Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Let's say have two cameras, a canon 450D (12MP, aps-c) and a 5D mkii (21MP, full frame). Then lets say I put a 300mm lens on each camera. On the 450D, my image is said to be effectively cropped to match the field of view that a 480mm lens would have on the 5D. Lets say I take a picture with the 300mm lens on the 450D.

Now lets say that I took the same picture with the 300mm lens on the 5D, opened it in PhotoShop and made a rectangular selection box 2/3rds the size of the original image, and cropped it to that size.

If I were to compare both images, shouldn't they be pretty much the exact same, in terms of image quality? Hell, if you crop the 5D's 21MP image down to 2/3rds its original size, that's 13MP, which makes it ever so slightly higher in resolution than the image from the 450D. Is this reasoning sound?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Different sensors will produce images that differ in image quality in ways beyond pure pixel count. I would expect the 5Dii shot to have better detail, more accurate color, and possibly be a little sharper. Stuff like contrast, white balance, saturation, etc might be better optimized initially on the 5Diii also if shooting in jpeg.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Let's say have two cameras, a canon 450D (12MP, aps-c) and a 5D mkii (21MP, full frame). Then lets say I put a 300mm lens on each camera. On the 450D, my image is said to be effectively cropped to match the field of view that a 480mm lens would have on the 5D. Lets say I take a picture with the 300mm lens on the 450D.

Now lets say that I took the same picture with the 300mm lens on the 5D, opened it in PhotoShop and made a rectangular selection box 2/3rds the size of the original image, and cropped it to that size.

If I were to compare both images, shouldn't they be pretty much the exact same, in terms of image quality? Hell, if you crop the 5D's 21MP image down to 2/3rds its original size, that's 13MP, which makes it ever so slightly higher in resolution than the image from the 450D. Is this reasoning sound?

You need to crop the 5d2 to like 8.3mp imor thereabouts to get to aps-c FOV

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Oh god you're right. I was conflating fov crop with sensor size. Canon APS-C sensors have less than half the area of full-frame.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

And there would be less dynamic range too.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
Storm season in here Arizona provides some cool opportunities for time lapse photos. I'm just getting back into photography after several years away from it. I'm not looking at doing anything professional quality just yet- just to toss some videos up on youtube/facebook to share with friends.

Does anyone have any suggestions on free software to combine these photos to create a video from it?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
My friend has asked my if I wanted to be a photographer for a theatre fundraising show/event with a few performances that she's putting on. She's aware I've never done that kind of photography before and I am a complete amateur but she's cool with me giving it a go and seeing what happens. Anyone have some good advice for shooting things like that?

From what I've gathered, the basic tips are wide aperture, high ISO, shoot manual to choose shutter speed yourself, and make sure to move around and get different angles. Is that pretty accurate? I also asked if I can go to the venue beforehand to scout it out and make some initial judgements on the settings I can get away with there which she's cool with.

The gear I've got at the moment is a 6D with the 24-105 f4L, and also a nifty fifty. I know f4 isn't the widest for this kind of low light photography, but the 6D is pretty drat amazing in low light so I'm hoping I can just keep the ISO higher to compensate?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

NaDy posted:

My friend has asked my if I wanted to be a photographer for a theatre fundraising show/event with a few performances that she's putting on. She's aware I've never done that kind of photography before and I am a complete amateur but she's cool with me giving it a go and seeing what happens. Anyone have some good advice for shooting things like that?

From what I've gathered, the basic tips are wide aperture, high ISO, shoot manual to choose shutter speed yourself, and make sure to move around and get different angles. Is that pretty accurate? I also asked if I can go to the venue beforehand to scout it out and make some initial judgements on the settings I can get away with there which she's cool with.

The gear I've got at the moment is a 6D with the 24-105 f4L, and also a nifty fifty. I know f4 isn't the widest for this kind of low light photography, but the 6D is pretty drat amazing in low light so I'm hoping I can just keep the ISO higher to compensate?

Do you have a speedlight?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

VelociBacon posted:

Do you have a speedlight?

Using a speedlight for a theatre production shoot is what most folks would call "a bad idea".

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

HPL posted:

Using a speedlight for a theatre production shoot is what most folks would call "a bad idea".

