Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Too Much Joy and King Missile are pretty solid examples of the '90's goofy music scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Neito posted:

They transitioned to kids songs I think?

TMBG tends to do a kids album, then a not kids album, then a kids album, etc. Their new stuff remains pretty drat good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlGNm7_dvz4

(This is new-ish anyway, merely eight years old. Oh god I’m ancient… :negative:)

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Has there been fun summer jams in the last few years? I have lost all touch with popular music that isn't synthwave and that isn't popular music.

Christ, same. My idea of a summer jam these days is whatever synthwave is new—I don’t pay attention to who is playing what—or replaying RTJ4 or Zeal and Ardor. I guess the former of those two kinda counts.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Killingyouguy! posted:

They Might Be Giants have done a few kids albums but they're still putting out normal music too. It's still really good too! Saw them in 2018 and it was a blast
They have a new album coming out in October, and are going on tour in the Spring.

Dewgy posted:

(This is new-ish anyway, merely eight years old. Oh god I’m ancient… :negative:)
Here's some actually new new stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9Zj8ZSz6dE

This Is the Zodiac has a new favorite as of 19:32 on Sep 20, 2021

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
All songs being white guys singing about loving you is something I much more closely link with 40s/50s music than todays music.

I mean its even closer to the 90s than now. Two of the biggest acts in the 90s were 10 white guys singing about loving you.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Sir Lemming posted:

It seems inevitable that as music distribution becomes more democratized, major labels will only have safe, uncontroversial (and/or long established) artists on them. If you want to do weird stuff you just won't bother with them, and they won't bother with you. So that whole thing where an artist gleefully sneaks some weird stuff onto a major label record is probably a relic of the past. You can maybe still do it, but it's just not as fun without that context.

Fat Mike from NOFX talked about it a long time ago from his experience running Fat Wreck Chords. The cycle was smaller companies would take risks because they were hungry and if someone broke through to mainstream all the larger companies would poach as many similar artists as they could to ride the wave before it petered out.

He was talking specifically about the pop punk wave that kicked off with Blink 182 getting a decent amount of airplay in 99-00. They weren't the first or best but they lucked out with the timing. But he was laughing at them being the ones to kick a lot of the mass appeal off because they were never invited to Warp Tour or shows for their fans or music, they were just fun to hang out with.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Green Day kicked off the pop-punk revival, Blink-182 was toward the end. By the time their two biggest albums came out pop-punk was already giving way to "emo"

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

This Is the Zodiac posted:

Green Day kicked off the pop-punk revival, Blink-182 was toward the end. By the time their two biggest albums came out pop-punk was already giving way to "emo"

Yeah, I remember Dookie era Green Day sharing fans with Pennywise, NOFX, early Offspring and Rancid. I wouldn't say they were deep underground (that album was huge), but generally, people had to seek them out. Blink 182 kind of sat between that wave and stuff like New Found Glory and Bowling for Soup being very mainstream.

I know Green Day and Blink 182 are considered the monsters of pop-punk, but The Offspring had a really successful period too, but with a lovely album which they then followed up with a chain of lovely albums. I guess The Offspring also had success with some loud guitar novelty singles around 1998?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
If you ever feel nostalgic for what the internet looked like in the late 90s/very, very early 2000s look up the Halle Berry/Bruce Willis film "Perfect Stranger", which despite being released in 2007 made me nostalgic for the period of time in 1999 where I was a regular in one of the larger Pokemon boards.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Smash is one of the most successful indie albums ever. The only with Pretty Fly For White Guy was pretty successful.

And Offspring is burned into the mind of anyone who played crazy taxi.

twistedmentat has a new favorite as of 02:26 on Sep 21, 2021

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I think I associate the sound of the Offspring with the 90s more than anything else, and I didn't even listen to them

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Neito posted:

Was there ever a resolution to that "Andrew WK may not be Andrew WK" thing that was going around a few years ago, or did we collectively lose interest and drop it?
Well he's marrying Kat Dennings so I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Yeah Green Day and Offspring were big hits first but they didn't really open the floodgates Blink 182 did with Enema of the State in '99. If anything I'd say Green Day and Offspring opened more ears to the angrier more confrontational side of punk.

Blink 182 was a bubblegum pop punk that was safe for the tweens, they couldn't even make a serious song about suicide without an inside baseball joke. The mass appeal led records and radio stations to snap anyone similar, the early 2000s were flooded with the whole pop punk and the eventual pop punk/emo hybrids.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Also Bad Religion :D

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

twistedmentat posted:

Smash is one of the most successful indie albums ever. The only with Pretty Fly For White Guy was pretty successful.

