Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

"Okay gang, let's split up." *Walks through the wall and grabs Old Man Jenkins*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alienwarez
Feb 9, 2004

So volume 2 finally got reprinted for those of us not lucky enough to have gotten it already!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Nice. Didn't Tom at one point say the best place to buy his stuff is Topatoco? Wonder how long it will take to show up there.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Rereading this chapter (of COURSE) after going to this link, I realized something ELSE I hadn't ever noticed before:

Coyote doesn't cast shadows.

Sure has been a mindblowing day for me

[Edit] Although he seems to in the most recent encounter when he's sitting on dirt... but I can't tell if that's just the art style. I could just be reading too much into it. Mystery

Buff Skeleton fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 27, 2012

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Waffnuffly posted:

Rereading this chapter (of COURSE) after going to this link, I realized something ELSE I hadn't ever noticed before:

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=278

Nah, he does sometimes. But not always, it's true.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Perhaps Coyote only casts shadows when someone is taking him seriously? It would fit in with his supposed non-existence if he only projected shadows when someone cared about him.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
I dunno, looking at the rest of that chapter, I'm guessing that one little shadow is an art goof or something. His shadowlessness is pretty dramatic here! http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=283

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Fecha posted:

I dunno, looking at the rest of that chapter, I'm guessing that one little shadow is an art goof or something. His shadowlessness is pretty dramatic here! http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=283

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=286

That's where it stood out to me the most and where I first noticed it. I went back through earlier pages to see if I was just nuts, but the rest of the chapter seemed to correlate pretty well.

I definitely find myself paying more attention to all these little things much more after last chapter. That really did change the tone of a LOT of earlier chapters.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Tollymain posted:

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=278

Nah, he does sometimes. But not always, it's true.

What's up with those parrots anyways

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

scary ghost dog posted:

What's up with those parrots anyways

They watch stuff.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Brainamp posted:

They watch stuff.

They're weird man.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

:golfclap: I love this thread.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I wonder why Jones isn't the medium for the court, or if she is, why shes passing off the position.

I suspect Jones recommended Annie, but that might change now that the INCIDENT has happened.

I think partially, Annie sees the Court and the Forest as representations of her parents.

The Court is her father, cold and sterile, uncaring as to her own wishes (in her mind, anyway).

The Forest is her mother, wild and warm, and full of things she loves (the village, etc)

Of course, this leads to her liking the Forest more then the Court, tainting her ability to be a medium. Perhaps the attack, and Eglamore's rescue, will make Annie less one-sided.

Or maybe its Parley :v:

(e: Also, bear in mind that Parley has no experience with the Forest at all, and was freaked out by Mort, so shes not ideal on the medium front)

Arianya fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Sep 27, 2012

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
It's Kat.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Tom must hate you right now.

I'm not sure whats happening with Kat in the long term, shes obviously a super mechanical genius, but there are obvious hints that she and Annie are growing apart.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Zimmy will get the boy and the job.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Conot posted:

I wonder why Jones isn't the medium for the court, or if she is, why shes passing off the position.

Coyote publicly questioned Jone's impartiality and basically called her a sniveling lackey.

It doesn't seem like Jones would make a good medium for this reason. Her relationship with Coyote would be basically one of conflict.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

Coyote publicly questioned Jone's impartiality and basically called her a sniveling lackey.

It doesn't seem like Jones would make a good medium for this reason. Her relationship with Coyote would be basically one of conflict.

Now that you point it out, maybe thats why Coyote calls her Wandering Eye? A insult to her lack of impartiality and thus shes just a "Wandering Eye" of the court, giving them information, rather then being impartial.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Conot posted:

Now that you point it out, maybe thats why Coyote calls her Wandering Eye?

As Tom's art improves, we'll find out she actually has a lazy eye, but he's just not so good at drawing that right now.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Conot posted:

Tom must hate you right now.

I'm not sure whats happening with Kat in the long term, shes obviously a super mechanical genius, but there are obvious hints that she and Annie are growing apart.

Kat and Annie's relationship, as well as Annie's parents, symbolize the relationship between the Court and the Woods- as well as the difference between ethereal (etheric?) and mechanical technology. This comic's chock full of self-allusion and symbolism.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Also, it's been a while since we've seen the headmaster, hasn't it?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

RME posted:

Also, it's been a while since we've seen the headmaster, hasn't it?

I have never wished harder for Photoshop skills, so that I could put together a "HEADMASTER FUN TIME" avatar.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Kat is going to be the big bad at the end. Or possibly there will be a war and she will be a hovercopter pilot and go down off screen after a dramatic falling out.

