Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
If you can use Netflix you can use a drat Plex client your kid set up for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

TheScott2K posted:

If you can use Netflix you can use a drat Plex client your kid set up for you.

Agreed, but I don't think anyone claimed otherwise?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Can’t use either if your internet don’t go.

Except plex from a local box. But that’s maintenance.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Thermopyle posted:

From what's been explained so far the issue is with what codecs it supports, no? I literally do not care about whatever apps it supports since, as I mentioned, they already have an Apple TV.

If codecs are the problem, then that's easily solvable by me before the files ever get in their hands.

I missed they had an Apple TV somehow. If they like that you could just plop down $7 and get them MrMC, which is the Kodi fork for Apple TV that's allowed on the TvOS store because it doesn't support addons.

Assuming they have a PC that's on anywhere else on their local network you could then attach a portable drive filled with videos to that, share it, and you're off. MrMC's interface is like a simpler version of Kodi, pretty Netflix-like last time I saw it.

Edit: Or they have portable network drives now for good prices on Amazon, which I see a lot of MrMC and Infuse people like to use. Speaking of which Infuse is another option to compare to MrMC.

So, cheapest/simplest with AppleTV - portable network drive/hotspot with your movies, Infuse or MrMC app.

Ixian fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 20, 2020

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Ixian posted:

I missed they had an Apple TV somehow. If they like that you could just plop down $7 and get them MrMC, which is the Kodi fork for Apple TV that's allowed on the TvOS store because it doesn't support addons.

Assuming they have a PC that's on anywhere else on their local network you could then attach a portable drive filled with videos to that, share it, and you're off. MrMC's interface is like a simpler version of Kodi, pretty Netflix-like last time I saw it.

Edit: Or they have portable network drives now for good prices on Amazon, which I see a lot of MrMC and Infuse people like to use. Speaking of which Infuse is another option to compare to MrMC.

So, cheapest/simplest with AppleTV - portable network drive/hotspot with your movies, Infuse or MrMC app.

Yeah, that sounds really cool! You can even keep it maintained with syncthing/resilio sync, ssh (or a VNC app), and a clone that lives in your place!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Ixian posted:

This sounds like the winningest idea yet!

tuyop posted:

Yeah, that sounds really cool! You can even keep it maintained with syncthing/resilio sync, ssh (or a VNC app), and a clone that lives in your place!

Unfortunately, they have satellite internet. It's their only option (thanks broadband monopolies and the policies enabling it). It's slow as poo poo with data caps.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 20, 2020

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

This is probably the best place for this question...

I just finished ripping about 900+ CDs as a backup for a variety of reasons (disk rot, Apple loving up the mp3s and me needing to re-rip them, etc). But I finished that, and now I'm thinking about my bluray collection since Kodi said they support it now as well. I had no problem with my DVD collection years ago, but I can't find something for bluray ripping to ISO files. I'm trying to make backup images first, and playing them in Kodi is just a lucky coincidence.

The other thing is I'm currently using a Mac, but I'm about to transition over to a Windows box after this whole Corona thing blows over (I basically can't until my wife is done working from home).

Does anyone have a good program that will rip blurays to an ISO? I want menus, FBI warnings, and all that garbage.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Sounds like you've already invested a lot into this but man...its time to let all that go. Streaming is the way. I know where you're coming from but seriously, listen to me on this one.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

codo27 posted:

Sounds like you've already invested a lot into this but man...its time to let all that go. Streaming is the way. I know where you're coming from but seriously, listen to me on this one.

You're right, I'll just throw all the disks in the trash, and pay to have temporary rights to all the media I already paid money for! :jerkbag:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

IUG posted:

You're right, I'll just throw all the disks in the trash, and pay to have temporary rights to all the media I already paid money for! :jerkbag:

That's exactly what I did except it was more like 300 discs and I gave them away instead of trashing them.

I certainly understand why someone wouldn't want to do it though.

Just in case you didn't know, you can use Google Play Music and stream all your freshly-ripped disks with it directly from Google.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

If I wanted to stream it, then I know how already. But that's not what I'm trying to do here. I wanted to try Kodi's new feature to read bluray images, and if that worked, start to backup my disks. All my DVDs are in the basement as I can send those from the NAS to Kodi running on a fire stick. I wanted to try the same with blurays, but I don't know the program to rip them.

