Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Blood in the Bosporus senate had no good parts. Oh, wait, there was a running gag where one of the senators was actually a line of dogs named "Scruffles" that was somewhere between funny and amusing for a while before it got worn out. Otherwise, 90% cringey RPing just like on the Paradox forums (ok, maybe not QUITE as cringey) with the remainder being standard OOC voting and arguing.

Edit: Rince (Empress?) has a brief update/desperate cry for help on the last page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Definitely use a github to organize the modding process for this.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Empress Theonora posted:

Oh! Since there's been a bunch of posts in the thread, maybe I should post a brief update on modding progress?

Work on the mod ground to a halt for a while because, well, this is maybe not a super great period in my life? But now things are moving forward again, and I've fixed almost all of the errors caused by version 1.2 coming out. And then I'll be able to get back to OOB hell.

Still, it's a very daunting amount of work. I've posted a bit about this on tumblr or whatever, but maybe it'd help if I asked the thread for help as, like, an organized group effort? I have no idea how to actually organize something like that (do you use... a Github???) but maybe it'd be better than trying to make a full scenario all alone? And we can get updates going a little sooner?

I'm game. Yes, there needs to be a GitHub, or at the least that's a very good idea. Recruit people here, in the LP Skype Discord group, maybe the Paradox forums or the teams of other total conversions? Steam or Skype or Discord would be good coordination tools. I would need to familiarise myself with HOI4's code specifically, but I do have experience being on a mod team for a Paradox game. It's a different beast but not an unrecognisable one. You'd probably want to make it clear that ultimately creative control is in your hands though, you don't want a runaway mod since it's tied so closely to the story you're trying to tell.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Oct 29, 2016

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

GunnerJ posted:

Well, in this thread apparently people were going into random skype/IRC channels telling people to vote to keep the name "Roman Empire" over "Byzantine Empire" so :shrug:

In Flamboyant Schemers, though, I do remember one amazing meltdown when a literacy requirement slipped into and otherwise fine constitution resulted in half the thread's "characters" getting lynched and I think somehow a Muslim sultan elected king of Denmark?? Did any of that happen or did I just dream it?

Hi, yes, that was me.

In my attempt to ensure the failure of the constitution and the insitution of a despotic Catholic theocracy (that I would eventually rule as Pope), I secretly slipped a literacy clause into the document. Unfortunately, it ended up getting me killed along with everyone else.

I was also playing fast and loose with the vote count, because no one was keeping good track with that, and was responsible for the voter fraud during the latter half of the game. This also got me killed.

Also I was responsible for the Papacy taking over Denmark, which somehow ended in my brutal murder at the hands of several senators.

What I'm saying is that the QuoProQuid Dynasty was personally responsible for about half of the misfortune in the Flamboyant Schemers thread. I really wanted to do a dramatic reveal, preferably after I had succeeded in installing myself as Pope, but the thread died before it could happen.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 29, 2016

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

tunapirate posted:

I've only really read up on interactive-AARs on the Paradox forums, so my idea of interactivity is just a lot of pages wasted on cringe-y RPing. If I wanted the best hits of ByzLP Senate where should I look?

As an aside: if I wanted to be hip and happening within the SA Paradox LP community, is there any kind of IRC/Discord/etc. I should join?

https://discord.gg/TGjfv Have a link to Paracord.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The only "good" senate action I've ever personally been involved in was the HRE multiplayer thread.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I will defend my involvement in the RP'ing to the end of time because of the amusement getting a fair shot at gatecrashing the crazy undead emperors/empresses vote gave to me.

NewMars fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Oct 31, 2016

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Rodyle posted:

The only "good" senate action I've ever personally been involved in was the HRE multiplayer thread.

Still one of my favorite experiences on SA, wish it had gone on for longer.

DAUPHINÉ WILL RISE AGAIN

Now where's that dolphin pic

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I read the final post of Wiz's Hohenzollern LP this morning since I had forgotten how it ended after all these years, and damnit if that wasn't the best ending to a mega-LP ever.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Drone posted:

I read the final post of Wiz's Hohenzollern LP this morning since I had forgotten how it ended after all these years, and damnit if that wasn't the best ending to a mega-LP ever.

