Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

lol at this riven run, dude is plowing thru puzzles at warp fuckin speed then near the end thru the run it comes to a screeching halt as there's an unskippable cutscene of some dude doing opera for a solid 30 seconds of a 7:30 run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

time for those post-gdq blues where i trawl through my game libraries to find something i wanna speedrun

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Kaubocks posted:

time for those post-gdq blues where i wait for a gamejam to come along to find something i wanna speedrun

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

Indecisive posted:

lol at this riven run, dude is plowing thru puzzles at warp fuckin speed then near the end thru the run it comes to a screeching halt as there's an unskippable cutscene of some dude doing opera for a solid 30 seconds of a 7:30 run

Watching the opera bit was actually a donation incentive.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Kaubocks posted:

time for those post-gdq blues where i trawl through my game libraries to find something i wanna speedrun

personally i'm trying to speedrun getting my sleep schedule back on track before i go back to work tuesday night

Timespy
Jul 6, 2013

No bond but to do just ones

ESA Winter 2020 starts in about a month, at least I've got that to look forward to.

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkeTT1HqOfg

Here's Badger's revenge run of the same seed he did at AGDQ, in case you want to see the run more or less as it was intended.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I watched about three hours of the GTA run at work and I really enjoyed the low-effort couch vibes. Like someone else said itt, it was like watching two people who can't help wind each other up do a road trip. Maybe it was more annoying at the start or something, idk.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

josh04 posted:

I watched about three hours of the GTA run at work and I really enjoyed the low-effort couch vibes. Like someone else said itt, it was like watching two people who can't help wind each other up do a road trip. Maybe it was more annoying at the start or something, idk.
I went to check it out based on you saying this. I was set on watching about 3 minutes as a vibe check, clicked at a random spot 3 hours in, and just 2 minutes later this happens:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/532240714?t=6h23m0s

So that was a neat coincidence.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Hah, subliminally influenced by speedrun commentary.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

AGDQ was a lot of fun
That's my review
Thank you

GeekTheMage
May 20, 2001

Rosalind posted:

I heard at least one "the g is silent" joke from his couch but yeah

Can't believe they renamed Tomatoangus but didn't change SeXReX to Sneksreks

Missed opportunity if you ask me

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

site posted:

he even had dioramas to explain things and it was still pretty wtf

Clearly not enough pants.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

GeekTheMage posted:

Can't believe they renamed Tomatoangus but didn't change SeXReX to Sneksreks

Missed opportunity if you ask me

Sockswrocks

Snackswracks

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think my favorite part of the FO anthology was covertmuffin trying not to lose it every time the pipboy came up (I had a similar reaction)

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I liked him using a cutscene to explain how the teleport planes work, with a model to illustrate. The pipe cleaner stick person in particular was great.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

where are the youtube vods i'm loving dyin over here

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Kaubocks posted:

Right? I always think about stuff I'd potentially wanna try running. I might make a quick post in the normal speedrunning thread and see if anyone else puts their thoughts in, too.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

kidcoelacanth posted:

Technical problems are causing a delay on GDQ's end, but some of the speedrunners have posted their runs to their own channels. I know Zallard posted the Punch-Out run, and Andy just posted the LttP Crowd Control Rando run.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Honest question but is this Andy guy okay?

I'm watching the LttP run and while it's funny seeing him try to deal with all the stuff hitting him I'm worried about the crowd possibly taking a toll on the poor guy. I'm a hour and a half in and the commentary is just 'wow andy you're a awful person and you suck, I'm glad this is hard for you and you're not doing well.'

I get playful ribbing and whatnot but man that would really wear on me. It's my first time watching one of his streams so maybe this is just normal for him but I'd leave feeling pretty bad if I was in his shoes :smith:

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Andy is the best at this game by a wide margin and he knows it. It's not so much ribbing as a kind of sarcasm.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

One of my donations got read and I had honestly meant to earnestly compliment him but they interpreted it (playfully) in a very backhanded way so yeah I think that’s just what they do.

I do think there was a nice payoff at the end though, after patty burnt him from the couch for three hours, Andy gets up and says “please follow patty on twitch, he needs the help more than I do”

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

It's playful banter. Andy clearly has a great sense of humor about it. I'm sure if he had an issue with it he'd bring it up with people.

Ainsley McTree posted:

One of my donations got read and I had honestly meant to earnestly compliment him but they interpreted it (playfully) in a very backhanded way so yeah I think that’s just what they do.

I do think there was a nice payoff at the end though, after patty burnt him from the couch for three hours, Andy gets up and says “please follow patty on twitch, he needs the help more than I do”

:lol: That was such a great reply. You can tell these guys are bros.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Honest question but is this Andy guy okay?

I'm watching the LttP run and while it's funny seeing him try to deal with all the stuff hitting him I'm worried about the crowd possibly taking a toll on the poor guy. I'm a hour and a half in and the commentary is just 'wow andy you're a awful person and you suck, I'm glad this is hard for you and you're not doing well.'

