Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 16 days!)

The widespread pro-Unionism and collaboration that actually existed in the South is a forgotten history that apparently nobody is interested in remembering.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Yeah, I know, and in time of peace that was fine, but the slave patrols were significantly diminished in number by how many men had been called away to the army, especially late in the war (which many rich planters who had evaded the draft via the twenty negro law were increasingly alarmed at). My bullshit counterfactual runs along the lines of if the war continued past 1865, what are the odds the enslaved population of the South would begin to at least act more aggressively to emancipate themselves, perhaps even rising in open revolt, particularly if we add in elements of outside assistance from Union saboteurs running guns to the slaves (yes I know white Northerners weren't that much keener on arming the slaves themselves shut up we're what-ifing).

If the war goes on past 1865 then there's a lot of contingent parts that wouldn't have happened either. Like Sherman not dividing the Confederacy through Georgia, or the Union not being able to take control of the Mississippi. Plus at that point you start getting into really weird territory like the Confederacy putting a serious effort into conscripting and arming slaves to fight the Union. Union saboteurs organizing a massive slave revolt is still going to be an insanely difficult undertaking because there's so many things that have to go right. Like for one, how are you gonna get enough weapons to the slaves without being discovered? Because if one slave master uncovers the conspiracy then they're all gonna figure it out. There's also the communication problem between plantations. How does the community at one plantation know when the uprising has started at another? How do they know the other uprising hasn't already been suppressed?

Haiti had the ideal conditions for a successful slave revolt. They were far from the home country, so it'd take a long time for the army to show up. The slaves had much shorter lifespans cultivating sugar cane, which meant they had nothing to lose. The slaves still retained their original languages, which meant they also had secret languages the masters couldn't understand that they could scheme and transmit coded messages with. There was a considerable class of freed half whites who could be used as a wedge in society, and which could bring in the expertise of a French education that slaves wouldn't be aware of. There were also several bands of escaped slaves living off the land who had been developing all the natural expertise in guerilla warfare that slave armies would need to take on conventional forces.

Trying to accomplish similar results in the Confederacy would be so insanely difficult that it'd rely on almost everything going right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Agean90 posted:

brain incompassing the whole universe: John Brown go on chapo

Chapo isn't a fan of identity politics

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Race Realists posted:

can someone explain to me why is it that "Gamer" has become synonymous with Reactionary Nerd? What exactly IS IT that makes "Good at Video Games" correlate to "Horrifyingly stupid opinions on women and minorities"? YouTube is just un-loving-belivable at this point

Video gaming has become mainstream when it was formerly an insular society full of edge 'ironic' racism and sexism. When playing games became a thing everyone talked about enjoying instead of a taboo thing for nerds, it made the people who felt their lovely culture was being eroded very mad and possibly sweaty because they're fat.

They were always reactionary nerds.

Race Realists posted:

is it GamerGate? is that the reason?

GamerGate was a cause celebre to the aforementioned tensions.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Anyone who identifies as a gamer should kill themselves.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Jose posted:

Anyone who identifies as a gamer should kill themselves.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Race Realists posted:

can someone explain to me why is it that "Gamer" has become synonymous with Reactionary Nerd? What exactly IS IT that makes "Good at Video Games" correlate to "Horrifyingly stupid opinions on women and minorities"? YouTube is just un-loving-belivable at this point

That is the reason yes.

zegermans posted:

Video gaming has become mainstream when it was formerly an insular society full of edge 'ironic' racism and sexism. When playing games became a thing everyone talked about enjoying instead of a taboo thing for nerds, it made the people who felt their lovely culture was being eroded very mad and possibly sweaty because they're fat.

They were always reactionary nerds.

I don't think the sexism and racism in video games has been any more prevalent than in the movies and general culture at any contemporary time.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

everything's been wacky since they made the frogs gay

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Rah! posted:

everything's been wacky since they made the frogs gay

things that can change their own sex on occasion cant be gay friendo they are just frogs. dont try to push your lovely binary gendered human things into the beautiful world of frogdom

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Jeb! Repetition posted:

That is the reason yes.

I don't think the sexism and racism in video games has been any more prevalent than in the movies and general culture at any contemporary time.

online games are the only place I still hear people screaming racial slurs on a daily basis, and I've seen a lot of general culture

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

the bitcoin of weed posted:

online games are the only place I still hear people screaming racial slurs on a daily basis, and I've seen a lot of general culture

Oh yeah if we're talking about the community and not just the products themselves that might be true. But it's also probably because the target demographic of a lot of games, angry male teenagers, more likely to say the worst thing they can when somebody beats them.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Oh yeah if we're talking about the community and not just the products themselves that might be true. But it's also probably because the target demographic of a lot of games, angry male teenagers, more likely to say the worst thing they can when somebody beats them.

boys will be boys

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

sneakyfrog posted:

things that can change their own sex on occasion cant be gay friendo they are just frogs. dont try to push your lovely binary gendered human things into the beautiful world of frogdom

sorry i forgot, i ate too much chili

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Rah! posted:

sorry i forgot, i ate too much chili

oh poo poo in that case my apologies.

do you have any more?

and i must meme
Jan 15, 2017
kill all gamers imo

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Yeah but that's mostly the people, not the game.