Yeah... I forget, was it just in the thread or was it explicit in the text that the state would crumble in a decade, causing even more misery due to ending up in a really lovely ending situation?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

NewMars posted:

Yeah... I forget, was it just in the thread or was it explicit in the text that the state would crumble in a decade, causing even more misery due to ending up in a really lovely ending situation?

Explicit in the epilogue. RIP that German soldier in the Pacific.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
I will rather honestly admit I don't see what people have against the ByzLP Senate sessions. Sure there were some weird and cringey moments but overall I think it was actually fun. It's a full thread played in overly melodramatic jest, and at least I personally had a blast in doing so!

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
It was mostly just the weird RP poo poo, which seemed kind of out of place. Also occasionally it got a little too much, like remember when the goon senate started dipping into legitimate racism and antisemitism during CKII?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

ThaumPenguin posted:

Still one of my favorite experiences on SA, wish it had gone on for longer.

DAUPHINÉ WILL RISE AGAIN

Now where's that dolphin pic

RIP my attempt to establish religious freedom in 1066 AD, passed by the legislature and struck down by the tyrant.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Flesnolk posted:

It was mostly just the weird RP poo poo, which seemed kind of out of place. Also occasionally it got a little too much, like remember when the goon senate started dipping into legitimate racism and antisemitism during CKII?

A lot of the RP was fun and added lots of flavor, but yeah, the "ironic" racism and anti-semitism was a real nadir of the thread that made me want to end the Senate right then and there.

The Senate in general was a pretty mixed bag. It led to a lot of cool spontaneous things, it provided constraints on the golden ages of CK2 where were running roughshod all over the world, and a lot of ideas and political movements (and characters!) that initially appeared in the Senate have resonated across the entire story, centuries after the establishment of the Roman Commonwealth and the end of the old Senate.

There were a few problems with it. The first, and by far the worst, was people who took "in character" to mean "make super anti-semitic jokes about Jewish people" like a bunch of loving creeps. But the longer-term problems actually stemmed from game design?

Like, the Senate was a kind of meta-game layered on top of the strategy games I was playing. It had rules. It had players. It had mechanics. But I wasn't thinking of them in terms of game mechanics, and also I kept on changing the rules every session, or applying them unevenly, or whatever. It also meant that, unlike, say, CreteLP, where Wiz's in-depth knowledge of the game he was playing meant that he could both carefully define possible actions for the Senate to take and then execute them precisely (even if their actual results were terrible), I played fast and loose and a lot of laws were long-term goals that I often made no appreciable progress towards in a single sitting. This, as well as the just the general infighting, meant that a lot of people's feelings were getting hurt because their hard work was going to waste, and I felt awful. By the end it just made me really anxious and unhappy.

In general I have more fun with the current system (fixed votes, but with an emphasis on deliberation and debate in the process), and it's much easier and much less stressful to run, but I do feel like having a wackier, more open-ended process added a certain something.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I think it was really only something that could have worked for CKII anyway, possibly EUIV. V2 doesn't seem right for it and HOI4 wouldn't make sense to have a Senatorial thing at all I think, especially since gameplay moves hour by hour instead of over the course of days.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
There's a reason when this LP started I immediately joined the senate faction that didn't care about policy and just supported whatever the hell the Emperor wanted at the time. Legislative LPs are way less stressful when you're not actually trying to enact any sort of policy.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I actually feel bad for not trying to do more with the senate, considering the long-term narrative effects some of the senators and their ideas ended up having. All "Senator Flesnolk" seemingly ever did was want to conquer stuff and restore the Roman Empire.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
I've been pondering doing a senatorial LP with Stellaris to fill in the gaps currently in the game with goon animosity to keep things interesting.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I would be on that in a heartbeat (though maybe wait until after the holidays are over so people have the free time for fake internet politicking plus there's a few Stellaris updates inbound)

