Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

Deathlove posted:

Lol, got the replacement today, and it's a 4G. Calling Asurion got me the "it will never be back in stock" response. Hooray. :effort:

What are your options? Can they really down grade your replacement just because they are out? That seems pretty shady.

Can you return the phone, get your deductible back, and buy a replacement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away

Duckman2008 posted:

They won't do SERO transfer of liabilities is the problem, so its more a matter of "they won't let him do it." I am guessing they wouldn't let him add her on as a SERO line, but they will let her do EPRP for sure.

Oh, I thought Sprint allowed you to get another SERO plan in your name as long as you currently had one. I just wanted to know if people selling their plans on there were legit, but I'll tell him to call about that.

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

They won't do SERO transfer of liabilities is the problem, so its more a matter of "they won't let him do it." I am guesingrhey wouldn't let him add her on as a SERO line, but they will let her do EPRP for sure.
Does this go for any SERO transfer? "My" SERO account is actually in my mom's name, I want to transfer it to my name for simplicity's sake.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Sperg Victorious posted:

Is Sprint 's online coverage map showing what areas will be getting 4g or what their current deployment is? I'm in a 4g area, but actual coverage is basically only at malls and similar areas right now
You might find this map comparison to be pretty interesting.

thisdude23 posted:

Oh, I thought Sprint allowed you to get another SERO plan in your name as long as you currently had one. I just wanted to know if people selling their plans on there were legit, but I'll tell him to call about that.
Yeah, they let you do a TOL of SERO lines to other people who already have a SERO account.

DanAdamKOF posted:

Does this go for any SERO transfer? "My" SERO account is actually in my mom's name, I want to transfer it to my name for simplicity's sake.
Not gonna happen.

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

td4guy posted:

Not gonna happen.
Thanks for the quick reply, I guess I can keep paying her.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

td4guy posted:

Ugh.

Hopefully this will get ironed out soon. Kinda hoped living near a giant business park would get me 4g at home quicker.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

DanAdamKOF posted:

Or switch the account to charge your bank account or credit card instead. The names don't have to match.

CombatCupcake
Oct 20, 2005
Pretty close to ordering the EVO LTE. Is anyone holding out to see the iphone 5? I don't really want an iphone but just curious if it might be loads better than the 4s.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Duckman2008 posted:

The Nexus had never sold well in past generations and the Galaxy hasn't either.

Regular people don't like the Nexus. It doesn't look enough like their old HTC phone. Honestly, Nexus phones have a really high return rate.

Therefore, why should Sprint care and push this phone? Those who want it will buy it, those who don't know what it is (most people) should buy a Galaxy 3 or iPhone.

Most people buy an iphone either way. I hope to God Sprint gets the 5 (in theory they should).

All this complaining about Sprint not caring about the Nexus is both fairly accurate, and retarded since it's kind of a "well duh" response to me.

I don't mind if they stop selling it. I mind when they bungle the first loving update to come out for the device and not respond to anyone even simply asking what's going on let alone for a release date.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

DanAdamKOF posted:

I just changed the name everywhere I could find in my account info on the Sprint site and now all contact goes to me in my name, and when I call in they accept me as the account owner. Never did a TOL.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Entire Universe posted:

I don't mind if they stop selling it. I mind when they bungle the first loving update to come out for the device and not respond to anyone even simply asking what's going on let alone for a release date.

There was this post by Kenfoldslive in the Android Phone thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3494233&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=58#post406532412

Basically, it seems that both the Nexus S 4G and the Galaxy Nexus guys will be lucky to see JB at all before the end of the year and Sprint isn't REALLY obligated to do anything if they don't want to.

It'll come, just really late.

It looks like GSM Nexus devices (or the Nexus tablet(s?) will be the only true way to get fast updates on time as promised.

If only GSM worked in Omaha.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Aug 16, 2012

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

bobula posted:

I just changed the name everywhere I could find in my account info on the Sprint site and now all contact goes to me in my name, and when I call in they accept me as the account owner. Never did a TOL.

Overall that's fine, but if you ever cancel or something and have a balance its in the other persons social still. Only a big deal of they want to create a separate account or you don't pay.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Okay, so this National Weather Service alert bullshit kind of sucks. I woke up at 3am this morning because my phone made this loud godawful noise I'd never heard before to warn me about a flood advisory. I think I saw somebody else post about that a while back... I haven't looked too closely into it, but is there any control at all over this "feature"?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

brc64 posted:

I haven't looked too closely into it, but is there any control at all over this "feature"?
On the S3 it's at the bottom of the Settings menu in Messaging.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

CombatCupcake posted:

Pretty close to ordering the EVO LTE. Is anyone holding out to see the iphone 5? I don't really want an iphone but just curious if it might be loads better than the 4s.

