Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Allowing myself to believe that de-CGI'd Planet of the Apes has a bunch of chimpanzees sitting around eating oranges on camera while actors pretend they're saying lines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

hollywood should focus on something everyone wants to watch jnstead: the 90th planet of the apes movie/reboot

I like how the planet of the apes movies take themselves completely seriously because there's nothing already funnier than an ape being serious

And it's also basically a plot element that humans refuse to stop being racist against apes because they can't take them seriously

loquacius posted:

Allowing myself to believe that de-CGI'd Planet of the Apes has a bunch of chimpanzees sitting around eating oranges on camera while actors pretend they're saying lines

I'm picturing the apes being interviewed cut with footage of the humans in mocap suits

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Is Doctor Zaius in the new Planet of the Apes movie, and more importantly, does he sing the Doctor Zaius song?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

loquacius posted:

yeah they really failed at showing government dysfunction imo

it took a little doing to get everyone moving at the beginning because something had happened which was theoretically impossible, and there were some one-off scenes where someone was a doofus, but it All Worked Out In The End

even in the aforementioned goat-shooting scene the old lady came off like a myopic stubborn whiny moron and shooting her loving goats came off like the right thing to do

they stumbled into making a pro-communist show by accident imo

From what I read, at least most of the showrunners didn't want to get into being pro or anti-communist. It was more about governments thinking about politics over reality and safety. I just thought some details about the show were really jarring and showed how the people who made the show didn't actually experience the USSR.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Is Doctor Zaius in the new Planet of the Apes movie, and more importantly, does he sing the Doctor Zaius song?

You joke but, we are only like a year away from simpsons gags getting turned into feature length films

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

DaysBefore posted:

Remembering when the kid first gets to the army camp and the veteran guy is like 'Jesus, they're running out of men' as if the troops were dying in their thousands lol

looking at the date it was released, im suddenly realizing that i thought the holodomor was a joke even before the invasion of ukraine lol

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

god im imagining how awful that show would have been if it had been made after the invasion lol. theyd take pains to point out that all the heroes are Ukranian, not Russian in pretty much every scene and it would end with zelynsky giving a speech to a class of children like the end of Malcom X

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Al! posted:

god im imagining how awful that show would have been if it had been made after the invasion lol. theyd take pains to point out that all the heroes are Ukranian, not Russian in pretty much every scene and it would end with zelynsky giving a speech to a class of children like the end of Malcom X

Now I’m imagining they end it like killers of the flower moon with Zelensky giving a post mortem to slide whistles and such

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
i watched Bullet Train last night and it was okay. Fun. kind of crappy. 6/10.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
the cutaway gags were simultaneously the best part of the movie and got to be entirely too much by the end. It seemed like maybe they recognized that with the totally superfluous "the water bottle" story that kind of poked fun of them weaving in some new character's plotline into the existing story.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

DaysBefore posted:

I did not even consider the old lady goat scene to be a negative thing until someone said it yesterday. They were already supposed to put down all the infected animals?? I mean sure fine some old country grandma is stubborn and doesn't know what the real danger is, that's fine by me. But the boys were doing the right thing anyway

"you boys cleaning up after a disaster are no different than the kulaks who showed up at my door in the 30's and the nazis who showed up at my door in the 40's. it's like poetry, it rhymes"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

yeah i watched it last weekend. liked some of the stuff but it was kind of a flimsy mess that never comes together at the end. pitt clearly phoning it in except for the fight scenes which were pretty enjoyable

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

brad pitt was such a weird actor to put in that movie

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i finally watched madame web last night and it might be my favorite movie so far this year

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Wasn't he one of the producers?

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

AnimeIsTrash posted:

yeah. feels like it should have come out in like 2008 starring clive owen

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Al! posted:

i finally watched madame web last night and it might be my favorite movie so far this year

What did you like about it? I've heard rumblings it might be the first big budget "good" bad movie we've had in years

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I was kinda shocked to find out the neither the writer nor director worked on Smokin Aces lol

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Cookie Cutter posted:

yeah. feels like it should have come out in like 2008 starring clive owen

i think clive would been a good fit, the whole movie is brad going haha see im goofy wacky guy but actually i could kill you with a pen

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

michael shannon's only bad performance imo

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Bro Dad posted:

michael shannon's only bad performance imo

not great!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

i think clive would been a good fit, the whole movie is brad going haha see im goofy wacky guy but actually i could kill you with a pen

each character had their little gimmick and his being "a hitman who does therapy language" wasn't very funny. lemon's thomas the tank engine thing got kind of an eyeroll from me at first but the whole "you're a diesel" thing was probably the best running gag in the film

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

each character had their little gimmick and his being "a hitman who does therapy language" wasn't very funny. lemon's thomas the tank engine thing got kind of an eyeroll from me at first but the whole "you're a diesel" thing was probably the best running gag in the film

The movie made me think that West Ham fans have a very prominent presence in the entertainment industry.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

ironically it wouldve been a good star vehicle for bob odenkirk

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

goth smoking cloves posted:

What did you like about it? I've heard rumblings it might be the first big budget "good" bad movie we've had in years

its like......imagine they made this movie immediatley after spider man 3, having learned no lessons. every decisions from large to small is baffling, the dialogue is bad, half the actors seem to be confused, like they just walked on to the lot and were drafted into the movie that day. adam scott plays uncle ben but legally they were not allowed to point this out except eh eh? his name is ben

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

all of the villans lines are ADR and they didnt even try to match it up

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

DaysBefore posted:

Lol. Also aside from the (obviously bad) events that led to the disaster the government performed very well in the show?? It took very little cajoling to get the top bureaucrats to understand what was happening even if some of the midlevel guys like fat Belarussian dude or the plant middlemanagers were idiots. And like yeah a couple times they didn't do enough but all it took was like one phonecall or meeting scene and the Committee would send what was needed. Genuinely even this failass anticommunist show portrays an unthinkably efficient government response to a disaster
Look, they tried to save face by ordering a robot that could handle radiation with a power level of 2,000, instead of admitting they needed one that could handle 20,000.

