Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I've got no problem with Abbot as a person and I'm sure as a politician she's probably very good, however she falls to pieces on camera and in interview so should have nothing to do with attempting to or running a government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

ukle posted:

She did then she did the whole Private School fiasco and was a disgrace to Labour. She should have been deselected years ago, but due to her being the first black female MP it was too political.

I highly recommend you actually look up the circumstances of the 'private school fiasco', and if you think she deserves abuse for letting her child go to the school he wanted to, congratulations you're scum.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ukle posted:

She did then she did the whole Private School fiasco and was a disgrace to Labour. She should have been deselected years ago, but due to her being the first black female MP it was too political.

Yeah such an unfair advantage in politics, being black and female.

Wut.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Gonzo McFee posted:

lol get hosed.

The better counterargument would be to talk about how there are actually many good things she has done or put a serious effort into attempting to do in her career.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Praseodymi posted:

I highly recommend you actually look up the circumstances of the 'private school fiasco', and if you think she deserves abuse for letting her child go to the school he wanted to, congratulations you're scum.

Her child insisted on going to private school?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/868518128086593540

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

learnincurve posted:

Just put him on ignore if he annoys you.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Her child insisted on going to private school?

On going to that particular school, yes.

E: it's on her wikipedia page for fucks sake.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

To be fair, Dianne abbot isn't that good as a frontline politician, her prime benefit being only "can take premium position without undermining Labour leader".

That said though a lot of the right's comments about her are "is black" "is fat" & "slept with corbs" which is not ok.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

serious gaylord posted:

I've got no problem with Abbot as a person and I'm sure as a politician she's probably very good, however she falls to pieces on camera and in interview so should have nothing to do with attempting to or running a government.

I'm not sure if I trust the opinions of a tiger

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Pissflaps posted:

Looking forward to seeing if you're right and we get a hung parliament.

I haven't predicted a hung parliament, I've said it's a realistic possibility.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
my guess is that Labour will do about as badly as it has previously polled, even in terms of vote share rather than seats, and the Corbyn bounce will not survive into the ballot room. i'll be pleased to be wrong though

as for abbott, her major disqualifier is being a gaffe machine. she cannot remember, much less clearly articulate, her own party's policies during interviews before national audiences and has demonstrated this over and over again. this is ok for a backbencher, if annoying, but what the heck it's a safe seat in Labour's many London strongholds anyway. for a frontbencher, though, one is not supposed to be marshalling campaign staff to hastily clarify your misstatements after-the-fact

her long career in a safe seat also counts against her on the national stage; many of the core planks of the Labour left have become toxic over the years, even in a safe seat in London. see, e.g. norn iron. being a safe seat MP, Abbott has not suffered much in her constituency for saying careless things. But once the limelight is on you, you cannot say anything that comes to your head about taxi drivers or palestine. you cannot lob vague accusations against amorphous entities, because those amorphous entities turn out to be made out of large numbers of people who will demand specifics.

ronya fucked around with this message at 12:19 on May 28, 2017

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Namtab posted:

That said though a lot of the right's comments about her are "is black" "is fat" & "slept with corbs" which is not ok.

Surprisingly, it turns out that regressives are indeed regressive.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Namtab posted:

To be fair, Dianne abbot isn't that good as a frontline politician, her prime benefit being only "can take premium position without undermining Labour leader".

Only registered members can see post attachments!

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Lord of the Llamas posted:

It really isn't.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Praseodymi posted:

On going to that particular school, yes.

E: it's on her wikipedia page for fucks sake.

She could have said no?

Lord of the Llamas posted:

It's not a realistic possibility.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

She's not exactly wrong though is she?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I know a fair few people at Hackney Council who work with Diane Abbot regularly and to a person say she's incompetent, conniving and deeply unpleasant to work with.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Namtab posted:

Is saying she's a gobshite OK?

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

She could have said no?

I think a child of that age deserves to have their autonomy respected, especially if the reason not to is "this won't look good for mum's job".

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

from the same battery of ComRes results:

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/868512679702429697

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Praseodymi posted:

I think a child of that age deserves to have their autonomy respected, especially if the reason not to is "this won't look good for mum's job".

Lets hope he didnt demand to cross a picket line or go to a BUPA hospital.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

waffle posted:

New scotland poll from SurveyMonkey (the comparison is against 2015):

https://twitter.com/NCPoliticsUK/status/868757769561800704

I wonder what happens in Scotland if some SNP votes go Tory? Is that enough for some Tory seats in Scotland, or will it help some Labour wins?

