Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I'm pretty sure the only thing difficulty settings change in Half-Life games is health and damage values. I don't think they change up encounter setups or AI behavior or anything. It's definitely one of that series's weak points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah it's not really a "skill issue." It just makes the fights take longer when they shouldn't.

Doom did difficulty scaling well (put more monsters in) and although I get why games, especially in the early 3D era, opted for beefier enemies instead, it's just worse.

At least some other games have both increased HP and improved speed/behavior, like Marathon and Blood, so the combination of more HP and deadlier enemies that you can't easily erase actually means something.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
People keep talking about Goldeneye and Perfect Dark "aging poorly" but the way they handled difficulty settings by changing the scripting so you had more objectives to accomplish was perfect and its a real shame that more games never ripped that off.

Also: While I get that it's due to contracts and stuff, It's been interesting to watch the people responsible for the Goldeneye re-release on Xbox basically respond to all bug reports with "aint our problem gently caress you :colbert:" before snapping to full "im sorry im sorry im trying to fix it :sweatdrop:" mode with their hilariously buggy Samurai Shodown netcode beta at a speed that induces physical whiplash.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

Yeah it's not really a "skill issue." It just makes the fights take longer when they shouldn't.

Doom did difficulty scaling well (put more monsters in) and although I get why games, especially in the early 3D era, opted for beefier enemies instead, it's just worse.

At least some other games have both increased HP and improved speed/behavior, like Marathon and Blood, so the combination of more HP and deadlier enemies that you can't easily erase actually means something.

Early 3d games couldn't add new enemies without any thought, they had very strict performance targets, being released in the early 3d era and all that.

Although I never agreed with the concept of 'having better AI on harder difficulties'. If the devs can program a better AI, with more interesting behaviors, they should be in all difficulty settings, not only in the hardest one. Tweaking the hp/damage values is preferred over that, if there is no other ways to change the difficulty (extra objectives, changed enemy placement, etc).

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

The Kins posted:

I'm pretty sure the only thing difficulty settings change in Half-Life games is health and damage values. I don't think they change up encounter setups or AI behavior or anything. It's definitely one of that series's weak points.

Half life 1 did introduce new AI behaviors, though I'm not sure how common or obvious they were. The one that's immediately noticable is the assassin's gain an invisibility ability on hard.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

People keep talking about Goldeneye and Perfect Dark "aging poorly" but the way they handled difficulty settings by changing the scripting so you had more objectives to accomplish was perfect and its a real shame that more games never ripped that off.

Also: While I get that it's due to contracts and stuff, It's been interesting to watch the people responsible for the Goldeneye re-release on Xbox basically respond to all bug reports with "aint our problem gently caress you :colbert:" before snapping to full "im sorry im sorry im trying to fix it :sweatdrop:" mode with their hilariously buggy Samurai Shodown netcode beta at a speed that induces physical whiplash.

It's loving hilarious that I had Rare Replay, played a bit of the oficial release of Goldeneye 64 on my Series S, then I just launched RetroArch and played better, and of course the leaked version. Then there's 1964 on PC.

Definitely a miss on this one.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rocket Pan posted:

The one that's immediately noticable is the assassin's gain an invisibility ability on hard.

:aaaaa:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The Force Engine got another update which allows you to pick which MIDI synth/soundfont to use, including good ol' OPL3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gN5aiTS0e0

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I beat Perfect Dark last year with the m+kb hack and I don't think it has aged poorly at all

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
How does that fanatic bundle work anyway? I'm gonna try to get a friend to play dusk and AE but it might be a harder sell without knowing the particulars. It seems like it gives you a steamkey? I'm sure there's some sort of registration catch right?

e: oh, nvm I guess. Next sale is in 90 minutes so I assume this one's going bye bye

They still die just fine to laser mines, mind

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

their bundles usually reappear quite frequently

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

The Kins posted:

The author of Hypnospace Outlaw also occasionally appears in this thread and is working on a spin-off that definitely fits in this thread with a demo available.

Hypnospace is a pretty good primer for Slayers X. Tonally anyway. Also if anyone nabbed the bundle and gets stuck on a Hypnospace puzzle type 'hint' in the search bar in the browser for a hint system.

Slayers X is almost finished. The pre-rendered blood-esque cutscenes are done, maps are 99% done save for polishing up a few secrets, and I'm currently working on trying to make the final boss map fun.

