Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

How could you not even know this, you uncultured swine

In case you don't get this reference either, so I don't just seem like an rear end :shobon:

Shame Boy has a new favorite as of 05:28 on Jul 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
The mean spirited guy is incredibly vain, because his spirit is way, way, way below the mean. "Mean spirited" has to do with the arithmetic mean, the average. It was a way for the nobility to make fun of the plebs. He is so much worse than average, though.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Jack of Hearts posted:

The mean spirited guy is incredibly vain, because his spirit is way, way, way below the mean. "Mean spirited" has to do with the arithmetic mean, the average. It was a way for the nobility to make fun of the plebs. He is so much worse than average, though.

[citation needed]

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Polybius91 posted:

The two hosts of Mystery Science Theater 3000.

Oh, you mean that boring show with the awful skits that got popular because nineties nerds had no standards?

I know who they are, my comment was just bait so I could insult the show. It really was terribly boring. No amount of "witty" commentary could salvage what are painfully dull films. Even the "good" ones like Space Mutiny ("Roll Fizzlebeef") are just too boring to be tolerable. And the skits intercut with the movies were unforgivably lame. Their modern rifftrax incarnation is actually far superior to the original, because bad blockbusters are much more entertaining than bad low-budget sixties films.

Curvature of Earth has a new favorite as of 08:18 on Jul 26, 2016

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Curvature of Earth posted:

Oh, you mean that boring show with the awful skits that got popular because nineties nerds had no standards?

I know who they are, my comment was just bait so I could insult the show. It really was terribly boring. No amount of "witty" commentary could salvage what are painfully dull films. Even the "good" ones like Space Mutiny ("Roll Fizzlebeef") are just too boring to be tolerable. And the skits intercut with the movies were unforgivably lame. Their modern rifftrax incarnation is actually far superior to the original, because bad blockbusters are much more entertaining than bad low-budget sixties films.

Source your quotes.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Literally The Worst posted:

I like big butts

A bold statement that I agree with

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

A bold statement that I agree with

Well it depends, do we know he cannot lie?

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Tesseraction posted:

He has not made this known, but I wouldn't deny that I get sprung by by big butts

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

[citation needed]

What?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I believe he's asking where you got the idea that 'mean spirited' meant the arithmetic mean or 'common pleb' - I suppose because the historic etymology is somewhat cloudy.

For the record, the adjective 'mean' to mean (heh) cruel, spiteful, etc. supposedly comes from the Old English gemǣne, from the same root as the Germanic gemein (common). Basically the idea that commoners were petty and small-minded, unlike the noble class.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tesseraction posted:

I believe he's asking where you got the idea that 'mean spirited' meant the arithmetic mean or 'common pleb' - I suppose because the historic etymology is somewhat cloudy.

For the record, the adjective 'mean' to mean (heh) cruel, spiteful, etc. supposedly comes from the Old English gemǣne, from the same root as the Germanic gemein (common). Basically the idea that commoners were petty and small-minded, unlike the noble class.

Interesting. Although it amounts to the same thing, doesn't it? I'll cheerfully admit to being wrong if I'm wrong, but it sounds like meanness works the same way from either etymology.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Jack of Hearts posted:

Interesting. Although it amounts to the same thing, doesn't it? I'll cheerfully admit to being wrong if I'm wrong, but it sounds like meanness works the same way from either etymology.

One is defined by being greater than the commoners
One is defined by the commoners being naturally horrible

Maybe I'm wrong though

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jack of Hearts posted:

Oh I was basically agreeing with you, just saying that while it's not the arithmetic mean, it does indeed come from 'common'

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Tesseraction posted:

Basically the idea that commoners were petty and small-minded, unlike the noble class.

"Villain" comes from the same place- commoner, farmhand, "one who works the land of a villa."

