Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Lil Nas X Satan cards

hook me up directly to peter thiel's mouth for all I care

just let me get hep Z first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

How are the nvidia 3000 series cards' adoption rate on Steam stats compared to previous generations?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

poo poo, I’ve been pronouncing it soup-rim.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I agree with the take that these names are deliberately misspelled to avoid collision with any other existing branding and to make it clear and explicit that different SKUs are different. Whatever you might think of calling it a "2060 KO", you know that that's the specific one with the cut-down 2080Ti die that inadvertently makes it better at some productivity apps than any other 2060.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Re Suprim - In most world English dialects it basically sounds like 'supreme'? I don't understand why whatever youtube vloggers think that the company has somehow messed up. The american english dialects are a small part of the language globally.

It's also slightly better branding because it doesn't sound like an army veteran's car bumper sticker, which most PC component branding adheres to. Surely PC gamers are only really obsessed with specs/numbers anyway - would it really hurt for the branding of this stuff to veer away from the whole paramilitary fetish? Does this really matter to the gamer market? I'd rather a nice tasteful lookin component that isn't trying to convince me it's made of kevlar or apache helicopter parts or whatever.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1392030232480292865?s=20

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1392069402313560064?s=20

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1392057270796791810?s=20

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
If it's for plex, just pick up Quadro P400, they're plenty and cheap on eBay. Low profile, NVENC enabled.

For the latest and greatest, it seems like there's new Turing gen coming up: https://geizhals.eu/pny-t400-vcnt400-pb-a2522812.html

Should be cheap enough (150 currency or so new)

E: oh it was not for Plex. Good job me reading the thread

Kivi fucked around with this message at 14:13 on May 11, 2021

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

KinkyJohn posted:

How are the nvidia 3000 series cards' adoption rate on Steam stats compared to previous generations?

Actually pretty average until April, when the uptake of 3080s just stopped.

demostars
Apr 8, 2020

mutata posted:

https://www.adorama.com/ev01gp31313.html The 210 I bought that's eligible for Step Up appears to still be in stock if anyone wants to give it a shot. The 3090 they're offering ends up being around $1972 plus shipping shenanigans.

3080's Step Up queue is still in October or whatever. The 3070 queue is now processing people who signed up Jan 2nd. The 3090 queue is less than a week long.

Paul MaudDib posted:

ironically it may actually be a matrox GPU! servers don't care about 3D performance as long as it can run a server console, so stuff like ATI Mach64 and Matrox Millennium had surprisingly long lifespans, only getting discontinued into the late 2000s or early 2010s iirc. it was the 8600GT/GT210/GT710 "literally never gonna stop making the drat thing" of its time.

speaking of two posts i didn't expect to have a common link, i found this page in the related items on adorama lmao

https://www.adorama.com/mrp.html

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

mutata posted:

https://www.adorama.com/ev01gp31313.html The 210 I bought that's eligible for Step Up appears to still be in stock if anyone wants to give it a shot. The 3090 they're offering ends up being around $1972 plus shipping shenanigans.

3080's Step Up queue is still in October or whatever. The 3070 queue is now processing people who signed up Jan 2nd. The 3090 queue is less than a week long.

Is anyone aware of another place with step-up eligible GPUs in stock? I've reached my personal gently caress-it point and I'm ready to drop $2k on a 3090.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

K8.0 posted:

Is anyone aware of another place with step-up eligible GPUs in stock? I've reached my personal gently caress-it point and I'm ready to drop $2k on a 3090.

Nope, and be careful of Newegg which will show a few of them for purchase but absolutely none are sold by Newegg proper (so ineligible). They're probably not botted though, so maybe you have a chance at getting them. (who am i kidding they're probably botted?)

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Holy...

I just received my EVGA 210 (ending in KR, important) today, having ordered it from newegg (the only authorized retailer in Canada I could find it at these days) on the 4th (of May).

I registered it right away, uploaded the invoice a few minutes later, and entered step-up for a 3090. This was...35 minutes ago, at 11:52 (mst).

I just checked my email for another matter, and saw that I received a second email from EVGA after the 'you've entered the step-up queue, #1 of 5 in the process' email received at the aforementioned 11:52...at 12:10. Informing me that:

"We are happy to announce that your Step-Up request has completed the queue process. EVGA will now review your request by looking over your invoice. Any adjustments to the price will occur at this step. If you are approved, you will receive another email with instructions to pay for your Step-Up."

