Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

fishmech posted:

Which isn't caused by that. Christ, tons of the world doesn't even drink milk.

The allure of lactose is too great, and it is why kids in Brazil are fat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Oh no, someone filed a lawsuit!

I know exactly what it's capable of, since I've been using it for two years. I haven't seen reports of anything that works better, but I'm happy to hear of your comparative experiences. Tesla wasn't the company advertising a car as autonomous, that was Mercedes.

But also:

quote:

I got it because I wanted an electric toy, though.

I like my toy. I bet you'd like it too. If you find yourself in Toronto you can take it for a spin.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Subjunctive posted:

the best autopilot in the business

Just because they call it "autopilot" doesn't make it one.

Please don't let lanekeeping drive you into a semi while you watch "Harry Potter" because you've let marketing convince you to think of it as something it's not.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

eschaton posted:

Just because they call it "autopilot" doesn't make it one.

Please don't let lanekeeping drive you into a semi while you watch "Harry Potter" because you've let marketing convince you to think of it as something it's not.

It makes it very similar to aircraft autopilots, doesn't it?

But no, marketing hasn't convinced me of anything. Autopilot didn't exist when I bought my first one. I have years of experience with the limitations of the system, I use it safely and attentively. E: exactly as it tells you literally every time you use it, in fact.

EE: let's not do the autonomous car derail. To directly respond to the question that was asked, my experience with autopilot contributed to me buying a Tesla again when I moved to Canada.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 21, 2017

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Coming back to the Juicero trainwreck, because it's a story that keeps on giving:

quote:

Juice wars: Juicero has sued another juicer maker for patent infringement
The company claims its cold-press hardware has a copycat.
...Juicero apparently still wants to be the only company to offer this type of appliance, as it filed a complaint (PDF) in federal court against another cold-press juice bag squeezer called Juisir earlier this month.
Juicero claims that Juisir, developed by Chinese company iTaste and marketed and imported with the help of Australian company Froothie, infringes on a patent Juicero was granted in November 2016. Juicero said in its April 6 complaint that Juisir also violates the Silicon Valley company’s trade dress and trademark rights.

Juisir launched a Kickstarter earlier this year with pre-orders still underway. The company claims that its product will provide 8 tons of force to press juice from fruits and vegetables that a Juisir owner chops themselves and places in either a single-use or a re-usable bag that the plant matter gets pressed in.
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/04/juice-wars-juicero-has-sued-another-juicer-maker-for-patent-infringement/

So basically it's a copy of the device minus the DRM ink-cartridge bag requirement. If you really had to juice, this would be a better way to do it for sure.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Subjunctive's owning a tesla isn't responsible for their crazy stock valuation, their anti-union policy, or musk's semi-relations with trump

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I dunno maybe it's bumped him up the guillotine waiting list

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Juicero claims that Juisir, developed by Chinese company iTaste and marketed and imported with the help of Australian company Froothie

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

namaste faggots posted:

If you're looking to deploy guillotines, you could do worse than starting at Superchargers.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

mobby_6kl posted:

Coming back to the Juicero trainwreck, because it's a story that keeps on giving:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/04/juice-wars-juicero-has-sued-another-juicer-maker-for-patent-infringement/

So basically it's a copy of the device minus the DRM ink-cartridge bag requirement. If you really had to juice, this would be a better way to do it for sure.

Oh poo poo 8 tons of force thats more than double the juicero let me get out my checkbook

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

double post like two identical bag juicers

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

poisonpill posted:

Oh poo poo 8 tons of force thats more than double the juicero let me get out my checkbook

e; it was better with the double post

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Thou shalt not discuss self driving cars in the unicorns thread, lest thou invite a 20+ page derail.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Baby Babbeh posted:

Thou shalt not discuss self driving cars in the unicorns thread, lest thou invite a 20+ page derail.

It was but a glancing blow.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Oh yeah get me on those chinese juice bags

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

namaste faggots posted:

Come the revolution, everybody in this thread is first against the wall.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
They could partner with Uber to put Juiceros in the self-driving cars.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
i'd prefer they invent the self-juicing car

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

cowofwar posted:

Oh yeah get me on those chinese juice bags

That's the thing, the Chinese one lets you just dump your own produce in, so you don't have to rely on them to have good produce.