I get playful ribbing and whatnot but man that would really wear on me. It's my first time watching one of his streams so maybe this is just normal for him but I'd leave feeling pretty bad if I was in his shoes :smith:

Andy is fine. He's good friends with everybody on his couch and it's very much expected that Patty especially would make fun of him the whole run. Andy is extremely good at LttP and runs Crowd Control regularly on his own stream (which gets only very slightly less crazy than the GDQ run), so there wasn't anything really unexpected there. He also runs Nightmare Mode randomizer regularly, which is a hellscape of randomization which usually takes him like 8 or 9 hours to beat. Note that Andy himself was cracking up with laughter throughout the run.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So I tragically missed all of AGDQ this year. What are the top-tier runs? I'm probably going to at least peek at Myst/Riven/Exile, Fallout, Amid Evil, the TASBot block, LTTP Crowd Control, SM Impossible, and maybe OoT just because I've never seen 100% NSR run before. I also definitely need to check out Luna Nights RBO, since I just finished that game over the holidays. But are there any standouts I'm missing?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Since there's a lot of people asking and official channel has yet to get VODs on YouTube, here's my recs again:

quote:

GHreetings from Agdq202/GERMANY

- Star Wars - Escape from Yavin for some Covertmuffin
- Myst block - fast and fun
- ActRaiser - tight race with good commentary
- Fallout Anthology - TomatoAngus (the G is silent) keeps it wildly entertaining for the whole time that loving
RadAway almost killed me
- Hebereke - The Perfect GDQ Run
- Punch-Out!! - 2 people, 1 controller, blindfolded, it's like magic
- Terraria - when everything goes wrong but a pure spirit saves the day, the comfy, feel-good run of the event so far
- Everything from the Awful block was good. Highlights: Animorphs, Hoshi wo miru hito,
Sword of the Black Stone, Wild animal sports day
- Doctor Hauzer - Perfect 3D0 showcase game
- Fatal Frame - maxylobes with a real comfy couch, commentary and puns for donations, a real feel-good run (despite being
a horror game)
- Final Fantasy VI - everyone is secretly Terra
- Subnautica - No need to fear the oceans anymore after you see this
- Darkened Skye - A Skittles tie-in??
- Celeste - wizardry in motion
- Mega Man X race - a real tight race with nice tricks too
- SMW one mind - Only fault was that there wasn't more of it
- Blasphemous - Requiem aeternam
- Clone Hero - a showcase that transcends gaming skills
- LttP Randomizer crowd control - This from someone who normally hates watching rando - this was very entertaining throughout
- Mario Maker 2 race

Top 3: Terraria for comfy, wholesome feels and "when everything goes wrong", Punch-Out for gaming wizardry and execution, Fallout Anthology for good times throughout the run

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Double blind punch out and Mario Maker 2 race are can’t-miss runs

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The two player blindfolded run of Mike Tyson boxing game is one to watch for the sheer spectacle.

Terraria fell to pieces but the runner himself responded in such a great way it's a very personal victory story.

All of awful block was the kind of fun bad games you'd expect.

Everything I caught this year was pretty great except for FF8 which, politics aside, I just found boring to watch.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I know the dude is a chud but I rewatched the bullet hell run and it it still insane and just staggering to see that game 1cced

The Splash
May 30, 2011

I'll never say hole again.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

we need IT'S A JOKE
I'm finally getting to watch the Super Hydlide run right now and this made me laugh so hard it hurt

E: full size as well because this is still hilarious

The Splash fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 13, 2020

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The Splash posted:

I'm finally getting to watch the Super Hydlide run right now and this made me laugh so hard it hurt

E: full size as well because this is still hilarious

This is cool and good and you are extremely cool and good and also very powerful :allears:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I played through all of control like 2 weeks ago but this vod is making me want to replay it already. What a cool game that was

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Just watched the Dark Souls run, can also add that to the recommended list, very smooth gameplay and the couch guy explains every trick very well.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Is there anywhere to watch the full streams that isn't on Twitch? My work blocks Twitch and I'm dying to catch up and they're taking a while to upload VODs.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

Is there anywhere to watch the full streams that isn't on Twitch? My work blocks Twitch and I'm dying to catch up and they're taking a while to upload VODs.

If you can't wait for the official GDQ uploads, check the Youtube channels of the individual runners. Some of them upload their runs to their own channels quicker than GDQ gets them up.

The Splash
May 30, 2011

I'll never say hole again.

D. Ebdrup posted:

This is cool and good and you are extremely cool and good and also very powerful :allears:
Gosh, I'm just happy to get to contribute

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

TeaJay posted:

Just watched the Dark Souls run, can also add that to the recommended list, very smooth gameplay and the couch guy explains every trick very well.

Seconded, and also for the catharsis of seeing someone go from the very beginning of the game to dunking on Ornstein and Smough within like 15 minutes.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

kidcoelacanth posted:

remember the years when youtube vids showed up months after the event because UraniumAnchor had to fart around with some extremely old and slow video storage hardware :corsair:

e: Also, I always enjoy seeing Monkey Ball at GDQ and the run at this event was no different. It's especially a good run to show to people who aren't familiar with speedrunning: it's an intuitive game to understand, and the tricks are very obviously impressive and outside-the-box from how the game appears to want you to play it.

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 13, 2020

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

If you're going through AGDQ withdrawal, the GDQ twitch channel is currently doing a "bonus stream" featuring backup runs that didn't make the lineup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I tried watching the Fatal Frame run. The runner says multiple times during the first few minutes of the run that the term "camera obscura" is defined as a film camera that can see ghosts. It might be a good run but I just can't take someone seriously who says something that is that drat stupid.