Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Bumhead posted:

Is it really? Huh.

My understanding of Quake Champions is that it’s always been a bit of a dud for some of the fluff it added around the edges of the core Quake experience. The concept of Champion characters being one of the big ones.

Also I think if you were to give Quake 3 the same modernisation as Quake 1 and promote it properly, maybe it could gain some traction. I’m not suggesting it’s a path towards 100,000 players at all times but just to bring it back as a modernised experience and see what happens.

Look, this is pure blind hope rather than a business plan for Bethesda and id. It’s fun to want things and gently caress.. I’d like this a lot.

They did this. Its called quake live, and it didn't work. Someone else tried it, called it Diabotical, and it flopped. Quake 3 isnt gonna happen sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

IronicDongz posted:

I definitely think that downtime between playing is QC's big weakness, and not having player hosted lobbies contributes to that.

But even with matchmaking you could still let people just hang out and keep playing. Like if I open up tf2, I can go matchmake onto a valve server and then just stay there. Other players will cycle in and out as they stop/start playing, and sometimes the map will change, but I can still just keep hanging out on that same server indefinitely and as a result just keep endlessly playing with essentially no downtime.

There's no reason QC couldn't have worked like that, and if it did it would make things feel way better because even if matchmaking was still slow you'd basically just have to go through it once per play session. I really am starting to think that low downtime is one of the strongest strengths an online game can have, it's such a clear advantage for Dark and Darker over Tarkov for another example.

Yeah it was this that eventually led me to drop the game earlier than I thought I would...also I played years ago, I guess closer to launch at this point (although it was in like an open beta for years too? Kinda fuzzy on timeline) which had a low player count and interminable wait times which really made every end of match so much more intolerable

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Squeezy Farm posted:

They did this. Its called quake live, and it didn't work. Someone else tried it, called it Diabotical, and it flopped. Quake 3 isnt gonna happen sadly.
Quake Live came out 13 years ago at a time when the most relevant online game was probably Team Fortress 2 (a game that basically filled the Q3-shaped hole for a lot of people already), and despite still going, it hasn't received much attention beyond getting released on Steam at some point. I'm not sure you could say something similar couldn't do better in today's landscape full of boomer shooters, remakes, and relaunches if it had actual marketing and support behind it and not just "here's Quake 3 play it if you want"

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Hey remember reflex diabotical, lol.

koren fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Feb 25, 2023

koren
Sep 7, 2003

I'm very grateful for id putting quake live on steam instead of just nuking the server infrastructure. Sure the in game server browser is terrible and there are vestiges of the desperate last gasp attempts to revitalise the game with spawn loadouts and the bafflingly pointless HMG, but with the rot stripped out via steam workshop factories it's still a lot of fun. :cheers:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I have Quake Champions a few tries but I just couldn’t take waiting forever to matchmake with the same people over and over again. The population just couldn’t support it.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Volte posted:

if it had actual marketing and support behind it and not just "here's Quake 3 play it if you want"

Quake Live had 6 or 7 years of content and updates/new gamemodes and such. Marketing won't solve anything though because the problem often isn't awareness, it's player retention. If you know that you're going to retain 40% of your players after day 1, and a low single digit percentage of your players after day 30, then it doesn't matter how much marketing you throw at it, you're still retaining too few players just from a bigger bucket.

Keep in mind too that if you're putting out marketing, you're going to expect to retain even less players since you naturally bring in players that are predisposed to your game, but with advertising you're going to attract a lot of people that are curious because of the ads but will never be their type of game.

This is why a lot of mobile games release in New Zealand or Canada as a test. If the game is a hit, it'll be obvious with a small pool of players. If it's not, you're never going to make it a hit with marketing. You might be able to trick someone to buy a game with a clever ad campaign, but you're not going to trick them to play it and contribute to a healthy multiplayer base.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Sure, but Quake Live was released significantly closer to the original release of Quake 3 than it was to today and the landscape of today is totally different. By marketing I don't mean "run ads and hope people go Oh That Looks Cool", I mean actual modern multiplayer game marketing. Getting bigger streamers to play it, collaborating on community events, and the like. Also probably not going hard into the "serious esports" angle that's almost certainly doomed to both fail to move the needle in pro leagues while also alienating casual players. The days of high-profile competitive Quake are almost certainly over but as far as easy to learn casual shooters, you've basically got a choice between Fortnite and Call of Duty, and neither of those really fill the niche that Quake 3 once occupied.

