Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

So what's the deal with chalice dungeons? I'm not clear if I have to complete this first one to move on with the game or not. Can I leave and come back to my last lamp, or will I have to do the whole thing again? I'm running low on Vials, and enemies here don't drop many. I also want to do something other than the Watchdog for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

So what's the deal with chalice dungeons? I'm not clear if I have to complete this first one to move on with the game or not. Can I leave and come back to my last lamp, or will I have to do the whole thing again? I'm running low on Vials, and enemies here don't drop many. I also want to do something other than the Watchdog for a bit.

They are entirely optional. They have nothing whatsoever to do with game progression. As long as you don't delete the chalice, if you leave and come back you can select from the lanterns you unlocked.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Chalice enemies start giving a lot more blood echoes as you get further in, so you can start buying shitloads of vials by the time youre up to the Loran chalice

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

They're 100% optional, there's a cool boss and achievement for beating the last one, and there's some enemy/boss types that don't show up anywhere else, but they can be kind of a slog to marathon through so just do them when you feel like it

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Well poo poo, I'm going to go do that. I've tied like 10 times in a row to the Watchdog's stupid charge attacks, and while I'm sure that it's the Bloodborne version of the Chrysalis I'd still like to do something else.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The watchdog is probably the consensus biggest roadblock but not that watchdog

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

The watchdog is probably the consensus biggest roadblock but not that watchdog
lmfao of course

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also the chalice dungeons are kind of a fun parallel thing during NG/NG+ but you can also use them to make endless randomly generated content tuned for like max level characters which is cool. Over the summer I spent a long time playing a bunch with one character just so I could get 99 arcane for the hell of it

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

There should have been a lot more variety in the chalice environments, imho. Spending hours wandering through cramped dungeons sounds bad to me compared to the insane settings and views of the main game

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010

HolePisser1982 posted:

There should have been a lot more variety in the chalice environments, imho. Spending hours wandering through cramped dungeons sounds bad to me compared to the insane settings and views of the main game

Either this or they should have just taken all the best parts and bosses from the chalices and made a new regular game area. They could've put the entrance in Ebreitas' cave or something and it would lead underground into a cool labyrinth city.

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010
I like the idea of chalices but it really doesn't hold up compared to all the well-designed stuff outside. It's cool if you just want more game though I guess.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah I'm not gonna say they're incredible but after I beat the game like 9 times it became a cool side project after 150 hours in the game

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010
It makes you appreciate how good these games are with encounter and level design

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
chalice dungeons are awesome because theyre just bonus content for people who jerk off to the distilled gameplay of bloodborne like myself

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i like having chalices as a way to break the game up a little bit when you're stuck or don't feel like doing something at the moment. i also just generally like the encounters and bosses, even if the environments and loot aren't spectacular.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Regy Rusty posted:

They are entirely optional. They have nothing whatsoever to do with game progression. As long as you don't delete the chalice, if you leave and come back you can select from the lanterns you unlocked.

Yeah also worth noting that chalice dungeon difficulty doesn't scale across multiple playthroughs and your progress is preserved in NG+. But I don't recommend putting the early ones off until then because they'll be really boring at that point with rewards that are useless at your level. Just sorta tackle them alongside the main game imo

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
imo, the reason to do them is to get more boss fights, which are really the main draw of BB. at least for me. the chalices have some interesting variations on bosses that you don't get in the main game.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I just like how Bloodborne gives you a lot of options to do other stuff if you're stuck on something, but I didn't want to leave and lose all my progress.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Originally I was gonna use my tool to roll weapons after each boss clear but then I realized it could roll weapons like BoM or the Wheel which require side quests so instead i rolled all my weapons at the start of a run so I could plan. Well here's my next playthrough unless it drives me nuts:

Cleric Beast: Hunter Axe
Gascogne: Saw Spear
BSB: Saw Cleaver
Witches: Threaded Cane
Amelia: Rifle Spear
Paarl: Stake Driver
Shadows: Threaded Cane
Rom: Stake Driver
Logarius: Saw Cleaver
Amygdala: Kirkhammer
The One Reborn: Hunter Axe
Emissary: Beast Cutter
Erbietas: Saif
Micolash: Beast Claw
Wet Nurse: Blades of Mercy
Ludwig: Amygdalan Arm
Living Failures: Saif
Maria: Beast Cutter
Kos: Tonitrus
Gehrmann: LHB
Moon Presence: Logarius Wheel

Getting the Claw, BoM and the Wheel all in one run is brutal. Idk how I'll handle the chalice dungeons, I think I'll roll one weapon for each layer?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
that seems pretty fun, but paarl with a stake driver and amelia with a saw spear seems like a loving nightmare

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Rifle spear and yeah, its gonna push me to the limits but it also means I may get to dig into this game in a way I havent probably since release. Ill also stream it, may start tonight.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Good luck, hunter

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I definitely wont start tonight because im watching this Hokuto no Ken tournament until 3 AM.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I did not expect to be stuffed in a sack and brought to Pig And Dog Nightmare Zone, but hey, it's all good.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

I did not expect to be stuffed in a sack and brought to Pig And Dog Nightmare Zone, but hey, it's all good.

Nobody expects the sackmen.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://www.twitch.tv/in_training Im gonna stream this in a bit.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:
Kos with the tonitrus seems rough

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I should probably actually think about my build before I start this because I'm gonna need to think about which weapons I want actually use effectively

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i played through gascoigne earlier tonight, and at first it was incredibly comical retraining my hands from breath of the wild's control scheme, but once i got back into it, it was like second nature. father fartdollar went down pretty fast. i tried to record the fight, but my PS-Share thing did work for some reason.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I did the same thing earlier by trying to use R2 to dodge after playing a ton of Nier.

Cleric and Gascoigne down. Cleric is a slugfest, it's got so much dang health and I almost always just skip that fight. These early fights don't really matter what the weapons are but BSB with a cleaver will be manageable. I'll probably also be getting pretty cheesy with item strats on bosses because I'll usually have really low level weapons

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'll probably pump skill for the most part do I can depend on parries for bosses like Maria, kos and logarius

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i usually use the first molotovs you get on CB just because it makes the fight go quicker

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

BSB down. I'm dreading Amelia with the stake driver

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Definitely making that thing a +4 at least.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'll probably epically cheese the witches with the 0 insight trick.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
what weapon do you have for them?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The chain hwhip. The damage output is low and I don't want to bother with the spawns but I'll give it the ol college try at least once.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

In Training posted:

I'll probably epically cheese the witches with the 0 insight trick.

i know the shades otw to the fight only spawn with high insight but do none spawn even during it if you have zero? also i know i've mentioned it before but that's one of my favorite fights in the game just because of how it went down the first time i played it. i didn't get the gimmick and finally killed one of the witches and then the second one materialized right behind me and her health bar showed up and she backstabbed me for an instant kill. i was like 100% sure it was a scripted death because of how perfect the timing was

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

goferchan posted:

i know the shades otw to the fight only spawn with high insight but do none spawn even during it if you have zero? also i know i've mentioned it before but that's one of my favorite fights in the game just because of how it went down the first time i played it. i didn't get the gimmick and finally killed one of the witches and then the second one materialized right behind me and her health bar showed up and she backstabbed me for an instant kill. i was like 100% sure it was a scripted death because of how perfect the timing was

Lol. And yes at 0 insight there's no spawns. It requires you to leave the boss arena at least once though because you gain insight upon first encountering a boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I got past them one my first try although I thought I was a goner when I got snagged by a paralyzing beam. I took one attempt at Amelia and will probably make this thing a +5, the move set is stiff fighting her is gonna be rough