Video games aren't the cause of these people being horrible, it's just that they're the least common denominator activity. They attached to video games as their identity well before their culture turned them into human garbage.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I prefer GBS.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

McGlockenshire posted:

Yeah but that's mostly the people, not the game.

Video games aren't the cause of these people being horrible, it's just that they're the least common denominator activity. They attached to video games as their identity well before their culture turned them into human garbage.

well yeah nobody blames the games for gamers being reactionary lunatics, it's just the easiest way to isolate yourself from society these days

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Well I'm wrong about a lot of things, too

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Race Realists posted:

Because anyone with anything remotely redeeming in their life wouldn't primarily identify themselves based on media consumption

Coolness Averted has issued a correction as of 22:03 on Aug 1, 2017

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/Andywarski/status/890317086194585601

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

the youtube nobody asked for

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Bad video but the candidate it's about really is insane.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Al! posted:

the youtube nobody asked for

quote:

goddammit

every loving time

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

sneakyfrog posted:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

:frogon:

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Race Realists posted:

sort of yes, but ultimately no

Something Awful Lets Play Superstar "Slowbeef" actually wrote a decent article about how the underlying economics of the whole thing profoundly incentivize becoming a giant piece of poo poo.

1. you need to be consistent. the number one thing that builds subscribers is being regular. 1/week is the bare minimum; you're paid by the minute of content you put out there, so you need to be able to talk at length, about something.

2. the easiest source of delicious delicious high-engagement #content is saying things that will get other people mad at you, so you can then proceed to make your next several videos about how dare people overract so much to the perfectly defensible thing you said in your first video, and anyway these other personalities are such fuckers.

2.5. thanks to this breakneck pace, you have no time to workshop anything. you are going to gently caress up. you are going to crack jokes that were well-intended but misfired like a motherfucker. but courtesy of #2, the best way to react to that, from a financial perspective, is to feed the drama furnace.

3. your primary source of audience feedback, the people who you will listen to most day-to-day about what kind of #content is good, is going to be the people who comment on youtube, about video games.

numbers one and two are why youtubers in general are poo poo. number three is why gaming youtube becomes poo poo, because for the last *obnoxiously pretends to check watch* thirty years the vast majority of video game marketing has been centered around making Person Who Plays Video Games a cultural identity for men with disposable income and a lot of spare time for toys. American and European socioeconomics being American and European socioeconomics, don't tell anybody, that translates almost directly into "white" and "socially awkward."

soooo, if you want to say something controversial, that won't offend your audience, but will get you a couple of week's worth of delicious delicious #content? start talking about how society's oppressing white men, thanks to the economics involved it's effectively printing money.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

saw 'frogdom' and went looking for frog-themed bdsm gear, found nothing, gave up and posted weird mask

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Grand Prize Winner posted:

saw 'frogdom' and went looking for frog-themed bdsm gear, found nothing, gave up and posted weird mask

drat and i was hoping for a frog themed derail. :smithfrog:

but no im not a furry... er.. slimey i guess.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

sneakyfrog posted:

yeah it just makes then sterial females and as a owner of frogs, i dont think their minds are complex enough gendered thoughts period. they just happily sit or hop or eat or poo poo/piss. also they dont have external gentials. the male sits on the females back and shits jizz on the the eggs as she shitts them out.

sneakyfrog posted:

drat and i was hoping for a frog themed derail. :smithfrog:

but no im not a furry... er.. slimey i guess.

you have any frogs? my gf got me into them, they are pretty cool pets and some are pretty friendly.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ze Pollack posted:

sort of yes, but ultimately no

Something Awful Lets Play Superstar "Slowbeef" actually wrote a decent article about how the underlying economics of the whole thing profoundly incentivize becoming a giant piece of poo poo.

1. you need to be consistent. the number one thing that builds subscribers is being regular. 1/week is the bare minimum; you're paid by the minute of content you put out there, so you need to be able to talk at length, about something.

2. the easiest source of delicious delicious high-engagement #content is saying things that will get other people mad at you, so you can then proceed to make your next several videos about how dare people overract so much to the perfectly defensible thing you said in your first video, and anyway these other personalities are such fuckers.