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
how are people hating on the only new competition into the u.s. car industry? loving TESLA YOU ARENT FORD OR DODGE OR GM!!!!!!

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

fishmech posted:

That's the thing, the Chinese one lets you just dump your own produce in, so you don't have to rely on them to have good produce.

So it's just better?

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

roymorrison posted:

how are people hating on the only new competition into the u.s. car industry? loving TESLA YOU ARENT FORD OR DODGE OR GM!!!!!!

Also find this weird. The people who hate Tesla are usually guys who deny global warming, "Aww, you want to save the poor polar bears?" while drinking a pint of gasoline; but there's a new wing of far-left who roll Elon in with the Bernie bros and hate Tesla on some weird principle.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

poisonpill posted:

Also find this weird. The people who hate Tesla are usually guys who deny global warming, "Aww, you want to save the poor polar bears?" while drinking a pint of gasoline; but there's a new wing of far-left who roll Elon in with the Bernie bros and hate Tesla on some weird principle.

why do you think the left (outside of his thoughts of climate change) would love Elon Musk or Tesla, a luxury car company?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

TheBalor posted:

So it's just better?

Well it does cost more. But it's only a few hundred and if you were going to seriously use it versus the Juciero the Juicero costs tons more money for their juice packs even over like a month.

roymorrison posted:

how are people hating on the only new competition into the u.s. car industry?

Because their cars are bad, with apparently lousy quality control? Also lol at worshiping competition like some kinda moron.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

poisonpill posted:

Yea, gee, I wonder why the far left hates the tech bros, who are literally the modern day version of robber barons.

:iiam:

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005

fishmech posted:

Well it does cost more. But it's only a few hundred and if you were going to seriously use it versus the Juciero the Juicero costs tons more money for their juice packs even over like a month.

Because their cars are bad, with apparently lousy quality control? Also lol at worshiping competition like some kinda moron.

why are you just assuming i'm worshiping competition.

its an electric car that drives itself and people are talking about it in the thread for making fun of dumb tech poo poo

a mass produced electric self driving car.

its literally the loving future lmao and people are comparing it to a dumb juicer

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

roymorrison posted:

its an electric car that drives itself and people are talking about it in the thread for making fun of dumb tech poo poo

its literally the loving future lmao and people are comparing it to a dumb juicer

It's because both companies are making wild promises, one of them is just a bit more useful than the other.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

If you want to talk bad american electric car companies you should talk about Fisker imo. Does it even still exist?

fake edit: just checked and I guess it was bought by a Chinese firm that says a new version of the Karma is coming out any day now. So no.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

roymorrison posted:

Because you wrote

roymorrison posted:

how are people hating on the only new competition into the u.s. car industry?

Did you forget that?

roymorrison posted:

There's tons of other electric cars, and it doesn't really drive itself. If you try to treat it as if it does drive itself, it crashes into poo poo or your head gets lopped off by a passing tractor trailer.

I guess you're just easily impressed?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Deploy guillotines​ on fruit and vegetables, in my opinion.

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005

fishmech posted:

Because you wrote

Did you forget that?

There's tons of other electric cars, and it doesn't really drive itself. If you try to treat it as if it does drive itself, it crashes into poo poo or your head gets lopped off by a passing tractor trailer.

I guess you're just easily impressed?
so are you not impressed by self driving electric vehicles? i'm impressed that a newcomer was able to churn out something totally different in a pretty closed market, yeah. I mean it's no delorean i guess

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

WrenP-Complete posted:

Deploy guillotines​ on fruit and vegetables, in my opinion.

No, that'd effectively chop them. Too good for this thread.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

roymorrison posted:

so are you not impressed by self driving electric vehicles? i'm impressed that a newcomer was able to churn out something totally different in a pretty closed market, yeah. I mean it's no delorean i guess

No, I'm not impressed by cars where when people try to leave them to self-drive, they crash into things or get you decapitated. Most people would consider that a bad outcome.

Also Tesla has been in business for 14 years, that's quite a while. And what exactly is supposed to be pretty different about "expensive electric car" in your mind?

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005

fishmech posted:

No, I'm not impressed by cars where when people try to leave them to self-drive, they crash into things or get you decapitated. Most people would consider that a bad outcome.

