Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mr Interweb posted:

https://twitter.com/jbouie/status/1215337155255554051

the man sam harris stated as the most oppressed intellectual in his lifetime is about to come out with yet another book about how black people are stupid or inferior in some way

Let’s see that flap copy:

quote:

The thesis of Human Diversity is that advances in genetics and neuroscience are overthrowing an intellectual orthodoxy that has ruled the social sciences for decades. The core of the orthodoxy consists of three dogmas:

- Gender is a social construct.

- Race is a social construct.

- Class is a function of privilege.

The problem is that all three dogmas are half-truths. They have stifled progress in understanding the rich texture that biology adds to our understanding of the social, political, and economic worlds we live in.

It’s all bullshit of course, but the bold part seems like a swap of consequent and antecedent, even under his bootlicker logic. How can privilege be the cause of something that functions as the source of privilege?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists
step one: decide that hierarchy is good

step two: "now how do I make it look like I'm and not just a gently caress-you-got-mine scumbag"

step three: separate "class," the thing you like, from "privilege," which has baked in negative connotations

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists
it's the same thing as pivoting from "racial superiority" to "race realism" to "human diversity," or saying "I'm not transphobic, I'm gender critical." it's a weaksauce language trick

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

clearly point out that the only reason right wingers are ever against war is because they're furious that we're doing ethnic cleansing for other countries when we could have an ethnic cleansing right here at home

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
their basic problem is that even if they really are against war, or at least believe they're acting according to a coherent ideological agenda, "america first" and "gently caress muslims" as a credo is necessarily going to lead to war since if the foreigners are such a threat then why shouldn't we drop bombs on them? we're an imperialist power and being "first" depends on it, dickweeds! in a weird way the alt-right mirrors centrist liberalism where they say "we know X is bad but"

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/NYCAntifa/status/1215344173475418112?s=19
https://twitter.com/NYCAntifa/status/1215345102266228738?s=19

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Why do they all look like that?

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

KozmoNaut posted:

A number of people in the tech community still stan Damore pretty hard, especially on sites like Hacker News, where you can be sure he'll be brought up as some kind of martyr, in any vaguely related discussion.

Given how many users on that site are SV lanyards, I guess it's not too surprising.

Yeah part of that has to do with him being deplatformed by the right (like sandmann) very quickly. The idea or Sandmann and Damore are way, way, way more appealing than the reality of them obviously being moron charisma holes. They become content for the grifters, but can't make the jump to grifters themselves.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Let’s see that flap copy:

It’s all bullshit of course, but the bold part seems like a swap of consequent and antecedent, even under his bootlicker logic. How can privilege be the cause of something that functions as the source of privilege?

It's real easy if the only research you do is sitting naked on your back porch, doing whippets while you slowly torture and kill a neighborhood cat.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

A number of people in the tech community still stan Damore pretty hard, especially on sites like Hacker News, where you can be sure he'll be brought up as some kind of martyr, in any vaguely related discussion.

Given how many users on that site are SV lanyards, I guess it's not too surprising.

not surprising, honestly

even at the time the whole fiasco happened, there was a poll of google employees that said 30-40% of them agreed with damore

i mean, silicon valley IS filled with libertarians so this shouldn't be news

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Mr Interweb posted:

not surprising, honestly

even at the time the whole fiasco happened, there was a poll of google employees that said 30-40% of them agreed with damore

i mean, silicon valley IS filled with libertarians so this shouldn't be news

it still cracks me up that he had an actual legitimate complaint but was too libertarian to realize what it was

guy had a genuine hostile work environment argument he could have pushed, but as a techbro dipshit he couldn't recognize the solution to a hostile work environment wasn't a "dae think women are fundamentally inferior to men" screed

leaving an internal discussion space unmoderated is REALLY loving STUPID YOU GUYS

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
my favorite part was how he thought having discussions about the biological limitations of each sex would help create a better workplace, despite the fact that the general trends of the sexual traits he was describing were meaningless given how google employees are screened for competency in their given roles

like what was the plan? "sorry programmer lady im better at math so now you have to use all your emotions in a customer facing role"

like een assuming the stuff he as saying was true, his arguments apply to Men and Women, not Men and Women Who Work at Google

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

it still cracks me up that he had an actual legitimate complaint but was too libertarian to realize what it was

guy had a genuine hostile work environment argument he could have pushed, but as a techbro dipshit he couldn't recognize the solution to a hostile work environment wasn't a "dae think women are fundamentally inferior to men" screed

leaving an internal discussion space unmoderated is REALLY loving STUPID YOU GUYS

eventually google started quietly firing off the some of the most outspoken/eccentric employees so he ended up getting what he wanted out of his lawsuit which was to punish his coworkers for having the wrong politics

plus I'm sure a bunch of people internally who had the same grievances used that as an excuse to push for nebulous "change" and dudes who are mad about gender 100% of the time have nothing going on in their lives so they have more time to complain than a becky asking for a manager

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

he tried to sue google for wrongful termination, and was shocked when he found out that the big bad government sided with the faultless corporation :lol:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

SpaceGoku posted:

eventually google started quietly firing off the some of the most outspoken/eccentric employees so he ended up getting what he wanted out of his lawsuit which was to punish his coworkers for having the wrong politics\

weren't those unrelated firings though? like the people who started making a stink about google's lovely labor policies?