Well that's all subjective and might depend on whether you JB or not. Personally I'm way too busy to mess with that, I just want a phone that works and has the best apps so I will continue to use whatever iPhone Apple releases. Now that I have an AppleTV, iPad, and Mac it all just works together and I don't have to think about it (other than as a developer).

If you love to tweak and customize you can go for the JB, or just go with Android.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away

td4guy posted:

Yeah, they let you do a TOL of SERO lines to other people who already have a SERO account.
Not gonna happen.

Ok, so is howardforums a legit place to buy a plan off someone?

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

brc64 posted:

Okay, so this National Weather Service alert bullshit kind of sucks. I woke up at 3am this morning because my phone made this loud godawful noise I'd never heard before to warn me about a flood advisory. I think I saw somebody else post about that a while back... I haven't looked too closely into it, but is there any control at all over this "feature"?

Do you have beautiful widgets? I've only had this happen when I've had that installed. It comes through like a fake text message.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Disregard.

Loucks fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Aug 16, 2012

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Giblet posted:

Do you have beautiful widgets? I've only had this happen when I've had that installed. It comes through like a fake text message.

Sprint now will auto text weather alerts. Its supposed to be a feature, but its just really drat annoying.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

CombatCupcake posted:

I have a 4S, but I am getting a couple of new iPhones (5 or whatever they are called) next month. Honestly I really don't think the new iPhone will be loads better than the 4s, but it will be better. A lot of the rumors point to the following:

- a 4 inch screen (it will be taller but not wider or thicker)
- better camera (dropping down to f2.2 is the rumor)
- LTE
- bigger battery because of LTE
- Siri improvements
- fast processor
- whatever else iOS 6.0 brings new

I'm no expert but Apple is not about blowing people out of the water with specs. It is about making the software to get the most out of the hardware they have. Many things on Android are better spec wise (cameras for example), but still the iPhone does it better in most cases.

So I guess my point is if the reason you didn't get a 4S is because you wanted a bigger screen good chance the new iPhone will entice you. I switched from Android to the 4S and it took me a month to get use to it. Now like Ender I have an Apple TV and iPad, and I'm invested in the Apple eco-system. This was suppose to be a one year experiment for me with Apple, and the fact I am using my 2 available upgrades to buy the new iPhone should tell you how it went.

Also I JB my iPhone after using it for 7 months. JB was simple as running a file on your computer and plugging your iPhone in. Gave me back some of the things I was missing from Android (customization mainly).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Sprint now will auto text weather alerts. Its supposed to be a feature, but its just really drat annoying.

I actually like it, but that's because at least half the time it's an alert for a dust storm, and the only way to find out about one of those occurring before it hits you is to check the news at the exact right moment.

I'm quite happy that it does not consider excessive heat warnings enough to text an alert - if it's 115 outside, I already loving know.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

IOwnCalculus posted:

I actually like it, but that's because at least half the time it's an alert for a dust storm, and the only way to find out about one of those occurring before it hits you is to check the news at the exact right moment.
I have pretty mixed feelings about the service. On one hand, the option to have it is very much a good thing. Mind you, folks are willing to pay decent money for weather radios that do more or less the exact same thing.

Unlike (traditional) radios and television though, phones can serve as pretty intelligent filters. I wouldn't mind having a bit better control over what kind of messages are received as things like thunderstorms, tornadoes, hurricanes, etc., are things I'm definitely interested in knowing about. Yet at the same time I couldn't give two shits about flash flood warnings because I don't immediately live in a flood prone area and they tend to happen all the time. On the other hand, if I was unfortunate to live in a flood prone area, I'd probably care a lot more.

Interesting to note that it seems the actual capability to receive these messages is limited to particular geographic areas. I wonder if it's something as simple as some NWS offices are capable of sending them (and carriers are now required to have the ability to receive, process, and disseminate them), and other NWS offices can't yet.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm quite happy that it does not consider excessive heat warnings enough to text an alert - if it's 115 outside, I already loving know.

Ditto, I live in West Texas so we get some pretty rough dust and hail storms that really come out of nowhere. I also don't have cable so this has already saved my bacon once in the short time they've been doing it.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

I just moved to Montana, which has no Sprint coverage anywhere in the state. Is there any chance Sprint would waive the ETF because of this? Or am I going to be better off using a Verizon PRL and getting booted?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I have pretty mixed feelings about the service. On one hand, the option to have it is very much a good thing. Mind you, folks are willing to pay decent money for weather radios that do more or less the exact same thing.

Unlike (traditional) radios and television though, phones can serve as pretty intelligent filters. I wouldn't mind having a bit better control over what kind of messages are received as things like thunderstorms, tornadoes, hurricanes, etc., are things I'm definitely interested in knowing about. Yet at the same time I couldn't give two shits about flash flood warnings because I don't immediately live in a flood prone area and they tend to happen all the time. On the other hand, if I was unfortunate to live in a flood prone area, I'd probably care a lot more.

