Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Alain Post posted:

Called wingshots on Cazadores and legshots on Deathclaws are frequently good ideas.
Thing is, I've never been in a situation in either FO3 or F:NV where I felt that targeting the limbs of enemies (making them less accurate/do less damage or making them move slower) was a better idea then targeting their head (making them die faster).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Raygereio posted:

Thing is, I've never been in a situation in either FO3 or F:NV where I felt that targeting the limbs of enemies (making them less accurate/do less damage or making them move slower) was a better idea then targeting their head (making them die faster).

I loved the Dart Gun in Fallout 3 specifically because it cripples the legs of everything, it's funny to use on melee raiders as they wobble toward you and it's actually really useful against Deathclaws

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Raygereio posted:

Its really just useful against deathclaws because you are more likely to cripple a limb in one vatsing than you are to kill them.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
There's also Dead Money which gives you weapons that have high crit chance and high limb damage in one of those "are you paying attention" things.

Maxwellsdemon
Nov 12, 2007
meh
Grimey Drawer
Charge foes hit Vats pop heads and then roll everyone for their pocket change like a crazed murder hobo I love me some fallout.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

FronzelNeekburm posted:

In the distant future of 2016, Los Angeles is a dried-out husk of a former megacity...

I was going to say you're getting ahead of yourself but then I realized you didn't write 2177 or whatever year fallout games exist in. I would like to see HOLLYWOOD LAND in a fallout game though.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Raygereio posted:

You must not have played a lot of Fallout then. It is often a much better shot to hit a limb if someone is behind cover or something, or if you are too far away for a good percentage on the head. Shooting the gun out of someones hand is also often easier than outright killing them, especially if its something really deadly like a rocket launcher or a flamer at close range. When running from a big crowd of guys I like to pull out a pistol and give each of them a pot shot in the leg, you would never be able to kill them all in one go, but crippling them lets you run away and kite them to recharge VATS.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Rutibex posted:

You must not have played a lot of Fallout then. It is often a much better shot to hit a limb if someone is behind cover or something, or if you are too far away for a good percentage on the head. Shooting the gun out of someones hand is also often easier than outright killing them, especially if its something really deadly like a rocket launcher or a flamer at close range. When running from a big crowd of guys I like to pull out a pistol and give each of them a pot shot in the leg, you would never be able to kill them all in one go, but crippling them lets you run away and kite them to recharge VATS.

I've played through Fallout 3 and New Vegas several times, but only in my last game (where I dump-scored endurance) did I feel an actual need to do this, but it was about as vital as you said, so I wouldn't be surprised if somebody didn't know it.

I'm still disappointed by a lack of crotch shot in the newer Fallouts though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Leg shots are super good against melee enemies and arm shots can be very helpful against very tough ranged enemies.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
:shrug:
I honestly don't recognize any what you're describing.
In FO3 and F:NV whenever I was too far to get a good percentage on the head, I was also to far to get good percentage on their limbs, or their weapons. So those would be poo poo targets.
And if I had a weapon that could deal enough damage to cripple a leg in a single shot, then why not target their head and kill the target in one shot?

Sure, you could have some fun with the weapons like the Railway Rifle that have a increased limb damage multiplier and mess around crippling enemies. But targetting the limbs just was never actually useful as a tactic.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Manket posted:

I've done my very best to check previous pages, but since this thread is one giant blathering maelstrom of inanities, I didn't actually try that hard. Anyhoo, I don't believe I've seen much or any discussion here about how we all "feel" about Critical Hits now being a rechargeable, on-demand feature instead of a dice roll mechanic.

Sound off! Give me hot takes, dammit!

I'm just hoping the guaranteed critical for sneak attacks is still around. Sniper builds won't be as much fun without them.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

JackBadass posted:

Los Angles would have made a much more interesting setting than a nowhereburg like loving Boston. At least with LA you'd have Hollywood.
LA is nothing but burnt out skeletons of skyscrapers that Fallout-LA apparently had.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Raygereio posted:

Targeting legs with a rocket launcher can launch flaming corpses into hilarious somersaults.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Raygereio posted:

:shrug:
I honestly don't recognize any what you're describing.
In FO3 and F:NV whenever I was too far to get a good percentage on the head, I was also to far to get good percentage on their limbs, or their weapons. So those would be poo poo targets.
And if I had a weapon that could deal enough damage to cripple a leg in a single shot, then why not target their head and kill the target in one shot?

