Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

catlord posted:

Does this look better or worse than the weird mobile Commander Keen they tried to sell us on a few years ago, I can't decide

Better but not by much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manero
Jan 30, 2006

I love the top-down idea mixed with Doom, as a mobile app, probably not so much :(

Back in the Half-Life modding days, I wanted to make a Smash TV mod for HL, but I didn't know how to code back then, let alone try to get a 3rd-person camera view.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

manero posted:

I love the top-down idea mixed with Doom, as a mobile app, probably not so much :(

Back in the Half-Life modding days, I wanted to make a Smash TV mod for HL, but I didn't know how to code back then, let alone try to get a 3rd-person camera view.

Check out Enter the Gungeon.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
that reminds me how mad i was when i discovered jupiter hell was turn based and not a twin stick shooter

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

site posted:

that reminds me how mad i was when i discovered jupiter hell was turn based and not a twin stick shooter

Same

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

SeANMcBAY posted:

Check out Enter the Gungeon.

That game sucks

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

verbal enema posted:

That game sucks

I prefer Binding of Isaac over all but it’s a decent top down shooter roguelike imo.

GuyonthecoucH
Apr 10, 2004

manero posted:

https://www.moddb.com/games/codename-loop/news/codename-loop-is-coming-to-steam

This very idea is coming to steam eventually thanks to a modder.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

manero posted:

Same.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
A Doom styled Vampire Survivors would’ve been so cool, that’s what I thought it was gonna be. Alas.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

RyokoTK posted:

A Doom styled Vampire Survivors would’ve been so cool, that’s what I thought it was gonna be. Alas.

I have brainworms cause I'm kind of salivating at the thought of this.

Also I still unironically want the Doom match 3 from 2016 as a real game. :colbert:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

manero posted:

:same:

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

catlord posted:

Does this look better or worse than the weird mobile Commander Keen they tried to sell us on a few years ago, I can't decide

Better, considering the Commander Keen game disappeared from existence shortly after they revealed it. They even had a release date, and the reaction led them to wipe all traces of it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

RyokoTK posted:

Why would you put this in my head

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
https://twitter.com/dosnostalgic/status/1628213940894179332?s=20

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
<taps the “teleglitch is the top down doom/quake of your dreams” sign>

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
You know, looking back at '90s/2000s game ads, they were loving weird.

Tim Thomas posted:

<taps the “teleglitch is the top down doom/quake of your dreams” sign>

I dunno, it's got a bit more survival horror than I'd expect of that, with the having to ready your weapon and fiddle around with inventory, and general movement speed and limited sight lines.

But then again, I'm real loving bad at Teleglitch, despite the amount of time I've put into it.

catlord fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 22, 2023

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I was watching Icarus' latest video and had no idea that Turbo Overkill added your own personal Ion Cannon and a telefragging sniper rifle to its arsenal. Can't wait for the full thing and it's kinda wild that this is by the same guy who made that survival horror Doom mod.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
How do people here feel about Arx Fatalis? Immserive sim from the era of Stephen Russell is Everywhere.
I'm about halfway through, and cheating with a console command to increase my movespeed when I'm not in combat has improved my experience a ton. I like the exploration but the guy moves like a snail

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

verbal enema posted:

That game sucks

You suck and are a boob and also an idiot :hellyeah:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

HolyKrap posted:

How do people here feel about Arx Fatalis? Immserive sim from the era of Stephen Russell is Everywhere.
I'm about halfway through, and cheating with a console command to increase my movespeed when I'm not in combat has improved my experience a ton. I like the exploration but the guy moves like a snail

Sadly my attempts to play it have been stymied by the Arx Libertatis installer continuning to get flagged as a virus and me not being certain if I really should add it as an exception to get around that on the off-chance the installer has been compromised.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Angry_Ed posted:

Sadly my attempts to play it have been stymied by the Arx Libertatis installer continuning to get flagged as a virus and me not being certain if I really should add it as an exception to get around that on the off-chance the installer has been compromised.
Yeah I did some digging on that, seems that it's a pretty hefty false positive that the developer is having trouble getting sorted with AV companies, it has an exe that checks if your system is 32 or 64 bit. One AV even detects the readme as a ransom note.
https://arx-libertatis.org/irclogs/2022/%23arx.2022-10-23.log
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1700/discussions/0/4748497451439187461/

I grabbed it directly from here, has been working fine
https://arx-libertatis.org/

It's really great to see it run so well too. Easy install, hud scaling, high framerate without any weird physics issues, and OpenAL Soft for HRTF audio

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
It’s not uncommon for mods to older games to get tagged as false positives is my understanding, since they do stuff that looks like virus/malware techniques (ie dll injection) as their way to mod games that would otherwise be unpatchable.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mordja posted:

I was watching Icarus' latest video and had no idea that Turbo Overkill added your own personal Ion Cannon and a telefragging sniper rifle to its arsenal. Can't wait for the full thing and it's kinda wild that this is by the same guy who made that survival horror Doom mod.

