Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

FulsomFrank posted:

Don't do Charterstone unless you have a group that won't care that the game itself sucks. If people just want a bag of box of cracker jacks that has prizes at the bottom every time, this might be fine, but I am not kidding when I say the game is Not Good.
That is a great descriptor of Charterstone. Sadly, the surprises also ran out halfway through the campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
A six person legacy game sounds like Dungeons & Dragons tbqh

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

nordichammer posted:

Play Gloomhaven 6 handed house ruled by just using the 4p scenario set up

I thought Gloomhaven's enemy numbers (and their toughness, which means their upkeep & management) often just felt like too much & too crowded at 4p, I can't even imagine what 6 would be like :goleft:

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK
Twilight Imperium isn’t legacy but a couple games of that might fit what your group likes.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

nordichammer posted:

Play Gloomhaven 6 handed house ruled by just using the 4p scenario set up
I love Gloomhaven as much or more than the next person, but please do not do this, it is a bad idea

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Aggro posted:

A six person legacy game sounds like Dungeons & Dragons tbqh

but it's d&d with no pre-session prep for anyone.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

FulsomFrank posted:

Do the 18xx veterans here have any thoughts on 18NewEngland? Just curious if anyone has experience with it or where it might fit in. Seems similar to 1846/1861/67 and therefore maybe a bit redundant if I've already those?

I’ve played it three times, it’s okay? I would prefer the mentioned 61/67 over it 100%, New England is a bit too simplistic to the point it’s hard to recommend.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Sidereal Confluence Legacy when

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

You get to keep the cubes?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

You burn the cubes!!

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
So, uh, heads up that the CEO of Broken Token is a sexual abuser.

CW: Sexual assault, sexual situations, cheating, mental & emotional abuse, stalking
https://medium.com/@ashrtaylor13/speaking-up-to-protect-others-73f152bcb772

(Not going to post any excerpts as it's pretty awful).

At least one company has responded:

https://twitter.com/Cephalofair/status/1428393530532171779

Phelddagrif fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 19, 2021

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
i have to say that at this point i am kinda impressed by isaac staying on the right side of all of these issues and being among the first to speak

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Infinitum posted:

He's actually cutting ties with a ton of different companies.

He terminated contracts with Grail Games, Matagot and Kolossal Games
https://www.dicebreaker.com/categories/board-game/news/knizia-games-terminates-releases

Feeling this is less a publisher doing the wrong thing, and more a Knizia being weird thing?

------------------------------

I would guess these companies are used to played fast and loose with designers but somebody like Kenzia doesn’t have to put up with their poo poo.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

Every SUSD is posh. You can go posher, but they're definitely posh.

They're all solidly middle class, like all boardgamers.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Introduced my friends to Coup yesterday, none of them have any experience playing board games, and a fair few of them were sort of against giving it a go because they assumed it'd be boring. I was mega stressed trying to pick out what to play first, as I didn't want something too meaty and hard to digest for their first time. Coup went down a treat, everyone had a blast, and it was a great night. Everyone's excited to play it again, even though we played it for two hours straight yesterday.

My question is, are the Coup expansions worth picking up? What different dynamics do they add to the game? The biggest complaint we had as a group was that the endgame of Coup is kind of lame. If you've got one card left and someone tries to assassinate you, just call bullshit since you have absolutely nothing to lose. So it made the endings anticlimactic and samey. Other than that, we really enjoyed it.

I was thinking of getting Avalon to change things up, maaaaybe some Secret Hitler, Codenames and that's all I can think of. I was gonna save meatier games like Catan and Carcassonne for when the group is thoroughly hooked and open to trying new stuff.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Qubee posted:

I was thinking of getting Avalon to change things up, maaaaybe some Secret Hitler, Codenames and that's all I can think of. I was gonna save meatier games like Catan and Carcassonne for when the group is thoroughly hooked and open to trying new stuff.

Mysterium or Dixit might work.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

gschmidl posted:

Mysterium or Dixit might work.

This isn't a helpful suggestion, so apologies, but something I have noticed is that Betrayal is AMAZING for getting people to go "Oh my gosh boardgames can be THIS?" for some reason. Which is sort of a shame, because it's so naff.

I think because it's just so instantly grokkable while still actually being a departure from typical roll and moves, and has just enough elements that totally subvert milton-bradley style games, without really having any rules overhead.

