Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maksamakkara
Jan 22, 2006
duckmaster, I am little confused, by 23 year old do you mean the Finnish guy? His age (26) is the only one that I can find from those links. Other than the valium part, the behavior of the Finnish guy sounds pretty normal Finn behavior. I myself don't travel but I have a couple of friends that are obsessed with Thailand and spend their weeks there literally drinking every drat day. I worry for their lives and livers greatly.. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008

xcdude24 posted:

I did the food on foot tour (http://www.vietnamawesometravel.com/travel-9174/food-on-foot-tour-hanoi-25/). Don't expect anything super esoteric, especially if you've eaten a lot of Vietnamese food already. Most of the places we ate at were well-known spots specializing in the famous foods of Hanoi (bun cha, banh cuon, etc). That being said, all the food was really good, and if you haven't ate much in hanoi yet, it's a solid crash course.

Edit: if you want to skip the food tour, there's great pho at 10 ly quoc su and 49 bat Dan, banh cuon at 14 pho hang ga, fried eel (surprisingly good, and this is coming from someone who doesn't usually like fish) at 87 hang dieu, bun bo Nam bo (simple but awesome) at 67 hang dieu, banh goi at 52 ly quoc su, bun cha aly 47c Mai hoc de (Outside the old quarter but worth the walk). Also make sure not to miss chicken street, which is probably my favorite food experience in SE Asia. It's at ly van phuc- maybe a half hour from the old quarter? A xe om would probably be 20 or 30k. Anyways, there's a bunch of stalls on the street, but I had a great meal at the stall at the very end of the very end of the street; make sure to try the grilled bread.

Edit 2: forgot to mention that Che is very hanoi and is literally everywhere

This is super helpful, thanks!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Maksamakkara posted:

I worry for their lives and livers greatly.. :(
Tell them to avoid the valium and pick up a sport that causes a lot of sweating on a daily basis and they'll be better off. I've got some friends who drink a huge amount (beer only) and are in their fifties and get regular health checkups who basically have no ill effects as of yet in terms of liver function. I'm talking the kind of guys who eat less food and change their diet so they can drink without gaining weight, heh. They also run at least 40K a week each, often more. It's not a one-for-one cure-all, but aerobic exercise really does help with many things. It's the sedentary guys who sit, smoke and drink forever who end up with edema and poo poo like that, usually.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 9, 2014

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Why can't we all just drink and eat lovely food forever. :(

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
We can!

we just have to do a shitload of cardio exercise and expect to die a bit younger, maybe - literally have multiple seventy year-old friends who run 5-10K several times a week and drink like fish

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

ReindeerF posted:

we just have to do a shitload of cardio exercise and expect to die a bit younger, maybe - literally have multiple seventy year-old friends who run 5-10K several times a week and drink like fish

This is probably going to be me in 40 years, if I live that long.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

duckmaster posted:

My best friend is leaving after Christmas and it seems like a good chance for me to go and do something different. I want to do a CELTA in Saigon. I know this is an impossible question to answer but what is Saigon like? Is the traffic absolutely mental? I have a motorbike here and would like to get one there, is that even remotely sensible? I doubt my current POS would make it that far so I'll sell it and get a new one.

Senso posted:

Paging Play to the thread, he did his CELTA (I think) shortly after arriving in Saigon.

Traffic is ok, it seems terrible when you're on foot but once you're on a motorbike it becomes natural - especially since you already know how to drive one. In the city, people don't go that fast so it's just a matter of following the flow.

I recommend the move, I miss Saigon so much.

Hey! Sorry I'm late. I did indeed get my CELTA in Saigon and am now comfortably employed here (you would be too, should you choose to do so). I got my CELTA at Apollo English, you should be able to find it on the internet easily. In my experience it had good program at the best price around. The instructors have changed since then but mine were excellent and the program was taken very seriously by everyone involved. I learned so much, went from being completely clueless beginner to a legitimate teacher with significant skills and pedagogical understanding in one month. Basically, I recommend it.

Saigon is a really fun city that goes on forever. There is something for everyone here, although for me I get really sick of not having enough nature around. That's what happens when you live in a huge city though. Driving is easy, the dangers are overstated and once you get a feel for it, which should only take an afternoon, there's no problem.

Getting a motorbike here is easy, there is a constant market for them. I am buying a motorbike off my friend right now for 1.8 million, less than a hundred dollars. It's a piece and also a crazy good deal so don't expect that but you should be able to pick up a fairly nice one for 400 dollars or less.

Any more questions feel free to post here or if you want faster answers email me at RobertJamesH at gmail dot com

edit: oops it looks like you decided against it, well maybe this info will help some random lurker (:

Play fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jan 9, 2014

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Atlas Hugged posted:

This is probably going to be me in 40 years, if I live that long.

Meh, that is me now at 30...

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Meh, that is me now at 30...