But yeah, the show isn't particularly successful in showing any group as particularly bad, and it's certainly hard to see it as anticommunist in particular. The strongest message by far in the show is that the state should be run by smart people, and by people who listen to smart people, and definitely not by people who disrespect science and/or women.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Al! posted:

its like......imagine they made this movie immediatley after spider man 3, having learned no lessons. every decisions from large to small is baffling, the dialogue is bad, half the actors seem to be confused, like they just walked on to the lot and were drafted into the movie that day. adam scott plays uncle ben but legally they were not allowed to point this out except eh eh? his name is ben

This sounds amazing, adding it to the watch list, thank you!

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Eric Cantonese posted:

From what I read, at least most of the showrunners didn't want to get into being pro or anti-communist. It was more about governments thinking about politics over reality and safety. I just thought some details about the show were really jarring and showed how the people who made the show didn't actually experience the USSR.

didn't want to get into being pro or anticommunist so they were just anticommunist. the "oh we have no opinion or point of view on politics just attacking governments who don't value reality or safety" excuse entirely breaks down when they chose to rerun the same anticommunist message of the commies being worse than the nazis.

truely, I don't think the showrunners see what they are doing as being ideological or taking a side, they are just depicting "reality" as they have been taught

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Al! posted:

Yeah, the film is a dumb mess and very few scenes seem to "work" as scenes.

That said, crucially, it's also decently paced and the lead performance is kinda smirky and fun. Johnson knows she's in a bad film and doesn't hide it in her performance, but that performance is still solidly constructed despite everything (something no one else in the film can probably say). And since the film never flags it never actually gets boring.

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

Hot dude with a cool attitude.
There's an extremely funny bit in K-PAX starring kevin spacey where the alien meets a psychiatrist and the psychiatrist asks him how the aliens deal with other aliens who commit rape and spacey is like "we are too evolved for that" it's aged extremely well please look it up.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

the cutaway gags were simultaneously the best part of the movie and got to be entirely too much by the end. It seemed like maybe they recognized that with the totally superfluous "the water bottle" story that kind of poked fun of them weaving in some new character's plotline into the existing story.

Yeah I watched it a few days ago and it was perfectly good entertainment. The water bottle bit was good.

One noticeable thing to me was the difference between semi-decrepit 60 year old Brad Pitt in action scenes mixed with a much more flexible and fluid stunt double. Like whenever Brad Pitt wasn't facing the camera he was suddenly 3 times faster and slicker.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

drake isnt a rapper, he's a rapist

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
rappeur

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Al! posted:

drake isnt a rapper, he's a rapist

Lmao This would work great in the drake yes meme

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

loquacius posted:

As has been covered ITT though the Home Improvement board game was good and if you find it at a thrift store or something you should play it

i cant help but feel like i would remember someone having made such an extremely specific recommendation in the past

the jumanji board game is remarkably garbage btw you wouldnt think that would be hard to do

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

the top golfer in the world ran over a cop at the pga championship

World’s top golfer Scottie Scheffler arrested on charges of assaulting officer at PGA championship event]World’s top golfer Scottie Scheffler arrested on charges of assaulting officer at PGA championship event

quote:

Scottie Scheffler, the top golfer in the world, was arrested Friday and charged with felony assault on a police officer and reckless driving outside of a PGA championship event in Louisville, Kentucky.

Scheffler, 27, was detained after he was seen driving on a median toward the entrance to Valhalla Golf Club, the site of the event, and initially failing to heed an officer’s order for him to stop, according to an ESPN reporter who witnessed the incident.

At the time, traffic outside the entrance was being rerouted after a man was hit and killed by a shuttle bus earlier that day.

A police report alleged that around 6:16 a.m. ET, Scheffler swerved into opposing traffic lanes to avoid backed-up traffic and gain access to the golf course.

An officer, in uniform and wearing a high-visibility rain jacket, stopped Scheffler and tried to give him instructions, but the golfer “refused to comply and accelerated forward, dragging [the officer] to the ground,” the report alleged.

The officer, Detective Bryan Gillis of the Louisville Metro Police Department, “suffered pain, swelling, and abrasions to his left wrist and knee” and was taken to a hospital, according to the report obtained by local NBC affiliate WAVE3.

The report also noted, “Detective Gillis’ uniform pants, valued at approximately $80 were damaged beyond repair.”

Shortly before his scheduled tee-off time Friday morning, Scheffler in a statement described the incident as the result of a “big misunderstanding.”

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

The cop jumped onto the guy's vehicle. He did nothing wrong.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
imagining the golfer's car ripping off the cop's pants and the cop is just running after him. he's still got his cop shirt and tactical vest and oakleys but he's bare rear end nude from the waist down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

I didn't realize they were already shooting Happy Gilmore 2!