Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

really a modern day Louis from Louis and Clark, I bet he had no snacks or water even for this harrowing journey of 2 blocks in the summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
IME walking two blocks is actually a Big Deal for a lot of Americans.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

so glad that I walk more than 2 blocks nearly every morning just in case something like this occurs and I'm forced to really put that training to the test and get home.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
How much is two blocks in metric system?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

The Alchemist posted:

About 4.5 walks to the pub.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

The Alchemist posted:

Somewhere between 300 and 400 meters.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I thought that dude posting his tantrum about having to walk a whole two blocks had to be a heavy-handed pisstake of AITA, but he's deleted the OP and his account so it might actually be real?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

ReelBigLizard posted:

It could have been unlit, unshouldered rural 50mph road which would have been lovely, but still not something to get wound up over.
But in that case i wouldn't expect it to be measured in blocks.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Aug 30, 2023

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

The Alchemist posted:

About .5 American blocks, lengthwise.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Aug 30, 2023

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
well, the size of a block varies from place to place, but you can tell homeboy walked less than a mile because he'd have used miles instead of blocks if so

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

If it was 2 Chicago blocks he probably got murdered at least 6 times before he got home according to some of my rural families measurement units.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

kimbo305 posted:

It could have been unlit, unshouldered rural 50mph road which would have been lovely, but still not something to get wound up over.
But in that case i wouldn't expect it to be measured in blocks.

TBF I don't much like walking in the US mostly because of how bad the driving is. I remember visiting my GF in PA and holy poo poo does that state hate the pedestrian.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
Why are there so many straight guys who can't even wash their own rear end, you're willing to throw away your relationship over something that takes a few minutes tops and tremendously helps your health?

Stopped having sex b/c my s.o has poor hygiene

quote:

F/26 vs. M/29 vs. poor hygiene We stopped having decent sex months and months ago when I figured out the reason behind all of my many UTI, kidney infections and yeast infections was in fact because my s.o doesn’t brush his teeth. Not sure how to broach the subject with him because its going to be hurtful telling him I wont have sex with him if he tries to go down on me, spit on me, kiss me, and let’s not forget to wash down under(that’s important too). If this didn’t directly affect my health in such a substantial way I wouldn’t be so pissed off and mad about it. Ive tried talking about it in a positive way, without blaming his lack of hygiene for our lack of sex- and he turned it into a fight. All I did was politely ask him to brush his teeth. Im at the end of my rope here. Our sex life is dying, there is no romantic or emotional connection left when your open mouth becomes off limits due to its hideous smell and teaming bacteria. Is there a nicer way to say this without sounding like an rear end? The man Litterally doesn’t brush his teeth and I cannot even kiss him properly, but instead of being a man and just brushing his teeth he feels insecure and wants to fight about it. This is so easily fixed its ridiculous, but its killing our relationships romantic and sexual side. Please someone give me the right thing to say, if I cant find the words and he doesnt take me begging him to get off of me when he tries to go down on me and washing myself off immediately as a red flag, I guess ill just give up?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Virigoth posted:

If it was 2 Chicago blocks he probably got murdered at least 6 times before he got home according to some of my rural families measurement units.

LOL I actually rate Chicago for walking around, at least when the weather isn't lovely. Wife and I went for a few walks and bike rides down by the lake when we were there. Apparently through the Murder Zone at one point according to my cousin after the fact. It was fine. Nice even.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

Beached Whale posted:

Why are there so many straight guys who can't even wash their own rear end, you're willing to throw away your relationship over something that takes a few minutes tops and tremendously helps your health?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB07EJhMBRs

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

ReelBigLizard posted:

LOL I actually rate Chicago for walking around, at least when the weather isn't lovely. Wife and I went for a few walks and bike rides down by the lake when we were there. Apparently through the Murder Zone at one point according to my cousin after the fact. It was fine. Nice even.

Chicago is fine as long as you aren't doing stupid poo poo or where you shouldn't be, it just blows my mind how much people talk about getting shot in Chicago. Are some places dangerous? Yes. Are some places dangerous in most cities? Yes.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Beached Whale posted:

I wont have sex with him if he tries to spit on me

This seems like a defensible position regardless of hygiene.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
He’s been giving her infections through oral sex and she was still kissing him.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
relationships take work, sometimes you just have to deal with getting a kidney infection with your oral sex

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Tongue is cheap and plentiful.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Like each type of infection is pluralized. His mouth has been setting her junk on fire for the entire relationship and she was still going in for a smooch.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
wow babe, did you have doritos for lunch? anyway get down there, my OBGYN needs a new pair of shoes

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Virigoth posted:

Chicago is fine as long as you aren't doing stupid poo poo or where you shouldn't be, it just blows my mind how much people talk about getting shot in Chicago. Are some places dangerous? Yes. Are some places dangerous in most cities? Yes.

