Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

soviet elsa posted:

I’m baffled at this site really thinking I/P is some slam dunk loss for Biden among young people. I am not really young anymore, but I am under thirty, and I am taking two undergrad classes at UNT. The vast majority of actual young people think the protests are annoying, with variants between “please get out of my way, I just want to go to class, this is useless” even among pro-Palestine people to “good” when the cops come.

Then factor in this is already the least likely demographic to vote, and the angriest were probably not voting Biden anyway,

I don't think it's a slam dunk at all with just young people but due to the electoral college I really do think it puts him in danger of losing - Like states are are confidently blue will continue to be so. And as far as a voting bloc goes, the Arab vote is not large, and the number within that who will also not vote because of this is even smaller. But like Michigan as an example - which is considered important - I could realistically see him losing over it.

Meanwhile votes he loses if he comes out and says "Israel has the right to defend itself, but this is genocide so it has to stop" or even the most basic thing like that, is not going to lose him any state he wasn't already losing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Nucleic Acids posted:

Joe Biden’s career long belief in Zionism is unique even compared to men like Harry Truman, and he has been an enthusiastic participant in and supporter of Israel’s decades long genocidal campaign against the Palestinian people, long, long before this latest phase.

I think this take has been posted like a dozen times in this thread and it's never really made any sense, especially considering that until recently, effectively everyone in America backed Israel's decades-long genocidal campaign. Hell, we have a presidential candidate who says that Biden isn't going nearly far enough and should be actively genociding the Palestinians.

Biden may have said "I am a Zionist" (which is bad) but he's not the most extreme president by a longshot. He said that while saying that he wants peace and less genocide. The other candidate has accused him of throwing Israel under the bus for holding back a single arm's sale!

Gripweed posted:

Proving that he didn’t sound like a confused old man? That’s the upside of releasing it, the downside of not releasing it is that everyone will assume that Biden really did sound like a confused old man.

We have the transcript and that laid to rest the Biden Is Senile nonsense. There's nothing to gain from willingly giving Republicans a way to reignite the attack.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1791152464617431389

I was a pretty serious legalization activist in college ~20 years ago, given the state of play at the turn of the century it's insane to hear the president of the United States say things like this. I was always 50/50 on if decriminalization would happen in my life time, now it seems like a certainty. Remarkable.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Putting the proposed marijuana rule up in the federal register has officially moved from soon to Soon:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/16/politics/joe-biden-marijuana-rules/index.html

quote:

President Joe Biden’s administration on Thursday took another step toward reclassifying marijuana as a lower-risk substance, opening for public comment its proposed loosening of federal rules in a step the president deemed “monumental.”

“Today my administration took a major step to reclassify marijuana from a Schedule I to a Schedule III drug,” Biden said in a video posted to social media. “It’s an important move towards reversing longstanding inequities.”

It was Biden’s first time speaking out about the proposed rescheduling since his Justice Department recommended in April that marijuana be rescheduled as a Schedule III controlled substance, a classification shared by prescription drugs such as ketamine and Tylenol with codeine.

The notice of proposed rulemaking:

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justice-department-submits-proposed-regulation-reschedule-marijuana

https://www.dea.gov/sites/default/files/2024-05/Scheduling%20NPRM%20508.pdf

Spoiler: the DEA gets the bureaucratic equivalent of snippy a bunch of times, complaining they think the HHS recommendation goes too far but they couldn't just reject it.

Once it's officially posted, the sixty day public comment period starts ticking, so, late July for the next and possibly last phase. If DOJ is mostly happy with the rule after the public and outside experts have had a chance to weigh in, it could go into effect thirty-ish days after the comment period closes - so early September or so.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Will Schedule 3 permit legal banking services for suppliers & retailers, or does that need an act of Congress?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Transparency in the federal government is good, but giving things to Republicans for free so that they can cut an attack ad of every time Biden says "um" would, shall we say, be extremely stupid.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Welp, if you want it legalized vote joe

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Important downward-trending statistic: number of hot gays fucks what congress says given

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

haveblue posted:

Important downward-trending statistic: number of hot gays fucks what congress says given

Coinciding with the number of hot gay fucks occurring in Congress rising this term.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Willa Rogers posted:

Will Schedule 3 permit legal banking services for suppliers & retailers, or does that need an act of Congress?

i think it would need an act of congress, but in good news for the dispensary industry rescheduling marijuana will allow vendors to take major tax deductions that they previously have been barred from

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Willa Rogers posted:

Yes, but only if they are doing it for medical purposes.