Looking at Collectorz, I have 350 blurays, and I wouldn't want to try to tally how many streaming sites I'd have to sign up for to watch what I already own, and hope for the best for special features. I mean, how else am I going to watch my Hobbit film school special features?!?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
forget about kodi and use plex to make your own streaming service for all your content.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

IUG posted:

If I wanted to stream it, then I know how already. But that's not what I'm trying to do here. I wanted to try Kodi's new feature to read bluray images, and if that worked, start to backup my disks. All my DVDs are in the basement as I can send those from the NAS to Kodi running on a fire stick. I wanted to try the same with blurays, but I don't know the program to rip them.

Looking at Collectorz, I have 350 blurays, and I wouldn't want to try to tally how many streaming sites I'd have to sign up for to watch what I already own, and hope for the best for special features. I mean, how else am I going to watch my Hobbit film school special features?!?

When I contemplated a similar project I decided it was way easier to just download the movies from usenet instead of going through the hassle of ripping them and converting them and all that.

Type the name of all the movies into Radarr and it just takes care of it all.

Of course, if you're not already familiar with how to do all of that it's a hassle to learn and get it set up.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I spent a bunch of time making MKVs of about half my blurays and then just said gently caress it and torrented the rest. Forget ISOs - you're not going to get a turnkey "it's like the disc is in" solution, Blu-ray formatting and DRM is too much of a clusterfuck compared to DVDs, so you're really looking at MKVs of the mail feature.

Really, just torrent whatever movies you have. The pirates are much better at ripping discs than you are. Then put it in Plex or whatever.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I buy and rip Blu-rays, mostly so I can get the subtitles and commentary tracks like I like them. I also would rather buy a disc than a digital file all else being equal. But I also buy everything in mp3 format and mess with all the ID3 tags to match my preferences and download every digital comic that I can (mainly, stuff sold by Image comics). I don't recommend people live like I do.

For Blu-rays that have special features that I would like to rewatch, I also rip those, combine them into a single file, and save them as a custom movie called "[movie name] Special Features" so they show up in my movie library like everything else. I even make custom posters for them.

Again, don't live like I do.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah, I use Radarr (and Sonarr) for downloads on my NAS. So I could download them all if I wanted, but I'm working from home 5 days out of a week now, and have time on my hands. And after ripping about 900 CDs to FLAC (and did my DVD collection years ago), I figured I was going to try it with my Blurays, seeing as I have the time, and Kodi supposedly supports it.

I know if I go through and rip the special features one at a time, I'm going to say "I don't care about X/Y/Z special feature" and just half-rear end it.

TheScott2K posted:

Forget ISOs - you're not going to get a turnkey "it's like the disc is in" solution, Blu-ray formatting and DRM is too much of a clusterfuck compared to DVDs, so you're really looking at MKVs of the mail feature.

Yeah, I was hoping it was easily defeated by now like DVDs. I guess I'll have to wait some more. Not like it matters, my NAS couldn't hold my entire collection. I was just going to put the best stuff up first, like the Gravity Falls set.

Uthor posted:

I buy and rip Blu-rays, mostly so I can get the subtitles and commentary tracks like I like them. I also would rather buy a disc than a digital file all else being equal. But I also buy everything in mp3 format and mess with all the ID3 tags to match my preferences and download every digital comic that I can (mainly, stuff sold by Image comics). I don't recommend people live like I do.

For Blu-rays that have special features that I would like to rewatch, I also rip those, combine them into a single file, and save them as a custom movie called "[movie name] Special Features" so they show up in my movie library like everything else. I even make custom posters for them.

Again, don't live like I do.

Your life is really close to mine already. Although I buy used CDs and rip them right to file, and buy physical comic books.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

IUG posted:

Your life is really close to mine already. Although I buy used CDs and rip them right to file, and buy physical comic books.

I buy lots of physical books, but comiXology sales make it really easy to load up on Image comics. And, frankly, it's nice not having to figure out how to store all these books. I have a wall of comics as is, and would like to get rid of 20% of them for space reasons.