Boomers and hicks have it hammered into them by media that everywhere not a bumfuck nowhere small town is literally an 80s movie level of constant mindless violence.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I live in NYC and I can’t count how many times I’ve had to explain that trains covered in graffiti hasn’t been a thing in thirty years.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I live in NYC and I can’t count how many times I’ve had to explain that trains covered in graffiti hasn’t been a thing in thirty years.

Every outdoor surface covered in urine is definitely still a thing though

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I also teach 5th grade, and when a student asks for period products you absolutely send them straight to the nurse because either

A. They are having their first period and need education and mentorship you can't trust their family to provide

B. They're not having their first period, yet their family has not provided the education and mentorship needed to know they need to carry period products so you absolutely need to get them in front of a nurse for both education and documentation of a potential home issue.

That teacher sucks.

Edit: Eh, maybe it's easier for me because I'm a guy, so when a student asks if I have any period products it's a lot easier to sense. "Huh, something might be off, here." But unless you need a bandaid because you scraped your finger, I'm sending you to the nurse for any medical thing, because when you teach kids everything needs documentation

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 30, 2023

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Some good long-term thinking by the sister, here.

AITA for ‘screwing over’ my sister by immediately quitting babysitting for her?

quote:

Basically I (39F) was helping my sister Claire (38) with her kids 9M and 5F cos she’s going through a nasty split with their dad. They go to the same school as my kid, 6F and I work flexibly and from home so it was easy to pick the kids up and watch them for a few hours.

I was always paid for my time as was my husband who helped but i quit after Claire accused my kid of stealing. She said with no evidence or anything that since her daughter’s favourite doll was missing, it was obvious my daughter had stolen it since it was last at my house. I asked my daughter, she said no and I believed her. She said she saw my niece leave with it and I believed her. I even searched my whole drat house and couldn’t find it. I told my sister all this and she said that my daughter is a liar and a thief and that I’m enabling her and she expects me to pay for a new doll. I was so angry and incensed that she was being so nasty and horrible that I just said to her ‘my daughter is no liar and thief and you know what? I’m done. Find someone else to babysit cos it certainly won’t be me and hung up.’

I got 5 missed calls from Claire before I blocked her. She sent panicked messages and tried calling my husband and he blocked her too. We have learnt from my parents that Claire is panicking because she really needs help with the kids and I’m the only one with a sort of flexible routine to do so. She also said that she had found her daughter’s doll, and said that thighs are okay now but not once has she offered any sort of apology for what she said about my kid.

My parents think I am screwing her over by not helping and that she made an honest mistake and is just stressed and everything due to her marriage split. They have said that perhaps I should take the higher ground and move on from this and don’t seem to understand that my kid was accused of something she didn’t do. I see it as I don’t care if she’s lovely to me, but definitely if it’s about my kid and she hasn’t once said sorry for accusing my six year old daughter of being a thief. She disrespected my kid and no amount of bad situation or stress is preventing her from saying sorry and smoothing things over.

ETA: I should have added, my niece never said my daughter stole her doll. She just said something along the lines of ‘mummy I can’t find my doll’ and never said any other context to that. So my sister just assumed it meant my daughter stole it rather than believing it could have just been somewhere in her house.

I quit babysitting because she was rude, nasty and bitter and is expecting things to go back to normal just cos she found the doll. She isn’t admitting she messed up and I would be happy to babysit again but ONLY if she sincerely apologised, but she isn’t so here we are.
Good work, sis.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Drunk Nerds posted:

B. They're not having their first period, yet their family has not provided the education and mentorship needed to know they need to carry period products so you absolutely need to get them in front of a nurse for both education and documentation of a potential home issue.

Wait what, you're expecting 5th graders to have internalized keeping period products on hand when they've likely only just begun menstruating in the recent past, and that if they forget to have menstrual products on-hand, it's some sort of metric for not being mentored at home?

You do realize even adults forget to have menstrual products on hand, right? People asking each other for products is common in bathrooms, even to strangers. There's an understanding that it can happen to anyone, getting caught out and your period starts unexpectedly. Folks don't always carry menstrual products 24-7, many have certain times of the month you pack them and sometimes it sneaks up on you.