18 minutes. 18 minutes to get through the queue for a 3090. I'm sure it'll take a while longer to get to step 3, but...holy poo poo.

If you really need one, this may be the better way to go than seeking out a prebuilt, seriously.

I'm still kind of stunned at this speed, and still know on some level that I don't really need a $2000 card, but screw it. EVGA 4 lyfe.

edit for the post above: I should note (though I did mention the 'in Canada thing', that mine was from newegg.ca, which doesn't necessarily work the same as newegg.com does (as evidenced by us just being out of luck on the newegg shuffle, even when it was worth a drat). I did make sure to go through the various sellers for the item on the newegg site and made sure to pick the one that claimed it was being sold by newegg itself, and that seemed to work out)

Aoi fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 11, 2021

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

You're gonna have a $4K step-up bill

I'd be curious to hear the $$ difference.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

slidebite posted:

As of the last week, it was coming to, like, 2300 dollars or so, yeah. The Canadian dollar is actually at quite a low compared to the American one right now, so now would definitely be the time to do this.

It's not great, but, hey, that's being a Canadian who buys almost any electronics in any form (or anything else) for you.

Pretty sure kijiji (our craigslist) still has 3080s going for 2500+, if you could actually buy one before the miners do, soooo

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

slidebite posted:

Here's mine in USD.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

A coworker I know entered the notification queue on the EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra on launch day and when it was his turn, the borders fees were just the Canadian taxes which he would have paid anyway if he bought from Canada. Maybe the taxes were higher if they calculated them from the $US amount but that's still less than scalped prices back then. So he paid un $US the same amount as a US citizen + taxes we have in Canada.

Edit : Also, currently, the $Cnd vs $US is not as weak as it's been for quite a while so it's not as bad. Also, even when we buy in Canada, it's more expensive on a lot of products than in the $US even if you do the currency conversion.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

If I didn't have a 3090 already (I bought early enough on it wasn't $rape$) I'd be all over that.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

edit: nm I misread
edit 2: VV I thought I saw a "not" that didn't actually exist and so I assumed I completely misread the context of what you were saying- but suffice to say yes the CAD is at a good rate right now.

thunderspanks fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 11, 2021

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

thunderspanks posted:

lmao what? It's .83 to the dollar right now, that's the highest it's been in at least the last 5 years.

Low, high...do you not see 'dumb' under my avatar?

Guess I was thinking of the conversion cost, rather than the value of the dollar itself when I typed that, yeah. My dumb bad.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
That jayz two cents guy mentioned on his channel yesterday that there's a GPU queue that's over 1.5 million people long. If it's true, maybe that's how long EVGA's 3080 queue is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOdxB0jvkkQ&t=85s

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
That wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. Like everyone else, I signed up for the 3080 queue, because why on earth would I get any of the other cards when that's the sweet spot, clearly?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

KinkyJohn posted:

Blorange posted:

Actually pretty average until April, when the uptake of 3080s just stopped.

I'm curious about how the xx60 series looks, since the 1060 is the most popular graphics card on Steam (so presumably the 3060 would take its place) and the 3060 is the best bang for the buck for the crypto shitheads. I'll bet that's where the biggest disparity is.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
I think the 3060ti is the best crypto card but dont know/care these days either. I think the 3060 is generally the most mediocre of the cards as a value thing. It's still a good card but not meaningfully better than what it should be competing with on the used market. (lol)

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Obviously you can't predict the future, but for our GPU gurus in the thread, does it seem possible that a 3090 would remain "viable" for longer than a 3080 in proportion to their cost? I'm also getting sick of this circus.

Also where can I read about how the crypto market works because I don't understand how it can just keep getting more valuable. Surely more people mining would lower the value as the amount of coins increases?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

GruntyThrst posted:

Obviously you can't predict the future, but for our GPU gurus in the thread, does it seem possible that a 3090 would remain "viable" for longer than a 3080 in proportion to their cost? I'm also getting sick of this circus.

Also where can I read about how the crypto market works because I don't understand how it can just keep getting more valuable. Surely more people mining would lower the value as the amount of coins increases?