Like at the start when you say "Ok, we're all in this together, on the same side" you get eyes widening, and then you say "But one of us, unbeknownst to anyone, is going to BETRAY US and be the villain" and it's just this "HOLY SHOWZOW" moment because it's like,

• Co-op exists as a concept
  • 1 vs many exists as a concept
  • Modular content exists as a concept
  • "I SORT OF UNDERSTAND WHAT ROLE PLAYING IS NOW"

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Qubee posted:

Introduced my friends to Coup yesterday, none of them have any experience playing board games, and a fair few of them were sort of against giving it a go because they assumed it'd be boring. I was mega stressed trying to pick out what to play first, as I didn't want something too meaty and hard to digest for their first time. Coup went down a treat, everyone had a blast, and it was a great night. Everyone's excited to play it again, even though we played it for two hours straight yesterday.

My question is, are the Coup expansions worth picking up? What different dynamics do they add to the game? The biggest complaint we had as a group was that the endgame of Coup is kind of lame. If you've got one card left and someone tries to assassinate you, just call bullshit since you have absolutely nothing to lose. So it made the endings anticlimactic and samey. Other than that, we really enjoyed it.

Depending on how big your group is, I've found Azul, Kingdomino and Sushi Go to be pretty popular games for newbies. Kingdomino and Sushi Go are very simple and Azul is very tactile, plus it looks pretty. I know Azul's considered to be a bit complex/competitive, but my group's a bit weird in terms of complexity - they found Skull impenetrable but they had no issues with Pictomania.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Thank you for all the suggestions. Things in this country are weird, there's a single boardgame cafe that has a good selection of games, but their sit down & play system is ridiculous: there's no table fees or anything like that, each separate game has its own rental price. You'd think it would be a relatively cheap price, but no. Rent coup for 3 local currency for unlimited play time, or buy it outright for 8.75 local currency. Why would you ever rent. So it kinda hampers the freedom of choice and being able to play whatever you want. I wish they'd change the system, as it kills the excitement of discovering new games and experiencing different stuff.

In previous cafes I've gone to, there's always a modest table fee per person, and then a requirement to buy something from the cafe. This was always fine by me because we'd spend a good few hours there and play two or three games.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Aug 20, 2021

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Pictomania works fine with most newbies honestly, I think people overstate the hurdle a bit. Its just something you need to do a practice round with cause once its something that feels intuitive once you interact with it.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

!Klams posted:

This isn't a helpful suggestion, so apologies, but something I have noticed is that Betrayal is AMAZING for getting people to go "Oh my gosh boardgames can be THIS?" for some reason. Which is sort of a shame, because it's so naff.

I almost mentioned Betrayal but decided against it precisely because the rules are so often unclear about stuff and that ruins it with a group that's not willing to compromise.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Qubee posted:

Coup: Reformation adds teams, which is a pretty cool dynamic. You can only target people from the other team (unless everyone is the same team, then it's FFA). You can spend coins to change teams or make someone else change teams.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Qubee posted:

Is it Coup 1952 that has all the extra roles in it, and you set up a game by drawing a subset? That seemed to work surprisingly well.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

nonathlon posted:

Is it Coup 1952 that has all the extra roles in it, and you set up a game by drawing a subset? That seemed to work surprisingly well.

It's called G54, short for Guatamala 1954, and I found it kinda very bad. It felt like the setup time exceeded the length of the game, which is never a good scene. I wasn't very confident in setting it up or teaching though, so maybe that's just a me problem.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
For filler games like Coup, the less fiddliness, the better. Just buy another entire game instead (like High Society) if you need more variety.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Snooze Cruise posted:

Pictomania works fine with most newbies honestly, I think people overstate the hurdle a bit. Its just something you need to do a practice round with cause once its something that feels intuitive once you interact with it.

Pictomania is a great game but I find it's just a smiiiiidge over the line with regard to complexity and teaching, and therefore forces you to be a smiling, patient, and efficient professor or else you've wasted your shot at playing something. Telestrations works similarly and is almost always a hit.

Looks like GMT is going to be publishing 18India via the P500 system, which sounds interesting to say the least. Highlights are:
- no train rusting
- all track types available from the get go
- commodity contracts
... and a bizarre sounding IPO thing.

