Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Is there anything on the XII, XIII, or II banners people are excited for?

FF13 banner 2 is the return of Raines burst. The rest of the banner is pretty good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Fran's and Larsa's bursts are both extremely good. Basch's burst is a vastly improved PCecil burst.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Thanks to the addition of Fujin and using RW leylines, I was able to beat my first torment D250!

FFvii down, I don't like my chances at he others.

I hope the upcoming XIII banner coincides with the anniversary. Raines is probably the top prize of all banners but if it appears in an anniversary banner than that will definitely affect my plans.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Fran's BSB is a decent prize, but there's nothing absolutely game-changing for a while. Decent prizes if you like the characters or realms, but nothing Shout-level.

Zurai posted:

Fran's and Larsa's bursts are both extremely good. Basch's burst is a vastly improved PCecil burst.

Larsa's Burst isn't til the Penelo event.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

People who have Maria's BSB would like her OSB, and people who want to build a poison team would like Leila's Burst, but past that the Emperor event is just another II event.

Vayne event isn't bad if you want basic XII gear, or want another shot at a pentabreak and/or the realm's only hastega, but compared to the VIII event and upcoming XIII/VII events it kinda fails to impress.

XIII event banner 1 is mostly for Light's BSB2 and another Transcendent Dream chance, but the second banner is a good mage banner, having most of what made the last event's banner 2 good plus Vanille's USB.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Fran's BSB on XII banner 1 is considered one of the better support BSBs and the banner is pretty solid overall. XIII banner 1 has Lightning's second (and much better) BSBs along with a built-in enwind SSB/wind-element OSB for Fang, plus a return of Vanille's excellent BSB. The II banners are reasonably good if you want more synergy for that realm but nothing amazing.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I have Fran's BSB in Japan and can confirm that it's really great. Allowing Pentabreak+full break+power breakdown+magic breakdown+mental breakdown all on one character is very potent. But I'd have to think hard about pulling on the upcoming banner, when I already have both of the Uniques and I'm not really wowed by the SSBs or OSB.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I want Ashe's BSB!

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
A dollar pull on one of these banners got me Lightning's Overture. It doesn't seem super great for a burst.

My wife pulled Seifer's burst off her dollar pull; her third after fishing pretty hard for Fujin's Chakram and not getting it. She's happy and sad about it.

Sesq fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 22, 2017

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion
I got Tifa's burst off the combat banner; I'm batting about .500 on dollar pulls since last Orbfest, and despite several 11-pulls, I think I have more relics from dollar pulls in that time. The 11 pulls have been really bad. Anyway, even with that luck, I don't think that other banner is worth the dollar. Even after reading the news post I'm not sure what the idea behind that banner is. If it was "here's equipment for the most used characters", you'd think they'd at least throw the Onion Bracers on there.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I know it's a combat nightmare record but I'm still kinda bummed I can't bring the Death Dames to any of the fights :(

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Select nightmare relic draw 100 gem got me a VI Flametongue which is pretty generic.

The other nightmare draw banner? 100 gem Yoshiyuki!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
$1 draw on the Combat Relic Draw got me Zell's Ehrgeiz.

Not sure if I want to bother tossing $1 at the Select Relic Draw. I have most of the stuff on there already, and outside of Faris's Bracers, I don't really care about the stuff on there I don't have.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I haven't kept track or anything but I haven't gotten anything off the dollar pull in god drat forever now. Not even sure I remember the last time.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

100 gems got me Tyro's BSB. Already have an 8* SG so this won't be massively useful or anything, but hey there will be times where this will be nice to have, and an extra 10 attack on Tyro is always nice to have

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Combo posted:

I haven't kept track or anything but I haven't gotten anything off the dollar pull in god drat forever now. Not even sure I remember the last time.

Nether have I. I've had poo poo luck on pretty much everything since pulling Orlandeau's OSB.