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

That would be spectacular. :allears:

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I think it would work best going humans though. Squidpeople and other aliens are cool but just not the same when it comes to politics.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

I would be tremendously on-board for a Stellaris LP.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

A really narratively-focused one would work really well I think, something along the lines of Fangz' old Alpha Centauri LP

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

That would be stellar. :allears:

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Drone posted:

A really narratively-focused one would work really well I think, something along the lines of Fangz' old Alpha Centauri LP

Speaking of Alpha Centauri, a good one to follow the mould of would be Bobbin Threadbare's Galactic Civilizations 2 one, which had the Alpha Centauri characters in it.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Interesting. Don't suppose You have a link to the thread for those of us with archives?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

http://lparchive.org/Galactic-Civilizations-II/

Here ya go!

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Um, that's the same link to the Lp archive the guy I quoted posted, I was asking for a link to the original thread (I have archives so I can view it) so I could see all the posters voting and stuff...
Thanks for trying though. You can have an internet cookie for trying to be a good person.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Stephen9001 fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Nov 4, 2016

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Stephen9001 posted:

Um, that's the same link to the Lp archive the guy I quoted posted, I was asking for a link to the original thread (I have archives so I can view it) so I could see all the posters voting and stuff...
Thanks for trying though. You can have an internet cookie for trying to be a good person.

right at the top of the page is a link to the original thread

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Stephen9001 posted:

Ah, pardon :) I misread your post, and had it flipped around.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

AriadneThread posted:

right at the top of the page is a link to the original thread

Oh right, thanks, I somehow missed that, DERP. And now, to binge.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

One day I am going to top Ofaloaf and everyone else and go from Rome 2 to Stellaris as Carthage.

But that day is not this day!

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Mister Adequate posted:

One day I am going to top Ofaloaf and everyone else and go from Rome 2 to Stellaris as Carthage.

Play Rome 2 as Carthage, mod Attila to reflect the world at the end of Rome 2, then mod CK2 to reflect the world at the end of Attila and so on.

Flawless.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mister Adequate posted:

Then you get topped by the person doing SimAnt to Stellaris.

With fully modded scenarios for CK2 (based on the After the End scenario), EU4, V3, HOI4, XCOM 2 and Quake 1 to make the full transition.

I remember FSAD was doing a Carthage Won scenario for V2 but dropped it after being distracted by a passing communist revolution in Africa, does anyone remember or have his notes saved?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

MinistryofLard posted:

Play Rome 2 as Carthage, mod Attila to reflect the world at the end of Rome 2, then mod CK2 to reflect the world at the end of Attila and so on.

Flawless.

Exactly! The problem is I can mod the Pdox stuff fine, but I don't know if I am up to such extensive TW modding, or if it can even be done to that extent.

ZearothK posted:

Then you get topped by the person doing SimAnt to Stellaris.

With fully modded scenarios for CK2 (based on the After the End scenario), EU4, V3, HOI4, XCOM 2 and Quake 1 to make the full transition.

Comedy option: end HoI in nuclear hellfire, make an appropriate CK2 scenario, repeat ad infinitum :v:

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Mister Adequate posted:

Comedy option: end HoI in nuclear hellfire, make an appropriate CK2 scenario, repeat ad infinitum :v:

Is it wrong that i think that's honestly really cool?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I'm pretty sure it would get boring after the second cycle at the latest (not to mention a nuclear war every few centuries wouldn't be the best for the biosphere)

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Mister Adequate posted:

Exactly! The problem is I can mod the Pdox stuff fine, but I don't know if I am up to such extensive TW modding, or if it can even be done to that extent.

It can, actually. It's just more intensive generally because 3d models for all armies. Also their modding structure is just more intensive than paradox's in general, I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
eu rome -> rome 2 -> attila -> ck2 -> euiv -> vic 2 -> hoiv -> ck2 postapoc -> euiv -> vic 3 (which will be out by now) -> stellaris -> spore

by the end it'll be like that old joke where a post calls out a number and everyone immediately knows what injoke it is

• Locked thread