At the risk of cryptochat, the short version is that the number of coins mined in a day is fixed and more people mining increases the difficulty of finding a coin, it doesn't increase the number of coins mined. The increased profitability is because the price of Ethereum has spiked a lot more than the mining difficulty has (and because of some nonsense which has driven up transaction fees, which currently get distributed to miners, though that's scheduled to change later this year.)

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

GruntyThrst posted:

Hell no, unless you're using it for actual work that cares about the vram.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

GruntyThrst posted:

What resolution etc you're already at now matters. To give you an example though the 1080ti (top of the stack) is still viable, and the 2080ti is basically a 3070 for most intents and purposes so yeah usually buying at the high end doesn't exactly get you "future proofing," but it gets you a much more graceful decline phase.

At low-er than 4k resolutions though the 3090 is really wasted so it does get into "predict the future" areas. Maybe something will come along and utilize that extra VRAM and whatever other benefits the 3090 gets you, but it's also totally possible both get obsoleted for DLSS4.20 long before that anyway.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Blorange posted:

Hell no, unless you're using it for actual work that cares about the vram.

I mean, if you're strictly playing on 4k and maxing out everything to ultra, I don't think it's unreasonable to think that the 3080 will run into a ceiling more quickly than the 3090 in the not so distant future. There are some games pushing 8-9 GB on those settings already. But by the time it really matters, the next gen of GPUs will be out.

If you're looking to upgrade your GPU and hold onto it and skip the next gen GPUs, the 3090 is probably a safer bet.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
If you go by transistor density the 3090 should be easily outclassed next gen, just dividing number from wikipedia the 3090 has ~44.6 million/sq mm, the Apple m1 has 134 million/sq mm and tsmc 3nm in 2022 should be have a peak of ~292 million/sq mm.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

GruntyThrst posted:

that's the whole technology behind the crypto market.

the financial part is entirely speculation -- people saying "the price is going up, so as long as it keeps going up and i sell my holdings before it goes down, i'll make a fortune." the incentive to keep pushing the price higher is greed and mania; there is no connection to any tangible value, so it doesn't matter what the item in question is. this has happened before many times with tulip bulbs, beanie babies, whatever. now it's internet funbux.

</crypto>

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I just realized the Smoggies were running on offshore mining rig.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

for those doing step up do you have to pay the difference right away or only once it's ready for shipping?

GruntyThrst posted:

where are you

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

From the description, you have 7 days to place the order once you're approved (Step 3). Then you send in the old card, then they send the new one.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hi everyone! Please slow down with the crypto chat. If you want to make a crypto thread, you're welcome to. If you want to chat with me about it beforehand, feel free to hit me up! Thanks everyone.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Alan Smithee posted:

for those doing step up do you have to pay the difference right away or only once it's ready for shipping?

You don't have to pay the difference until they let you know they have a card ready to ship for you, you just put in the value of the initial card you're replacing, so they can factor that in when the time comes.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Alan Smithee posted:

where are you

Like mutata said, Step 1 is jumping into line and waiting (potentially months) until you get your Step 2 notification. You don’t need to pay the difference until...Step 4? I think. By that point you’re within a week or ten days of getting the new card if you don’t wait around to complete your portions of the steps.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Hmm, the new RTX 3080 laptops announced today have 16gb of VRAM. I guess it's because many of them are driving 4K screens but that's still a weird disparity

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

It's GDDR6 and the desktop models are GDDR6x so you need more ram to up the bandwidth.

Anti Plum
Sep 15, 2007
I signed my 3060ti up for a step-up to a 3070 FTW3 ULTRA and just got the email saying they're going to review the invoice.

Is it worth it to upgrade from 3060 ti ftw to the 3070? I'm not really sure. I'm tempted to just try and get another retail 3000 series and flip the 3060ti maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

EngineerJoe posted:

It's GDDR6 and the desktop models are GDDR6x so you need more ram to up the bandwidth.

It's a 256 bit bus, so 16GB doesn't get you any more bandwidth than 8 would. With 14Gbps gddr6 and a 256 bit bus it will have significantly less bandwidth than the 320 bit desktop 3080 using 19Gbps gddr6x.