Also I the things you unlock after beating the game will appeal to anyone here who finds MYHOUSE.WADs made by teenagers charming.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I was lucky enough to have a copy of Unreal before it went off the Steam store. What is the kit I should be using to play it on a modern system?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

RyokoTK posted:

Monster and item placement alterations are a really wonderful way to approach difficulty, although I understanding it requires more playtesting and design work than just fiddling with some damage sliders.

Is there any game/game engine that also has geometric changes between difficulty levels? Like different room layouts, doors & lifts etc

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Name Change posted:

I was lucky enough to have a copy of Unreal before it went off the Steam store. What is the kit I should be using to play it on a modern system?

Hit OldUnreal.com and download the latest available patch, then unzip it to your Unreal folder. Select the updated Direct3D 9 or OpenGL renderer at startup, and it’ll run crazy better than it would out of the box. You could also just run the software renderer, though when I tried it last the resolution seemed to have a hard cap of 1080p. You could always edit Unreal.ini and set a custom resolution, though…

To configure the new renderers, hit this page, which is where they came from and where you can find cheerfully thorough documentation. Generally speaking I’d pick Direct3D 9, but you may get better performance with Nvidia hardware using OpenGL. Have fun!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Any games give less ammo per pickup as difficulty scales? For a bunch of games this seems like it might work pretty well, especially if in conjunction with higher HP enemies. Plus has the benefit of forcing you to use more weapons

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

In Training posted:

Monster and item placement alterations are a really wonderful way to approach difficulty, although I understanding it requires more playtesting and design work than just fiddling with some damage sliders.

Is there any game/game engine that also has geometric changes between difficulty levels? Like different room layouts, doors & lifts etc

Halo 1 had something vaguely like this. I’m not sure it was difficulty based but there were small sections that had a couple variant layouts the game selected from. In particular, I remember the last outdoor section of Assault on the Control Room, where you go out on a natural bridge above the control room pyramid, could have differently positioned rocks on it so enemy patrol routes and lines of sight varied. Some setups made it really hard to get the banshee and fly to the end of the level, so you had to go all the way on foot. I remember the possible changes of rock placement extremely clearly but I’ve never found any documentation of it (not even really sure what to call it) and neither the other games, nor the modern (MCC) version of Halo 1, kept it.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Any games give less ammo per pickup as difficulty scales? For a bunch of games this seems like it might work pretty well, especially if in conjunction with higher HP enemies. Plus has the benefit of forcing you to use more weapons

Doom 2016 did this on high difficulties iirc.

On the other hand, Marathon’s highest difficulty removes ammo limits so you can stockpile as many rockets as you please.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hasturtium posted:

Hit OldUnreal.com and download the latest available patch, then unzip it to your Unreal folder. Select the updated Direct3D 9 or OpenGL renderer at startup, and it’ll run crazy better than it would out of the box. You could also just run the software renderer, though when I tried it last the resolution seemed to have a hard cap of 1080p. You could always edit Unreal.ini and set a custom resolution, though…

To configure the new renderers, hit this page, which is where they came from and where you can find cheerfully thorough documentation. Generally speaking I’d pick Direct3D 9, but you may get better performance with Nvidia hardware using OpenGL. Have fun!

Thanks!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

/drinking coffee on the morning, checks Twitter...

why is Elon retweeting Shodan? O_O

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

hes announcing that he bought the founding stake of trioptimum for some idiotic meme number and is now undergoing cyborg conversion to be the dumbest cyborg in existence

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

0 rows returned posted:

hes announcing that he bought the founding stake of trioptimum for some idiotic meme number and is now undergoing cyborg conversion to be the dumbest cyborg in existence

SHODUNCE

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
He should go hug an egg pod.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/DUSKdev/status/1626266481381060609?s=20

Gaspy Conana posted:

Hypnospace is a pretty good primer for Slayers X. Tonally anyway. Also if anyone nabbed the bundle and gets stuck on a Hypnospace puzzle type 'hint' in the search bar in the browser for a hint system.

Slayers X is almost finished. The pre-rendered blood-esque cutscenes are done, maps are 99% done save for polishing up a few secrets, and I'm currently working on trying to make the final boss map fun.

Also I the things you unlock after beating the game will appeal to anyone here who finds MYHOUSE.WADs made by teenagers charming.