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 22, 2017

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Yeah, I stopped doing them a while ago. It took me over 30 tries to get a 5-star, then I got 2 in a row and that tricked me into doing a few more of them, but after another 10 or so with nothing to show for it I realized I probably would have been better off just doing a cash 11-pull. Decided a cash pull isn't even remotely worth what it costs, and that doing one a dollar at a time really wasn't any better.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

in fact it's legitimately worse because at least doing a cash 11 pull necessitates getting at least a single 5* and 33 individual dollar pulls carry no such guarantee as you mentioned

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Feb 22, 2017

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Not really, a cash 11-pull costs 3 times as much as ten 100 gem pulls

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Omega Drive has the blandest icon for a 6*, hard to find it amongst the other identical 'blue circle' abilities :effort:

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Okay, I didn't master it, but I completed my first Nightmare Dungeon! (Or at least enough of one to get the Cid reward). Seifer and Raijin made really short work of the Iron Giant. He was a jerk though and murdered Fujin costing me mastery :smith:

Getting through the rest of the Combat Nightmare is going to be more difficult...

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Okay, I didn't master it, but I completed my first Nightmare Dungeon! (Or at least enough of one to get the Cid reward). Seifer and Raijin made really short work of the Iron Giant. He was a jerk though and murdered Fujin costing me mastery :smith:

Getting through the rest of the Combat Nightmare is going to be more difficult...
Oh goodness, you're doing the one that came out today. Start with 1 o' clock, not 12, they go clockwise from there and are much, much easier in the old ones.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Oh goodness, you're doing the one that came out today. Start with 1 o' clock, not 12, they go clockwise from there and are much, much easier in the old ones.
Not only this, but doing the earlier Nightmare bosses will also get you a lot of major orbs that you can use to make/hone relevant abilities. (For instance, the final bosses of the two summon Nightmares practically require honed 3* and 4* summon abilities.)

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 22, 2017

Social Psychology
Mar 25, 2015
I have no self control

This is my first OSB, but unfortunately it seems to be one of the worst and Flame Fossil is a dupe. I guess I can take some comfort in the fact that it wasn't Tyro's book :v:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I got Raijin's BSB from the nightmare draw :confuoot:

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard
Wrath-Blink Rosa strikes paydirt again. In tandem with Raijin's Aura, I managed to eek out a mastery on Omega Weapon. I'm just glad OW's Nightmare Forsaken attack didn't pierce Last Stand, or else I was hosed. This Nightmare made me realize I am not as well equipped in single target Soul Breaks as I thought.

Here's my setup:

Lvl 82 Refia - Lifesiphon/Fires Within - Blazing Fists (so glad I dollar pulled this one) - Feral Might (Atk/Haste)
Lvl 82 Fang - Dragoon Jump/Lifesiphon - Aerial Loop (her only SB that didn't cause counters/resists) - Thief's Code (Haste)
Lvl 80 Rosa - Curaja/Wrath - Divine Heal (wrathable MBlink is so awesome) - Lionheart
Lvl 80 Raijin - Lifesiphon/Meteor Crush - Aura - Battleforged
Lvl 98 Tidus - Powerchain/Full Charge - Leap & Rush (I really wish Abes All-Star worked here, but welp) - Dr. Mog's Teachings

The first hurdle was getting past Phase 1 while only suffering two attacks, not exactly easy. I could've used Mako Might on Fang or Refia to jumpstart it, but I figured (and was right) that I'd need the extra SB meter later in the fight. Phase 2 was fairly straightforward, create a balance between hitting OW in the face and destroying orbs. Thanks to good timing on green orbs, Rosa didn't need to burn a medica in this phase besides right at the beginning. I was gassing out towards the end, with only about three uses of Lifesiphon and one of Fires Within across my attackers. Phase 3 was a butt-clencher of throwing out Auras alongside every scrap of SB meter I had left. Almost lost it when Rosa got hit back-to-back with a Nightmare Flare and then Meteor with no MBlink, but Last Stand saved the day again. I didn't know what was following his Nightmare Forsaken (650% piercing damage), but I didn't need to stick around to find out, thankfully.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Does Revenger remove Burst Mode at all? I'm wary of throwing around AoEs on the orbs, but I'm equally wary of firing Kain's BSB early only to not have access to the jump-enhancing commands when Omega Weapon changes phase.