That said I doubt Bethesda really wants to go down that route, but I don't think it's logical to say there's no hope for an old-school style Quake multiplayer game based on the performance of a game that came out before Twitch even existed.

Volte fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 25, 2023

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

I personally enjoy playing many of the old and new Doom entries, but that's just my personal preference and I hope no one is offended by this

Unforgivable. I bet you play Laura Beyer's Doom WAD.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm working on a doom-themed crossover thrash/hardcore record, what the better obscure reference? "Putrid Debris" or some kinda WAD joke? Maybe Witness All Destruction?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Unforgivable. I bet you play Laura Beyer's Doom WAD.

for anyone else who had no idea about this: https://onemandoom.blogspot.com/2012/04/laura-beyers-doom-lbdoomwad.html

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

IronicDongz posted:

I definitely think that downtime between playing is QC's big weakness, and not having player hosted lobbies contributes to that.

It was 100% this for me. Several minutes of matchmaking and prematch screens just to be booted back to the main menu after every match.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm working on a doom-themed crossover thrash/hardcore record, what the better obscure reference? "Putrid Debris" or some kinda WAD joke? Maybe Witness All Destruction?

I would poke around the Doom Wiki. Just going by the list of engine bugs you have a couple of candidates:

All Ghosts
Hall of Mirrors
Medusa Effect
Slime Trails

Maybe sneak in a reference to the infamous FIREBLU texture?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm iffy on a fireblu reference because that didn't appear until doom2 and I'm wanting to save d2 references for the second EP, but then it was in Ultimate Doom so it's still kind of in OG doom. I'll probably incorporate it into the album cover.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm iffy on a fireblu reference because that didn't appear until doom2
:dafuq:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Inferno is actually DOOM 3.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, it was first used in Doom 2, and then after that it appeared in Doom 1 ep4. I literally said that in my post.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, it was first used in Doom 2, and then after that it appeared in Doom 1 ep4. I literally said that in my post.

Mt. Erebus was E3M6. https://doomwiki.org/wiki/E3M6:_Mt._Erebus_(Doom)
I think you're now legally required to play through Doom again for getting the maps mixed up.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 25, 2023

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I think this is the very first appearance of FIREBLU. E2M3:

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
The main reason to upgrade from the shareware Doom was to get a look at FIREBLU :colbert:

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Rocket Pan posted:

As a developer (technically) of Doom 64, I'm here to inform you that Doom 64 is Doom 64, and Doom 3 is Doom 3.

Sorry you had to find out this way.

Also Doom 64 isn't even the 3rd game. And frankly Doom 3 fits more as a traditional Doom game than 2016 was given you have to actually search the environment organically for health and ammo instead of 2016's just dispensing it at you wherever.

You know why I like you, Rocket Pan? Cause you're a literal guy.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Well gently caress nevermind, it's the animated version that appears in doom 2 first. ☹️

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Baron von Eevl posted:

Well gently caress nevermind, it's the animated version that appears in doom 2 first. ☹️

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

actually, fireblu first appeared specifically in the versions of doom 1 and 2 included with doom 3 bfg edition

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

fireblu was added in doom 1.9

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Well poo poo I don't know.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Volte posted:

Sure, but Quake Live was released significantly closer to the original release of Quake 3 than it was to today and the landscape of today is totally different. By marketing I don't mean "run ads and hope people go Oh That Looks Cool", I mean actual modern multiplayer game marketing. Getting bigger streamers to play it, collaborating on community events, and the like. Also probably not going hard into the "serious esports" angle that's almost certainly doomed to both fail to move the needle in pro leagues while also alienating casual players. The days of high-profile competitive Quake are almost certainly over but as far as easy to learn casual shooters, you've basically got a choice between Fortnite and Call of Duty, and neither of those really fill the niche that Quake 3 once occupied.

That said I doubt Bethesda really wants to go down that route, but I don't think it's logical to say there's no hope for an old-school style Quake multiplayer game based on the performance of a game that came out before Twitch even existed.

None of that is going to work if the player gets into the game and doesn't retain and spend.