Purely recreational business activity would require an act of congress.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I guess in theory Biden could just release it in it's entirety now just not give it to Congress.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Kchama posted:

I think this take has been posted like a dozen times in this thread and it's never really made any sense, especially considering that until recently, effectively everyone in America backed Israel's decades-long genocidal campaign. Hell, we have a presidential candidate who says that Biden isn't going nearly far enough and should be actively genociding the Palestinians.

Biden may have said "I am a Zionist" (which is bad) but he's not the most extreme president by a longshot. He said that while saying that he wants peace and less genocide. The other candidate has accused him of throwing Israel under the bus for holding back a single arm's sale!

We have the transcript and that laid to rest the Biden Is Senile nonsense. There's nothing to gain from willingly giving Republicans a way to reignite the attack.

It's a retread of the tedious arguments of 2020-2022 that Joe Biden to this date is Drug Warrior Prime and will never give an inch on legal weed, a Pinkerton to the bone who will smash down any union that pokes its head up, a man who requires student loan debt to achieve orgasm and will not forgive a dime. Whatever bad thing he has ever touched, however legitimate the real criticism, in the story he is the biggest and greatest villain the field has seen. Were it happening on larger venues than this I would wonder if his publicity team was doing some whispering trash talk to make his actual actions look rosier than they are, but really it's just tiresome hyperbole.

Similarly, this is far from the first Biden flavored rehash of the old "Of course Obama's American and the long form birth certificate will put it to bed forever" fishing story, though most of the others I recall still relate to his stubborn refusal to act as senile as we were promised he already couldn't hide in 2019.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Yes, but only if they are doing it for medical purposes.

Purely recreational business activity would require an act of congress.

"Only if they are doing it for medical purposes" meaning they can use banking for expenses related to serving med customers if they also do recreational, or "if they are doing it only for medical purposes" meaning the dispensary has to be medical-only to qualify for banking?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Willa Rogers posted:

"Only if they are doing it for medical purposes" meaning they can use banking for expenses related to serving med customers if they also do recreational, or "if they are doing it only for medical purposes" meaning the dispensary has to be medical-only to qualify for banking?

They have to register with the DEA and act like a regular pharmacy that fills prescriptions for medical purposes to get banking protections - the same way businesses distributing steroids or ketamine for medical purposes do. They would likely have to split off their recreational business funds. Technically, the DEA and Treasury Department are going to release updated rules regarding this later. Under current law, they can't use interstate banking systems if they are purely recreational. If they are a mix of medical and recreational, then the DEA and Treasury rulemaking will determine exactly what that means. The most likely outcome is they have to segregate their funds from the recreation side or formally spin it off into a separate business.

Both recreational and medical dispensaries will now be able to claim 280E business deductions that they were formally not allowed to take because they were selling a schedule I drug.

Edit: Visa and other payment processors also need to change their policies to fix the "all cash" problem.

quote:

The second issue, that marijuana transactions occur almost entirely in cash, is a payment processing problem created by the reality that major credit card companies will not service marijuana businesses. To get cash out of the system, the cannabis industry needs Visa, Mastercard, and other credit card companies to change their internal policies. While Schedule III will not make existing marijuana companies legal, it does send an important cultural signal that the federal government continues to reform its stance on cannabis and the legal risk of handling the financial transactions of state-licensed marijuana companies may be further reduced.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 16, 2024

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

zoux posted:

Well, it's one of the least important issue to most americans

But maybe the polls are wrong about that too

But this thread has assured me that polls are meaningless! I know a bunch of people who care about this issue, ergo I am justified in believing with certainty that the polls are wrong and everyone considers it a very important issue.