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

leaving ANY discussion space unmoderated is really loving stupid

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

cumshitter posted:

my favorite part was how he thought having discussions about the biological limitations of each sex would help create a better workplace, despite the fact that the general trends of the sexual traits he was describing were meaningless given how google employees are screened for competency in their given roles

like what was the plan? "sorry programmer lady im better at math so now you have to use all your emotions in a customer facing role"

like een assuming the stuff he as saying was true, his arguments apply to Men and Women, not Men and Women Who Work at Google

i could be wrong but i think his :biotruths: schtick was supposed to be an argument that tech being a sausagefest is fine and workplace diversity initiatives are oppressive cultural marxism

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

i could be wrong but i think his :biotruths: schtick was supposed to be an argument that tech being a sausagefest is fine and workplace diversity initiatives are oppressive cultural marxism

i think both what you said and what cumshitter said are related

not only is there nothing wrong with men dominating the tech industry, but women should listen to their biology and go into fields that their vaginas tell them to

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Worth noting that when my mom got a CS degree in 85 her class was like 70% women

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

Worth noting that when my mom got a CS degree in 85 her class was like 70% women

that's cause back in those days, "computer engineer/programmer" meant receptionists that worked at tech companies

actual argument i heard

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

Why do they all look like that?

greasy and bloated? can't imagine

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

After 12 years in tech, I kinda hate it. The company I work at isn't too bad, I've got some great colleagues, but it's just so aggressively bleh to computer touch all day, to some nebulous metrics that are never going to make any difference to real people.

I want to do something real that has an actual benefit in the real world, like take care of a forest or something.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
That’s why you become a ceo and make money

So you can save the world by planting one tree at a time with the casualness of dropping dmt in a yurt on the playa

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

dr_rat posted:

You either die a hero, or live long enough to become sort of middle of the road poo poo and people start to forget why they liked you in the first place?

imho the best thing he did was making The Ricky Gervais Show entirely devoted to interviewing Karl Pilkington. Nobody gives a poo poo what Gervais thinks, even on his own drat show he was eventually demoted to cackling antagonist. I have bought 3 books by Karl Pilkington and 0 by Ricky Gervais, and I stand by those decisions.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

StashAugustine posted:

I think that's been noted elsewhere: CS looked like it was heading to more even representation then whiplashed back to being worse than ever. When I look in the computer labs at the college here, it's about 85% male.

Re Damore: it's almost funny how he perceived an injustice and tried to solve it like an engineer: write a long screed, send it to everyone and expect them to be instantly convinced by a plan where men do the programming, written get to be nurturing. No soft skills, no reference to anything but ”logic" and ""efficiency".

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The UK basically killed its nascent tech industry in the 60s and 70s because the workers who stood to gain from it were women.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Mr Interweb posted:

weren't those unrelated firings though? like the people who started making a stink about google's lovely labor policies?

"""unrelated"""

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Have you seen the new Proud Boy propaganda

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

Have you seen the new Proud Boy propaganda

This could go a lot of different ways

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
https://mobile.twitter.com/revrrlewis/status/1215703915095908352
vultures are comrades

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I think I remember that quest from the first Borderlands.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

antifa witches are more powerful than we thought

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

The revolution will look like Ewoks fighting the empire.

not with sticks and stones but piss and poo poo

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/GoadGatsby/status/1215618551131922432?s=19

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

A two-man organization named triforce? And they say leftists split all the time.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

stage a coo

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

A two-man organization named triforce? And they say leftists split all the time.

hi I’m bam margera and welcome to jackass

we’ve released two nazis into Phil’s house numbered 1 and 3. he’s never gonna find number twooooo

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

that dude had terrible timing, lol. he comes out and says "maybe we should have more right wingers in tech" and then a day or two later the march in charlottesville happened. grift career derailed

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Doesn’t help that he looks like Romeo Rose

Automated Posting
Jan 12, 2013

I feel the need to to take a moment and bring attention to

Algund Eenboom posted:

a for-profit immigrant detention center

Because, well. I knew we had for-profit prisons, and I knew we had concentration camps for immigrants, but it never occurred to me that we probably had privately owned, for-profit concentration camps for immigrants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I mean when we get death camps for libs they’ll totally be private sector