Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
As previously hinted/leaked, Shadow Warrior 3 will be on Xbox Game Pass on Feb 16.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

haveblue posted:

*once you installed GLQuake and re-vised the maps. Software 1996 Quake had opaque liquids
Wait what's this? If you extract the bsps from Quake 1.06 and re-run (presumably a later build of) vis on them, the maps are different?

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Wait what's this? If you extract the bsps from Quake 1.06 and re-run (presumably a later build of) vis on them, the maps are different?

https://github.com/sezero/vispatch

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Interesting. So when did water get added to vis then?

Quake is such a weird game. It always felt like a string of tech demos more than actual game to me, although I realize that's very reductive. Back when it was released my 486 SX2 couldn't play it, but I had opportunities to try the shareware DOS version here and there. Then came WinQuake, GLQuake (which is where I finally got in), (GL)QuakeWorld, and I guess vQuake. Also I recall that while GLQuake used standard OpenGL fixed-function models it looked quite different across card manufacturers too. So people's experience with Quake even during its contemporary-release era was really variable depending on exactly when and on what hardware they got into it.

Compare to say, DOOM, for which vanilla DOS DOOM was the standard for years before hardware-accelerated source ports, and (or Chocolate, I guess) remains the standard for which things are compared against. And the Voodoo2 presentation of Quake II always felt canonical to me (even though I didn't own a Voodoo2).

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Now it's amusing, as you can do it in real time with raytracing (and with better results).

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I recently noticed that the intermission screen map from Doom episode 3 seems to be a composite of a bunch of different landscape and other environment photographs. It doesn't appear to be drawn like the others are (except for the level objects like the skull and castles and such). Is that right?

If so, what are the sources for them? Were they in that MediaClips CD too? I search and find a lot of chat about the origins of all the other textures and sprite work, but can't seem to find anything on this. The Wiki says the other intermission screens are drawn by Adrian Carmack, but doesn't say anything about this one.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Is there a Doom 2 mod that adds fan made intermission maps?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Woolie Wool posted:

E2M8 apparently has 700+ monsters on Easy and 1155 on Hard. Quake slaughter? :stonklol:

I'm more alarmed by this secret count tbh

60??

And there's a twelve part super secret I have discovered, buddy come on now

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Over in the Doom thread I've posted a write up for a new community mapping project. It's based around using prefabricated templates to create a coherent Doom experience.

Head on over to https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3894926&pagenumber=167&perpage=40&userid=0#post529650996 and check it out. If you think you might be interested check out the Discord server I set up.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
looks kinda neat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr9M9LqdjWU

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Also I recall that while GLQuake used standard OpenGL fixed-function models it looked quite different across card manufacturers too. So people's experience with Quake even during its contemporary-release era was really variable depending on exactly when and on what hardware they got into it.

A lot of that ended up being due to different levels of support between cards - some chips forced cruddy dithering in 16-bit color modes, some flat-out choked due to memory bandwidth limitations or small framebuffer sizes (which is where r_picmip and other detail reduction schemes came into play), and cards without multitexturing generally took a dump when dynamic lights started flying around, so gl_flashblend (which replaced those dynamic lights with a shaded spheroid around the light emitters) was invaluable. GLQuake was pretty cool, but reading the documentation was important for getting good performance or setting resolutions besides 640x480, since you couldn’t do that within the game. It bears mentioning that GLQuake didn’t bother implementing overbrights because they’d incur a performance penalty on every card available in 1997. That’s why it tends to look washed out versus software Quake.

And yeah, 3Dfx cards had such a characteristic look to their output. The Banshee, Voodoo3, and VSA-100 cards’ effective 22-bit color quality output optionally put the kibosh on that, but I usually left the defaults in place because it looked so right. Plus that 22-bit business tended to make transparencies turn green…

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Interesting. So when did water get added to vis then?

Let's see...

GLQuake I think was near the end of January '97.

I found a BluesNews reference in April 4 '97 to a "transparent water utility" for patching the existing maps: https://web.archive.org/web/19970606234721/http://www.allgames.com/quake/

Not sure when the transparent water option got added to the compile tools but it must have been around the GLQuake release. Some of the sexy promo screenshots for GLQuake were showing the transparent water effect.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Quake straddled the pc transition from 2d to 3d, and was probably the first thing everyone tried when they bought a 3d accelerator. And having a separate 3d card that connected to your 2d graphics card was a very odd system now that I think about it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

haveblue posted:

*once you installed GLQuake and re-vised the maps. Software 1996 Quake had opaque liquids

You're absolutely right, I had completely forgotten about that.

Still, I remember trying my hand at (very briefly) making a Quake map, and being in awe of the fact that I didn't need to loving teleport the player away in order to have them swim. Just place down a big ol' block of water that extends beyond your swimming area, and boom.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ponzicar posted:

And having a separate 3d card that connected to your 2d graphics card was a very odd system now that I think about it.
Are professional grade GPUs still a thing? This was a weird concept, and didn't work for professional applications where you might need to run an OpenGL context in a window, or more than one context.

The Voodoo was a funny chipset. 3dfx took the bet on RAM speeds getting faster and prices dropping in order to build cards that could raster pixels as fast as possible and do nothing else, and the Voodoo2 was basically the same thing. But it was a strategy that worked, at least for a few years.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Are professional grade GPUs still a thing? This was a weird concept, and didn't work for professional applications where you might need to run an OpenGL context in a window, or more than one context.

