Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I’m watching Greasy Hands Preachers and uuughhhhhh they’re all so insufferable. I like Shinya Kimura and Roland Sands ok but gaaawwwdd this movie. Guess I haven’t had a good dose of stupid hipster motorcycle bullshit in a minute.

Why aren’t there any more good motorcycle documentaries?

I thought Oil in the Blood was pretty good, though I would have liked more people riding bikes than just talking about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I get very frustrated with bs hipster bike videos. Remember that insanely douchey “why we ride” movie that was hyped to hell and back?

It bugs me that so many movies try to pin the reason for enjoying motorcycles on some transcendent higher level galaxy brain thing when that’s not it at all.

People ride because they like to or have to. Quit trying to assign mysticism and lore where there isn’t any

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Some friends of mine did the Scooter Cannonball a few years ago and made a documentary about it, Slow Ride Home. It's entertaining and, like the people who made it, does not take itself too seriously.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Bullshit hipster bike videos you say?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I get very frustrated with bs hipster bike videos. Remember that insanely douchey “why we ride” movie that was hyped to hell and back?

It bugs me that so many movies try to pin the reason for enjoying motorcycles on some transcendent higher level galaxy brain thing when that’s not it at all.

People ride because they like to or have to. Quit trying to assign mysticism and lore where there isn’t any

Yeah, this is exactly the thing at the heart of why I hate them so much. And why stuff like Long Way Round really doesn’t bother me. Ewan and Charlie are goobers but their sanctimonious spiritual poo poo about motorbikes was pretty minimal. It’s a fuckin vehicle. A very fun and rewarding one, potentially, but a vehicle, a complex tool.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I kinda get the "mysticism" in that the difference between motorbikes and cars is like the difference between an F150 and a Miata.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The difference between cars and bikes is: any muppet can flop into and operate a car, whereas bikes have minimum system requirements that a lot of people don't meet mentally, so they think it's some kind of magic and tell their muppet mates.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

The difference between cars and bikes is: any muppet can flop into and operate a car, whereas bikes have minimum system requirements that a lot of people don't meet mentally, so they think it's some kind of magic and tell their muppet mates.
Kind of like how every wook who makes it through their first acid trip with their brain intact thinks they’re a shaman.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Kind of like how every wook who makes it through their first acid trip with their brain intact thinks they’re a shaman.

Yeah takes like two or three to realise that sense of understanding the whole universe at once is an illusion and THAT'S why you can never remember that plan to save the world.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Quote: not edit. I should go back to cars.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Slavvy posted:

Quote: not edit. I should go back to cars.

Every loser on this forum thinks they know how to post

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, this is exactly the thing at the heart of why I hate them so much. And why stuff like Long Way Round really doesn’t bother me. Ewan and Charlie are goobers but their sanctimonious spiritual poo poo about motorbikes was pretty minimal. It’s a fuckin vehicle. A very fun and rewarding one, potentially, but a vehicle, a complex tool.

Long way round is fine because it’s more of a ride documentary than anything and skips the deeper meaning in favor of the guys loving around and dropping their bikes in Russia

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

mewse posted:

Every loser on this forum thinks they know how to post

Granny spelling, not double spacing like he should

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Some friends of mine did the Scooter Cannonball a few years ago and made a documentary about it, Slow Ride Home. It's entertaining and, like the people who made it, does not take itself too seriously.

I just sent this to my friends that I did MKE to Chicago on scooters with to shame them into getting their poo poo together and getting their scooters back on the road

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i fuckin' love scooters but i just got that drz so they wouldn't really fill a hole

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

OK so here's how it is at least for me

I am not good at motorcycle and maybe never will be, but when I hit a good enough chain of turns with just enough skill to not notice how fuckin awful I am, it's like the bike disappears and my body disappears and there's just a point moving along a complicated curve

And like I know that's basically just flow state but it's still real exciting to have been in

And then if it's slab or something and I'm bored and achy it's still nice to look around and be in the scenery, and if the sun is low enough I can look over at my shadow and dang that guy looks p cool

If that's waxing mystical, I'm sorry

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Phy posted:

OK so here's how it is at least for me

This is ok because it only took a few seconds to read and I didn't have to pay money for it.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Deeters posted:

This is ok because it only took a few seconds to read and I didn't have to pay money for it.

Lowtax giving out refunds or something? :v:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

I was wondering about his involvement with Cannonball, saw it on his van. It could be rad to see a doc about his Cannonball runs.

Speaking of which, I also just watched White Knuckle, the movie about a few guys doing the Cannonball. It was interesting but needed so much more. All the talk about the engines was awesome and just left me wanting more. Especially about the dude who scored a tractor rod off some random farmer and drilled it out so he could finish.
I wish I had better pictures from the event but here's a few I got of the desperate 2am repairs (some mine) done every night.

Shinya here at the first stop of the rally I think. He's the one sitting with legs under the bike.

Dunno the details here but this one was happening the night before the rally started, so that's obviously not ideal.

Here's ours on day 2 trying to figure out a fueling issue that only showed up after about 60 miles of sustained riding.

One of the Henderson crew, midway through the rally I think, not sure where. I believe they were deciding how to fix a cracked oil pan or stripped drain bolt threads.

About halfway through, in South Dakota I think. A Harley? with a presumably serious issue considering that the motor is not currently in the bike.

Us discovering the case bolts were loose on day 3 after finally solving the fueling issue. It's actually only about a 30 minute job to pull the motor on this thing though.