Or are they only meaningless when they show Biden losing? Now I'm confused about which polls need to be unskewed based on anecdotal evidence.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
According to YouGov, 56% of Americans have tried weed, 24% have done so in the last year, and 17% in the last month.

56% is kind of surprising to me actually? I kind of figured it would be high but not more than half.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Gnumonic posted:

But this thread has assured me that polls are meaningless! I know a bunch of people who care about this issue, ergo I am justified in believing with certainty that the polls are wrong and everyone considers it a very important issue.

Or are they only meaningless when they show Biden losing? Now I'm confused about which polls need to be unskewed based on anecdotal evidence.

when people say the polls are meaningless, it means that polls that are too far out from the election are pretty much useless in terms of predicting the result of the election.

It doesn't mean the polls are lies, and if you are trying to get a handle on what people care about *right now* they are pretty much the best thing you've got. Of course, related to the above, its also possible for Palestine to become more and more important to voters as the election approaches.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

when people say the polls are meaningless, it means that polls that are too far out from the election are pretty much useless in terms of predicting the result of the election.

It doesn't mean the polls are lies, and if you are trying to get a handle on what people care about *right now* they are pretty much the best thing you've got.

General election polls as in "who will you vote for" can vary quite a bit this far from the election before the campaigns start.
Polls such as "what issues are important to you" are less affected by campaigning, this isn't a complex matter overall.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Kchama posted:

Men like Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush were willing to yank on Israel's leash when they felt it necessary. Joe Biden, on the other hand, once sand-bagged Hillary Clinton from the right on West Bank settlements during Obama's term. And I would say that, in fact, he is actively genociding Palestinians right now through his continued arms sales (another one billion dollar one was just announced), so saying he wants peace and less genocide is ultimately meaningless.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

AsInHowe posted:

That's generally the mood I am seeing too. It's angry fundamentalism in a different wrapper, like the worst of the worst anti-abortion people.

If someone made this exact claim about Biden supporters they'd be probated immediately.

Goes to show where the discourse is these days, even here.

Also I have to admit I was wrong about Kristi Noems dog murderer status and the effect it would have on her career. Turns out the fascists do have standards, buried down far beneath the crust of the Earth.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Boris Galerkin posted:

According to YouGov, 56% of Americans have tried weed, 24% have done so in the last year, and 17% in the last month.

56% is kind of surprising to me actually? I kind of figured it would be high but not more than half.

Pretty sure it's even higher to be honest. That's just the amount of people who're comfortable admitting trying weed.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Gnumonic posted:

There's a difference between a poll asking "who will you vote for 6 months from now" and "what's your opinion on this issue right now."

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

SurveyUSA has been polling Minnesota likely voters & for the second month Biden leads Trump by only 2 percent.

What has changed in the state to turn it from true-blue to vivid purple this cycle? Any Minnesotans who can explain this?

Parenthetically, it's yet another survey & pollster showing Biden overwhelmingly supported by boomers (+20 percent), Trump overwhelmingly supported by xers (+13 percent), and millies/zoomers virtually tied.

The sample is fairly small (n=625; moe = 4.3) but the generational trends emerging across so many polls is really weird bc they're so counter to conventional wisdom.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Another pier article:

https://apnews.com/article/israel-hamas-war-gaza-aid-us-pier-9414c4148285917f1c858b9590117a84

The thing in this one: Fuel. It looks like the Israelis are preventing the aid organizations from getting fuel to deliver. If they can’t get it, visually cargo will begin to accumulate quickly on the shore, or the ships will be obviously not moving on the AIS.

If I were dealing with that bullshit. A solution would be to load a couple of ISO container tanks full of gasoline and set up a fueling station for the aid trucks or to just slap a fuel truck on a flat rack to discharge ashore that can fill them up.

My estimate is that by Sat or Sun we will be seeing aid is entering Gaza news articles or what the gently caress why isn’t aid entering Gaza news articles.