I bought this game on the xmas steam sale and was pumped... but it just ran too sluggishly. Low key devastated. I returned it and got ultrakill though

e: is there any way to play cultic without it increasing my steam time played? It's been at 69 hours for 3 months now and I kinda want to keep it that way

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 22, 2023

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

“Official Announce” reads really weird to me
It quietly snuck out of region-restricted-beta-hell back in October, and I... didn't hate it? Very fluffy, and loaded to the loving gills with F2P crap, but it got me through a few train rides and I think I ended up getting through about half of the campaign without dropping a dime before I got bored and put it aside.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Arivia posted:

It’s not uncommon for mods to older games to get tagged as false positives is my understanding, since they do stuff that looks like virus/malware techniques (ie dll injection) as their way to mod games that would otherwise be unpatchable.

Yep, I frequently have to white list things like that.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

verbal enema posted:

That game sucks

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/ScottApogee/status/1628226631151001600?s=20

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea I clicked that Chibi Doom thing without reading any comments, and thought "This art style looks exactly like a lovely mobile game" then it immediately jumped into just that, hah. Amazing. It's like some 'meeting of client expectations' thing where the only people who'd ever buy it recognize and approve of the style.

edit: How on earth did they get the license, it's not like Doom Eternal sunk the IP or anything, despite this forum's distaste for it?

Serephina fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Feb 22, 2023

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Lol apparently for the worldwide launch they nerfed everything balance-wise and gave everyone who had previously paid money for micro transactions free “catch up bundles” to put them back up to par. Amazing. Mobile games, huh?

(I miss when mobile games were basically 99c arcade clones, if you know of a good non-terrible Robotron clone that won’t bankrupt me too badly, please hit me up without hesitation or mercy, I miss Jeff Minter’s Minotron too much…)

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Serephina posted:

Yea I clicked that Chibi Doom thing without reading any comments, and thought "This art style looks exactly like a lovely mobile game" then it immediately jumped into just that, hah. Amazing. It's like some 'meeting of client expectations' thing where they only people who'd ever buy it recognize and are approve of the style.

edit: How on earth did they get the license, it's not like Doom Eternal sunk the IP or anything, despite this forum's distaste for it?

I think you can look at stuff like this, Doom being reduced to people just shouting "RIP AND TEAR!" and "YOU CAN'T SHOOT A HOLE INTO THE SURFACE OF MARS!" memes at each other, and Doom Eternal (yes, I am including Doom Eternal as an entire idea, concept and product in this) and absolutely argue that the IP has jumped the shark.

This process has however resulted in a notable increase in people finally accepting that Doom 3 is actually really good, which is a net win.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Doom didn't peak with circle strafing, it peaked with the doom guy smashing a screen and racking a shotgun to the theme. The doomiest it's ever been.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Serephina posted:

Its by a Bethesda-owned studio.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

they give us this loving garbage but not doom rpg on modern platforms… unforgivable

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

they give us this loving garbage but not doom rpg on modern platforms… unforgivable
The Doom RPGs were headed up by Carmack and his then-wife so given the way he left the company there’s probably a ton of corporate politics to get over, sadly.

At least DRPG 1 has a real good reverse-engineered port to play on Windows/Deck/other non-phone platforms, and Orcs & Elves 1 has a great Nintendo DS remaster. Hopefully the rest of those games follow suit! And hopefully some smart indie bastard makes a new Casual Dungeon Crawler following their lead ala the modern Boomer Shooter trend.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

I bought this game on the xmas steam sale and was pumped... but it just ran too sluggishly. Low key devastated. I returned it and got ultrakill though

e: is there any way to play cultic without it increasing my steam time played? It's been at 69 hours for 3 months now and I kinda want to keep it that way

Can you run the executable through a file explorer without having steam open? if it doesn't use steam's DRM that should work and hopefully won't increase playtime.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

verbal enema posted:

That game sucks

:wrong:

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Bumhead posted:

I think you can look at stuff like this, Doom being reduced to people just shouting "RIP AND TEAR!"
People have been doing that since like 2001. And you can thank Lowtax for that.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Kins posted:

Lol apparently for the worldwide launch they nerfed everything balance-wise and gave everyone who had previously paid money for micro transactions free “catch up bundles” to put them back up to par. Amazing. Mobile games, huh?

(I miss when mobile games were basically 99c arcade clones, if you know of a good non-terrible Robotron clone that won’t bankrupt me too badly, please hit me up without hesitation or mercy, I miss Jeff Minter’s Minotron too much…)

Giving “influencers” special versions of the game that are more rewarding is classic mobile games