Just keep some pads on-hand dude, drat. It's perfectly normal to ask for a pad or tampon if you need it.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 30, 2023

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Yeah and it's worth remembering when someone is just starting to get their period, for a lot of people it doesn't just start up like a motor and immediately fall into a handy, predictable one-week-a-month schedule. It can take a while to get there. My first year of periods was so unpredictable, lasting anywhere from a couple days to a full week, occurring sometimes every few months, sometimes every few weeks, sometimes starting for a few days, stopping for a few days, picking right back up, just taking its sweet time settling into a more reliable schedule. Someone that young may be still figuring out what being prepared looks like when you can't really depend on your body's schedule yet, so not having a pad handy doesn't necessarily mean anything other than "is a child experiencing something new"

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Beached Whale posted:

because it is extremely alpha or maybe sigma to stink like a rotting corpse and infect everyone in your life with easily preventable diseases

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Desert Bus posted:

I do not understand how "normal" people have not caught on to shower chairs and grab bars for showers and bathtubs. They're super cheap and kind of rule.

Some of us aren't so infirm/out of shape/drunk that standing up in a shower for 7-20 minutes is an insurmountable feat.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yea I have absolutely no desire to sit in the shower

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Gnoman posted:

No major branch of Christianity condemns sexual relations within the sacrament of marriage. If you go into many Christian bookstores, you'll even find "this was intended for pleasure" books pushing against the notion that there is something wrong with it. Some of the various apocalyptic cuts have adopted such rules, in the belief that the end of the world was imminent and they needed extra purity, but those always die out when the promised End Of Days fails to arrive.

Note that OP was raised in the same church and finds the notion ludicrous, so it is very unlikely to be a teaching of said church. Socially bullying someone into being sex-averse, as OP suggests, is sadly not uncommon.

I think you are kind of underestimating how the pervasive condemnation of premarital sexual contact/feelings (“lust”)/etc. can seriously gently caress up attitudes towards sex more generally. “Well your feelings are evil and disgusting before marriage, but now they are fine” is not exactly an easy road to walk.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Every shower has a chair if the toilet is in the shower

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Ok this is fascinating

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

gvibes posted:

I think you are kind of underestimating how the pervasive condemnation of premarital sexual contact/feelings (“lust”)/etc. can seriously gently caress up attitudes towards sex more generally. “Well your feelings are evil and disgusting before marriage, but now they are fine” is not exactly an easy road to walk.

yea they must not have winked enough during the service to indicate that they don't actually believe any of that poo poo, it is a nuanced scam

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
IT’S MY CREDIT CARD

quote:

Hello my darling, beautiful, smart, money hungry lawyers. K soooooo i need a little advice this is whats going on. Let me set the scene DRAKE CONCERT TICKETS. I bought 4 with MY credit card. Each ticket 697 dlls :) … yes you read that right. So 1 for myself, my brother, my cousin and her friend. Purchased. The friend sends me 300 dlls. Awesome, great. In the coming weeks my cousins friend decided to sleep with my cousins brother, this upsets my cousin because “she barely has friends why are you sniffing at my brother and also she slept with 2 other guys before him,” so the friend and my cousin are no longer friends and my cousin refuses to take and and I support her HOWEVER I’m basically screwed because obviously I haven’t been paid in full it’s again MY CREDIT CARD. and this girl wants her money back obviously she will not be attending the concert with us I doubt she will go by herself and she wants the 300 back. So am I wrong for not wanting to give it back? The chances of me selling it are SLIM because who wants to pay 500 for one loving ticket. so therefore, am I wrong in my actions as not wanting to return the 300 Pls let me know, any suggestions? Further questions. I live in texas the concert is literally like two weeks away.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Laying down in the tub and letting a high-pressure showerhead pummel your body with steaming-hot water after a 12+ hour shift at work is the most magical sensation known to man and you will not convince me otherwise

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Virigoth posted:

To live in Chicago you have to be a modern day Rasputin.

I know last time I was there I was shot, stabbed, poisoned, and set on fire but I was able to avoid drowning in the Chicago River this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Pirate Radar posted:

IT’S MY CREDIT CARD

There was a r/boru update a few months back about a famously unhinged post where the OP posted again a year or so later and pretty much said: "my bad, i was on some designer meth back then, it was kind of a low point". That post read a lot like this one.