I meant the 70 year old part.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
He's 70 years old at 30 :lost:

Also I think I may put the thread title to the test, as I'm trying to find some decent travel pants and not having any success, since the REI Adventure brand got redone and now per all the reviews are terrible, and nothing else seems to have all the features they had. So I may show up in Thailand without pants.

Or, y'know, travel without pants designated as travel pants. But I really want something lighter, easier to maintain, and with better pockets than my everyday dress pants.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Traveldad spotted!

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
:smithicide:

I'm consciously staying away from any obvious cargo-pants design...

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
I read somewhere about a common pass system for bangkok mtr and bts. Is that ever going to happen?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I read somewhere about a common pants system for bangkok mtr and bts. Is that ever going to happen?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Kylaer posted:

Also I think I may put the thread title to the test, as I'm trying to find some decent travel pants and not having any success, since the REI Adventure brand got redone and now per all the reviews are terrible, and nothing else seems to have all the features they had. So I may show up in Thailand without pants.

Or, y'know, travel without pants designated as travel pants. But I really want something lighter, easier to maintain, and with better pockets than my everyday dress pants.

Why are you wearing pants, man? Embrace the freedom of Southeast Asia.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
You ever have sunburn, you know, down there?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
For the record, cargo pants are not the problem. The problem are neoprene Rick Steves pants with a zipper at the knee OKAY? Cargo pants are the next step up from shorts, if you are, for some inconceivable reason, required to wear pants that don't involve a suit. Jeans are the alternate. The second you have a pair of pants that can transform into a pair of shorts, then you're a traveldad. Fisherman pants are right out.

Anyway, just loving wear shorts!

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Shorts are cheating, sarong or nothing!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

ReindeerF posted:

The second you have a pair of pants that can transform into a pair of shorts, then you're a traveldad. Fisherman pants are right out.

Anyway, just loving wear shorts!

But if you wear shorts, that means you must wear those gross pants on loan when you enter the national palace!

Like that dirty beer singlet guy:cry:

I personally think the Travel dad look from to time is ok. Having packing cubes, wearing light clothing, sticking with fewer bags, are great tips.

It won't matter as much as you sweat and schlep from plane to bed. And most goons look like dorks anyways so might as well.

But the most awesome thing about south east Asia is the cheap laundry! So bring whatever!

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I never wear shorts in my daily life, not going to start just because I'm in Southeast Asia. Convertible pants are similarly a no-go. Obvious cargo pants are a last resort.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Just buy some drat linen pants. yes they wrinkle if you so much as breathe on them but you can get clothes pressed without even asking at any laundry worthy of the name in Thailand. I think they even pressed our underwear.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Linen pants = travel grandpa

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

There are only so many cool light easily packed options for pants material, man. Cotton, linen, that horrible quickdry nylon poo poo they make the zipoff legged pants out of, and... what?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
SHORTS LAFFO

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008

Kylaer posted:

Bought some pants from bluffworks the other day (https://www.bluffworks.com). They're pricey, but they don't wrinkle fast, look presentable, and have good pockets.

By the way, bring of pair of pants- they're especially useful when the bugs come out at night

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Kylaer posted:

I never wear shorts in my daily life,
0_0

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Settle down Texas.

There is still no good solution for travel pants. I often wear pants in SE Asia because I hate bug bites. Those bluffworks ones are probably the most frequently mentioned acceptable ones these days.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Blouse-y cotton trousers with embroidered waistbands imported into every single nightmarket from Vietnam. Technically unisex. Bam.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

im currently wearing fisherman pants and a chang singlet, frealz

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
More violence in Bangkok today. I'll there next weekend. Hope poo poo doesn't hit the fan by then.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Denim is fine as well. Locals wear it, so can you!

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Climbing Mt. Merapi tomorrow morning (in shorts, in case you were keeping track). All my classmates are like worried it's gonna erupt because it spewed some gasses or something in November. I'm just excited. But if I blow up it has been an honor posting with you all. Well, most of you.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
As for the protests, as much as it pains me to link to him, Richard Barrow, Bangkok's own personal Rick Steves, has written a pretty comprehensive blog entry with a map:

http://www.lolinez.com/?http://bit.ly/KLXYQk

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Don't worry we will just assume you were taking drugs.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Even the old REI Adventure pants look kinda dumb, and I say this a semi-proud owner. Do yourself a favor and hit up the Bangkok Uniqlo when you arrive and go nuts.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
https://vimeo.com/82292117

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Here's the solution to the pants problem: wear those bouffant colorful clown pants that hippie backpackers wear. That way everybody will respect you.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Senso posted:

Here's the solution to the pants problem: wear those bouffant colorful clown pants that hippie backpackers wear. That way everybody will respect you.

Pixelante posted:

Blouse-y cotton trousers with embroidered waistbands imported into every single nightmarket from Vietnam. Technically unisex. Bam.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Indonesia solution: wear a sarong, and learn to say عليكم السلام.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Have to agree. The next step up from shorts is a sarong for sure.