If it was during the blue man group finale, would anyone notice?

All aboard all aboard wooo

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah a flash is out of the question really, just going to use the stage and performance lighting.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

timrenzi574 posted:

If it was during the blue man group finale, would anyone notice?
No, because no one would be there because they would have figured they had broken up 10 years ago.

As for the original question, as long as the light ranges anywhere from "meh" to "okay", you should be all right with an f/4 lens and a camera that can do ISO 6400 decently. Theatre lighting is usually fine since there's someone whose job is nothing but lighting as opposed to concerts where it's the lighting/sound/bouncer/bartender guy. Use the 50mm for the candids at the after party.

I would say that one thing you should try is practicing post-processing high ISO photos. It's not for the faint of heart and once you figure out a workflow that works for you, you'll be a far, far better photographer for it.

HPL fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 3, 2015

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

NaDy posted:

Yeah a flash is out of the question really, just going to use the stage and performance lighting.

Whoops I read this as more of a concert.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Couldn't you shoot a dress rehearsal with whatever lighting you wanted?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Instead of just relying on AEB, I suppose the best way to do a HDR shot is to start with an exposure that doesn't have any clipped highlights and increment the shutter time by a stop until the shadows are stretched across the histogram?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I fail to see the advantage of not using AEB for HDR. I don't know what you shoot but on Canon you can slide the AEB left or right for exposure compensation if it's off. Either way, it's going to be much quicker than doing it manually.

Honestly I don't even worry about it. My 6D does 5 stops and I reckon I'm good even if 2 or 3 of those are worth using.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Combat Pretzel posted:

Instead of just relying on AEB, I suppose the best way to do a HDR shot is to start with an exposure that doesn't have any clipped highlights and increment the shutter time by a stop until the shadows are stretched across the histogram?

that's essentially what AEB is doing though....

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
With AEB I usually just select -2 and -2 EV and don't really pay much attention to the histogram. So I'm relying on the metering and two additional exposures. I was just wondering if going in 1 EV steps and trying to manually cover the range will give noticeably better results or whether it's much ado for nothing. I have a live histogram in the EVF.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

don't really pay much attention to the histogram.

you should really be paying attention to the histogram

Unexpected
Jan 5, 2010

You're gonna need
a bigger boat.
Hi,

Could you suggest a good slideshow app? Either a Lightroom 6 plug-in or standalone?

Lightroom can now create an MP4 video with sound out of your collection but the quality (compared with actual photos) is not great... I used to use SlideshowPro but it was flash and the program is no longer supported.

Thanks.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Unexpected posted:

Hi,

Could you suggest a good slideshow app? Either a Lightroom 6 plug-in or standalone?

Lightroom can now create an MP4 video with sound out of your collection but the quality (compared with actual photos) is not great... I used to use SlideshowPro but it was flash and the program is no longer supported.

Thanks.

Upgrade to the LR & PS CC package then use the video time line to make them manually, it's not hard.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I want an intro book to read on the plane, preferably through the Playstore and not kindle due to :effort: and having some credit I'll never use on the Playstore otherwise. Can't do hard copies as the lights will be off for about 12 hours of the flight.

How's Exposure and Understanding the Histogram? Seems to be most similar to the ones recommended in the OP

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Mr. Wookums posted:

Can't do hard copies as the lights will be off for about 12 hours of the flight.

What third-world airline are you flying on that doesn't have an individually controllable light for each seat?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

MrBlandAverage posted:

What third-world airline are you flying on that doesn't have an individually controllable light for each seat?

One where it's considerate not to blind your seatmate that's trying to get some sleep for hours on end?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Radbot posted:

One where it's considerate not to blind your seatmate that's trying to get some sleep for hours on end?

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Yeah I mean you can justify nearly anything by just telling people to stuff earplugs in their ears and cover their eyes with a blindfold, doesn't make it considerate though, hth

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Snark aside, aren't ebooks kind of crummy for photography books? I don't know about that book specifically, but Understanding Exposure is chock full of photos, and the ebook versions don't have the photos, just the words, and you kind of miss most of the meaning without the pictures.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

Radbot posted:

sleep for hours on end

This has never actually happened in the history of air travel.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

William T. Hornaday posted:

This has never actually happened in the history of air travel.