The thing about Coyote calling Jones a lackey for the Court and questioning her impartiality is I suspect this is done more for the benefit of Annie than to actually try to phase or upset Jones. He knows Jones is unflappable, however Annie doesn't know that, and also Jones has to keep Annie's respect. Since Jones has to remain in good standing with Annie, by calling her a court lackey right in front of Annie it puts her in the position of demonstrating she's not merely a lackey.

And with regards to the "run off and tell the the strategic implications" thing, that looks like he recognizes she's not wholey on board with the court, as she'd be willing to making up strategic implications and frame the whole thing in court benefit when it likely is not such.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Paramemetic posted:

Kat is going to be the big bad at the end. Or possibly there will be a war and she will be a hovercopter pilot and go down off screen after a dramatic falling out.

Her hovercopter was shot down over the annan waters... it spun in... there were no survivors.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Penguissimo posted:

I have never wished harder for Photoshop skills, so that I could put together a "HEADMASTER FUN TIME" avatar.
I hope this is close enough to the thing you want.

Or maybe this one.

He's got his tie off. He's cutting loose. Really wild guy, that guy.

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 27, 2012

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Or maybe this one.

He's got his tie off. He's cutting loose. Really wild guy, that guy.

Holy poo poo, this is why I love these forums :3: You're the (wo)man!

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I wonder if the Forest ever nominates candidates for the Medium position? I'm just thinking that all three current candidates + the one actual medium we've seen have been from the Court (although Surma and Annie do have ties to the forest) and it seems like that'd be a slight power imbalance. It'd be interesting if there were like, some elves or shadow-people or something who the forest nominated that were being considered (by both sides) separately. Although narratively a blind-side like that would be a bit lackluster.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Cat Mattress posted:

Hmmmm in that second page you linked, Jones questions Ysengrin's sanity and Coyote just laughs it off. In light of the last chapter, I am more curious than ever as to who/what Jones is and what she knows about Coyote.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Fellis posted:

Hmmmm in that second page you linked, Jones questions Ysengrin's sanity and Coyote just laughs it off. In light of the last chapter, I am more curious than ever as to who/what Jones is and what she knows about Coyote.

I wonder if Ysengrin remembers any of that scene :smith:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

New shirts in the store!

http://www.topatoco.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=GK

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Court symbol shirt!!!

I may be forced to give tom money.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Those shirts actually look really nice, especially the court symbol one. However, the link showed me there are Coyote and City Face shirts available too, so it's a good thing I'm poor right now and thus don't have to decide between them.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Gonna have to pick up a court symbol shirt at some point (For obvious reasons). Shame it doesn't come in white on black, but the other two are just as good.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Mazerunner posted:

I wonder if the Forest ever nominates candidates for the Medium position? I'm just thinking that all three current candidates + the one actual medium we've seen have been from the Court (although Surma and Annie do have ties to the forest) and it seems like that'd be a slight power imbalance. It'd be interesting if there were like, some elves or shadow-people or something who the forest nominated that were being considered (by both sides) separately. Although narratively a blind-side like that would be a bit lackluster.

I assume the Medium position is one that the Court created. Like, the people in charge go "Man dealing with the Forest is such a pain. Let's just train one person to do it all."

The leaders of the Forest seem much more interested in interacting with the Court directly. Which, if you think about it, makes sense.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Waffnuffly posted:

Sure has been a mindblowing day for me

Not just that, but check out panel one here. All the other shadows are falling away from him.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Don't want to run this into the ground, but we really can't go without a Jones fun time.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Pleasepleasepleeeeeez let tomorrow hold some sort of answer to the mystery of Jones.

Those are some extremely sweet shirts. Does Topacoco ship (at a reasonable price) to Mexico?

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

MikeJF posted:

Not just that, but check out panel one here. All the other shadows are falling away from him.

Also, going back to Jones, I noticed this when rereading that section:

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=288

I wonder if the Headmaster is implying something about what Jones really is in the last panel.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

SpaceViking posted:

Also, going back to Jones, I noticed this when rereading that section:

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=288

I wonder if the Headmaster is implying something about what Jones really is in the last panel.

Speaking of that comic, did the seeds ever come into play later in the story? I'm totally drawing a blank here if they ever brought that up again or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Ezzer posted:

Speaking of that comic, did the seeds ever come into play later in the story? I'm totally drawing a blank here if they ever brought that up again or not.

I don't think so, but they're probably similar to the seed used to grow Robot a new arm.