Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Arrrthritis posted:

If this is the case, I would hope that Ishgard fights Bismarck for no other reason than it being a Lunar Whale.

That being said, this all sounds very rad and I hope it's what happens.

I think that it has to be Thordan, Lunar Whale is a fun idea and all, but you're gonna be questing with Aymeric and dealing with Ishgard's history/future. It kind of has to be rear end in a top hat Pope Dad return.

Cleretic posted:

I like the Lunar Primal splitup, but I don't think it'd come out like that, because there's a few of those that couldn't be summoned like that, having an even weaker situation than Lunar Odin. Tsukuyomi and Shinryu don't actually have local worshippers, after all.

The ones I'd allocate for that would probably be...

Limsa=Leviathan
Ishgard=Bismarck (hence why magic DPS; they need to hit from range)
Doma=Susano (also no direct worshippers, but at least has a following)
Ala Mhigo=Lakshmi
Gridania=ODIN, GOD DAMNIT

Leviathan, Garuda (because Ixal abducted but nothing came of it), Tsukuyomi is what Yotsuyu gets because she's Doman and it's a Doman goddess people still believe in, Thordan is still a huge religious figure in Ishgard.

Also narratively they're the ones that make the most sense, Tsukuyomi works for following up on Hien's leadership and nation, Thordan is basically the sins of Ishgard's history, Garuda and Leviathan are ancient enemies of Gridania and Limsa, Shinryu is an outlier and it could be Lakshmi but also we're hanging out with Raubahn, so dealing with his blood-brother's gently caress up makes sense.

They in fact explicitly state that Yotsuyu would have been told the myths of Tsukuyomi as part of growing up in Doma at least once.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Dec 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Speaking of, my current theory is that we're gonna be hunting down Lunar Primals. In which case Gridania = Garuda (Lunaruda if you will), Limsa = Leviathan (what a storm), Doma = Tsukuyomi (which when you think about it is kind of just a double moon goddess), Ishgard = Thordan and Ala Mihgo = Shinryu.

I hope this is true - after just fighting recreations of a bunch of primals in Eden and again in the MSQ I'd rather they were relegated to role quests rather than dominate the story/trials/raids again.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Zoig posted:

I gotta say, the fact that both trials are not listed in the patch notes has me incredibly suspicious.

Given that they already revealed Anima ages ago and they were pretty upfront about revealing stuff they'd already discussed, I guess this means it won't be Anima.

stev posted:

I hope this is true - after just fighting recreations of a bunch of primals in Eden and again in the MSQ I'd rather they were relegated to role quests rather than dominate the story/trials/raids again.

I think it'd be kinda fun if they were rare fates or something, little world-boss style things like Odin or the Coerul Regina but maybe not so ungodly rare.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

we're gonna kill hydaelyn and zodiark, of course.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Meeko posted:

we're gonna kill hydaelyn and zodiark, of course.

In the extreme fight they'll merge

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

God no, please, can we not do Primal rematches again. I'm hoping the Lunar primals are super minimized, because I'm sick of fighting the same 6 bosses over and over

Particularly egregious shout out to 5.5, where we get Lunar Ifrit and Diamond Ifrit

i know it was a few pages back but wth are you guys smoking in regards to Diamond- that fight is a fuckin mess. the only interesting mechanics are the platform swaps and the AOEs that chase you. the amount of forced downtime (and worse than that- STOP AND START forced downtime) is a fuckin sin. throw that fight in the bin.

For reference, out of the ShB EXs:

SoS > Varis > Titania > Hades (would be higher if not for how loving long the multiple phase changes are)>>>> ruby >>>>>>>>emerald >>>>>>>>>>>> diamond

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

To be fair, I was trying to find Primals we haven't fought multiple times. It's just a bit hard to do that for Limsa and Gridania because the local primals are very often reused. I guess Gridania could have Lunar Moggle Mogg. No idea for Limsa though.

I actually really like Ruby Weapon in both versions, Emerald Weapon too. Diamond is just a massive let-down in terms of fight design (even if the fight itself can be fun to do and the cutscene afterwards is extremely good).

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Given that they already revealed Anima ages ago and they were pretty upfront about revealing stuff they'd already discussed, I guess this means it won't be Anima.