And some good samaritans trying to figure out how to straighten our frame after I twisted it by crashing it in Indiana.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Gonna do this to all the revbombers I see now :popcorn:

https://i.imgur.com/RDmwooN.mp4

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Dec 23, 2019

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I wish I had better pictures from the event but here's a few I got of the desperate 2am repairs (some mine) done every night.

Shinya here at the first stop of the rally I think. He's the one sitting with legs under the bike.

Dunno the details here but this one was happening the night before the rally started, so that's obviously not ideal.

Here's ours on day 2 trying to figure out a fueling issue that only showed up after about 60 miles of sustained riding.

One of the Henderson crew, midway through the rally I think, not sure where. I believe they were deciding how to fix a cracked oil pan or stripped drain bolt threads.

About halfway through, in South Dakota I think. A Harley? with a presumably serious issue considering that the motor is not currently in the bike.

Us discovering the case bolts were loose on day 3 after finally solving the fueling issue. It's actually only about a 30 minute job to pull the motor on this thing though.

And some good samaritans trying to figure out how to straighten our frame after I twisted it by crashing it in Indiana.

This is awesome and I would read the poo poo out of an effort thread if you had time to put one together.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Is that orange one a ner-a-car?

alr
May 14, 2009
I went to wash the bike, clean the chain etc and my chain guard is gone, wtf

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i wish that my goddamned landlords would let me run a goddamned extension cord from the goddamned garage so i could plug in my goddamned bike over the goddamned winter break so that i don't come back and find the goddamned battery is shot yet another goddamned time

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Sagebrush posted:

i wish that my goddamned landlords would let me run a goddamned extension cord from the goddamned garage so i could plug in my goddamned bike over the goddamned winter break so that i don't come back and find the goddamned battery is shot yet another goddamned time

That sucks. From the cold or parasitic drain?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Makes me glad I decided to bring both bikes’ batteries in this winter rather than futz dragging power out to my shed. I keep swapping them on the battery tender every few weeks but they instantly show full charge so I’m guessing a moderately temperate basement was the right choice.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

just the cold and lack of use. it was already a little hard-starting last fall and then i was away for a while and didn't ride for about six weeks total so now it's just dead. oh well, i pulled it out to charge it and we'll see

it's become a lot harder to diagnose a dying battery since i swapped to all-LED lighting, because the lamps still come on at full brightness even when the starter won't even turn.

Martytoof posted:

Makes me glad I decided to bring both bikes’ batteries in this winter rather than futz dragging power out to my shed. I keep swapping them on the battery tender every few weeks but they instantly show full charge so I’m guessing a moderately temperate basement was the right choice.

yeah, cold and lack of use will kill batteries quickly and motorcycle batteries are already more susceptible because they're small. if you aren't riding at least a couple of times a week year-round, you'll be lucky to get two years without a tender.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

I just ride year round. never owned a battery tender :D

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Sagebrush posted:

just the cold and lack of use. it was already a little hard-starting last fall and then i was away for a while and didn't ride for about six weeks total so now it's just dead. oh well, i pulled it out to charge it and we'll see

it's become a lot harder to diagnose a dying battery since i swapped to all-LED lighting, because the lamps still come on at full brightness even when the starter won't even turn.

yeah, cold and lack of use will kill batteries quickly and motorcycle batteries are already more susceptible because they're small. if you aren't riding at least a couple of times a week year-round, you'll be lucky to get two years without a tender.

Hello friend and welcome to the singular use case for the LiFePO battery.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

right arm posted:

I just ride year round. never owned a battery tender :D

I ride year round too but I also travel and idk :mad:

builds character posted:

Hello friend and welcome to the singular use case for the LiFePO battery.

no, i'm cheap. gonna top it up and see if i can get at least another six months

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sagebrush posted:

It'll still die. Bring it inside and put it on a tender.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

It'll still die. Bring it inside and put it on a tender.

If you're cold, they're cold, etc

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Lithium batteries solved that for me.

I don't actually charge or maintain them at all, if they sit long enough to run out of juice I just jumpstart the bike and go for a ten minute ride and it's fine.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Is it the EarthX ones that auto-sense when you're running them down too low and turn off, letting you start your bike and charge them again without having to worry about it?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

MomJeans420 posted:

Is it the EarthX ones that auto-sense when you're running them down too low and turn off, letting you start your bike and charge them again without having to worry about it?

Earthx and antigravity (but earthx is better because it has a real warranty not a prorated standard battery garbage warranty like antigravity).

They are a solution to this problem but definitely won’t work given the parameter “I don’t want to spend money.”

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

builds character posted:

Earthx and antigravity (but earthx is better because it has a real warranty not a prorated standard battery garbage warranty like antigravity).

They are a solution to this problem but definitely won’t work given the parameter “I don’t want to spend money.”

Have antigravity changed their stuff? Because my friends have definitely killed AG batteries via drain before, but that might have been a previous firmware or whatever.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Mirconium posted:

Have antigravity changed their stuff? Because my friends have definitely killed AG batteries via drain before, but that might have been a previous firmware or whatever.

At least on some of their batteries. https://antigravitybatteries.com/restart-technology/

EarthX, because they're terrible at marketing, does it on all their batteries as of last year and doesn't have a shiny new lineup related to it and doesn't tell you that you can just restart and keep going and instead tells you to charge it (see the first FAQ) https://earthxbatteries.com/faqs

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Coydog posted:

If you're cold, they're cold, etc

oh my god this is perfect.

Bring your bikes inside people.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

oh my god this is perfect.

Bring your bikes inside people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

my brain is desperately trying to date this image and failing