Yes. They don't really perform better than gamer GPUs at this point, but they come with much more VRAM, way better drivers meant for working with 3D content creation software, and features most gamers wouldn't use like a large number of video outputs

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yep I have one in my work machine, it's great for rendering.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Is there a Doom 2 mod that adds fan made intermission maps?

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/129057-doom-2-intermission-maps-complete/

If you don't want to play through the maps to check them out, use "special exit_normal 0" in the console to end the map with the intermission

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Professional 3D cards are absolutely still a thing, but dedicated 3D in the sense of being a graphics card that could only effectively render to fullscreen, no. There was at least one attempt at creating a solution for windowed rendering from Voodoo1 and Voodoo2 cards called WinGlide. I think it involved pumping finished frames over the PCI bus to the host video with some other trickery, but that was buggy and eventually abandoned. PowerVR’s early PCX cards were also dedicated 3D, but worked without a passthrough cable by overtaking the 2D signal over the PCI bus. To my knowledge they never rendered to a window, and were both limited and fairly slow.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
IIRC if you didn’t run the vis utility on the Quake maps some of the water would still look correct when you enabled transparency, but most of them would show a HOM effect. I seem to remember running into that the hard way one of the times I revisited Quake several years past it’s prime but before the retro resurgence (when it was just “old” and not “retro”).

david_a fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 8, 2023

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I assume the maps in the Quake Remaster have already been fixed up, no?

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I assume the maps in the Quake Remaster have already been fixed up, no?

I'm not super sure if we re-vis'd the maps or just didn't use vis at all and thus weren't affected by the problem.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I think the Quake Remaster just kinda ignores vis data and renders the whole map no matter what, because modern systems can just kind of grunt through that when they're not the Arcane Dimensions monstrosities.

Just announced for Switch and scheduled for release today: Metroid Prime Remastered. No, it's not the trilogy, it's just the first game. New features include the choice between modern dual-stick FPS controls or the original control scheme, and... not much else, really. I assume they'll kill a lot of the sequence breaks like Trilogy did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML810FkoIWw

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Having just played MP1 a few weeks ago and seeing that trailer they definitely redid just about every texture and 3D model. The remaster looks stunning. In the opening shot for the original you can actually see where the corners intersect of the skybox and the PNG of space pasted over it. This one actually looks like a real 3D space.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've never even seen Software Quake, is there video of what this looks like?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

In Training posted:

I've never even seen Software Quake, is there video of what this looks like?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyLC1vR9oGk

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Quake was the original Brown Game, the mid 2000s had nothing on it.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It had purple too.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Quake has a variety of colours, all specifically chosen to blend well with brown.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
If it ain't brown, we ain't down.

As for games with actual color I had the great idea to do another run of Amid Evil on the hardest difficulty. Then I remembered how much I hated the trippy dimension.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

I remember the first time I fired up qtest on my 486 DX2/66, it ran so slow.

But the shadows were so smooth. :swoon:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This looks so tight.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I can't even imagine how fuckin incredible it must have been for the 90s PC gamers. Could you imagine, for instance, your freshman year of high school is 1994. Doom II. by 96 your gibbing freaks on Quake, Half Life 1 when you graduate in 98 and then spending all 4 years of college getting drunk at Quake 3 lans. Good lord. We need to go back.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

In Training posted:

I can't even imagine how fuckin incredible it must have been for the 90s PC gamers. Could you imagine, for instance, your freshman year of high school is 1994. Doom II. by 96 your gibbing freaks on Quake, Half Life 1 when you graduate in 98 and then spending all 4 years of college getting drunk at Quake 3 lans. Good lord. We need to go back.
It was a rate of technological advancment that we'll likely never see again. Which, given how expensive all those computer upgrades were, might be for the best.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Kins posted:

I think the Quake Remaster just kinda ignores vis data and renders the whole map no matter what, because modern systems can just kind of grunt through that when they're not the Arcane Dimensions monstrosities.

Just announced for Switch and scheduled for release today: Metroid Prime Remastered. No, it's not the trilogy, it's just the first game. New features include the choice between modern dual-stick FPS controls or the original control scheme, and... not much else, really. I assume they'll kill a lot of the sequence breaks like Trilogy did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML810FkoIWw

Yeah I figured they’d be doing less than what you get with PrimeHack. Nintendo’s rereleases/remasters are always the bare minimum.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

In Training posted:

It was very easy to get hyped about the next new thing, since better gfx meant high production values and you knew you where in for a treat. Also, a fully loaded 'multimedia PC' where being sold for 5-10 thousand dollars, so, uh, it was kind of a different world.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

In Training posted:

Think about the people who were freshmen in 2013. They were playing GTA Online on a 360 their freshman year, when they graduated they were playing GTA Online on a PC, and now they've finished college, graduated and come home to play GTA Online on a PS5.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

In Training posted:

I can't even imagine how fuckin incredible it must have been for the 90s PC gamers.
It was awful, actually, because the $2,000 PC you bought in 1994 to play DOOM was obsolete by the time Quake came out, then you had to buy another $3,000 PC to play Quake, only to find out your Riva 128 was poo poo on Unreal.

I mean, PC gaming is still expensive but games are generally playable on a two year old GPU instead of straight up nope.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Fond memories of Quake III LAN parties, a game which I'm not sure anyone ever actually bought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yeah I figured they’d be doing less than what you get with PrimeHack. Nintendo’s rereleases/remasters are always the bare minimum.
I don't think it's less than PrimeHack, aside from the lack of MP2 & 3.