Its especially weird because anima does show up in the trailer for a decent bit of time, so either anima is actually a dungeon boss, or theres no way to get a good still shot of anima without something in the background being a large spoiler people would easily notice. And considering I was able to make a correlation to where one of the release trailer cutscenes happens due to some loving background smoke, I do understand the extreme caution

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
maybe didn't want to give away the name of where you fight anima given where it seems to be

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

castrum finalis fantasis

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

duties for all the nation leaders would be neat

now add them all to trusts

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
buddy they can't even add estinien to shadowbringers trusts

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Super No Vacancy posted:

duties for all the nation leaders would be neat

now add them all to trusts
Kan-e would need a new mobility charm of some kind, since while her healing magic maps pretty well to WHM her established combat style is 100% vicious, crippling melee.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Hogama posted:

buddy they can't even add estinien to shadowbringers trusts

that's because he wasnt on the first!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Super No Vacancy posted:

that's because he wasnt on the first!

You can use Ryne for the last 2 dungeons tho can't you (past the initial time) and those aren't on the first!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Bringing back Tsukuyomi would suck, both because of the how she'd be summoned again (and if she didn't have an entirely new design I'd riot), but also because the fight against her was very conclusive. It'd be like bringing Shiva back, it just feels wrong.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Eimi posted:

Bringing back Tsukuyomi would suck, both because of the how she'd be summoned again (and if she didn't have an entirely new design I'd riot), but also because the fight against her was very conclusive. It'd be like bringing Shiva back, it just feels wrong.
It would suck if she's just a primal but they could probably do an actual story beat where it's like not just Lunar Tsukuyomi but Pissed Off Grudge Ghost Tsukuyomi. Yotsuyu of all people would have specific reason to give you post-mortem assistance because your enemies are now the two people at the absolute top of her poo poo-list, well beyond you, the Warrior of Light, who ultimately really didn't do anything to her other than facilitate her very inventive form of self-destruction.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Nessus posted:

It would suck if she's just a primal but they could probably do an actual story beat where it's like not just Lunar Tsukuyomi but Pissed Off Grudge Ghost Tsukuyomi. Yotsuyu of all people would have specific reason to give you post-mortem assistance because your enemies are now the two people at the absolute top of her poo poo-list, well beyond you, the Warrior of Light, who ultimately really didn't do anything to her other than facilitate her very inventive form of self-destruction.

:eyepop: Okay if that happens it'd be awesome. And doesn't need a rematch against her.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Eimi posted:

:eyepop: Okay if that happens it'd be awesome. And doesn't need a rematch against her.
It's a role quest so I doubt there'd be a full Trial... might be a solo duty where we have to beat the evil mitama (I forget which one it was) off of her or something. But this is all fan-casting, it might well just be Susano.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
them not backporting estinien likely has less to do with canon (you can use g'raha in old dungeons) and more with how every trust partner has to have a script programmed for each individual dungeon

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

An entire Merlwyb questchain... it's like all my Namedays have come at once!

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

happy to party down in ishgard as caster tbh

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
Primals do have a specific soul-analog within the lifestream, so the emotional horrors of Lunar Tsukuyomi or Lunar Shiva aren't off the table.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Vitamean posted:

happy to party down in ishgard as caster tbh

Yuuuup. I'm all here for Aymeric senpai

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

them not backporting estinien likely has less to do with canon (you can use g'raha in old dungeons) and more with how every trust partner has to have a script programmed for each individual dungeon

Oh yeah, this is 100% it. I completely forgot about that aspect.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It will be weird if Yotsuyu doesn't come up at all in the fight against her lovely possessed brother and her literal walking nightmare so I wouldn't mind some way of her getting one punch on on Zenos

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Oh yeah, this is 100% it. I completely forgot about that aspect.

yeah it's probably also why if we see more trusts added in EW it'll probably be one-offs and not people you can bring to every dungeon and level.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Ironslave posted:

Primals do have a specific soul-analog within the lifestream, so the emotional horrors of Lunar Tsukuyomi or Lunar Shiva aren't off the table.