"Pretty Fly for a White Guy" was a huge hit in the UK, I think possibly even number one and it made Americana a big hit, I think both my dad and 10yr old brother bought copies independently. After that, their big hits were "Why Don't You Get a Job" and "Hit That" a few years later. I remember "I Want You Bad" being a single off the next record, but not really getting the same rotation the goofy (and weirdly reactionary and boomery) singles did. "Smash" was really only known by the "moshers" over here.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

iirc Smash is still the most successful indie album ever.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

If anything I'd say Green Day... opened more ears to the angrier more confrontational side of punk.

NO.

Bullshit weak pop-punk garbage.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

PhotoKirk posted:

NO.

But also a lot of people's gateway. I mean, gently caress, I maybe listened to Throbbing Gristle as a teenager, but only because I was listening to (ick) Marilyn Manson a couple of years before.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
No True Punksman.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

PhotoKirk posted:

NO.

Some people have to cut their teeth somewhere.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Disco Pope posted:

But also a lot of people's gateway. I mean, gently caress, I maybe listened to Throbbing Gristle as a teenager, but only because I was listening to (ick) Marilyn Manson a couple of years before.

Portrait of an American fambly and Antichrist were good albums. Mostly thanks to *cough* nothing records guiding influence.

In what circles do you listen to Throbbing Gristle though? I own an album from them but I guess I'm not that hardcore as to listen to it much. Skinny Puppy OTOH.

Green Day and Offspring were accessible and just okay. BR is still cool. Rancid, OPIV and DK were out of my Jansport backpack patch range.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Portrait of an American fambly and Antichrist were good albums. Mostly thanks to *cough* nothing records guiding influence.

In what circles do you listen to Throbbing Gristle though? I own an album from them but I guess I'm not that hardcore as to listen to it much. Skinny Puppy OTOH.

Green Day and Offspring were accessible and just okay. BR is still cool. Rancid, OPIV and DK were out of my Jansport backpack patch range.

In my teens, slightly before Napster made just downloading things accessible, I'd hear that stuff and want to find more industrial which lead to people posting about bands like TG, Test Department and Nurse With Wound. Honestly, most of it scared and confused wee me, but I stand by believing that everyone has gateway bands.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
A friend of mine saw Green Day play at a burger joint in Edmonton just before Dookie came out. The club across the street had either stiffed them on upfront pay or were putting them on first against their wishes, I don't remember exactly. So they said gently caress you and played their set for free directly across the street at the burger joint. He said he knew the instant they started playing that were going to be huge.

The band got invited to a house party that night and, in his words, "they hosed everyone's girlfriends".

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Calaveron posted:

If you ever feel nostalgic for what the internet looked like in the late 90s/very, very early 2000s look up the Halle Berry/Bruce Willis film "Perfect Stranger", which despite being released in 2007 made me nostalgic for the period of time in 1999 where I was a regular in one of the larger Pokemon boards.

What are we talkin here? AGNP? Pojo? Bulbapedia? We need some dang details

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Disco Pope posted:

In my teens, slightly before Napster made just downloading things accessible, I'd hear that stuff and want to find more industrial which lead to people posting about bands like TG, Test Department and Nurse With Wound. Honestly, most of it scared and confused wee me, but I stand by believing that everyone has gateway bands.

I liked reading about 70s / 80s industrial music culture (e.g. Industrial Culture Handbook, published in '83 but I found it in a record store in '98) than I did actually listening to the music. I felt like I had to give it a fair shake, but eventually landed on "this is more interesting on paper" and gave the discs away.

Also, it's pretty obvious from the distance of many years of actual post-adolescent life experience that a lot of this was being edgy for the sake of being edgy, often jutting right up against "being an rear end in a top hat".

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
In high school in the late 90s/early 2000s I was very indignant when I told someone asking about my dead Kennedy’s shirt that they were punk, and they responded “oh like offspring or Green Day!”

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
In my younger years I used to say stuff like that to get a rise out of music snobs. Now I dont even listen to music and only listen to podcasts like an old man.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Ambitious Spider posted:

In high school in the late 90s/early 2000s I was very indignant when I told someone asking about my dead Kennedy’s shirt that they were punk, and they responded “oh like offspring or Green Day!”

