duke Nukem's belt buckle.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

that awful man posted:

The Mr. T version of Vader is so badass he managed to steal Duke Nukem's belt buckle.

That's just pretty much what the original belt buckle looks like. Props to the artist though for recreating it so faithfully and adding the twist of changing the light reflection into a radiation symbol.

For comparison, Duke's belt buckle.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Dick Trauma posted:

Finally, something worse than the EU:

Donny and Marie's Star Wars Special - https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PMW4Ad8fIF4!

EDIT: Good lord... Paul Lynde and Darth Vader...

This...this is actually worse than the Holiday special. I am loving/hating watching this.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Something is afoot at Lucasfilm...

Joystiq posted:

A strange new trademark application by Lucasfilm portends a new multimedia Star Wars franchise, including video games. The company filed for the name "Star Wars 1313" for use with video games, as well as toys, trading cards, sticker books, pencil sharpeners, online social networking services, and anything else that can possibly bear the Star Wars logo.

The document contains no indication of what "Star Wars 1313" means; we knew the series was set "a long time ago," but don't know if that translates to 700 years in Earth time. However, a quick Wookieepedia search reveals "CT-1313" as a name used by Boba Fett in a Star Wars novel. So it could be a Boba Fett-focused thing. Dengar's still waiting for his big break.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/07/lucasfilm-applies-for-star-wars-1313-trademark/

I'd lie and say I'm trying to keep myself from getting too excited, but with Lucas, it's pretty easy now to temper my expectations (Unless Zahn is attached).

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

1313 is both a year (probably in the distant past for the Star Wars universe) and a reference to the target demographic: thirteen year olds. They're attempting to shepherd the demographic they've built up with the clone wars cartoons into the Star Wars equivalent of Twilight. Alternatively, if 1313 is indeed a reference to Boba Fett, we'll get the Bounty Hunter equivalent of Edward Cullen.

Watch. It's going to happen.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Colonel Pancreas posted:

1313 is both a year (probably in the distant past for the Star Wars universe) and a reference to the target demographic: thirteen year olds. They're attempting to shepherd the demographic they've built up with the clone wars cartoons into the Star Wars equivalent of Twilight. Alternatively, if 1313 is indeed a reference to Boba Fett, we'll get the Bounty Hunter equivalent of Edward Cullen.

Watch. It's going to happen.

Luke and Leia are high school delinquents, with Han Solo as a gutsy new inner-school city teacher wanting to Make A Difference, with The System being kept in the Status Quo by Principle Vader and Discipline Officer Fett. Everything is resolved when Luke and Leia show that they can Turn It Around during a school talent show via force-enhanced breakdancing techniques with 30 ewoks as backup dancers.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
All I know is there will be Stars and Wars. Don't expect any usual changes from the status quo.

What the gently caress happened to the TV series. Was it TV vapourware or something?

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

What the gently caress happened to the TV series. Was it TV vapourware or something?

According to an interview a few months back, they have about 50 hours worth of scripts (which would be what, two seasons?), but at the moment the technology is still too expensive for them to produce the show at a reasonable budget.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'm sure once the Clone Wars show is over and they need a new flagship series to over-saturate the market with, they'll suddenly realize they have the technology for it.

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

Chairman Capone posted:

I'm sure once the Clone Wars show is over and they need a new flagship series to over-saturate the market with, they'll suddenly realize they have the technology for it.

God, I hope not. The closer Lucas gets chronologically to the original trilogy, the higher the probability that the fucker will try to remake it or something.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Colonel Pancreas posted:

God, I hope not. The closer Lucas gets chronologically to the original trilogy, the higher the probability that the fucker will try to remake it or something.

One of the few spoiler rumors that have actually come out for the live-action show is that the first few episodes will involve time travel in some way that results in it being a different timeline than the OT, Abrams-Star-Trek style.

Personally, I can absolutely buy that.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

thrawn527 posted:

This...this is actually worse than the Holiday special. I am loving/hating watching this.

The stormtrooper dance number was awesome. "We're Darth Vader's raiders and we can't believe the things that you do..." :banjo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I think I may have found my new favorite Star Wars book.

Darth Vader and Son by Jeffery Brown

"Dad! You said we could go to Tosche Station after nap!"
"I'm altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

I can't wait until I'm a dad and can buy cool poo poo like this for my son.