Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Maybe y'all can Diagnose this for me, I got the Benq XL2411z for gaming purposes and when I hook it up to my Xbox One it occasionally makes the screen go black, what could be the cause of this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008

Texibus posted:

Maybe y'all can Diagnose this for me, I got the Benq XL2411z for gaming purposes and when I hook it up to my Xbox One it occasionally makes the screen go black, what could be the cause of this?

Probably too simple to be true, but make sure the HDMI cable contacts are clean, seated properly, and that the cable is not dying on you.

I had a similar issue with my PS3 that made me think either the console or monitor was dying, turns out the HDMI cable was on it's way out. My black screens got progressively longer, and I figure out if I jiggled the cable it fixed it for a bit. Replaced the cable and have been problem free ever since.

uaciaut
Mar 20, 2008
:splurp:

uaciaut posted:

Looking to buy a budget monitor (finally swapping out my AGM http://www.cnet.com/products/agm-a-17-lcd-monitor-17/) and i figured i'd come here to ask for advice since i'm somewhat clueless about how poo poo has changed (OP has helped me out with this obv).

Currently have my eyes on a Samsung S22C300H 21.5 inch 5ms black monitor (http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-S22C300H-21-5-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00C18YQ86), is this a good choice and what alternatives in its price range would i have?

Was wondering if my question was phrased poorly or if there simply isn't any monitor that goons think is worth buying that's within that low price-range. I really would be stretched to cough up more dough :<

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

uaciaut posted:

Was wondering if my question was phrased poorly or if there simply isn't any monitor that goons think is worth buying that's within that low price-range. I really would be stretched to cough up more dough :<

How about either of these:

http://www.amazon.com/AOC-i2267fw-22-Inch-Frameless-Monitor/dp/B00CLZ047Q/

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-CFGKT-IPS-LED-21-5-Inch-LED-lit-Monitor/dp/B009H0XQPU/

Both IPS, ~22in, and Amazon has them on sale for equal or less than the one you linked. The Samsung is a TN.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

uaciaut posted:

That has a TN screen which isn't really suggested. You should be able to get a 1080p IPS monitor on sale for around $130.

Actually it looks like Best Buy has one on sale right now.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Samsung has thrown their hat into the 21:9 monitor ring and given me another monitor to consider in the coming months. Unlike the other panels based around the LG IPS one, this one is a VA panel.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/samsung-will-release-curved-27-and-34-inch-va-monitors.html

quote:

Samsung will be offering offer a 27 and 34-Inch model that is slightly curved, but their new S34E790C will reportedly be based on VA panel technology instead of IPS which has been used in the LG and Dell models. The curve is fairly subtle though.

The screen will offer a 3440 x 1440 resolution, 4ms G2G response time, 3000:1 contrast ratio and 178/178 viewing angles. The W-LED backlight offers an sRGB gamut and the screen coating should be the common VA semi-glossy type. PIP (Picture In Picture) ‘2.0’ and PBP (Picture By Picture) functionality are offered. There is also a JOG (joystick) at the rear of the screen, towards the right, for intuitive menu navigation. The ports include DC input (external power brick), 2 HDMI ports, DP 1.2 input, 3.5mm audio output and 4 USB ports (plus upstream). It isn’t yet clear what version of HDMI or which USB revision is used on the monitor. The stand offers only a tilt adjustment but the screen is VESA mountable. Price and release date aren't known officially yet, but it is expected in 2015.

In addition Samsung will also release their 27" curved VA monitor, the S27D590C. This is also based on a VA panel with 1920 x 1080 resolution, 5ms G2G response time, 3000:1 contrast ratio and 178/178 viewing angles. The ports include; DisplayPort, VGA, HDMI, 3.5mm audio input and 3.5mm headphone jack. Again the stand only offers a basic tilt adjustment. Further information on the Samsung S27D590C can be found in this German press release and on some regional Samsung websites (such as their Chinese one). The screen is currently scheduled for a late October release at an MSRP of 409 Euros (£326.59, $537.32 USD) - via tft central.
(Bolded pricing is for the 27", alas)

Texibus
May 18, 2008

The Rev posted:

Probably too simple to be true, but make sure the HDMI cable contacts are clean, seated properly, and that the cable is not dying on you.

