Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

DStecks posted:

Please cite.

Looks like I was misremembering, she only said most protagonists should be women.

quote:

"At least half of the options should be women and, really, it would be great if it was more than half the options were women, and I know some people think I'm completely loony when I say that."

From http://kotaku.com/how-anita-sarkeesian-wants-video-games-to-change-1688231729

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

senae posted:

Looks like I was misremembering,

A lot of people seem to do that when it comes to this lady.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Leal posted:

A lot of love went into Snake's dudebutt in MGS4

Snake's always had a great rear end. I seem to recall Geralt showing what he's got back there a few times in Witcher 3 as well. I struggle to think of other prominent dudeasses in video games, though.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

DStecks posted:

OTOH, if we push harder on "more sexy dudebutts" than "less sexy ladybutts", then there's a real risk that the increased number of sexy dudebutts will legitimize having lots of sexy ladybutts and having it be the norm. "It's ok that all the female PCs are sexy, look at all the sexy dudes!" disregarding that a man being sexy does not make us think less of him like it does for women, a known sociological phenomenon.

Well, yeah, that's why I want it in tandem.

quote:

I personally would very much like to see more sexualized male PCs, like yourself, but it is not in any way a solution to the problem presented in the video we are discussing.

I still feel it's a two-sided problem, myself, but it isn't like I disagree that "quit treatin' ladytype characters like wank fodder" is a great solution. And I'll quit after this because it doesn't matter that much, since I am nowhere near in charge of AAA games.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It's okay to have sexy female characters, the problem is that female characters that aren't designed to be sexy for male audiences are in the vast minority. Males that are only around to be sexy for females are also in the minority. That's why something like Magic Mike or even 50 Shades of Grey stands out so much, the ladies are starved for fanservice while for guys it's literally everywhere. If you want strong and well-developed male characters there is a huge amount to choose from, while for a strong and well-developed female character you need to kinda dig around a lot.

It also doesn't help that every counter-example these days gets decried by an army of manchildren as being "pandering to tumblrites" or some such poo poo.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
more man butts. more man butts!

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Augus posted:

A lot of people seem to do that when it comes to this lady.

In my defense, I was defending her, wasn't as off as they tend to be, and have the shittest memory in the world about everything.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Yardbomb posted:

They've been pretty assy to people recording their games lately/for a bit now.

Even aside from bigger dudes like Angry Joe getting slapped with takedown stuff for just posting videos of Mario Party, seemingly at random they'll just wipe out a bunch of videos for showing that their games are fun? :shrug:

Okay, they're assholes at copyright which most companies are to an extent? They're also one of the few large companies that put out mainline games without an once of DLC and regular free updates that literally any other company would charge money for. So it's just a weird comment to say "[insert] is almost as bad as Nintendo!" when they've been one of the last sources of buying the game and that's it.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Tae posted:

Okay, they're assholes at copyright which most companies are to an extent? They're also one of the few large companies that put out mainline games without an once of DLC and regular free updates that literally any other company would charge money for. So it's just a weird comment to say "[insert] is almost as bad as Nintendo!" when they've been one of the last sources of buying the game and that's it.

make sure to buy the Tae amiibo to get the most out of his posts!

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Spiritus Nox posted:

Snake's always had a great rear end. I seem to recall Geralt showing what he's got back there a few times in Witcher 3 as well. I struggle to think of other prominent dudeasses in video games, though.

MGS seems to be the only series which has lovingly crafted dudebutts while a lot of third person action games have dudes wear coats or something which masks a lot of their body shape or are just plain framed so that the camera doesn't show em. Meanwhile any third person game with a female main character is just "you will always look at her arse so might as well make it look good" so it's all butts, all the time.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's funny how many people dismiss her as "Feminism 101, too shallow for me" and then actually can't follow her Feminism 101 logic.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

The heart of the problem is the assumption that women ought to be sexy just because. I don't really object to Catwoman's depiction because sexuality has always been a big part of her character. But Nilin from Remember Me and Ruby from Wet don't express any sexuality in their stories, so the decision to give them sexy asses is purely a decision made out of sexism.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

DStecks posted:

The heart of the problem is the assumption that women ought to be sexy just because. I don't really object to Catwoman's depiction because sexuality has always been a big part of her character. But Nilin from Remember Me and Ruby from Wet don't express any sexuality in their stories, so the decision to give them sexy asses is purely a decision made out of sexism.

I think it's more of a decision made out of marketing concerns than any actual negative attitudes toward women. Unless sexualized marketing itself is inherently sexist, which falls us down the slippery slope of trying to identify which sexual content is supposed to be wank material and which isn't.