Just plugging into UK polling reports swingometer gives the tories 12 seats and in scotland and labour 2.

edit:

a pipe smoking dog fucked around with this message at 11:46 on May 28, 2017

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/868517880958201857

quote:

During the Troubles, the IRA murdered about 1,800 civilians and members of the security forces.

quote:

But the statistics, released on the order of the Government’s transparency watchdog, show that between December 2011 and February 2014, 2,380 people died after their Work Capability Assessment told them they should start looking for work.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3baneEpJls

UUUU

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

She's not exactly wrong though is she?

It's the kind of thing that you can say fine in this thread, but saying as an elected politician will piss voters off.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Maybe she should have sent her kid to one of those state schools in the Home Counties where the parents donate so much money to the PTA that it might as well be a private school anyway like a lot of the other MPs do.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Diane Abbott seems to have learned how to do politics from watching Armando Iannucci shows

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

namesake posted:

Okay but then balance that with 'Working together we will institute a new system which is based on our economic needs, balancing controls and existing entitlements.' and all the stuff they say about the Single Market. Yes it is quite similar to what the Tories said a while ago but when they were called out on it they went full hard Brexit, meanwhile when Labour have spoken about this they've stuck to stating technical facts like 'Immigration law will have to change when we leave the EU' but stress their priorities are economic stability and protecting people; it's not projecting anything to suggest that Labour is very, very open to soft Brexit.
"'Working together we will institute a new system which is based on our economic needs, balancing controls and existing entitlements" is a completely empty sentence that commits to absolutely nothing - any migration system that could possibly emerge could be described as being "based on our economic needs" and "balancing controls and existing entitlements." As mentioned before, all the stuff they say about the Single Market and "openness" to a soft Brexit is rendered moot by the commitment to ending freedom of movement: you can have one or the other, but not both.

Oh dear me posted:

But it does not have control over the EU's policy on free movement. 'Freedom of movement will end' for British citizens. I think this is very obviously phrased deliberately to avoid commitment (and postpone the need for shadow cabinet unanimity).
The EU's primary aims in dealing with Brexit are to protect the integrity of the single market and secure the rights of EU citizens currently living and working in the EU. If Britain is to retain the benefits of single market membership, both of these things require the UK to allow EU citizens unlimited rights to enter the UK, remain here for at least three months while seeking work, remain indefinitely if they can support themselves financially, acquire permanent residence rights after being here for five years, and not be discriminated against on the labour market. If the UK permits those things, it will not have ended free movement, and the manifesto statement that "freedom of movement will end" is false. If the UK does not permit those things, the manifesto's statement that "freedom of movement will end" is true but all the stuff about retaining single market benefits is a load of meaningless and undeliverable hot air. For the EU, this is much more about the rights of citizens of the EU27 - both those currently in the UK and those who may wish to work in the UK in future - than about British citizens.

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 11:55 on May 28, 2017

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Looks like the Tories may be doing enough to undo the damage of that dementia tax farce

https://twitter.com/election_data/status/868780090980749312

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Learn your history, she's right.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Diane Abbott seems to have learned how to do politics from watching Armando Iannucci shows

To be fair this is modern politics.txt

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Flaps I have some questions about your YouTube channel, mostly around why you have a channel dedicated to attacking Labour

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Namtab posted:

Learn your history, she's right.

I thought white people played dominos or trivial pursuit

I'll have to look in WHSmith or Toymaster for Divide and Rule

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Namtab posted:

Flaps I have some questions about your YouTube channel, mostly around why you have a channel dedicated to attacking Labour

I don't have a YouTube channel but I'm eager to see the one you're going to pretend is mine so lets have a link?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

I don't have a YouTube channel but I'm eager to see the one you're going to pretend is mine so lets have a link?

:colbert:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

I thought white people played dominos or trivial pursuit

I'll have to look in WHSmith or Toymaster for Divide and Rule

Is it hard for you to post in good faith?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

He really is the worst.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Not So Fast posted:

It's the kind of thing that you can say fine in this thread, but saying as an elected politician will piss voters off.

This is more a problem with political discourse than Diane Abbot.

Which doesn't absolve her of the need for a good Tuckering every time she goes near a camera, I just think "is terrible at interviews" is pretty lame criticism when there are other politicians you could describe as things like "is deranged ego-maniac obsessed with historical trivia" or "hates poor people on a very personal level".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

forkboy84 posted:

He really is the worst.

Good to hear people, like him, were sent there to uphold the peace.

• Locked thread