Edit: Nope, just tried it with Balthier's BSB and he still had Burst Mode.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Feb 22, 2017

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Oh hey, an XI-based Nightmare fight where you can't use black magic if you want to master it. Guess I'll just leave Shantotto on the bench and use all my physical-oriented XI characters such as oh wait, Global doesn't have any because we're not allowed to have nice things that were part of collaboration events. :v:

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
So I beat the VII Torment Cid Mission today without any ridiculous wind gear or even a Hastega, based on a Reddit build I found. I did use a Boostga and a Medica, with some pretty solid stat sticks. It also took me many, many attempts to finish it. I didn't go into the fight bare-rear end naked, but I didn't have most of tools that make this trivial.

Here's how I did it, if anyone wants to take one last crack at it before it goes away tomorrow.

Vincent's magic is jacked up as high as I could get it, 510 with synergy gear and some 3* motes, with Bartz's wind damage RM3. He is the engine of damage. He pops Memento Mori and then Aerial Blast (not necessarily in that order, then spams the Attack 1 damage. When the burst runs out, use Meltdown and reapply Aerial Blast.I was doing about 22000 with the command attack, and 29997 with Meltdown with all the debuffs up. I beat the boss with 5 seconds on the doom timer.

Yuffie's just there to dance for magic and resistance breakdowns, and nothing else really. Do whatever feels best to keep the debuffs up and to keep her alive.

Cait Sith is there for backup healing and extra dancing. I gave him a shared medica, but never used it. I should've boosted his mind more, as the multibreak buff fell off pretty quickly. I wonder if I could have gotten away with replacing Curaja with Haste.

Aerith needs to come into the last round with at least one meter so she can use Seal Evil to silence the Soul Fires. After that, I used Planet Protector which made a crucial amount of difference with Cloud's damage output. You'll also need her to be ready to reapply Shell, as Gi Nattak will dispel it twice over the course of the fight. He's gonna wreck you with some harsh magic after that, so anticipate when he's going to do his dispel. Finally, I used her burst at some point, but it was mostly for the self-haste more than anything. I didn't really need to use her burst commands.

Cloud came into the fight with two meters and change, and no shots of Lifesiphon left. He killed most of the trash with Blade Beam, and continued to unload Blade Beam on Gi Nattak once Planet Protector was up. I have a 8 star Organics, which got me doing 180000 with Blade Beam and 5000 with Aero Strike. Basically use whoever can do the most raw damage in this slot. I would have liked to have used Tifa's burst, but Gi Nattak's immune to earth. The burst commands are earth and non-elemental, but they lose their teeth without EnEarth being a factor.

Everyone has KO resist gear except for Vincent, who needed as much magic as possible. I got lucky on the successful attempt since he did Meteor once and Gravija a bunch of times.

Sesq fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Feb 22, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

NGDBSS posted:

Does Revenger remove Burst Mode at all? I'm wary of throwing around AoEs on the orbs, but I'm equally wary of firing Kain's BSB early only to not have access to the jump-enhancing commands when Omega Weapon changes phase.

Edit: Nope, just tried it with Balthier's BSB and he still had Burst Mode.

It might remove the statbuff and definitely removes the En-lightning and Haste, but the actual burst commands are untouched, yeah.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

NGDBSS posted:

Not only this, but doing the earlier Nightmare bosses will also get you a lot of major orbs that you can use to make/hone relevant abilities. (For instance, the final bosses of the two summon Nightmares practically require honed 3* and 4* summon abilities.)

So, is it recommended to break apart the 5* Summon Orbs I've got from some of the dungeons in order to craft and hone 4* summons?