2.5. thanks to this breakneck pace, you have no time to workshop anything. you are going to gently caress up. you are going to crack jokes that were well-intended but misfired like a motherfucker. but courtesy of #2, the best way to react to that, from a financial perspective, is to feed the drama furnace.

3. your primary source of audience feedback, the people who you will listen to most day-to-day about what kind of #content is good, is going to be the people who comment on youtube, about video games.

numbers one and two are why youtubers in general are poo poo. number three is why gaming youtube becomes poo poo, because for the last *obnoxiously pretends to check watch* thirty years the vast majority of video game marketing has been centered around making Person Who Plays Video Games a cultural identity for men with disposable income and a lot of spare time for toys. American and European socioeconomics being American and European socioeconomics, don't tell anybody, that translates almost directly into "white" and "socially awkward."

soooo, if you want to say something controversial, that won't offend your audience, but will get you a couple of week's worth of delicious delicious #content? start talking about how society's oppressing white men, thanks to the economics involved it's effectively printing money.

pretty much. being an alt right youtube "skeptic"/gamer/fuckhead, makes money and online liberals are easy to provoke(for better or worse) which will bring you more attention. then you just make bank buy talking poo poo for an 3 hours.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Dapper_Swindler posted:

you have any frogs? my gf got me into them, they are pretty cool pets and some are pretty friendly.

nah, i have 4 dogs and 3 cats little aquarium or terrarium friends is a bridge too far at this point as far as pet responsibilities go

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sneakyfrog posted:

nah, i have 4 dogs and 3 cats little aquarium or terrarium friends is a bridge too far at this point as far as pet responsibilities go

ah ok. honestly they are pretty easy, dump in some crickets every few days and maybe clean the tank(unless viverium) once a month. if you buy from a breeder, pick carefully. 2 frogs i got from the same breeders/store died badly.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

pretty much. being an alt right youtube "skeptic"/gamer/fuckhead, makes money and online liberals are easy to provoke(for better or worse) which will bring you more attention. then you just make bank buy talking poo poo for an 3 hours.

the grand money bagging tradition of being divisive/contrarian, but now within the context of NEETs for those sweet sweet eyeball dollars

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
Speaking of youtube outrage, they've just announced some new tools to fight content they've identified as expressing radical views and hate speech.

quote:

More experts: Of course, our systems are only as good as the the data they’re based on. Over the past weeks, we have begun working with more than 15 additional expert NGOs and institutions through our Trusted Flagger program, including the Anti-Defamation League, the No Hate Speech Movement, and the Institute for Strategic Dialogue. These organizations bring expert knowledge of complex issues like hate speech, radicalization, and terrorism that will help us better identify content that is being used to radicalize and recruit extremists. We will also regularly consult these experts as we update our policies to reflect new trends. And we’ll continue to add more organizations to our network of advisors over time.

Tougher standards: We’ll soon be applying tougher treatment to videos that aren’t illegal but have been flagged by users as potential violations of our policies on hate speech and violent extremism. If we find that these videos don’t violate our policies but contain controversial religious or supremacist content, they will be placed in a limited state. The videos will remain on YouTube behind an interstitial, won’t be recommended, won’t be monetized, and won’t have key features including comments, suggested videos, and likes. We’ll begin to roll this new treatment out to videos on desktop versions of YouTube in the coming weeks, and will bring it to mobile experiences soon thereafter. These new approaches entail significant new internal tools and processes, and will take time to fully implement.

I wonder how long it will take for the chuds to break it. The ADL is involved, so they're pissed off.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

think about Cernovich. he's skyrocketed to real deal fame because "leftists" (i'm not gonna say liberal anymore, its become as useless and dumb as the word hipster) can't stop posting and hatewatching everything he does

spronkles
Jun 2, 2013

McGlockenshire posted:

Speaking of youtube outrage, they've just announced some new tools to fight content they've identified as expressing radical views and hate speech.

I wonder how long it will take for the chuds to break it. The ADL is involved, so they're pissed off.

Nazis are more reliant on YouTube than Saudis are on oil. The gently caress they gonna do now?

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

McGlockenshire posted:

lol if they demonetize hate speech videos it would completely cripple the worst of the shitheads, this rules

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

there must be a nazi-friendly youtube clone by now, they can all go there, i'm sure it'll be just as good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

lol if they demonetize hate speech videos it would completely cripple the worst of the shitheads, this rules

i work in that industry (kill me) and facebook/google are sincerely trying very hard to kick the nazis off their platforms

why? it aint ethics. its because companies like unilever are pulling millions of ad dollars off their networks because their ads are getting shown in front of nazi videos. nazis are not "brand friendly"

god bless...capitalism?