Should know pretty soon here. Everybody is watching at this point. It will be super visually obvious if aid is moving or not, both locally and by satellite. The Sagamore should go back and forth on a regular schedule between the pier and Cyprus and should be visible on AIS the whole time. And if they do gently caress with fuel availability on the Gaza side something can be done about that.

So everybody’s cards will be on the table in days and we will see who was bluffing.

Sea conditions look good through the end of the month. So i expect no further interruptions there in the short term.

https://www.tide-forecast.com/tide/Ashdod/sea-conditions

Longer term that could be a problem when it gets to be fall if all this is still going on. They would need build up aid in storage before fall and winter and the worse sea states if this all is still ongoing.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Willa Rogers posted:

SurveyUSA has been polling Minnesota likely voters & for the second month Biden leads Trump by only 2 percent.

What has changed in the state to turn it from true-blue to vivid purple this cycle? Any Minnesotans who can explain this?

Parenthetically, it's yet another survey & pollster showing Biden overwhelmingly supported by boomers (+20 percent), Trump overwhelmingly supported by xers (+13 percent), and millies/zoomers virtually tied.

The sample is fairly small (n=625; moe = 4.3) but the generational trends emerging across so many polls is really weird bc they're so counter to conventional wisdom.

Minnesota had +4 and +5 polls before during the 2020 election and Biden has had +8 results earlier this year; but also only went +2 for Hillary Clinton in 2016; while Biden carried the state with Obama numbers in 2020. I don't think the race there is actually narrowing.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Weed getting rescheduled is good. I went to see Tim Robinson while packed to the gills on gummies and I believe everyone should experience something like that at least once.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Another pier article:

https://apnews.com/article/israel-hamas-war-gaza-aid-us-pier-9414c4148285917f1c858b9590117a84

The thing in this one: Fuel. It looks like the Israelis are preventing the aid organizations from getting fuel to deliver. If they can’t get it, visually cargo will begin to accumulate quickly on the shore, or the ships will be obviously not moving on the AIS.

If I were dealing with that bullshit. A solution would be to load a couple of ISO container tanks full of gasoline and set up a fueling station for the aid trucks or to just slap a fuel truck on a flat rack to discharge ashore that can fill them up.

My estimate is that by Sat or Sun we will be seeing aid is entering Gaza news articles or what the gently caress why isn’t aid entering Gaza news articles.

Should know pretty soon here. Everybody is watching at this point. It will be super visually obvious if aid is moving or not, both locally and by satellite. The Sagamore should go back and forth on a regular schedule between the pier and Cyprus and should be visible on AIS the whole time. And if they do gently caress with fuel availability on the Gaza side something can be done about that.

So everybody’s cards will be on the table in days and we will see who was bluffing.

Sea conditions look good through the end of the month. So i expect no further interruptions there in the short term.

https://www.tide-forecast.com/tide/Ashdod/sea-conditions

Longer term that could be a problem when it gets to be fall if all this is still going on. They would need build up aid in storage before fall and winter and the worse sea states if this all is still ongoing.
My assumption, based on how Israel has handled aid shipments so far, is that they are going to prevent any aid from reaching anyone via that pier and this will all have been a massive waste of time, manpower, and resources.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Alito flew an inverted flag in Jan of 2020

quote:

The upside-down flag was aloft on Jan. 17, 2021, the images showed. President Donald J. Trump’s supporters, including some brandishing the same symbol, had rioted at the Capitol a little over a week before. Mr. Biden’s inauguration was three days away. Alarmed neighbors snapped photographs, some of which were recently obtained by The New York Times. Word of the flag filtered back to the court, people who worked there said in interviews.

While the flag was up, the court was still contending with whether to hear a 2020 election case, with Justice Alito on the losing end of that decision. In coming weeks, the justices will rule on two climactic cases involving the storming of the Capitol on Jan. 6, including whether Mr. Trump has immunity for his actions. Their decisions will shape how accountable he can be held for trying to overturn the last presidential election and his chances for re-election in the upcoming one.

“I had no involvement whatsoever in the flying of the flag,” Justice Alito said in an emailed statement to The Times. “It was briefly placed by Mrs. Alito in response to a neighbor’s use of objectionable and personally insulting language on yard signs.”