Which summons should I prioritize? I know Maduin/Valegor are supposed to be good NE damage although I can't tell the difference between them, and I've got relics for Hope and +Holy/high MAG relics that are probably going to make Alexander a priority. Any other crucial crafts at the 3* and 4* level for summons?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

-Grab the 3* summons. Their damage isn't the best at higher levels of play, but they're decent workhorses and work well enough to make a serious dent in Neo Bahamut. Also you'll need them for the gimmick.
-Generally Maduin is recommended for reasons of orb costs. (Valefor requires you to use a lot of major wind orbs.) In addition to that, grab Leviathan/Fat Chocobo/Alexander to help bypass Valigarmanda's barriers.
-As for a lightning-elemental option, Syldra is most efficient on orbs.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Cinnamon Bear posted:

So, is it recommended to break apart the 5* Summon Orbs I've got from some of the dungeons in order to craft and hone 4* summons?

Which summons should I prioritize? I know Maduin/Valegor are supposed to be good NE damage although I can't tell the difference between them, and I've got relics for Hope and +Holy/high MAG relics that are probably going to make Alexander a priority. Any other crucial crafts at the 3* and 4* level for summons?

Definitely crack those orbs - most people will probably recommend taking the basic 3* summons (Ifrit, Shiva, Ramuh) to R3 or R4, since it's very cheap and lets you hit the common weaknesses.

For 4*, Maduin or Valefor is definitely the one you should prioritize - after that a lot of it comes down to what kind of imperil / en-element effects you have at your disposal. Personally I probably use Alexander the most of the elemental 4* summons, just because so many bosses are weak to Holy and almost none resist it, and because I have a metric shitload of holy boosting gear. It sounds like you're definitely going to want him, too. Carbuncle isn't a bad one to have around, but I wouldn't call it a priority. It's been really handy in a couple of very gimmicky fights, but I've probably used it like twice in the past 3 months, and 1 hone was enough. Most of the time it would do more harm than good.

Valefor and Maduin are exactly the same - the difference is orb cost. Maduin looks much cheaper at first glance, but it requires a *lot* more greater summoning orbs than Valefor does (literally double, I believe), which is definitely going to be the bottleneck for honing any summon. The new dailies that are coming out...someday soon, I think, will finally add farmable summon orbs, but collecting enough to hone things is still going to be a giant pain in the balls. I'd probably recommend going with Valefor for that reason, even counting for the new dailies.

You pretty much have to hone summons to at least R3 before they become all that useful, since otherwise you end up gassing out really early on in the tougher fights unless your second skill slot is really well-honed.

edit: Valefor does need major wind orbs, but honestly I have waaaay more of those lying around than I do greater / major summoning orbs, by an extremely large margin. And it doesn't require *that* many to get him to R3. Summoning orbs don't compete with any other skill pool, but because of that, everything that does need them needs a gigantic shitload of them.

For comparison, here's the total cost to take them both to R5:

Maduin:

230 Greater Summon Orbs
115 Greater Non-Elemental Orbs

Valefor:

115 Greater Summon Orbs
58 Greater Non-Elemental Orbs
115 Greater Wind Orb
15 Major Wind Orbs

So Valefor is definitely more expensive in the end, by about 10 major orbs' worth, but personally I'd much rather farm wind orbs than 115 extra greater summoning orbs. Depending on what kind of gear you have and your team composition, it might be different for you. I'm always short on summoning and non-elemental orbs and usually have enough wind to do anything I want with them, so Valefor was an easy pick for me.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Feb 22, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

NGDBSS posted:

-As for a lightning-elemental option, Syldra is most efficient on orbs.

As a further clarification:

- Ixion is strongest
- Syldra is most orb efficient
- Quetzacotl has a Paralyze proc
- DeNA needs to give us fewer Lightning summons and more Fire/Ice summons I mean seriously

Also, now that dual-elementals are a thing, I'm still wondering why Syldra isn't Wind/Lightning now, to match what she was in her source game. It would make up for the fact she's definitely the least useful of the 4* Lightning summons.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I did the thing :toot:

OK with BSB and curaja/wrath
Beatrix with Seiken Shock and curada/lifesiphon
Tidus with OSB and chaincharge
Cloud with OSB and lifesiphon/drain strike
Raijin with BSB and lifesiphon/inner flame
RW: Shout

That was hilarious. Raijin was the main healer for all of phases 1 and 2, with OK and Beatrix backup healing when needed. Seiken Shock would take out an orb from full health by itself and also mblink the party, it was extremely useful.

