Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

The reviews are hilarious. I don't think there is a serious one in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Anyone a whiz at wine pairings?

Dinner is lasagna and Caesar salad by the host, garlic bread brought by a friend, and I'm bringing a caprese salad made with Toscano olive oil and four leaf balsamic. Dessert is some kind of cheesecake.

I've narrowed it down to two bottles from my pantry: Redtree Pinot Grigio 2010 (California) and Las Renas Macabeo 2010 (Spain). Both are very good for low-cost wines and I think either would be good with the meal, but does one stand out to anybody?

Dirtbag Diva
May 27, 2005
So my husband and I have switched to only eating local produce and, living in the south, never really had a problem cooking anything available in warmer months. Well, all we've got to eat for the next couple of weeks until our friends harvest some more veggies is about twenty beets. I've never eaten or cooked beets so I'm completely at a loss. I was going to use this recipe:

http://bevcooks.com/2012/04/penne-pasta-in-a-roasted-beet-sauce/

To get rid of a few but that still leaves me a dozen beets I'd feel guilty throwing away because my friends grew them. :ohdear:

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Dirtbag Diva posted:

So my husband and I have switched to only eating local produce and, living in the south, never really had a problem cooking anything available in warmer months. Well, all we've got to eat for the next couple of weeks until our friends harvest some more veggies is about twenty beets. I've never eaten or cooked beets so I'm completely at a loss. I was going to use this recipe:

To get rid of a few but that still leaves me a dozen beets I'd feel guilty throwing away because my friends grew them. :ohdear:

Beets are fantastic! Roast them, toss them with toasted walnuts, feta/goat cheese, and balsamic, and you've got the makings of a great meal. I also do a nice shredded beet salad with celery and apple cider vinegar. Borscht is a viable option, too, and you can put them in chocolate cake to increase moisture without significantly changing the flavour. Beets!

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

If you don't want to eat just beets forever, you can also pickle them. They loving rule pickled, but I also grew up on them.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
So hot grits is basically runny polenta? Would be interested in trying out some cajun dishes, but not sure if I can buy grits over here.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Dirtbag Diva posted:

I've posted a few times about the amazing Riverford beetroot gratin. Search the forums for the post. Here we go:

2. Beetroot gratin. Sensationally delicious. I suggest that you use a food processor for slicing; you par-cook beets in the microwave first (5 on high, stir, another 5, with just the water from rinsing them); and cook for longer than the recipe says. I use fresh rosemary.
http://www.riverford.co.uk/feed/in:...eetroot-gratin/

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

midnightclimax posted:

So hot grits is basically runny polenta? Would be interested in trying out some cajun dishes, but not sure if I can buy grits over here.

Not runny unless you make em that way, but yes theyre the exact same thing.

Also holy crap southern grits absolutely dominate.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Saint Darwin posted:

Not runny unless you make em that way, but yes theyre the exact same thing.

Also holy crap southern grits absolutely dominate.

Ah ok, good to know. Thanks!

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004
I'm sort of stuck right now, and I could use an idea from someone more experienced. I have a chicken (6.5 pounds) in the oven, and it should be done in about an hour. I sliced the liver thin and sauteed it with onions, thyme, rosemary, and sage. That's set aside right now (had a little more oil than I needed, kept that too). I'm simmering the neck, gizzard, and heart on low, with more thyme/rosemary/sage, with an eye to making chicken stock.

My target is five lunches for the week coming up. Aside from the stuff I'm already cooking, I have: skim milk, 1% milk, one green pepper, several yellow onions, dry lentils, dry rice, frozen peas, mixed frozen peas and carrots, and the stuff on the spice rack. I also have a bunch of frozen bread dough, so I have basically an infinite amount of bread as long as I plan 24 hours ahead. Finally, I have a bunch of canned fruit, canned tomato sauce, canned cream of mushroom soup, and elbow noodles.

My current thought was something like this:

Diluting the chicken stock to the amount of water the rice needs, and making a big batch of rice and lentils, possibly with some minced onions/frozen peas/spices tossed in there.

Deglazing the broiler pan the chicken is cooking in, adding some flour/water, and making gravy. Then, I'd mash the liver/onion/herbs/oil mixture into paste and add that to the gravy.

Pick the entire chicken, possibly pan-frying some bacon to go with it.

Divide everything into fifths, and put the portions in the fridge for lunches.

That should be enough food, but I feel like it's just CHICKEN CHICKEN CHICKEN and I'd be tired of it by Wednesday, let alone Friday. Can anybody suggest some tweaks that won't require me to spend a bunch of extra money at the store?

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

midnightclimax posted:

The difference between grits and polenta is mostly in how finely ground the corn meal is. Also, grits is often made with white corn meal, polenta rarely is. But the actual process is pretty similar.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Are there any cookbooks out there recommended for the novice chef (e.g., guy who only really knows how to make spaghetti)?

I didn't see a thread on cookbooks so I thought I'd ask. Thanks everyone.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
^ ^ ^ Not a beginner's cookbook as such, but the chronicles of a french-taught chef, teaching everyday people who volunteered for cooking classes:
The Kitchen Counter Cooking School: How a Few Simple Lessons Transformed Nine Culinary Novices into Fearless Home Cooks
(I own the audiobook :3: )

I have about a kilo of beginner kimchi chilling in my fridge.
Besides eating it as a side, what else can I do with the stuff?

