Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Pattonesque posted:

here is a thing I think could be true

the Viper (probably Bad) could in fact be Good for scouting mode

It will still be way under gunned. If they made a scouting map that drastically favored thing with tons of jump jets maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Drone posted:

I actually have way more success with my HBK-4SP than my HBK-4G, and I'm not really sure how.

It's the durability quirks most likely, coupled with the lack of the fear factor that the 4G gets. The 4G relies so much on skill with the AC/20, and proper engagement that it's difficult to do well unless you're playing perfectly.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

It will still be way under gunned. If they made a scouting map that drastically favored thing with tons of jump jets maybe.

The real question is: Is the IFR a viable mech for Scouting? Is it a viable mech to begin with.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pattonesque posted:

4v4 is good as hell and you should bring your locust for shenanigans

Aw yiss. It is going down this weekend.

Blackdog420 posted:

upcoming championship esports will be sponsored by HelioS

:regd08:

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Blackdog420 posted:

I bring the TBT-LG over Griffins (when I really shouldn't) because of the cbill bonus. I bring the ENF-4R over the WVR-6K because I think it's a better robot.

The truth is, IS has a ton of badass mediums that are viable.

What do you run on the loup de guerre? I can't seem to make it worth it. The c-bills are nice, but it barely cuts it with LPLs.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I haven't been paying attention apparently. How/when does scouting mode happen?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Its a new faction warfare game mode.

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

It's funny if you idle in mumble for a while and notice how MWO players keep missing each other:

code:
[19:02:58] Drone connected.
[19:03:02] Drone disconnected.
[19:13:44] UltraBeef connected.
[19:13:48] UltraBeef disconnected.
[19:16:21] Grognan disconnected.
[19:45:33] Drone connected.
[19:45:52] Drone disconnected.
[20:01:15] UltraBeef connected.
[20:01:20] UltraBeef disconnected.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Fiiine, I'll idle more.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Cyrano4747 posted:

true, but here's what I'm thinking -- at 140kph plus the JJs it can run faster than mediums, and with 6 SPL plus 40-tonner armor it can credibly leg anything that can catch up to it

if you ran them in pairs of two on offense focusing on just gathering beacons you'd probably win a lot

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I like that STD 2N build. I was playing around with builds on mechlab since I'm at work and was feeling pretty hesitant about putting an XL in there.

I feel like I'd want more than ~18 SRM volleys, but then again I'll probably get cored before I get a chance to use them anyway :v:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Beet Wagon posted:

I like that STD 2N build. I was playing around with builds on mechlab since I'm at work and was feeling pretty hesitant about putting an XL in there.

I feel like I'd want more than ~18 SRM volleys, but then again I'll probably get cored before I get a chance to use them anyway :v:

Can definitely go with more ammo/smaller engine, but I've found that in the 4v4 you straight up won't have time to fire all of them

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cicada 2b with 5mpl is a tight and good robot imo

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Where did the new thread icon come from? It's p baller.

Fan Death
Sep 13, 2007

I AM THE LAW (WITHIN THESE PREMISES)
Please teach me how to be a [GIRL]. IG Name: BlueJae

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

Fan Death posted:

Same, IG name is MooseKing.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Fan Death posted:

go nuts, shoot butts

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
There's been like 3 of us GIRLs on at a time. None of us have donated to the coffers as far as I know. So GIRL can't invite new members because of this bullshit new system.

I don't have 5.8 million c-bills to donate for invites.

Well, I could invite and whoever I invited earlier that didn't accept would be SoL. Which of you two want in more?

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Talmonis posted:

It's the durability quirks most likely, coupled with the lack of the fear factor that the 4G gets. The 4G relies so much on skill with the AC/20, and proper engagement that it's difficult to do well unless you're playing perfectly.

It's not just the durability quirks, the 4SP is quirked out the rear end for brawling overall. Huge accel, decel, and turn rate buffs, SRM cooldown & spread reduction, and ML heat reduction on top of the durability stuff is a hell of a package. The 4G's quirks are quite good, but not that good.

Another thing is that everyone in the world knows exactly where to shoot a 4G to knock out 90% of its firepower, while the 4SP is harder to neuter. Deadsiding only goes so far when people make it their sole mission in life to hit your hunch.