The predictable formula for getting people to play your game is always going to be money with some modifier based on how appealing it appears to be. If people aren't sticking with your game it needs to be incredibly incredibly obviously appealing. So appealing that streamers play it for free.

Flip side is eSports is predictable because you're paying people to play the game. Players jump games all the time to chase prize pools. Most of these people will only quit a game if they're burned out or the money dries up. It's mercenary work.

The best hope for an arena shooter right now is probably just Halo as a series (which is slower but maintains most of the core Arena FPS components in their modes but has scaled to retain casual audiences) or something spinning out of Apex/Respawn where they've started as a BR but are just continually trying to basically make Quake Champions as a side game inside of it work.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
there were exactly two times that you could have got some real traction on a new oldschool arena shooter game

1, when DOOM 2016 released or slightly after if you bundled them together
2, when DOOM eternal released or slightly after if you bundled them together

if it's not joined at the hip to one of the popular new big name boomer shooters you are not getting an audience, and even then it would be shaky.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

MJBuddy posted:

The predictable formula for getting people to play your game is always going to be money with some modifier based on how appealing it appears to be. If people aren't sticking with your game it needs to be incredibly incredibly obviously appealing. So appealing that streamers play it for free.

Which loops back to some of those videos that have done the rounds lately pointing out streamers being unhappy with what’s on their plate right now. Dr Disrespect just begging to have some actual fun etc.

The current multiplayer shooter landscape is on its loving arse and people are bored. Single player boomer shooters are one of gamings hottest trends. People already play the likes of COD like a twitch shooter. There are ingredients here.

I’ll forever be convinced that the Online Arena FPS is the ultimate gaming experience modern audiences just don’t know they want yet. And because it’s also a genre seemingly trapped in this Catch 22, chicken-and-egg limbo, we’ll probably never see that change.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I was never the biggest Halo fan when it was at its peak back in the 2000s, but one of the things I definitely liked about it was that it was built upon traditional arena shooter ideas. Map flow and weapon control, the types of game modes etc.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

IronicDongz posted:

there were exactly two times that you could have got some real traction on a new oldschool arena shooter game

1, when DOOM 2016 released or slightly after if you bundled them together
2, when DOOM eternal released or slightly after if you bundled them together

if it's not joined at the hip to one of the popular new big name boomer shooters you are not getting an audience, and even then it would be shaky.

Like the arena shooter that's bundled with Doom 2016 made by the folks who worked on Halo?

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
Halo has died off more with every release and Quake/arena fpses are the opposite of "twitch shooters"

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I'm getting fireblu1 tattooed on my left rear end cheek and fireblu2 tattooed on my right

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 26, 2023

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

MJBuddy posted:

Like the arena shooter that's bundled with Doom 2016 made by the folks who worked on Halo?
yes, but for something like QC because "how to make something like that a success" was the context of the conversation

Bumhead posted:

Which loops back to some of those videos that have done the rounds lately pointing out streamers being unhappy with what’s on their plate right now. Dr Disrespect just begging to have some actual fun etc.

The current multiplayer shooter landscape is on its loving arse and people are bored. Single player boomer shooters are one of gamings hottest trends.
boomer shooters are a lot more niche than you seem to think they are(nowhere near one of "gaming's hottest trends") and if you think people like dr disrespect want to play oldschool afps you are out of your mind

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm looking forward to the multiplayer for ROTT: Ludicrous Edition dying off within 6 hours of release, despite nothing being wrong with it whatsoever.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'm getting fireblu1 tattooed on my left rear end cheek and fireblu2 tattooed on my right

They're animated textures, you gonna do like, each frame?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

catlord posted:

They're animated textures, you gonna do like, each frame?

I'm hoping that I can achieve some sort of flipbook effect between the two tattoos to create an illusion of movement.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'm hoping that I can achieve some sort of flipbook effect between the two tattoos to create an illusion of movement.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

I personally enjoy playing many of the old and new Doom entries, but that's just my personal preference and I hope no one is offended by this

this isn't the thread for you sonny jim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

IronicDongz posted:

boomer shooters are a lot more niche than you seem to think they are(nowhere near one of "gaming's hottest trends") and if you think people like dr disrespect want to play oldschool afps you are out of your mind

People like Dr Disrespect play what the audience wants them to play, and seem to spend a bunch of that time being miserable about it.