I had a similar issue with my PS3 that made me think either the console or monitor was dying, turns out the HDMI cable was on it's way out. My black screens got progressively longer, and I figure out if I jiggled the cable it fixed it for a bit. Replaced the cable and have been problem free ever since.

As with all my technical issues it boiled down to, "did you check your cables" it was apparently a bad HDMI Cable. Played all last night without a single issue, thanks man!

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Has anyone used a G-Sync display? I'm looking to put together a new system from scratch and aiming for 4k gaming, but intending to avoid multi-GPU due to all the horror stories of sketchy/absent game support. I know this will often mean sub-60fps at high settings even with a flagship GPU, and I wonder if the $200 or so premium for G-Sync with 4k would be a large enough improvement in smoothness to justify the expense. I'm hoping to get a display that'll last me for a while (my old 60Hz 1080p TN LCD has served for several years now), so being locked into nVidia cards to take advantage of the proprietary tech would be a significant downside as well compared to waiting for AdaptiveSync to be implemented--which would probably mean waiting for AMD's next GPU release too, since nVidia seemingly won't support it in the near future.

I'm even considering waiting for 4k IPS displays to come out so I don't have to spend another several years with TN. Any thoughts on all the different tradeoffs would be appreciated.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Get a cheap korean monitor you can overclock to hold you over until 4k and variable refresh rates mature.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Coredump posted:

Get a cheap korean monitor you can overclock to hold you over until 4k and variable refresh rates mature.
With Intel supposedly planning for 4k IPS to be below $400 this year, the $300+ Korean displays are looking a lot less appealing.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I'm going to have to start looking into gsync more now but since it can't create frames out of nothing (unlike TV's) 23 fps is going to be 23 fps. It's just going to be an actual 23 fps with no crazy horrible slow full screen tearing I can only imagine would happen there otherwise.

If you're going to spend the money on a 4k gsync monitor, I would greatly reconsider your stance on SLI for what seems to be the foreseeable near future

This is SLI: You plug in both cards, you check one checkbox in nvidia options. From that point on it works or it doesnt work depending on the game.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

1gnoirents posted:

I'm going to have to start looking into gsync more now but since it can't create frames out of nothing (unlike TV's) 23 fps is going to be 23 fps. It's just going to be an actual 23 fps with no crazy horrible slow full screen tearing I can only imagine would happen there otherwise.

If you're going to spend the money on a 4k gsync monitor, I would greatly reconsider your stance on SLI for what seems to be the foreseeable near future

This is SLI: You plug in both cards, you check one checkbox in nvidia options. From that point on it works or it doesnt work depending on the game.
I play a lot of stuff at low (20-30) framerates on a 60Hz display right now, and I honestly can't say I notice much/any tearing, though I'm sure it's there. This makes me wonder if I'll notice much of a difference. Stutter definitely bothers me, but it's difficult to tell if that comes from sync issues or just the framerates being that unstable.

I can always upgrade to dual-GPU later if it seems necessary. I don't play a lot of cutting-edge games, so I think there's no harm in starting with a single GPU and seeing how well that works for me.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Ralith posted:

I play a lot of stuff at low (20-30) framerates on a 60Hz display right now, and I honestly can't say I notice much/any tearing, though I'm sure it's there. This makes me wonder if I'll notice much of a difference. Stutter definitely bothers me, but it's difficult to tell if that comes from sync issues or just the framerates being that unstable.

I can always upgrade to dual-GPU later if it seems necessary. I don't play a lot of cutting-edge games, so I think there's no harm in starting with a single GPU and seeing how well that works for me.

Tearing is usually painfully obvious, if you aren't noticing it now its probably firmly minor. Bad tearing is infuriating. But if you're dealing with 20-30 fps now gsync (and adaptive sync) will give you the best possible 20-30 fps experience.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Except gsync doesn't work below 30fps.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

KingEup posted:

Except gsync doesn't work below 30fps.

Nm then :v:

I was really pulling extra low numbers out of my rear end so it might still all apply to him but that doesn't surprise me at all. That's the minimum vsync level too so

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
I run stuff at 20-30fps on my current machine. I intend the new build to do better.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
I'm confused by native resolutions.