Recipe I used was from The Sriracha Cookbook, if it matters.

Veg:
Napa (duh)
Grated carrot
Ginger & garlic, minced
Green Onions

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Dec 17, 2012

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You can just fry it in a pan, I like it much better cooked. A kilo is the right amount for the kimchi jjigae recipes on goonswithspoons.com, I did one and there's another version there too.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004
So holy crap I JUST learned that "Cup" is not a standardized unit of measurement. I've spent all my life believing that 1cup=250ml. Now I find that an American Cup is different. My mind is blown. I only have metric measuring utensils. So how do I approach this recipe?

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/best-chocolate-chip-cookies/

Thanks in advance!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's not a big difference, the American cup is 236 ml. Looking at that recipe you could just do 250 and I don't think it'd matter, or 240 is close enough.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

THE LUMMOX posted:

So holy crap I JUST learned that "Cup" is not a standardized unit of measurement. I've spent all my life believing that 1cup=250ml. Now I find that an American Cup is different. My mind is blown. I only have metric measuring utensils. So how do I approach this recipe?

Thanks in advance!

For everything except baking (where you should be using weight anyway) I just assume that 1 cup = 250 ml and go from there. I've never had a problem with it (I am American).

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Apologies if this is not the place for this type of request but I'm looking to buy a fruit juicer.

Can anyone recommend a good juicer around £100 range?

I'm not really sure what I need from a juicer other than I want it to get the most juice from the fruit/veg I chuck in it.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I want to make this recipe http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Pasta_with_Hot_Sausage,_Zucchini_and_Mushrooms
But I live in Denmark, and can't get that kind of sausage. Can I make some kind of spice mix to imitate the taste, and what should I use? (I don't know too much about cooking)

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Boz0r posted:

I want to make this recipe http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Pasta_with_Hot_Sausage,_Zucchini_and_Mushrooms
But I live in Denmark, and can't get that kind of sausage. Can I make some kind of spice mix to imitate the taste, and what should I use? (I don't know too much about cooking)

The spices in hot italian sausage are basically fennel seeds and red pepper flakes. You can just use regular ground pork mixed with a little bit of red pepper flakes, fennel, minced garlic or garlic powder, and black pepper. If you can't find red pepper flakes, just skip it, no big deal. Or substitute any other hot spice you want.

Really, any kind of fresh sausage would work fine in that recipe. Medisterpølse would probably be pretty delicious.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Anyone got a favourite chicken + rice soup recipe?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

THE LUMMOX posted:

Thanks in advance!

That is why tested recipes that are published by mass are far superior.

1 US cup of flour ~ 125 g.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

That is why tested recipes that are published by mass are far superior.

1 US cup of flour ~ 125 g.

Is that metric or imperial grams?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Aren't those called grammes

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

pile of brown posted:

Aren't those called grammes

My gram is gone now (rest her soul) but she probably weighed in at 13 stone.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
A gram comes out to about 10 lines

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Steve Yun posted:

Maangchi's website/youtube channel are the go-to source for Korean recipes

http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/yukgaejang

I haven't made this one but Maangchi is a safe bet

Thanks, with some :effort: substitutions, I just made some awesome ghetto yuk gae jang!

Wegmans for once didn't deliver on bean sprouts, but that's right next to the mushroom section so I substituted a beautiful giant hen-of-the-woods. Also I didn't have any sesame oil and didn't want to buy one (I really dont use it all that much), but I did get some korean pepper powder. That's a great site.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

RazorBunny posted:

Dinner is lasagna and Caesar salad by the host, garlic bread brought by a friend, and I'm bringing a caprese salad made with Toscano olive oil and four leaf balsamic. Dessert is some kind of cheesecake.

Take the pinot grigio but honestly both wines are wrong. You need to buy a couple bottles of cheapass chianti on your way to the party and get silly drunk off of that. It's perfect for the foods you've listed and the sharp, acrid burn of a cheap chianti helps to offset the joy of stuffing your face with lasagna and garlic bread. Nom nom nom, glug glug glug, party time!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Eh, too late, I took the Macabeo.

I don't know that I could buy chianti much cheaper than this wine was. I think it was a $6 bottle :)

rigeek
Jun 12, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Not if you're Charlie Sheen.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Steve Yun posted:

"What are you doing with that credit card and our flour?"

"I'M COOKING THE poo poo OUT OF THIS GO AWAYYYY"

edit: Hey actual question

How can I store fresh pasta for about a day? I feel like banging out some now for dinner tomorrow.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 18, 2012

Monkahchi
Apr 29, 2012

Fresh Chops!
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make a full-english breakfast more decadent? Poached eggs are a great start, but I'm looking for something else to bring to the plate, ingredients or recipe suggestions would be appreciated.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

Monkahchi posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make a full-english breakfast more decadent? Poached eggs are a great start, but I'm looking for something else to bring to the plate, ingredients or recipe suggestions would be appreciated.