Or maybe it's the sight of content clearly targeting a different gender/demographic that makes people uncomfortable. I dunno. I mean, I also took offense at having to play as the Raiden in MGS2, but I was also 12 and didn't understand that the character was made for girls.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

je1 healthcare posted:

I think it's more of a decision made out of marketing concerns than any actual negative attitudes toward women. Unless sexualized marketing itself is inherently sexist, which falls us down the slippery slope of trying to identify which sexual content is supposed to be wank material and which isn't.

Or maybe it's the sight of content clearly targeting a different gender/demographic that makes people uncomfortable. I dunno. I mean, I also took offense at having to play as the Raiden in MGS2, but I was also 12 and didn't understand that the character was made for girls.

and then he turn into a sexy robot ninja who battled super Dick Cheney. I think he turn out better then other game characters like sonic.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 20, 2016

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Cyron posted:

and then he turn into a sexy robot ninja who battled super Dick Cheney. I think he turn out better then other game characters like sonic.

actually I think more people have masturbated to Sonic by now than any sexualized game character

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

How the gently caress did this show last eleven loving seasons plus two spinoffs?

Edit: Holy poo poo Island of Romance! You don't get to have a character moralize about judging people by their looks after THAT montage!

Edit 2: Is the woman who got abducted ever seen again? Wasn't she a main character?

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 21, 2016

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

BigRed0427 posted:

How the gently caress did this show last eleven loving seasons plus two spinoffs?

tits + primitive internet access = 11 seasons and 2 spin offs.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Tae posted:

On the Wii U they're nice about DLC.

But a lot of their 3DS titles are fairly DLC heavy. Their focus is on the portable titles and Fire Emblem is a clear indication of the direction they're headed (I'm not talking about the split campaign thing of Fates either.)

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
New BHH video on youtube is good.

edit; gently caress cried at david bowie and winter soldier hayley atwell, CGI IS DUMB.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 21, 2016

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

senae posted:

Looks like I was misremembering, she only said most protagonists should be women.

From http://kotaku.com/how-anita-sarkeesian-wants-video-games-to-change-1688231729

Misremembering is putting it very lightly.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Compendium posted:

edit; gently caress cried at david bowie and winter soldier hayley atwell, CGI IS DUMB.

It was good though I felt like I didn't quite get an adequate sense of what Immortal is like, although apparently it's confusing as hell.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Mokinokaro posted:

On the Wii U they're nice about DLC.

Is Smash Bros. the one exception here?

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

je1 healthcare posted:

actually I think more people have masturbated to Sonic by now than any sexualized game character

I made the mistake of Googling for some information about The Last Of Us.

And the top autocompletes were all along the lines of "How old is Ellie?"

And then I remembered the only reason people ask about female character/actor's ages.

:therapy:

she's 14

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Compendium posted:

It's actually kind of weird to me that people haven't experimented more with the concept of CGI's unreality. There are a lot of extremely bizarre rendering bugs I've seen that, if you could reproduce them, you could use for some great experimental stuff. Once I rendered an object with some subtly sketchy parameters, and as you rotated the camera it just warped and had black triangles spiking at odd directions. I know that's not entirely sufficient for the type of experimentation Kyle meant, but you can get some really interesting effects by intentionally screwing up shaders and other things.

skullhead tethyis
Dec 30, 2015

Jsor posted:

It's actually kind of weird to me that people haven't experimented more with the concept of CGI's unreality. There are a lot of extremely bizarre rendering bugs I've seen that, if you could reproduce them, you could use for some great experimental stuff. Once I rendered an object with some subtly sketchy parameters, and as you rotated the camera it just warped and had black triangles spiking at odd directions. I know that's not entirely sufficient for the type of experimentation Kyle meant, but you can get some really interesting effects by intentionally screwing up shaders and other things.

their bugs, on the one hand, they are by their nature non-portable, and don't fire 100% of the time; You can imagine the drain of having to re-render 70% of your scenes for one effect.

one the other hand most 3d graphics people are engineers at heart, who abhor errors and mistakes, who will do everything they can to avoid wasteful expenditure.

on the gripping hand the "artistic vision" is not something actually experienced by the artist, but an informal consent by the group that consumes it. (who likely wouldn't know the appearance or the effort put info experimentation )

skullhead tethyis
Dec 30, 2015
frak man the nerdwriter just put a thing on how hard it is to understand technical art
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=783hwpJTjlo

an explanation: "rainbow planes" mentioned in the video is an artifact of the Irem photo-lithography equipment on satellites
the detectors get confused on the height of an object when blending the sRGB image and transpose the colors in the direction the object is moving,
basiclly: satellite magic
the unspoken reality is it happens frequently, and is dull to think about

the same way that most cgi is, practical effects have the bonus intrigue of "how'd they do that" cgi has a two word answer: computer magic

skullhead tethyis fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 21, 2016

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

John Murdoch posted:

Is Smash Bros. the one exception here?