I ordered a pair of GTX 970s, and I'd like to get a new 27'' display in place of my current 24'' 1080p display. Problem is, I don't know whether I should be going for 1080p or 1440p. What's the difference between a 1440p 27'' display running its native resolution vs. a 1080p 27'' display running at 1440p downsampled to 1080p? Is there a difference at all? 1440p 27'' displays cost two to three times as much as their 1080p counterparts so I'd imagine it does matter.

My current monitor ran on downsampled 1440p and 4k resolutions reliably in the past, so I don't think that would be a problem with the new monitor, especially with Nvidia's new built-in DSR downsampling.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Its clearer because there are more pixels. Run your 1080p monitor at 1280x720, no matter if you super sample from 5k its still 720p

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
A 27" 1080p display will actually seem less sharp than your current 24" because it has the same number of pixels spread out over a larger area. If you have (a friend who has) a recent smartphone with a 720p or 1080p screen, try comparing how e.g. text looks between the phone's screen and your 1080p monitor to get a sense for what more physical pixels per unit surface area does for you. Stuff will be capable of displaying in a physically smaller area without losing detail, which gives you more effective "room" on the display for things like web browsing as well.

Supersampling is basically just anti-aliasing on steroids. It makes things smoother, but it can't improve your display's physical capacity for detail.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Texibus posted:

One of my monitors does this whenever I have the cellphone to close and it tries to reconnect to a base station. Apparently the cheap cable isn't shielded well and the cell signal induces enough noise to disrupt the image.

E: nm, already solved.

Ika fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 24, 2014

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

1gnoirents posted:

Its clearer because there are more pixels. Run your 1080p monitor at 1280x720, no matter if you super sample from 5k its still 720p

Ralith posted:

A 27" 1080p display will actually seem less sharp than your current 24" because it has the same number of pixels spread out over a larger area. If you have (a friend who has) a recent smartphone with a 720p or 1080p screen, try comparing how e.g. text looks between the phone's screen and your 1080p monitor to get a sense for what more physical pixels per unit surface area does for you. Stuff will be capable of displaying in a physically smaller area without losing detail, which gives you more effective "room" on the display for things like web browsing as well.

Supersampling is basically just anti-aliasing on steroids. It makes things smoother, but it can't improve your display's physical capacity for detail.

That makes sense, thanks. A local shop has a few 1440p Samsung displays on sale, so I might pick up one of those in October. I saw a lot of recommendations for Asus' PB278Q, but that would cost me ~$165 extra.

e: This review for the Samsung seems convincing enough, though I pretty much only understand the conclusion. :downs:

kxZyle fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Sep 25, 2014

Hakkeshu
Aug 10, 2005

Blinging in the Wastes!
Was gonna look for that gsync ACER monitor on amazon but they don't have it. However they had just got the swift in stock, I was able to get it when it said 2 in stock left.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

im jealous.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Anyone have experience with ASUS VG248QE? 24" 1080p seems solid, and 144hz and 1ms response rate are what I'm looking for.

It seems like 1440p monitors are quite a lot more expensive than 1080p. Should I expect 1080p to be getting phased out at all in the next, let's say, 4 years?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Elysiume posted:

Anyone have experience with ASUS VG248QE? 24" 1080p seems solid, and 144hz and 1ms response rate are what I'm looking for.

It seems like 1440p monitors are quite a lot more expensive than 1080p. Should I expect 1080p to be getting phased out at all in the next, let's say, 4 years?

I am curious because pretty much everybody has heard of "4k" and "1080p" but not 1440p in general, tvs seemed to skip it entirely, and 4k definitely seems to be the focus in the monitor world. But it's just so much harder to drive 4k where 1440p is a genuine upgrade (I seriously attribute this resolution to some of the rise of Apple's popularity) with less than half the pixels. But the price range is just huge, and it just doesnt seem as common as I would have thought by now. Logic would lead me to guess 1440p would start stabilizing a bit.

Perhaps now that 1440p is a somewhat standard flagship phone feature now there will be more awareness of it, and then increased marketability

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I would be very surprised to see 1080 defunct in 4 years.

If you want a 144 then the Asus (or BenQ) is a fine choice.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
1080p isnt going anywhere

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

El Scotch posted:

I would be very surprised to see 1080 defunct in 4 years.