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Tesseraction posted:

Sir Mix-a-Lot likes big butts and cannot lie. Sir Mix-a-Lot's brother does not like big butts and cannot tell the truth. You may ask one question.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

There's no reason on earth why Halloween should have a Rifftrax, gently caress those guys

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Jack Gladney posted:

Sir Mix-a-Lot likes big butts and cannot lie. Sir Mix-a-Lot's brother does not like big butts and cannot tell the truth. You may ask one question.

This is a logic puzzle from a few years ago. “You are curious whether your butt is big or small. Unfortunately, you lack the ability to accurately assess the size of butts. Fortunately, there are three rappers before you …”

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tesseraction posted:

Oh I was basically agreeing with you, just saying that while it's not the arithmetic mean, it does indeed come from 'common'

Shockingly, it turns out I know literally nothing on any topic. Neat, though.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
http://mister-mean-spirited.blogspot.com/2016/07/are-other-people-fully-human.html

https://twitter.com/dril/status/641861221042548736

Space Poodle
Nov 11, 2007
I don't get how so many of these dudes claim they are utterly self-aware, committed misanthropists who care for nothing Lebowski, but when stupid sheep thousands of miles away are slaughtered by the dastardly Mooooslims, suddenly they give a poo poo about strangers? Make up your mind, Edgelord. You either fully live, soaking in your own I-ness, deep in the Gulch, or you accept that you're not, and can never be, a prime mover because the Nationalism tickles your fancy. Exercise some of that rare and sparkly self-awareness.

Joshmo
Aug 22, 2007

Literally The Worst posted:

There's no reason on earth why Halloween should have a Rifftrax, gently caress those guys
They do some stuff like that on purpose. Among a handful of other great movies, they even did Casablanca, and they've all said it's in each of their Top 5 favorite movies. Although it starts to tail off towards the end, it is probably my favorite Riff they've ever done. This coming from a dude with a giant Humphey Bogart poster on his wall.

Mister Mean Spirited posted:

A humanitarian does not have a soul.
This is true, Norman Borlaug is really just an alien that did it all for shits and giggles. Hah, I unofficially saved 1.5 billion people, that'll teach those pesky humans! :argh:
(I've been read like every post on Manboobz/We Hunted the Mammoth and even with all that background, this dude is genuinely confusing. There's no precedent.)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Joshmo posted:

They do some stuff like that on purpose. Among a handful of other great movies, they even did Casablanca, and they've all said it's in each of their Top 5 favorite movies. Although it starts to tail off towards the end, it is probably my favorite Riff they've ever done. This coming from a dude with a giant Humphey Bogart poster on his wall.

I mean there are a few riffs that really don't work very well, usually because the source material is already funny (and riffing a comedy just doesn't work, it seems) but for the most part they're pretty great. I especially like all the dumb 50's educational shorts about menstruation or being a secretary or whatever Bridget and Mary Jo have been doing, they're a lot more casual and chatty :3:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Space Poodle posted:

I don't get how so many of these dudes claim they are utterly self-aware, committed misanthropists who care for nothing Lebowski, but when stupid sheep thousands of miles away are slaughtered by the dastardly Mooooslims, suddenly they give a poo poo about strangers? Make up your mind, Edgelord. You either fully live, soaking in your own I-ness, deep in the Gulch, or you accept that you're not, and can never be, a prime mover because the Nationalism tickles your fancy. Exercise some of that rare and sparkly self-awareness.

It makes sense when you realize his opinions are not ruled by consistency, reality, logic, or anything that relies on the real world or external facts. They are ruled by hate, and only hate.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I think I'd sooner be addicted to krokodil than hate. Hate's a hell of a drug.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I can't stand MST and by extension Rifftrax because it seems like 75% of the humour is "ha ha [character] looks/acts/sounds like [random loving d-list celebrity] isn't that funny!!!!"

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Lady Naga posted:

I can't stand MST and by extension Rifftrax because it seems like 75% of the humour is "ha ha [character] looks/acts/sounds like [random loving d-list celebrity] isn't that funny!!!!"