Sure, you could have some fun with the weapons like the Railway Rifle that have a increased limb damage multiplier and mess around crippling enemies. But targetting the limbs just was never actually useful as a tactic.

Crippling the head isn't always a kill shot, and if there are 4+ guys charging me I would rather take a shot at crippling 3 of them than use my AP to kill a single one guaranteed. Similarly, often targets are hiding behind cover or something and I physically can't hit their head. But yeah, I do go for head shot most often, of course.

I always play on Hardcore mode at maximum difficulty, and I like to wander into areas that are out of my level, so that might be the difference.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Lotish posted:

Targeting legs with a rocket launcher can launch flaming corpses into hilarious somersaults.

I did this instinctively from playing Quake 2. Better to hit the ground near the target than send a missile past his head and off into the horizon.

Am I the only one that always targeted the eyes in the older games? I feel like it usually hurt them more than a headshot and blinded them to boot.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rutibex posted:

Crippling the head isn't always a kill shot, and if there are 4+ guys charging me I would rather take a shot at crippling 3 of them than use my AP to kill a single one guaranteed. Similarly, often targets are hiding behind cover or something and I physically can't hit their head. But yeah, I do go for head shot most often, of course.

I always play on Hardcore mode at maximum difficulty, and I like to wander into areas that are out of my level, so that might be the difference.

The maximum difficulty in FO3/NV is terrible because it just decreases the damage you do and increases the damage the enemies do. It makes every fight a slog.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

upping the difficulty is just for pc players who can actually aim at ppl

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

JackBadass posted:

Los Angles would have made a much more interesting setting than a nowhereburg like loving Boston. At least with LA you'd have Hollywood.

LA would be even worse than New York.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dongicus posted:

upping the difficulty is just for pc players who can actually aim at ppl

It doesn't really make it much better.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Andrast posted:

It doesn't really make it much better.

i didnt say that.

for actual difficulty you should run jsawyer on hard with a mod that adds extra npcs

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

NofrikinfuN posted:

I did this instinctively from playing Quake 2. Better to hit the ground near the target than send a missile past his head and off into the horizon.

Am I the only one that always targeted the eyes in the older games? I feel like it usually hurt them more than a headshot and blinded them to boot.

Eye shots give a better critical chance, after all the eyes are in the head. You chose correctly.

Andrast posted:

The maximum difficulty in FO3/NV is terrible because it just decreases the damage you do and increases the damage the enemies do. It makes every fight a slog.

In Fallout 3 it gives you a XP bonus, in New Vegas is makes combat more deadly (which I like). I have never had a combat in New Vegas that I would consider a "slog", if it isn't over in a few seconds than I'm usually being overwhelmed by lots of guys and fighting for my life. I don't know exactly what they did, but New Vegas combat is a heck of a lot deadlier for both the player and enemies.

Fallout 3 on the other hand, yeah there where lots of slog combats.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Rutibex posted:

Eye shots give a better critical chance, after all the eyes are in the head. You chose correctly.

In Fallout 3 it gives you a XP bonus, in New Vegas is makes combat more deadly (which I like). I have never had a combat in New Vegas that I would consider a "slog", if it isn't over in a few seconds than I'm usually being overwhelmed by lots of guys and fighting for my life. I don't know exactly what they did, but New Vegas combat is a heck of a lot deadlier for both the player and enemies.

Fallout 3 on the other hand, yeah there where lots of slog combats.