I am assuming that a full english breakfast is:

Toast & jams
Eggs
Baked beans
Bacon
Sausages

Make boston baked beans instead of that baked beans heinz thing...
Bake your own bread
Danish bacon - sure, but get it properly sourced instead
Make your own sausages, or get them properly sourced.
Add fresh fruit
Jams - use good jams, make your own
replace the sausage with rillette or other potted meats

Unless you want to make a full breakfast type of thing - then the ingredient list should be:

Breads
01. Bagels
02. Lauterbrötchen
03. Brioche
04. Pancakes
05. Sticky buns (because we like the americans with all our hearts)
06. Pain perdu
07. Individual Tarte Tatins
08. Dark rye
(never made less than 4 of these for a proper breakfast - 2 sweet, two non sweet)

Eggs
09. Omelette
10. Soft boiled eggs
11. Sunny side up
12. Scrambled
13. Tortilla
14. Benedict

Charcutterie
15. Beech smoked ham
16. Schwarzwald ham
17. Jamon iberico
18. Serrano
19. Headcheese
20. Spegepølse
21. Salamies (3 or 4 kinds)
22. Bressaolo

Meat
23. Bacon
24. Sausages
25. Pancetta
26. Carpaccio
27. Pork rillette
28. Boar rillette
29. Pheasant rillete
30. Duck rillette

Cheeses
31. Black primadonna
32. Brie noir
33. Hard cheeses
34. Soft cheeses
35. Stilton
36. Danish blue
37. Roquefort
38. Garlic cream cheese

Fish
39. Smoked salmon
40. Gravad salmon
41. Smoked shark belly
42. Smoked clams
43. Salmon roe
44. Lumpfish roe
45. Salmon tatare
46. Smoked eel
47. Tuna carpaccio

Sides
48. Honeys
49. Pearl onion confit
50. Tomato confit
51. Maple syrup
52. 4-5 jams
53. Pickles
54. Pickled onions
55. Aioli
56. Capers in saltbrine
57. Different pestos
58. Different tapenades
59. Bruchetta

Soups
60. Gazpacho

Fruit and veggies
61. Melon
62. Grapes
63. Oranges
64. Apples
65. Strawberries
66. Pears
67. Tomatoes
68. Raw sliced onion
69. Cucumbers
70. Ratatouille

Hot drinks
71. Espresso
72. Latte
73. Cappucino
74. French press
75. Teas

Cold drinks
76. Apple juice
77. Orange juice
78. Rotkäpfchen (german sekt)
79. Champagne
80. Cider
81. Limoncello
82. Diverse cocktails (only did sidecars myself)

Cereals
83. Müesli with dried berries
84. Müesli with chocolate
85. Müesli with different kinds of nuts

Dairy
86. Drained yoghurt
87. Home made butters

Sweets
88. Filled chocolates
89. Petit fours

Cakes
90. Cheesecake
91. Layered apple cake (oldfashioned)

For the airways
92. Cigarillos

Pick no less than 30 - at best 50 (and no less than 2 from each of the bigger categories)

Serve..

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I grated some ginger on Friday, today is Tuesday. What we didn't use has been in the fridge since. How long will that be good?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

It's not really going to spoil, it'll probably just be a lot less powerful than freshly-grated ginger.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Happy Hat posted:

02. Lauterbrötchen

Do you mean "Laugenbrötchen"? (alternatively you just told him to get a lot of buns :haw:)

midnightclimax fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 18, 2012

Monkahchi
Apr 29, 2012

Fresh Chops!

midnightclimax posted:

Do you mean "Laugenbrötchen"? (alternatively you just told him to get a lot of buns :haw:)

I'm good with that, many buns is very continental (and very german, so appropriate!)

A full english breakfast incidentally is:

Bacon, Eggs, Sausage, Fried Bread

then optionally:

Beans, Mushrooms, Tomato, Black Pudding, Hash Browns

Some of the suggestions (and that list was epic, thank you very much!) make incredible modifications to this.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

midnightclimax posted:

My German friend is from Hamburg, might be the reason why I make obvious mistakes (no it isn't I am a slob).

Incidentally that list is a copy of a discussion that was had in the secret part of the Internet.

Dirtbag Diva
May 27, 2005

therattle posted:

I've posted a few times about the amazing Riverford beetroot gratin. Search the forums for the post. Here we go:

2. Beetroot gratin. Sensationally delicious. I suggest that you use a food processor for slicing; you par-cook beets in the microwave first (5 on high, stir, another 5, with just the water from rinsing them); and cook for longer than the recipe says. I use fresh rosemary.
http://www.riverford.co.uk/feed/in:...eetroot-gratin/

So I did this recipe, as well as the roasted beet root pasta and then canned the rest with this:

http://cookingwithmichele.com/2012/10/roasted-beet-and-apple-relish/

And holy hell I'm a beet convert now. The spread recipe linked is delicious on french bread with a tiny bit of goat cheese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Saint Darwin posted:

How can I store fresh pasta for about a day? I feel like banging out some now for dinner tomorrow.

The last time I made fresh pasta I just dried it briefly and then froze it. Still cooks up in about 2-3 minutes.