If you want a 144 then the Asus (or BenQ) is a fine choice.
My current monitor is 21.5", 60Hz, and I forget the response time, so gaining 2.5" and 84Hz should be pretty noticeable. I feel like if you start going above 24" with 1080p the pixel density gets noticeably low. Is this accurate?

go3 posted:

1080p isnt going anywhere
Good to know; 1440p is weirdly expensive and 4k isn't something my card can drive (and is even more expensive but less confusingly so).

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Elysiume posted:

My current monitor is 21.5", 60Hz, and I forget the response time, so gaining 2.5" and 84Hz should be pretty noticeable. I feel like if you start going above 24" with 1080p the pixel density gets noticeably low. Is this accurate?

Good to know; 1440p is weirdly expensive and 4k isn't something my card can drive (and is even more expensive but less confusingly so).

There are people who like the 27" 1080 but I'm not one of them; I would go with the 24" at 1080.

That said, after going to a 27" 1440 I couldn't go back to anything smaller in either resolution or screen size.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

El Scotch posted:

There are people who like the 27" 1080 but I'm not one of them; I would go with the 24" at 1080.

That said, after going to a 27" 1440 I couldn't go back to anything smaller in either resolution or screen size.

I didn't mind 27 1080p. It had the exact drawbacks as stated, its just not a dealbreaker for me. Now it will be difficult to move away from 1440p though.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Are there 1440p monitors that have refresh rates around 120-144Hz that are 24-27" and don't cost $500?

edit: The pixel density on a 1440p 24" monitor would be amazing. Plus my desk is fairly shallow so a 27" might just be too large.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 25, 2014

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
The only monitors that are 1440p with refresh rates reliably higher than 60 Hz are the $800 ROG Swift and all your flavors of Korean IPS specials. Both are 27-inch monitors. The size/specs/price you're looking for right now aren't an option and there's no telling when they will be.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

The only monitors that are 1440p with refresh rates reliably higher than 60 Hz are the $800 ROG Swift and all your flavors of Korean IPS specials. Both are 27-inch monitors. The size/specs/price you're looking for right now aren't an option and there's no telling when they will be.
Whoof. Probably the one I linked earlier, the VG248QE? I've liked Asus, the specs seem good, and 24" seems like a good size.

edit: I got the Asus so nobody tell me it's bad because that'd make me sad, tia.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 25, 2014

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
So I'm probably going to pick up an Asus PB287Q (28" 4k TN w/ LED backlight for $610) (tomshardware review) and drive it with SLI 970s. Are there any alternatives I should consider, given that I'm not interested in paying $200 extra for G-sync?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Elysiume posted:

Whoof. Probably the one I linked earlier, the VG248QE? I've liked Asus, the specs seem good, and 24" seems like a good size.

edit: I got the Asus so nobody tell me it's bad because that'd make me sad, tia.

i'd only tell you it was bad if you often do stuff with visual media like art graphic design or video production

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I mostly play videogames and watch TV, so that sounds fine.

Nulity
Sep 26, 2010
I'm also wondering if I should get a VG248QE. I mostly play a shitload of Dota 2 (more than I want to) and FFXIV now, with some flavour of the week RPG or action game on the side. Not really into competitive FPSes though. Is 144hz worthwhile for me or should I just get a nicer looking IPS? I've got a 650ti for my GPU but I want to get a GTX970 (or 980) to replace it and maybe go SLI in the future.

Nulity fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 26, 2014

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Nulity posted:

I'm also wondering if I should get a VG248QE. I mostly play a shitload of Dota 2 (more than I want to) and FFXIV now, with some flavour of the week RPG or action game on the side. Not really into competitive FPSes though. Is 144hz worthwhile for me or should I just get a nicer looking IPS? I've got a 650ti for my GPU but I want to get a GTX970 (or 980) to replace it and maybe go SLI in the future.
Well in 24 hours I can tell you how I like mine. :v:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Sometimes I really take this site for granted. I just read through a thread on some other site about resolution scaling and it almost gave me an aneurysm. Some monumental retard was vehemently arguing that a 1080p signal would look stretched and blurry on a 4K monitor because the resolution was "not native."

It was completely lost on him that 1080p has exactly half the vertical and half the horizontal pixels of 4K, meaning it would scale perfectly. Each single pixel on the 1080p display would match perfectly to the corresponding 4 pixel square cluster on the 4K display.

Incidentally this made me think about how awesome a 4K display would be for playing games in 1080p.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Sep 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
4K displays also work for playing 720p content as it's 3x in each direction.