No they don't.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ImpAtom posted:

It will be weird if Yotsuyu doesn't come up at all in the fight against her lovely possessed brother and her literal walking nightmare so I wouldn't mind some way of her getting one punch on on Zenos

I mean Fandaniel is Asahi the same way a hollowed out log with a family of possums living inside it is still a majestic flourishing oak

My bet is she doesn't come up at all

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Yeah, they do. It's part of the whole way the Weapons worked; by consuming and imprisoning the primal, they prevent that primal from being resummoned and they are directly described as having some intrinsic element that is summoned from and returns to the lifestream upon their dissolution.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Yeah it’s old ARR or HW lore but it was firmly established that if, hypothetically, the amalj’aa back home were to summon benevolent sun-god ifrit, angry war-god ifrit wouldn’t manifest

My current speculation on WHY is something to do with the idea of a concept matrix and that all the original ancient versions of the primals are stored somewhere in the moon archives.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 1, 2021

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Ironslave posted:

Yeah, they do. It's part of the whole way the Weapons worked; by consuming and imprisoning the primal, they prevent that primal from being resummoned and they are directly described as having some intrinsic element that is summoned from and returns to the lifestream upon their dissolution.

Doesn't this have to do less with any specific unique identity the Primal has, and more that the collective or individual that summoned and and is attuned to it is essentially having their summoning spell held hostage?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Mister Olympus posted:

Yeah it’s old ARR or HW lore but it was firmly established that if, hypothetically, the amalj’aa back home were to summon benevolent sun-god ifrit, angry war-god ifrit wouldn’t manifest

The opposite actually.

You can summon beach hippy Ifrit if flame war god Ifrit is around.

Chillgamesh posted:

Doesn't this have to do less with any specific unique identity the Primal has, and more that the collective or individual that summoned and and is attuned to it is essentially having their summoning spell held hostage?

Yes.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/291216

quote:

KF: Yes. <thinks> … Yes! But as I mentioned with the Phoenix, depending on the culture, there’s a different perception of what it was. Was it a god? Was it a savior? Was it evil? Let’s use Ifrit as an example, though I’m not saying this is really the case with him. The Amalj’aa look at him as an angry god that wants to purify the land with his flames. When they summon him, they pray to that type of Ifrit, and it forms. Say, in the New World, thousands of miles away, there is also the legend of Ifrit, but in the thousands of years since that original seed of myth, he’s grown into a very benevolent god that… <laughs> gives flowers to children and is the fire that roasts your marshmallows… that’s a different essence, even though it’s the same Ifrit. Those two could exist simultaneously. But if Amalj’aa summon one Ifrit and some other Amalj’aa who worship the same Ifrit try to do the same thing, they could not.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
In which case a hypothetical Lunar Shiva or Lunar Tsukiyomi would have nothing to do with their previous hosts and would be their own thing entirely

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Chillgamesh posted:

No. Primals are malleable, they are shaped by the nature of their summoning, but they're not just that. They're more than coalesced aether in the shape their worshipers believed, they have a core element to what they are, but the game's not really gone deeply into what this means or why since it was introduced. The Emet-Selch Tales from the Shadows also displays this in that it shows us what may be the first instance of Phoenix accidentally being summoned by Lahabrea, and it's noted as being different specifically because it has a soul or something like one.

If screamy Ga Bu Titan gets slacked in chains and buried somewhere, Titan--in any form--can no longer be summoned.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Ironslave posted:

If screamy Ga Bu Titan gets slacked in chains and buried somewhere, Titan--in any form--can no longer be summoned.

This is directly refuted by Koji Fox in the link I posted. That specific image of Titan is locked up, but any other interpretation is good to go.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Ironslave posted:

No. Primals are malleable, they are shaped by the nature of their summoning, but they're not just that. They're more than coalesced aether in the shape their worshipers believed, they have a core element to what they are, but the game's not really gone deeply into what this means or why since it was introduced. The Emet-Selch Tales from the Shadows also displays this in that it shows us what may be the first instance of Phoenix accidentally being summoned by Lahabrea, and it's noted as being different specifically because it has a soul or something like one.

That's not what that Koji Fox interview says

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Also I just hope we get to see Pilgrim Gosetsu for a bit in the ranged DPS role quest :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The opposite actually.

You can summon beach hippy Ifrit if flame war god Ifrit is around.

Yes.
Based on the manifestation of our rightful liege-lord, long may he reign, I would imagine the amaljaa or whoever trying to summon Happy Beach Ifrit would just create a new guy out of whole cloth and their hopes and dreams. It is kind of murky, though of course it is suggestive that we will be fighting the Twelve in some form in Lahabrea's Big Raid Series...