Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Barudak posted:

If you live near a McDonalds Hamburger University location you can get one

Near a what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Schools for franchise owners.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

BlueBlazer posted:

The shoe repair store Seattle proper is staffed by some of the most talented, oddly pierced folk. Had my nice boots resoled for 40$ and back in 3 days.

I want you to read this back to yourself a couple times and think about it a little.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
If you buy a $20 pair of shoes from Payless or whatever, it doesn’t make sense to have them repaired. But shoe repair is absolutely a thing once you start spending a lot, and shoes are something you should prioritize wardrobe budget-wise because they are literally what cushions your feet from the ground.

I get not returning some things to Amazon. If you buy a cheap sweatshop made shirt for like $10 or $15, it really can seem like more trouble than it’s worth. If you’re buying midrange stuff and up though, you’re very BWM.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It's another example of why being poor costs more than being rich. If you have the money for the up-front investment in good footwear, you can get poo poo that will last years and function very well. If you don't, you're stuck buying poo poo that you can afford at the time, but will end up crapping out quick as poo poo and never really do a good job, making you spend more in the long run.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ryonguy posted:

Uh no. Unless you live in some strange Brigadoon--esque 1950's town that manifests only enough to get internet service.

Go Google "shoe repair" then amend this post.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

JustJeff88 posted:

I reeeeaaallly don't like buying any type of clothes online as I cannot try them on first and it's usually both costly and a pain in the arse to exchange/refund. As for the latter bit, I will look into it. Haven't a seen a shoemaker/cobbler/Duke of Wellington in yonks.

By the way, I am aware that Arthur Wellesley didn't invent wellies, he just made them famous.
I've brought this up before but just about everywhere I order from does free returns and exchanges. I just duct tape the return label right onto the box, or bag they came in, and drop it off at the post office when running some other errand.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ryonguy posted:

Uh no. Unless you live in some strange Brigadoon--esque 1950's town that manifests only enough to get internet service.

This has nothing to do with the topic at hand but Im compeled eveytime it comes up to say gently caress Brigadoon

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PT6A posted:

It's another example of why being poor costs more than being rich. If you have the money for the up-front investment in good footwear, you can get poo poo that will last years and function very well. If you don't, you're stuck buying poo poo that you can afford at the time, but will end up crapping out quick as poo poo and never really do a good job, making you spend more in the long run.

Literally the Samuel Vimes 'boots' theory.

Hell, if you're poor or just sheltered chances are you have literally no idea WHERE to buy good footwear.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

I've brought this up before but just about everywhere I order from does free returns and exchanges. I just duct tape the return label right onto the box, or bag they came in, and drop it off at the post office when running some other errand.

Amazon is the big outlier that does not do free returns unless the item is defective or you live near a Kohls that does drop off.

Amazon sucks.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

PT6A posted:

That's my issue; the "too poor to save money" paradox. It makes all of the sense in the world for me to find a really top-shelf pair of warm, water-tight boots that could last for decades, but that's a titanic investment. Alongside tens of millions of others, my life in the past two years especially has been nothing but perverse incentives brought on by poverty and perverse incentives. I could literally write pages on all of these situations that I have been in, which of course I won't, but suffice it to say that I am acutely aware of the irony.

HootTheOwl posted:

Go Google "shoe repair" then amend this post.

I know that this was not directed at me per se, but I did and there are indeed a few places near me. However, these are cheap boots that would hardly be worth the time to repair and, even if they are repairable, it could very well cost more than I could afford or even paid for them.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

JustJeff88 posted:

I know that this was not directed at me per se, but I did and there are indeed a few places near me. However, these are cheap boots that would hardly be worth the time to repair and, even if they are repairable, it could very well cost more than I could afford or even paid for them.

I don't want to get too deep into your situation, but if you can make it through this season I would highly suggest trying to get quality boots for next winter. I also have big feet and can tell you first hand that size is part of the reason why you should spend the extra if you can, even cheap boots can be waterproofed, resoled, reinsulated, rewhatevered.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hell, if you're poor or just sheltered chances are you have literally no idea WHERE to buy good footwear.

Is New Balance good shoes? They're insanely pricey compared to the stuff I bought when I was younger but every pair seems to last me 2 years of hard work.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
New Balance has a good reputation, but get them at a discount and try to get them for your foot type- the run them on a pretty constant model churn.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Make sure you get the bright red ones though.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Is New Balance good shoes? They're insanely pricey compared to the stuff I bought when I was younger but every pair seems to last me 2 years of hard work.

They're also made by MAGA CHUDs, so, there's that.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Does that mean the "New Balance" is more right-wing?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Discendo Vox posted:

New Balance has a good reputation, but get them at a discount and try to get them for your foot type- the run them on a pretty constant model churn.

They offer wide and narrow sizes which make them fit better and wear down less. Ime they're no better or worse than similar shoes at similar prices. But they said they were excited for Trump's ecconomics in 16 because some of their lines are made in America. This means they're now the official shoe of the chud. They immediately walked it back but the adoption is done.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Lambert posted:

Does that mean the "New Balance" is more right-wing?

Just lol if you don't get your political analysis from anywhere other than fiveseventyfour.com

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

They offer wide and narrow sizes which make them fit better and wear down less. Ime they're no better or worse than similar shoes at similar prices. But they said they were excited for Trump's ecconomics in 16 because some of their lines are made in America. This means they're now the official shoe of the chud. They immediately walked it back but the adoption is done.

If your first reaction to Trump being elected is or was "this is good, and I'll say so publicly" then gently caress you, you don't get or deserve a second chance.