Imprecise shooting mechanics, a lack of complex damage resistance (and ways around it) and the selection of weapons that were not Small Arms being hot garbage, basically.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Andrast posted:

The only game where the hardest difficulty was actually fun was STALKER because it was the opposite of other games. On the easiest difficulty, it raised your HP but also raised everyone else's HP so every fight was a bullet trading slog. On the hardest difficulty it made everyone's HP lower. So if you could get cover and get the first shot, you could kill enemies quickly.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

LA was already in Fallout.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
gently caress it.

Fallout: China

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Cojawfee posted:

The only game where the hardest difficulty was actually fun was STALKER because it was the opposite of other games. On the easiest difficulty, it raised your HP but also raised everyone else's HP so every fight was a bullet trading slog. On the hardest difficulty it made everyone's HP lower. So if you could get cover and get the first shot, you could kill enemies quickly.

Metro 2033 did the same thing, it made the "Ranger" modes substantially easier than the hard difficulty, especially after you got the infinite ammo pneumatic sniper that could one shot the highest HP enemies.

mrking
May 27, 2006

Literally Kermit posted:

gently caress it.

Fallout: China

China has some of the most beautiful geography in the world. Beijing would be pretty cool, though it would probably just be a copy of any Chinatown in America

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

JackBadass posted:

LA is an NCR suburb, there would be nothing to fight or loot. Also like Pwnstar said it's already been done in FO1.

mrking posted:

China has some of the most beautiful geography in the world. Beijing would be pretty cool, though it would probably just be a copy of any Chinatown in America

Good news, there's a new fallout game coming from Obsidian that just got announced. Here are some screens.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Who needs a nuclear war when Beijing is already turned itself into an unlivable hell hole every day through senseless industrialization?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Good graphics but they went a little overboard with the post-apocalyptic theme

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

cargohills posted:

LA would be even worse than New York.
I really, really hope that any references to NYC in Fallout 4 make it clear that the place is a hole in the ground. Not out of hatred to NYC, but I think Bethesda has already stretched things with how well preserved DC was. Which is fine in retrospect considering that DC is a relatively small city and they did enough damage to kill leaders. But it's silly for LA to be the Boneyard and New York to be standing at all.

mrking
May 27, 2006

I wouldn't be satisfied unless NYC is a huge irradiated bay that's completely impassable due to the wreckage of all the skyscrapers. Just completely cratered to hell, maybe with the tip of the statue of liberty poking out of the water. Some things are better left to the imagination.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Constant Hamprince posted:

LA is an NCR suburb, there would be nothing to fight or loot. Also like Pwnstar said it's already been done in FO1.

You mean the non-canon version of Fallout LA?

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I just remembered about those Pip-boy minigames.
inb4 somebody mods Fallout 1 into the pip-boy.
I don't know poo poo about modding or if that's possible.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Why is the character in trailers never black or a woman?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MariusLecter posted:

They have shown the character creator, you can be black if you want. You will still of course have a white voice actor.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

MariusLecter posted:

Because marketing people are morons

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

MariusLecter posted:

Besides the obvious demographic targeting, you'd also have racist/sexist idiots assuming that since the trailer's protagonist is a black man or a woman that is who they play as.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I just wish, since they signify "This is the PLAYER CHARACTER" by putting him in a bright blue jumpsuit and, of course, the camera followign right behind, they would show a different product of the character creator from scene to scene instead of just the same white guy every time.

Now you're a white man with a laser gun. Now you're a black woman with a minigun. Now you're an Asian man with a sledgehammer. Now you're a hispanic woman with a shotgun. Now you're a black man with a ballistic fist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Lotish posted:

I just wish, since they signify "This is the PLAYER CHARACTER" by putting him in a bright blue jumpsuit and, of course, the camera followign right behind, they would show a different product of the character creator from scene to scene instead of just the same white guy every time.

Now you're a white man with a laser gun. Now you're a black woman with a minigun. Now you're an Asian man with a sledgehammer. Now you're a hispanic woman with a shotgun. Now you're a black man with a ballistic fist.

There's probably a lot of overlap between "people who lack the imagination to personalize their character at all" and "horribly racist and sexist brokebrains who refuse to play anybody who's not a white male". That's probably why there's a default White Guy option and why it's what's shown in every demonstration.

• Locked thread