I am so looking forward to Slayers X the demo rocked.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Gaspy Conana posted:

Hell yeah, looking forward to hurling dollars at it.

In other news, Shadow Warrior 3's Definitive Edition update is out and it's on Game Pass now. I should probably play it now.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Shadow Warrior 3 was short, but fun. I'd recommend playing it once or twice

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

Doing a build engine game tour. Finished blood and expansions and it's amazing. Deathwish mod next or shadow warrior?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Ms. Chanandler Bong posted:

Doing a build engine game tour. Finished blood and expansions and it's amazing. Deathwish mod next or shadow warrior?

Deathwish before moving on.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

further evidence chop goblins stinks!!!!

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Quantum of Phallus posted:

further evidence chop goblins stinks!!!!

Hell yeah

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Gaspy Conana posted:

Had no idea you were the Hypnospace dev as well as Slayers X. Just want to say I love Hypnospace :tipshat:

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

Also Ashes 2063 and afterglow particularly are incredible.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Ugh, does it still count as beating Cero Miedo if I used the crystal of madness on the dweller in darkness. It was still hard, just not stupid pound head against the wall. Oddly enough Jacob was a lot easier than I anticipated. First time I killed him I had over 150 health, although that was with the items in his chamber. And Nyarlathotep was harder than I expected, although I did get him on the second try.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

it doesn't count until you beat it on intruder mode also

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Gotta Zoap all bosses

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
(about the penultimate map in Dwell episode 2)

koren posted:

Horses for courses cos I really adored that level. Each wing has its own little gimmick going for it and there's just so much to explore and figure out. The water sections in particular are great! Dwell adds a scuba tank powerup that increases movement speed 30% underwater and vore projectiles are nerfed underwater so it's possible to dodge around freely in three dimensions fighting effectively which I found pretty fun. The only area that doesn't have a load of respawning scuba tanks that comes later on is fun precisely because suddenly you're being denied the luxury of unlimited time and forced to slowly push forward deeper and deeper into the unknown, searching for air pockets. I'd really like to see an attempt at an entirely underwater level using that powerup.

The platforming sections are admittedly hard, especially on higher difficulties are entirely skippable and shortcuts unlock to bypass them progressively.

I have nothing against long maps like that when there's an autosave function like the one in copper. Checkpoints are quite generous so it's always possible to open the console and load auto to get back up and running again. It's unfortunate that currently no source ports properly support the feature, but the next version of ironwail will have a little prompt when you die asking if you want to load the latest autosave, which can't come soon enough tbh.

Finished it (and the whole second episode) now.

Yeah, a pretty great map objectively, I just didn't like what it did to the episode pacing.

And I guess at least on skill 2 I think some of the puzzles were unnecessarily mean/frustrating rather than challenging. Like, shooting nail sprays across the tricky timed platforming area so that you get hit with random "pushes" while you're doing it... get the gently caress out of here with that. I appreciate the idea of unlockable puzzle-skip routes, but they were really useful to me when failing at a LATER puzzle and not wanting to repeat earlier ones to get back to it. So it was kind of annoying to have to fall/fail out of a puzzle some number of times to open the skip route for that puzzle.

The underwater wing was neat, a real master class in making the player evaluate when they should push on through an area (or in some cases retreat) rather than clearing it. The fight arenas after the water areas maybe needed more spacing/recovery between them, since there were a couple of times I was like "whew escaped that giant setpiece with 4 health, go me!" and the map was like "new massive combat setpiece starting now, enjoy!" Lots of savescumming in those cases. Not in an entirely bad way, kind of reminded me of insta-retrying setpieces in Halo Legendary to find the exact right approach.

Anyway, fantastic episode. The two Dwell episodes taken together are already one of the best "boomer shooters" out there. I'm really curious to see a) if they actually do buckle down and try to make 2 more episodes and b) if so what new ideas they have for those.

JLaw fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 16, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

An Actual Princess posted:

it doesn't count until you beat it on intruder mode also

I think I'll leave that one for someone else. Maybe they can do it on duskmare

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Gotta Zoap all bosses

Can you even soap jacob? I tried getting it in the portal and didn't see it on the other side

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i did cero miedo + intruder mode my first time through. it ruled. dusk rules.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I only play on dusk boy color mode

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
DUSK HD WHEN??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

New Blood ftw