If they're going to act like an ecclesiastical court passing policy by fiat from atop the sacred mountain, they should at least be celibate, as we know at least 2 SCOTUS wives are maximally redpilled insane people. (Also I don't believe Alito anyway)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That would not at all be a surprise considering how much of a GOP partisan Alito has been on the court since day one of his time there.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
so what do countries that have flags with inverted symmetry do?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Hang it inside out

John Yossarian
Aug 24, 2013
I don't understand how the Supreme Court can have so much power. They can pretty much do anything and they won't even lose their jobs. They're has to be a breaking point where people won't take this anymore, right?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
The worthlessness of that pier was made even more obvious the moment they decided to build it right where a bunch of people were living, and proceeded to force them out of their homes just to bulldoze the entire area flat.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

John Yossarian posted:

I don't understand how the Supreme Court can have so much power. They can pretty much do anything and they won't even lose their jobs. They're has to be a breaking point where people won't take this anymore, right?
My assumption was them killing Roe v. Wade would be the final straw, but now that they have seen that there was no real consequence for them doing that, it's going to get much worse from here on out

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

John Yossarian posted:

Ideally one of the other two co-equal branches of government would step in and reign them in, either by impeachment, expanding the court and nominating new members to dilute the power of the current sitting judges, or challenge the honorless dogs to a duel.
Unfortunately since Newt Gingrich’s contract on America in 1994 congress has been steadily rendered impotent by deliberate bad actors keen on setting up a permanent majority of right wing power and you are seeing its culmination.
It is kind of hilarious that a duel is more likely than an impeachment and removal of a Supreme Court justice who’s demonstrably corrupt.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Nucleic Acids posted:

Men like Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush were willing to yank on Israel's leash when they felt it necessary. Joe Biden, on the other hand, once sand-bagged Hillary Clinton from the right on West Bank settlements during Obama's term. And I would say that, in fact, he is actively genociding Palestinians right now through his continued arms sales (another one billion dollar one was just announced), so saying he wants peace and less genocide is ultimately meaningless.

And Biden isn't willing to yank on Israel's leash? He's done it in basically the exact same way: He stopped an arm shipment to get them to stop in Rafah. Is it enough? Absolutely not. But again, compared to Trump whose position is that we could be a LOT more pro-Israel and Palestine could be a lot more genocided now so Biden should stop throwing Israel under the bus, it's a hell of a lot more leash-yanking.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

John Yossarian posted:

Not sure if you're talking about anything specific, but in general, it's because the primary check on its power is Congress. Congress goes up for elections every two years, and the frequent turnover and partisan feuding means that Congress tends to be unable to stick to one position as long as SCOTUS does. And of course these days we've got this completely broken Congress that does jack poo poo all.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm not really seeing how Biden in one possible framing of the contrast between him and Ronald Reagan on the matter where he's allegedly less willing to put himself out there to tell Israel to knock it off makes him like this uniquely pro-Israel and pro-Zionist for a politician. He has some relatively milk toast rhetoric on the matter that's on par with many mainstream politicians of the time that really just in context reads like just a normal politician courting votes from a critical electoral demographic.

Main Paineframe posted:

Not sure if you're talking about anything specific, but in general, it's because the primary check on its power is Congress. Congress goes up for elections every two years, and the frequent turnover and partisan feuding means that Congress tends to be unable to stick to one position as long as SCOTUS does. And of course these days we've got this completely broken Congress that does jack poo poo all.

Yeah, if both the executive branch and congress really wanted to, they could force SCOTUS to back down. The problem of course is there's not enough of a electoral/political mandate to do so; the closest the US has been in modern history was under FDR and ultimately FDR got to replace some of the judges anyways in time to get stuff passed.

e:

Fart Amplifier posted:

Congress could establish a new court and kill SCOTUS's appellate jurisdiction. Not sure why this never comes up

Realistically this is never happening; there is in practice no "one weird trick" to destroy the separation of powers forever.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Congress could establish a new court and kill SCOTUS's appellate jurisdiction. Not sure why this never comes up