I speak of myself when I say that high school Strong Music Opinions are the worst opinions.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

In my younger years I used to say stuff like that to get a rise out of music snobs. Now I dont even listen to music and only listen to podcasts like an old man.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Trabant posted:

I speak of myself when I say that high school Strong Music Opinions are the worst opinions.

Middle school ones as well. Those years taught me the hard way not to get into pointless arguments over musical taste. Just not worth the time and effort.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Middle school ones as well. Those years taught me the hard way not to get into pointless arguments over musical taste. Just not worth the time and effort.

This is the description of a food derail

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Trabant posted:

co-sign, even though somehow at 35 i still agree with a few of them

i just keep them to myself because even fewer people want to hear them now than did in 2000

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Spoeank posted:

What are we talkin here? AGNP? Pojo? Bulbapedia? We need some dang details

The Pokémasters of course

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

I wasn't sure if it still was so i didn't want to make an rear end of myself yet again by saying it was. Good that it is! Offspring are one of the few interviewees in the Woodstock 99 doc that come off as really good guys.

Disco Pope posted:

"Pretty Fly for a White Guy" was a huge hit in the UK, I think possibly even number one and it made Americana a big hit, I think both my dad and 10yr old brother bought copies independently. After that, their big hits were "Why Don't You Get a Job" and "Hit That" a few years later. I remember "I Want You Bad" being a single off the next record, but not really getting the same rotation the goofy (and weirdly reactionary and boomery) singles did. "Smash" was really only known by the "moshers" over here.

Yea Pretty Fly was a big hit here in Canada. I remember there being stories where moms would be upset because that song described their sons. Also I'm pretty sure that song resulted in people using the descriptive "wigger" to describe white guys who acted black. Which we thought was a totally cool and acceptable thing to say not thinking of the root of the word. Yikes.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

twistedmentat posted:

I wasn't sure if it still was so i didn't want to make an rear end of myself yet again by saying it was. Good that it is! Offspring are one of the few interviewees in the Woodstock 99 doc that come off as really good guys.

Yea Pretty Fly was a big hit here in Canada. I remember there being stories where moms would be upset because that song described their sons. Also I'm pretty sure that song resulted in people using the descriptive "wigger" to describe white guys who acted black. Which we thought was a totally cool and acceptable thing to say not thinking of the root of the word. Yikes.

Nah, that term was in use back in the Vanilla Ice days, maybe earlier. I remember hearing it in high school (I'm almost 50).

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

twistedmentat posted:

I'm glad it's not in general use, but "wigger" is part of a long, weird causal chain that ends with "weeaboo" and every time I think about how that term started I snicker a little.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

This song is great TMBG and like it's clear (and cool) that they figured out a weird alt. version of the "Louie Louie" riff to form the initial melody (correct me if I'm wrong I don't know music terms)... but gently caress whenever that riff kicks in it takes me right out of the drat song.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Neito posted:

I'm glad it's not in general use, but "wigger" is part of a long, weird causal chain that ends with "weeaboo" and every time I think about how that term started I snicker a little.

It's gone farther than that. Wehraboo came after that. It's used for people who are either Nazi sympathizers in history circles or for people who claim not to be but have a hell of a lot Nazi/SS memorabilia.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

Still is. The only other album that could have overtaken it would have been The Joshua Tree if Island Records wasn't sold to PolyGram UK 2 years after release, but who knows if it or U2 in general would have been as successful if that didn't happen. Smash also has to be up there as far as cost of production vs revenue, it only cost a few thousand dollars.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Punk is the most gate-keeping community.
"Real punk died with Sid Vicious."
"No, real punk died CBGB closed for the first time."
"No, real punk died when GG Alin couldn't take a poo poo on stage because the heroin he was on made him too constipated."

As far as I can tell the importance of arguing about what is or is not punk is the only thing that punk can agree on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

They have a new album coming out in October, and are going on tour in the Spring.

Here's some actually new new stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9Zj8ZSz6dE

Anyone still use dial-a-song? I've been using it since the 90's on occasion. Back when it was just some answering machine in New York or whatever.

The quality is far worse than normal phone quality. It's awesome. I still knew all the songs when I first started calling. Now, I don't know any of them. The last album I bought was "Factory Showroom" They kind of fell off my radar after that.

I still listen to the old stuff though. I play a few of their songs on guitar. I sing a lot of them all the time to irritate my kids. I just think something changed at "Factory Showroom" and I just decided I didn't like their stuff anymore.