Same reason I started getting digital music. But then I went and got a record player. :sigh:

I also mainly read books through the library.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Uthor posted:

I buy lots of physical books, but comiXology sales make it really easy to load up on Image comics. And, frankly, it's nice not having to figure out how to store all these books. I have a wall of comics as is, and would like to get rid of 20% of them for space reasons.

I just have two legal sized filing cabinets in my office for my comics. I just traded in a bunch for store credit at my comic shop, right before they had to close for Corona, so now I feel bad that I gave them no money for the last few weeks before they had to close up (hopefully temporarily).

I ended up buying plastic sleeves for my movies so I could toss the jewel cases for my CDs/DVDs/Blurays, and they take up so much less space (probably 75% less). They're in these pleather boxes up in a shelf above my filing cabinets, but I have to pull them down any time I want to watch a film. It's the first-worldiest of problems.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I don’t understand your compulsions to hoard these objects but I guess I’m glad it makes you happy? :shrug:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I don't trust digital purchases that I cannot backup and play without DRM. I (rarely) spend money on them except for video games.

I pay for Netflix, I'm okay renting things for cheap and borrowing from the library, but if it's something I want to own and enjoy over and over, I buy it in a format that I control.

It's also pretty easy if, say, the movie came out five years ago and you can get it for $5.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

IUG posted:

I've gone down this road. It is dark and lonely and and at the end lies an Eldritch horror issuing silent screams from its gaping maw ready to swallow your soul whole.

Don't go down this road.

Like, I had multiple BD drives - the special ones, with the right firmware. The firmware! Can't gently caress about with the firmware! And the software. And the scripts to run the software. The scripts! So many scripts. I wrote some of them, even, and modified others. And after all that I still sat there, a slave to this nightmare process I created for myself, swapping disks in and out of drives for days at a time. I did other stuff, and told myself, I'll just swap them in the background, but the process would always worm its way to the foreground.

I told myself, it's a hobby, it's my hobby, I like this, yes I do want every special feature categorized correctly, I want the disk experience only without the disk drawbacks and I want it my loving way and yeah you need to just give that poo poo up, download the high quality versions of your disks and let Plex or Emby deal with everything. Buy a Shield for a client while you are at it.

Come join us, my friend. On the other side. We're watching things over here, and happy!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

This all started because ripping CDs was easy, and DVDs were easy too years ago. I said to myself that surely people must have cracked the bluray format too. But yeah, if it's going to be that much of a pain in the rear end, forget it. That's why I asked about ripping them to ISO to begin with, so I wouldn't have to think about it.

I'll never give up my collection though.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

IUG posted:

This all started because ripping CDs was easy, and DVDs were easy too years ago. I said to myself that surely people must have cracked the bluray format too. But yeah, if it's going to be that much of a pain in the rear end, forget it. That's why I asked about ripping them to ISO to begin with, so I wouldn't have to think about it.

I'll never give up my collection though.

BluRay ISOs mean Java emulation, the untold wonders of "stacked" ISO files, and more fuckery than the human mind is equipped to handle. You, poor soul that you are, want something that "just works" like the days of yore, when you could make virtual copies of disks, and play them. I get it. We all get it. Unfortunately what we are here to tell you is you aren't going to get it.

You can try, and at times will feel like you are so close and hahaha those other assholes just didn't try hard enough and you win! and then some obscure poo poo you didn't even know was a thing will pop out of nowhere and stop you playing back that exact thing you were looking forward to watching whilst sipping a celebratory drink.

I wish to spare you this pain.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I ripped a DVD with handbrake or something and the sound sync is off, I hate technology now. I guess I should just torrent all my DVDs.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

PerniciousKnid posted:

I ripped a DVD with handbrake or something and the sound sync is off, I hate technology now. I guess I should just torrent all my DVDs.

Yes.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

PerniciousKnid posted:

Now you're getting it.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Not sure if this is the thread for it but maybe...

Is there any app/tool/self-hosted thing that will maintain a single watch list across services? Like if I want to watch good place on plex, and Stranger Things on netflix, and Mandolrian on Disney+ that it can check the APis for those and remind me what the gently caress I'm watching and what service it's on? I swear that I start about 10x more shows then I finish and just forget about them.