I'm sure there were plenty of companies making things in America whose leadership thought it was loving horrible, because it absolutely was and everyone with two braincells to rub together could see that from the minute the election was called.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
This is news to me, entirely fair, and unfortunate, because I like several aspects of NB manufacturing.

uh, I also like Brooks? They had some really nice models for inward pronation awhile back, though their selection's more limited.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I run through a pair a red wings a year personally. Between the climbing and metal decks at work and hiking when I'm not working, I kill shoes pretty fast.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

This is news to me, entirely fair, and unfortunate, because I like several aspects of NB manufacturing.

uh, I also like Brooks? They had some really nice models for inward pronation awhile back, though their selection's more limited.

The owner also donated a significant amount of money to the Trump Victory Committee.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The owner of Brooks did?

drat it, what, are you telling me that the leadership of the sneaker industry, of all places, is filled with lowlifes? Christ, I don't know what to believe. Next you're going to tell me there's no ethical consumption under capitalism!

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Discendo Vox posted:

The owner of Brooks did?
No the owner of New Balance. The owner of Brooks is Berkshire Hathaway and to the limited extent the CEO posts political stuff on twitter it's explicitly not pro Trump.

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 17, 2019

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

HootTheOwl posted:

I don't want to get too deep into your situation, but if you can make it through this season I would highly suggest trying to get quality boots for next winter. I also have big feet and can tell you first hand that size is part of the reason why you should spend the extra if you can, even cheap boots can be waterproofed, resoled, reinsulated, rewhatevered.

Would if I could but I can't. Things may change before the winter of 2019/2020, but I'm not optimistic. Like I said, poverty makes for bad long-term decision making.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Oh thank god, somewhere I can ethically buy athletic shoes! I'm going to buy three pairs and burn two and film it for the internet, just to be extra good

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Discendo Vox posted:

Oh thank god, somewhere I can ethically buy athletic shoes! I'm going to buy three pairs and burn two and film it for the internet, just to be extra good

Loving how fast your posts on the issue have gone from uninformed to just straight poo poo.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

It was, alas, a joke. I will not be buying New Balance in the future, and will keep buying Brooks, aware of the underlying ethical limitations of the decision.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Discendo Vox posted:

It was, alas, a joke. I will not be buying New Balance in the future, and will keep buying Brooks.

When you tell a joke and no one reacts maybe don't keep telling it over and over. We know it's a joke. Don't make it three times.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

When you tell a joke and no one reacts maybe don't keep telling it over and over. We know it's a joke. Don't make it three times.

Did New Balance make the stick jammed up your rear end or something? Chill out.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I remember needing work shoes, and since I’d been out of work for a few months I was still behind on bills. So my only choice was like a $20 pair of Walmart shoes that lasted me six months, and they only looked decent for maybe half of that duration.

I know it’s Cracked and all, but that old article on how capitalism is designed to keep you poor was dead-on.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
My labor union provides a yearly $80 benefit for work boots via our negotiated contract with the company.

Labor unions own.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

PT6A posted:

They're also made by MAGA CHUDs, so, there's that.

gently caress really?

e: God drat just read about the public statement in 2016 and a 2017 article about how the NB founder apparently gave $400k to the Trump campaign. And apparently the alt-right announced that NB are the official shoes of white people

Well that sucks since that’s basically the only brand of shoe I've worn for the last 10 years, the things last years and are comfy

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Feb 17, 2019

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

FCKGW posted:

Amazon is the big outlier that does not do free returns unless the item is defective or you live near a Kohls that does drop off.

Amazon sucks.

I would like to point out that Amazon does zero questioning whatsoever about why you are returning something as defective, and their policy is "give the refund first, give the buyer 30 days to return the product"

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Are there any reputable studies that demonstrate the Amazon deal would have been a net benefit for NYC?

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Feb 17, 2019

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Pants Donkey posted:

I remember needing work shoes, and since I’d been out of work for a few months I was still behind on bills. So my only choice was like a $20 pair of Walmart shoes that lasted me six months, and they only looked decent for maybe half of that duration.

I know it’s Cracked and all, but that old article on how capitalism is designed to keep you poor was dead-on.

I think Terry Pratchett wrote about that before Cracked did. It's the Vimes boots thing.

A rich person can invest in a solid, well made pair of boots that will last a very long time. This costs less in the long run but more in the short run. A poor person is restricted entirely to what he can afford; this leads to buying a cheap pair that won't last nearly as long. The end result costs more in the long run but less in the short run as the poor person is just on a constant treadmill of never being able to afford a sturdy, long lasting pair.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Feb 17, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I think Terry Pratchett wrote about that before Cracked did. It's the Vimes boots thing.

A rich person can invest in a solid, well made pair of boots that will last a very long time. This costs less in the long wrong but more in the short run. A poor person is restricted entirely to what he can afford; this leads to buying a cheap pair that won't last nearly as long. The end result costs more in the long run but less in the short run as the poor person is just on a constant treadmill of never being able to afford a sturdy, long lasting pair.

I did bring that up before, and it applies to so many things. Cars especially; maintenance is expensive and you never know if a mechanic will gouge you, so keep driving that ageing, inefficient beater your life depends on til it conks out and you need urgent repairs and a tow truck.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Everything about being income restricted costs more year over year.

Can't afford new tires but the steel belting is showing? Slap on a cheap used tire. The used tires ruined your balance and are shaking your suspension so hard that you need to repair your suspension long before you would have. But you can't, so your car pulls to the side and burns extra gas. And on and on.

Everything needs maintenance, and if you can't spend dimes up-front, you wind up spending dollars later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I completely empathise with not wanting to be associated with products linked to racists or what have you, but I adhere pretty strongly to the "No ethical consumption under capitalism" argument. So, no matter what I do, I'm still a bad person.