Interesting to note that it seems the actual capability to receive these messages is limited to particular geographic areas. I wonder if it's something as simple as some NWS offices are capable of sending them (and carriers are now required to have the ability to receive, process, and disseminate them), and other NWS offices can't yet.
This is pretty much my feeling. For something like a Tornado Warning, hell yeah, wake my rear end up! But a flood warning or severe thunderstorm? I'd rather not get alerted for that poo poo. But it seems to be an all-or-nothing thing as far as I can tell...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

pragan4 posted:

I just moved to Montana, which has no Sprint coverage anywhere in the state. Is there any chance Sprint would waive the ETF because of this? Or am I going to be better off using a Verizon PRL and getting booted?

They're pretty much the same situation there - either you use it and roam 100% of the time and they boot you, or you call them up and try to get them to do it proactively.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

pragan4 posted:

Use it till you get booted. Also, drink a Big Sky Brewing Moose Drool for me.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
Does Sprint ever do any kind of deals for upgrades like they do for new lines? I got all excited over this Amex $100 dollar card and didn't realize its for new lines only, and since my upgrade is 9/1 I was calling to try and get it pushed up to get in on it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
How exactly do I port my number from Sprint to GV? I don't see that option anywhere in the settings.

Do I have to click the "Disable" option next to my number first before I can port it over? Or do I have to do it from "Sprint's" end? I thought there was just a little option in the GV settings that was like "Port your number to us!"

I found the help page for porting your number to GV, but that doesn't say how, it just goes into the nitty gritty of what to expect.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 17, 2012

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ninmeister posted:

Does Sprint ever do any kind of deals for upgrades like they do for new lines? I got all excited over this Amex $100 dollar card and didn't realize its for new lines only, and since my upgrade is 9/1 I was calling to try and get it pushed up to get in on it.

Beyond a discounted phone no, right now the promos tend to be new lines only.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

ninmeister posted:

Some stores have been able to allow current customers to upgrade early through a promotion called Upgrade Now. There are also some loyalty perks in the pipeline that may end up being pretty nice.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Giblet posted:

Some stores have been able to allow current customers to upgrade early through a promotion called Upgrade Now. There are also some loyalty perks in the pipeline that may end up being pretty nice.

Upgrade now is corporate stores only, just fyi.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Duckman2008 posted:

Upgrade now is corporate stores only, just fyi.

I'm aware, just wanted to let him know there are actually some promos out there for current customers. So far Upgrade Now has been super popular, at least in my region.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

What exactly has to happen for you to qualify for Upgrade Now?

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

ThermoPhysical posted:

What exactly has to happen for you to qualify for Upgrade Now?

There aren't specific details listed for qualifying. It looks like you have to at least be in your 9th month with a device and the fee reduces the longer you have your device. It's something that shows up for corporate store reps as an offer when they open your account. I would suggest to call one and ask if you're eligible.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
So I've been holding out on my upgrade but the charging port on my Evo4G has now poo poo the bed. I went to order online (I have EPRP) but when I click on a phone it has some message about I can't order from this section of the website, but when I click the link it gives me it just takes me back to the phone selection. I guess I have to call in my order?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

The little bar that's a part of the phone frame between the speaker grill and top of the screen on my Evo 3D is bent upwards. It doesn't have an impact on the function of the phone, but it annoys the hell out of me every time I see it.

I'm kind of frustrated with the 3D right now. Not sure what I want to do about it just yet. The hosed up state of Sprint's Galaxy Nexus (is it a Nexus? Is it not a Nexus?) makes me leery of that for a sidegrade. That pretty much leaves the S3 for me right now, but that's going to be more money since I'm still under contract....

gman14msu
Mar 10, 2009
So here's my situation. I've been one of the extra lines on a family plan since June 2010 when I hopped on with the HTC Evo. On July 25th, I upgraded to the Galaxy Nexus which keeps me in for another 2 years. Basically, is it too late to get out of this deal and go back to my Evo or switch carriers? The Nexus just isn't working the way I want. I live in the city, and after hopping off the subway it tends to take up to 10 minutes to find reception, battery life has been worse than I expected, and there's also been a volume issue.

What are my options here if any?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

gman14msu posted:

What are my options here if any?
You can switch back to the Evo at any time. If you try to reactivate it online it will probably require a "plan change" (since you're going from LTE to WiMAX) which is fine, but check extra carefully that it doesn't result in a real plan change. If you have trouble there, call in to reactivate the Evo.

As for the Galaxy Nexus the best you can do is sell used, and buy used a device of your liking. You can also ride out "a while" on the Evo in hopes that the JB Galaxy Nexus update addresses your issues. Or you can pay the "prorated" ETF ($350) and bail to a different carrier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gman14msu
Mar 10, 2009
Yeah I figured that was where I was.

If I pay the "pro-rated" $350 to get out of the contract, how much could I sell my one month used Nexus for? And how much would I get?