I want to know what I was watching and how far through I got so when I have a few mins to watch somethign and I'm not sure what it can go, "Oh yah you were watching Andy Richter Saves the Universe on Plex, and you're on S1E8"

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Hughlander posted:

Is there any app/tool/self-hosted thing that will maintain a single watch list across services? Like if I want to watch good place on plex, and Stranger Things on netflix, and Mandolrian on Disney+ that it can check the APis for those and remind me what the gently caress I'm watching and what service it's on? I swear that I start about 10x more shows then I finish and just forget about them.

I want to know what I was watching and how far through I got so when I have a few mins to watch somethign and I'm not sure what it can go, "Oh yah you were watching Andy Richter Saves the Universe on Plex, and you're on S1E8"

Justcast is an app that does this, I think. I use it to check the n+1 streaming services for stuff.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

tuyop posted:

Justcast is an app that does this, I think. I use it to check the n+1 streaming services for stuff.

You mean justwatch? Justcast seems to be a dropbox podcasting 'thing' I looked at justwatch and it seemed super manual, tell it that I'm interested in show X it'll tell me where show X is streaming. I'm looking for something instead that could poll netflix or scrape netflix when I visit it and see I was watching Altered Carbon and stopped on E3 so I could see two more, or I finished S1 of Lost in Space, and S2 is available now. Then repeat same for plex, amazon, etc... Is why I was hoping for something that was self-hosted since I doubt a service would be allowed to scrape if the API wasn't official.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Hughlander posted:

This is a major reason I automated tools to torrent/usenet everything I watch even though I subscribe to all the services.

Everything I'm watching just shows up in my Next Up list in Kodi as it's released.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Seems like what Trakt is all about, but I've never used it.

https://trakt.tv

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

This is a major reason I automated tools to torrent/usenet everything I watch even though I subscribe to all the services.

Everything I'm watching just shows up in my Next Up list in Kodi as it's released.

My problem is that the up next for Plex has soft limits on number of shows and how long they’ll stay between episodes. Ie Andy richter example was last watched 4 years ago. If I clear everything else it’s not coming back.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I've run into a strange problem with my setup. I have a Shield hooked up to a Denon AVR-X1400H. As of the last week or two, things I'm trying to watch that are only in Stereo come in super quiet (and possibly at a reduced quality?). This could be an episode of something on Plex or practically everything on YouTube. Anything with a surround mix is fine. I haven't changed any settings as far as I know. I use a Harmony so the receiver remote isn't sitting out where it could be accidentally pressed either. Any ideas?

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Just got the new Shield Remote... Its very nice. Feels nice, heavy, and well built. Using it on an original 2017 Shield TV. It works great! Batteries come preinstalled in the remote. The remote finder beep is handy, and the IR TV control works great too. (If you use a Roku TV with IR, Pick ROKU as the TV brand regardless of the actual TV brand!) Backlit buttons are a plus. You can control the backlight settings via a menu on the Shield.

Pairing is easy enough.. On the Shield, pick add a new Shield Accessory. Hold down the middle button on the remote until the lights start flashing and it pairs in about a second.

I like it a lot better than the Amazon FireStick remotes I have been using. (they don't last long for some reason, have went through like 3 of them).

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Idc I still like the original remote.

However, the controller is lagging lately when I play emulators (rarely)

stevewm
May 10, 2005

codo27 posted:

Idc I still like the original remote.

However, the controller is lagging lately when I play emulators (rarely)

I bought mine when they first came out and they did not include a remote, only the controller. So I have never had a first party remote. Have either used Amazon FireRemotes and a old WMC Remote.

pofcorn
May 30, 2011
My 2017 remote isn't working anymore and I've been using a Wechip remote/airmouse kind of deal. It's okay. I'd like to buy the new remote but it's $50 shipping to Canada and, well, gently caress that.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Just a reminder that the Harmony Hub works great with the Shield TV.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'll never forget the 2 weeks I spent putting together my HTPC, finding the perfect spot for it by the TV, setting up a profile just for HTPC stuff that world automatically log on when powered on, and then the Chromecast came out a week after and made it obsolete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Do y'all not just run an old dusty computer with huge drives with Plex running 24/7? Slap Hulu, Netflix, Disney +, Prime, etc and go to town. Steam remote play has added additional functionality for me. What is Shield, Chromecast, and the like bringing to the party that an old PC isn't?