I actually had to pause the game because I was laughing so hard at Raijin's fully-charged command 2 going "lol nope" to phase 3 and taking out 75% of its lifebar by itself.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

KataraniSword posted:

It might remove the statbuff and definitely removes the En-lightning and Haste, but the actual burst commands are untouched, yeah.
Upon further review (plus a bunch of bashing my head against the wall until I started grinding my SB gauges with hit-and-run), it does not touch enelement auras. I wasn't able to tell if it removed the burst stat buffs, but considering that I was softcapped on ATK merely with Shout I doubt that the distinction matterered. (Edit: Yep, it most likely does remove them :shrug:).

This one was a really weird gear check, and without hit-and-run I would have taken a lot longer to compensate for not having a lot of BSBs to choose from. As it was I had to depend on occasionally chaining Raijin's/Noel's SSBs for their instacast effects, allowing for fast BSB/medica casts to save my bacon.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Feb 22, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

NGDBSS posted:

This one was a really weird gear check, and without hit-and-run I would have taken a lot longer to compensate for not having a lot of BSBs to choose from. As it was I had to depend on occasionally chaining Raijin's/Noel's SSBs for their instacast effects, allowing for fast BSB/medica casts to save my bacon.

You'd be surprised about what you actually have available to choose from.

90% of the Combat 5* physical BSBs have either AoE (which gets the orbs mad) or random target (which only usually gets the orbs mad) entries. I think the only burst I owned that could get synergy and didn't risk getting me murdered was Warrior of Light's, which was vastly depreciated due to not having any reason to bring Wall. Raijin's is apparently good, too.

I ended up using Sephiroth not for Reunion, but instead for Black Materia. It was a weird sort of fight.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Definitely crack those orbs - most people will probably recommend taking the basic 3* summons (Ifrit, Shiva, Ramuh) to R3 or R4, since it's very cheap and lets you hit the common weaknesses.

For 4*, Maduin or Valefor is definitely the one you should prioritize - after that a lot of it comes down to what kind of imperil / en-element effects you have at your disposal. Personally I probably use Alexander the most of the elemental 4* summons, just because so many bosses are weak to Holy and almost none resist it, and because I have a metric shitload of holy boosting gear. It sounds like you're definitely going to want him, too. Carbuncle isn't a bad one to have around, but I wouldn't call it a priority. It's been really handy in a couple of very gimmicky fights, but I've probably used it like twice in the past 3 months, and 1 hone was enough. Most of the time it would do more harm than good.

Thanks for the summons breakdown! It feels good to finally start breaking into the next tier, and I've already got a few good summoners geared up. I think I'll probably wind up going for Valefor because it does seem easier to get the 5* wind orbs than more summoning orbs (of any quality) at this point.

Golbez is my highest level/furthest dived character, followed closely by Seifer and Rinoa at this point, but it looks like he can't use summons until I get ahold of 4* motes. And then the only Dark summon is a level higher than he can use, so I'm not sure how worthwhile that is.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

KataraniSword posted:

90% of the Combat 5* physical BSBs have either AoE (which gets the orbs mad) or random target (which only usually gets the orbs mad) entries. I think the only burst I owned that could get synergy and didn't risk getting me murdered was Warrior of Light's, which was vastly depreciated due to not having any reason to bring Wall. Raijin's is apparently good, too.

I ended up using Sephiroth not for Reunion, but instead for Black Materia. It was a weird sort of fight.

AOEs are fine if they kill the orbs, so it's only pure-elemental AOEs which should be really problematic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

KataraniSword posted:

AoE only gets the orbs mad if it doesn't kill them, though. Once I realized this I was perfectly fine with chucking Kain's BSB around in the second phase, as he was able to do ~21K damage (with enthunder aura from phase 1) to each target with the initial burst.

But in this case, I believe my Combat 5* characters with accessible BSBs were Balthier/Pecil/Kain/Leon/Noel. Raijin was just here for the sake of action advantage.

• Locked thread