I've slept for entire flights and not been awake at all in the air, it's like teleportation

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Dren posted:

I've slept for entire flights and not been awake at all in the air, it's like teleportation

I genuinely hate you. Every time I cross the Atlantic (3 times so far this year, next is in a few days) I think I'll finally get some sleep, but nope - just awake for around 27 hours due to the extra travelling at each end.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Dren posted:

I managed to do that from Tokyo to Chicago. Never woke up once.

Typically when I fly, I'm asleep before we even take off. I think it's just all the white noise.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

I genuinely hate you. Every time I cross the Atlantic (3 times so far this year, next is in a few days) I think I'll finally get some sleep, but nope - just awake for around 27 hours due to the extra travelling at each end.

Ask your doctor for some xanax. I slept for about half of my 16hr Dulles -> Beijing flight earlier this year, it was glorious.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

timrenzi574 posted:

Ask your doctor for some xanax.

Why'd the Mexican get prescribed Xanax?

For hispanic attacks.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
My wife had a Dayton --> Honolulu flight once. Took an Ambien in Ohio and woke up in Hawaii.

edit because flightchat isn't photochat: I posted this in the lighting thread but never really got a response -- I'm looking for lighting modifiers that I can use outdoors on location that will stand up to a little wind. Does anyone have any experience with some of the inexpensive beauty dishes that are designed for shoemount flashes?

dakana fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 8, 2015

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I think the guy next to me on the flight even had his incredibly bright, dare i say retina scorching, overhead reading light on while I was sleeping too

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

Snark aside, aren't ebooks kind of crummy for photography books? I don't know about that book specifically, but Understanding Exposure is chock full of photos, and the ebook versions don't have the photos, just the words, and you kind of miss most of the meaning without the pictures.

I use an ipad so my ebooks do have photos, however, I've stopped buying photography ebooks unless that's the only version available. On the kindle app the format gets a little screwy since it's made to scale (pictures show up on different pages after leaving and going back to the app). It gets kind of annoying. Also for books I like to reference often (like my retouching book), it's easier to flip through a physical book than swipe through a digital for me. PDF books are also a pain in the rear end to read as well. If I have something in PDF, I'd rather print it out if I can.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

dakana posted:

My wife had a Dayton --> Honolulu flight once. Took an Ambien in Ohio and woke up in Hawaii.

edit because flightchat isn't photochat: I posted this in the lighting thread but never really got a response -- I'm looking for lighting modifiers that I can use outdoors on location that will stand up to a little wind. Does anyone have any experience with some of the inexpensive beauty dishes that are designed for shoemount flashes?

The Fotodiox 6x9 softbox is really compact when it's folded up, and it feels secure when it's mounted to the flash. No reason not to carry one in your flash kit.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It's a 16 hour flight and I can't sleep on planes. I've even tried all nighters the night before to force myself to. No Xanax but I may try 2-4 over the counter sleep pills and hope those don't make me miserable. I used to be able to sleep in the hard plastic seats in college lectures, but I lost that skill somewhere.

I completely forgot there were overhead lights but I won't use them. On the first flight the row ahead of me kept cracking the window a tiny bit to look at nothing outside and I thought it was a dick move. Dramatic changes in light will wake me up regardless of where I sleep.

Haggins posted:

I use an ipad so my ebooks do have photos, however, I've stopped buying photography ebooks unless that's the only version available. On the kindle app the format gets a little screwy since it's made to scale (pictures show up on different pages after leaving and going back to the app). It gets kind of annoying. Also for books I like to reference often (like my retouching book), it's easier to flip through a physical book than swipe through a digital for me. PDF books are also a pain in the rear end to read as well. If I have something in PDF, I'd rather print it out if I can.
That's a bummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Mr. Wookums posted:

It's a 16 hour flight and I can't sleep on planes. I've even tried all nighters the night before to force myself to. No Xanax but I may try 2-4 over the counter sleep pills and hope those don't make me miserable.

They are just benadryl. If benadryl usually knocks you on your rear end, they will work.