Also Tesla has been in business for 14 years, that's quite a while. And what exactly is supposed to be pretty different about "expensive electric car" in your mind?

I didn't know it's been 14 years, but mostly the self driving features, I think the cars perform as well or better than any other electric vehicles on the market. They certainly look better. The ability to drive itself is the icing on the cake. No other companies that I know of are as far along with that as Tesla.

I really think you're reaching here fishmech. Is the model 3 overpriced? expensive compared to what? what kind of car do you drive? would you trade it for an electric car with 0 emissions that can drive itself? I'm not saying that's what a tesla is, I'm just saying that I'm impressed that someone is trying to do that.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

roymorrison posted:

I didn't know it's been 14 years, but mostly the self driving features, I think the cars perform as well or better than any other electric vehicles on the market. They certainly look better. The ability to drive itself is the icing on the cake. No other companies that I know of are as far along with that as Tesla.

I really think you're reaching here fishmech. Is the model 3 overpriced? expensive compared to what? what kind of car do you drive? would you trade it for an electric car with 0 emissions that can drive itself? I'm not saying that's what a tesla is, I'm just saying that I'm impressed that someone is trying to do that.

Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, all brands that have similar "self-driving" capability in their similarly expensive cars, at about the same time Tesla added it. But once again it's not real self driving because if you rely on it the car will crash or crash and kill you.

The Model 3 does not actually exist in production yet. It's also expensive compared to Chevy's new Bolt, which came out months ago, and is of higher build quality than what Tesla is promising. I drive rentals now on the rare occasions I need to drive, since my old Taurus finally broke.

Also you're pretty loving naive if you think Tesla is the only company that's been trying to make electric cars that drive themselves. That's something that car manufacturers have been trying to figure out since the 1930s, and nobody's really figured it out yet.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

fishmech posted:

Tesla's autopilot feature has ample warnings about how it should not be left unattended. Like, the thing will start to slow down the car if you take your hands off the steering wheel for more than 30 seconds or something, and there is noticeable audio alerts as well. If you keep ignoring the warnings, the feature will turn off until you park the car.

Seriously, aside from like one or two incidents, all the accidents Tesla drivers have gotten into while using auto pilot were the driver's fault. All of these cases have been well-documented by both Tesla and various investigating agencies.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Tesla's self driving programming is a tier below the leaders and probably on par with auto companies like Benz. I'll give them credit for making EVs sexy but not doing something revolutionary. from a sales standpoint, Musk is targeting 500K sales in 2018, they made 70K last year.

And Tesla absolutely falls into the category of a lovely tech company - exhibit 1. Management doing its absolute best to prevent its workers from unionising.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

roymorrison posted:

Zero emissions? Do the research on carbon emissions per mile for your specific energy market. If there any large portion of coal still, it's unlikely an electric car will vastly outperform a hybrid. It may win, but it'll be surprisingly close. General electric vehicle adoption really needs an overhaul of our whole power grid to be worth it.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
The car is fully sick to actually drive. A ton of fun

I'm never buying one though because lol at buying a car in general

Time fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

enraged_camel posted:

Tesla's autopilot feature has ample warnings about how it should not be left unattended. Like, the thing will start to slow down the car if you take your hands off the steering wheel for more than 30 seconds or something, and there is noticeable audio alerts as well. If you keep ignoring the warnings, the feature will turn off until you park the car.

Seriously, aside from like one or two incidents, all the accidents Tesla drivers have gotten into while using auto pilot were the driver's fault. All of these cases have been well-documented by both Tesla and various investigating agencies.

That's my point: it doesn't really self-drive, and if you try to use it as if it does you're going to have problems. So it's a bit weird for roymorrison to act like they've done something amazing by having it.

Karia posted:

Zero emissions? Do the research on carbon emissions per mile for your specific energy market. If there any large portion of coal still, it's unlikely an electric car will vastly outperform a hybrid. It may win, but it'll be surprisingly close. General electric vehicle adoption really needs an overhaul of our whole power grid to be worth it.

Even all coal power would have significantly less total emissions than a hybrid, and America's power grid is down to just 1/3 coal anyway.

Legally all electric vehicles are classified as zero emissions anyway, as they have no local emissions.