I also think SRMs are just better weapons than the AC20, largely due to weight. You can pile a couple more MLs and a bigger engine in the 4SP.

Fan Death
Sep 13, 2007

I AM THE LAW (WITHIN THESE PREMISES)

Stringbean posted:

There's been like 3 of us GIRLs on at a time. None of us have donated to the coffers as far as I know. So GIRL can't invite new members because of this bullshit new system.

I don't have 5.8 million c-bills to donate for invites.

Well, I could invite and whoever I invited earlier that didn't accept would be SoL. Which of you two want in more?

TBH we were both trying to get in together :(. Are goons still active in WoL? Moose and I were looking to join whichever was more active.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
WoL is super active. if you really wanna GIRL I can donate some c-bills

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

If the only real difference is that once costs you 6mil c-bills to invite us and the other doesn't, WoL sounds good.

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

Pattonesque posted:

WoL is super active. if you really wanna GIRL I can donate some c-bills

Yeah Patton, we should be able to fix this.

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014
Also, TMerk, our Contracts expire tonight. Where are we going next?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Moose King posted:

If the only real difference is that once costs you 6mil c-bills to invite us and the other doesn't, WoL sounds good.

I think WoL was up to 16 mil last I saw in the thread when someone tested it out.

It's a silly new system.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

What is that cost for? The actual invites for new members?

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Moose King posted:

What is that cost for? The actual invites for new members?

It's 2.9 million down for the invite. It gets refunded if the person declines.

It's pretty dumb.

You're getting the same group of goons, no matter who you join. I like the GIRL tag though, it still gets a rise out of people when I talk about feminism and how men are privileged.

Stringbean fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 26, 2016

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

Beraiye posted:

Also, TMerk, our Contracts expire tonight. Where are we going next?

Wherever there are fights and low pop to get better contract bonuses. I will look at it when I get home. Will you be on mumble tonight?

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

TeeMerk posted:

Wherever there are fights and low pop to get better contract bonuses. I will look at it when I get home. Will you be on mumble tonight?

more than likely

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
GIRL has 5.4 million in its bank. So if someone wants to shoot another 400k into its account we can drop two invites for these lovely gents (unless WoL picked them up already)

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
Looking at it right now, it seems Marik has been abandoned and maybe some of the larger groups went clan. Kurita and Liao still in green with 10% bonuses Marik is at 30% bonus. All other factions either give no bonus or a negative bonus.

If you are wanting to do some Invasion modes along with scouting to increase the Merc Points faster and get free stuff then Kurita is going to be more organized on that front.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Moose King (MooseKing) and Fan Death (BlueJae), I sent you both invites. Dunno if you're going WoL or GIRL. But the GIRL invite is there if you still want it!

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

Thanks! I'm at work so I'll accept it when I get home.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
WoL Kurita 1 week. A few of the bigger units went clan so should be fights on that border.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Can confirm scouting mode is fun as hell. Running the Skoll Shadow Hawk and rolling butts.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Thank you for recommending the GRF-2N. This thing rips butts. Of course my unit just went to Smoke Jags, so it'll be a while before I get to play Scout Mode with it...

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Beet Wagon posted:

Thank you for recommending the GRF-2N. This thing rips butts. Of course my unit just went to Smoke Jags, so it'll be a while before I get to play Scout Mode with it...

it's seriously nice to have a 'mech that (in the year of our lord 2016) has flamers as an integral part of its build

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Pattonesque posted:

it's seriously nice to have a 'mech that (in the year of our lord 2016) has flamers as an integral part of its build

Too bad you can remove the flamer from the Adder.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
4v4 the flamer mech can have relevance. 4v4 is great in its different dynamics. And hey, if you bring the wrong squad it ends quickly and you are on to the next. It really is fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

TeeMerk posted:

4v4 the flamer mech can have relevance. 4v4 is great in its different dynamics. And hey, if you bring the wrong squad it ends quickly and you are on to the next. It really is fun.

Until you hit the 3 streak crows wrecking everything in sight. Mediums don't hold up well to the streak crow at the moment. It's fun with goons though. Get drunk, shoot robutts, don't care about winning.

• Locked thread