Honestly most of the DLC is pretty pointless and the characters are fairly cheap all things considered.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I never knew Quantic Dream had actually tried to make a movie. Now I kinda want to see it, if only to say I have... It can't possibly be as bad as the secret underground hobo society trying to stop the physical manifestation of the internet from freezing the world, right?

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

BigRed0427 posted:

Edit: Holy poo poo Island of Romance! You don't get to have a character moralize about judging people by their looks after THAT montage!

Edit 2: Is the woman who got abducted ever seen again? Wasn't she a main character?

It's an especially good moral for a show that had a clause in their contracts stating how much the women could weigh.

Also the woman who was abducted was the UFO lady, she was only in that episode. She is never seen or mentioned again.

EDIT: You might've thought she was Stephanie, which someone else in the comments thought too. Rest assured, Stephanie has a far, faaaaar dumber fate.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I never knew Quantic Dream had actually tried to make a movie. Now I kinda want to see it, if only to say I have... It can't possibly be as bad as the secret underground hobo society trying to stop the physical manifestation of the internet from freezing the world, right?

it can't be worse then to boldly fee.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

DStecks posted:

Or they just wanted to make an attractive protagonist. Which is a common trend in pretty much every form of visual media: The good looking, perfectly proportioned person is usually the hero while bad guys have some kind of imperfection or are ugly/sinister looking in a way.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I saw Immortal recently, and like Kyle says, it's not a good movie. But if you can get past the hideous CGI, wooden acting and downright awful sexual politics then it's at least a pretty interesting piece of world-building. If the film had just been about Blue-Hair Girl and her...therapist? I think I'd have enjoyed it more.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Archer666 posted:

Or they just wanted to make an attractive protagonist. Which is a common trend in pretty much every form of visual media: The good looking, perfectly proportioned person is usually the hero while bad guys have some kind of imperfection or are ugly/sinister looking in a way.

You have to admit there's a pretty big difference between male and female protagonists here though. I mean come on. there's a difference between generically attractive and "OMG LOOK AT HER BUTT!!!"

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

FourLeaf posted:

You have to admit there's a pretty big difference between male and female protagonists here though. I mean come on. there's a difference between generically attractive and "OMG LOOK AT HER BUTT!!!"

Take a look at Jill Valentine in Resident Evil Revelations. Her arse is front and center at all times and it isn't just male gaze, unless you're aiming her arse is always in frame and the camera is pretty much always looking at it.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

FourLeaf posted:

There's a difference, but I think you're overreacting. Its not anymore sexist than the camera focusing on a guys sweet, sculpted back muscles and finely toned legs. They're just markers of attractiveness. I don't feel there's anything inherently wrong with that.

I do agree with an earlier statement that video games could use more varied female characters i.e. some less sexy ones. And it's gonna come eventually, just from indies or companies who can take a risk without potentially losing a shitton of cash.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The point made in the video is that the camera height is generally lower with the female protagonists, so your screen gets digitally-rendered buttocks front-and-center about 90% of the time regardless of camera angle. The male protagonists generally have a higher-set camera pushing your focus on the scene out past the protagonist.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Archer666 posted:

There's a difference, but I think you're overreacting. Its not anymore sexist than the camera focusing on a guys sweet, sculpted back muscles and finely toned legs. They're just markers of attractiveness. I don't feel there's anything inherently wrong with that.

I do agree with an earlier statement that video games could use more varied female characters i.e. some less sexy ones. And it's gonna come eventually, just from indies or companies who can take a risk without potentially losing a shitton of cash.

Male and female characters are totally treated the same in games.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

I can only speak for myself, but as a guy who utterly hates fanservicy shots, I thought Bayonetta would not be my cup of tea. But turns out it was done really well and tastefully imho, and I was too busy to look at Bayo's rear end because my own rear end was properly slammed and handed to me by the game. Similarly, when I started MGS V, I joked how much I was looking forward to spending 60ish hours observing BB's glutes. But nope, after about half an hour the character became an extension of myself and I hardly even noticed he was there. Which is, incidentally, why I don't get the point of "sexy mods" - no matter how horny you are, after awhile your mind just sort of filters this stuff out.

That is not to say that there is no pandering. And yes, I absolutely agree there should be variety to men and women's types of physique in all kinds of media, video games included. But I also agree with Archer666 that there is a lot of overreaction to this kind of stuff.

The situation's definitely improving. Baby steps.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Tracula posted:

Honestly most of the DLC is pretty pointless and the characters are fairly cheap all things considered.

It's like $35~ just for all the characters (presumably it will be ever so slightly cheaper if/when they bundle the second wave or bundle them all together). Add another $11~ if you want the stages. Maybe I'm just spoiled by PC gaming when it comes to DLC pricing, but 75% of the box price seems a bit steep.

Funnily enough, the Mii Fighter outfits seem pretty reasonable to me.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jan 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It almost seems like Nintendo lets the dev teams determine the DLC model, given the crazy variation.

• Locked thread