It's mud-at-a-wall comedy. The jokes move too fast for the bad ones to really matter, they're mostly there to keep the flow going.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
In that case I might as well just listen to a sounds of nature CD or something if I wanted meaningless garbage constantly pumped into my ears.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Woolie Wool posted:

I think I'd sooner be addicted to krokodil than hate. Hate's a hell of a drug.

I have been in the "get angry all the time at stupid poo poo" mindset and it is very, very unpleasant.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Yeah I've been there too, but that's nothing compared to being a hater like some of the people we discuss in this thread.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Oh MMS has built his own cage, the point where being himself is both his crime and his punishment.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

divabot posted:

This is a logic puzzle from a few years ago. “You are curious whether your butt is big or small. Unfortunately, you lack the ability to accurately assess the size of butts. Fortunately, there are three rappers before you …”

Given that this is mocking logic puzzles a bit, and that he doesn't foist an answer on you condescendingly I've gotta guess that this ethical werewolf guy isn't a DE type.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Joshmo posted:

that's loving stupid

Lady Naga posted:

i question whether or not you've actually seen mst3k then

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I'd do the same considering a lot of communities on the internet that were heavily influenced by Mystery Science Theatre do the exact same thing.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lady Naga posted:

I'd do the same considering a lot of communities on the internet that were heavily influenced by Mystery Science Theatre do the exact same thing.

i don't know what idiots on the internet who don't understand that that show wasn't done spur of the moment and actually had a writing staff have to do with anything, or how it proves that you know your rear end from a hole in the ground

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
I've been addicted to hate, and convinced that most people lack self-awareness. But I'd never single out a single group or person. Is there any proof that most people have self-awareness/think deeply about things? Or are they just ruled by instinct?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Count Chocula posted:

I've been addicted to hate, and convinced that most people lack self-awareness. But I'd never single out a single group or person. Is there any proof that most people have self-awareness/think deeply about things? Or are they just ruled by instinct?

Marriage must be impossible to get out of except for great and grave fault. Each party must be legally and socially compelled to provide the other with sexual comfort according to the desire of the other. If marriage is to be durable, there can be no such thing as marital rape. Indeed it must be the absence of marital rape, marital debt, that is illegal, ridiculous, anti social and despised. Further, each must be legally and socially compelled not only to provide sexual comfort according to the desire of the other, but reproductive sex according to the desire of the other.

Further, since they must form one household, one flesh, and one household must have one master, the wife must agree to honor and obey her husband. The husband must have the right to physically discipline his wife, his dependent sons, and his unmarried daughters until they become engaged, become married, or reach menopause. And since the wife must agree to honor her husband, he must be entitled to discipline her for insolence and disrespect.

If a husband fails to sexually gratify his wife, incurs undue marital debt, he should suffer social opprobrium, and a possible fine. If a wife fails to sexually gratify her husband, she should suffer social opprobrium, and be beaten.

Then, people can make their own reproductive decisions.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Lottery of Babylon posted:

If a husband fails to sexually gratify his wife, incurs undue marital debt, he should suffer social opprobrium, and a possible fine. If a wife fails to sexually gratify her husband, she should suffer social opprobrium, and be beaten.

Is there any reason for these differing punishments outside of misogyny?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Is there any reason for these differing punishments outside of misogyny?

With women there’s not much of a problem because they have relatively small brains and therefore do what they’re told without any logical thinking involved in the process, so when told by dykes and kikes to pursue meaningless careers at the expense of having 6 kids on average, that’s what they do; remove the aforementioned dykes and kikes, and tell them that God wants them to be mothers, and they’ll become mothers without objection.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Lottery of Babylon posted:

With women there’s not much of a problem because they have relatively small brains and therefore do what they’re told without any logical thinking involved in the process, so when told by dykes and kikes to pursue meaningless careers at the expense of having 6 kids on average, that’s what they do; remove the aforementioned dykes and kikes, and tell them that God wants them to be mothers, and they’ll become mothers without objection.

your posts are the best part of this forum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Night10194 posted:

The wowed observer: The surest sign of poo poo That Didn't Happen.

That, and any time clapping occurs.