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-948-18-india.aspx

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 20, 2021

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Qubee posted:

Mysterium & Secret Hitler

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Qubee posted:

Thank you for all the suggestions. Things in this country are weird, there's a single boardgame cafe that has a good selection of games, but their sit down & play system is ridiculous: there's no table fees or anything like that, each separate game has its own rental price. You'd think it would be a relatively cheap price, but no. Rent coup for 3 local currency for unlimited play time, or buy it outright for 8.75 local currency. Why would you ever rent. So it kinda hampers the freedom of choice and being able to play whatever you want. I wish they'd change the system, as it kills the excitement of discovering new games and experiencing different stuff.

In previous cafes I've gone to, there's always a modest table fee per person, and then a requirement to buy something from the cafe. This was always fine by me because we'd spend a good few hours there and play two or three games.

What a bizarre system. How much is that in USD? My friend and I would go to a board game cafe and just spend hours there learning and playing like half a dozen games or more over the course of an afternoon/evening (while ordering meals and snacks) and I can't imagine doing that while needing to pay for each game.

As an aside, I find it so weird when people I know insist on bringing their own games to a bg cafe to play. I'd just invite people over if they wanted to play a game they owned already.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
The draft and recent Knizia chat means that I am now the proud owner of Modern Art and High Society. At least I'm not backing Kickstarters any more so this only set me back about £35. That's close enough to "under control" that we won't dwell on it. Soon the world will settle down and I'll get to actually play the new games I own...

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Redundant posted:

High Society

So glad to be doing the Devil's work here. :devil: Hope your group enjoys it as much as mine has.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
High Society is the best filler game. 100% success rate with non-bgamers for me so far, too. The new art is just lovely, too.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Jumping in to confirm, High Society is great. Only have gotten it to a table twice but each time we played a good dozen games of it.

Also got the last copy of MicroMacro in my local store today, by buying it online and picking it up three days later. Guy at the counter said after I had purchased mine a good half dozen more people came in to check for the game and were rebuffed.

Can't wait to look at Where's Waldo Been Murdered?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Anyone have opinions on the House of Renaissance expansion for Lorenzo Il Magnifico?

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

FulsomFrank posted:

Looks like GMT is going to be publishing 18India via the P500 system, which sounds interesting to say the least. Highlights are:
- no train rusting
- all track types available from the get go
- commodity contracts
... and a bizarre sounding IPO thing.

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-948-18-india.aspx

It sounds like a less random 18Africa variant, which was itself designed to be a less random 1829 Mainline. 18Africa also has the hand of cards, non-rusting trains, all track available from the start, and commodity contracts, though it seems like the details will differ a bit on the contracts since in 18Africa they're just auctioned off. What does sound new are the guarantee companies and the way the IPO works, though the IPO is really just a variant of how 18Africa handles it (basically there's a deck of stock certs and every stock turn you take is either buying certs or flipping them from the top of the deck into a column that has to be bought from sequentially). I'm also guessing that the hand of cards you get at the start is going to be purely trackable info or something instead of being half hidden/half auctioned like in Africa since that's basically the primary way you can get screwed with not much recourse. Could be interesting, but it'll probably fall into the same bucket as 18Africa for me which is basically "don't mind playing it once in a while".

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Morpheus posted:

What a bizarre system. How much is that in USD? My friend and I would go to a board game cafe and just spend hours there learning and playing like half a dozen games or more over the course of an afternoon/evening (while ordering meals and snacks) and I can't imagine doing that while needing to pay for each game.

As an aside, I find it so weird when people I know insist on bringing their own games to a bg cafe to play. I'd just invite people over if they wanted to play a game they owned already.

About $9.96 to rent Coup, or $29 to just buy it. Makes zero sense to rent, especially if you know it's a good game. They don't rent the huge games out either that have a tonne of pieces, so it's just a really braindead system in general and prevents people venturing out of their comfort zone and trying new stuff.

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.
That really is dumb as hell, especially since anyone can easily proxy Coup with a standard deck of cards.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
That reminds me, there was an Argentinian version of Coup a few years back. The art was a bit rough though.

It was popular enough to get a 2nd edition with an expansion adding the Lawyer and Patron roles.

Much better art IMO

Douche Phoenix
Oct 25, 2014
So I'm on the fence on buying Oath, but I'd mostly be playing it 2 player. Is it worth it at that player count, or would I be better off just playing a different game?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I really wouldn't. It's a political negotiation-ish game, those don't really survive going down to 2 players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
I’d have to agree, however much I love Oath. I’m not a big fan of the Clockwork Prince setup and I think a lot of the game lives and dies on table talk and player-to-player banter.