Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

SmellOfPetroleum posted:

Just found out my father in-law has a (lightly used?) copy of 1829.

I haven't played any 18xx. I bought 1846 with the intent to play with my normal group back in 2020, but we haven't met in person since to play it. Now that 1829 is an option, I'm considering it.

From what I've read so far it looks to be the lesser game, but it has my attention for being the one that started them all.

I've not played it, but I believe 1829 is basically just for historical interest. Cool to own for sure, but I don't see many people clamouring to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

Quote-Unquote posted:

I can't imagine playing Gloomhaven without the Gloomhaven Helper app. It makes the whole thing so much more fun, since the book keeping gets reduced to a minimum.

My group completed the campaign and expansion, playing with a monitor at the end of the table to show the app. Anyone with the app on their phone can also connect to this to update their own health etc. There's a browser version too, but that doesn't support multiple users (it's very easy for one person with a wireless mouse to do everything anyway).

Just to provide a counter-opinion to this, part of why I like Gloomhaven is because of all the fiddly bits and bookkeeping. It's great for our group to just unplug for a couple of hours and hack through dungeons, everyone has a job of something to keep track of or draw cards for or setup monsters and HP, so it ends up being a really fun group experience without tech (since we're all on computers all the other times of the day).

If I were in a time crunch or hated the bookkeeping then I absolutely would use the helper apps, so I have nothing against them, we just choose not to use them. Anyway, just in case you were wondering why some people are weird and don't use them, there's my perspective!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I don't mind tracking conditions and player HP manually, but the table space you save by not having monster stats and decks on the table is pretty useful for mid-sized tables like mine.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
If you have a 3d printer, there are several quality of life upgrades worth printing for Gloomhaven. Monster stand bases that hold small 10 sided dice for life tracking should be #1 on that list.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Azran posted:

I don't mind tracking conditions and player HP manually, but the table space you save by not having monster stats and decks on the table is pretty useful for mid-sized tables like mine.

Yeah we just use the app to track the element infusions and monster abilities. We still have the monster stats on the table since the envelopes make a good spot to put current unused standees.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

SmellOfPetroleum posted:

Just found out my father in-law has a (lightly used?) copy of 1829.

I haven't played any 18xx. I bought 1846 with the intent to play with my normal group back in 2020, but we haven't met in person since to play it. Now that 1829 is an option, I'm considering it.

From what I've read so far it looks to be the lesser game, but it has my attention for being the one that started them all.

There is no point in playing 1829. We played it a number of times, and then forgot about it once '30 came out. About the slowest developing game I've ever played. Bruce Shelley improved it tremendously. Great developer of games.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

armorer posted:

If you have a 3d printer, there are several quality of life upgrades worth printing for Gloomhaven. Monster stand bases that hold small 10 sided dice for life tracking should be #1 on that list.

Yeah I find it baffling that people can play this without monster hp being next to the standards - I filled in for a group that was actually using counters on the stat sleeves as the rules say and it was incomprehensible. We just use stacked small d6s in the hexes.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

in other words, they decided to end Armada when reprints and OP stuff were already in production so they want people to buy all of that before they decide to announce that Armada is dead.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I have played some Dune Imperium lately and I keep getting tricked into it even though I think I hate this game? I keep sitting down like "this is gonna be a fun game I like deck building and worker placement" and then I remember all the intrigue cards make everything on board completely irrelevant because someone just plays a card that puts like 5 units into the conflict out of nowhere at the end of the game (this has happened every single game I swear) suddenly reveals they had like +4 points in a 10 point game from an intrigue card.

Is this game just trash? Am I out of my mind? Am I the only one who thinks this game is calvinball nonsense?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Dune Imperium is good. Someone holding both end game victory point endgame cards and fulfilling their requirements is quite a feat (both of the separately give as much as 2). You HAVE to go toe to toe on intrigue cards else you'll absolutely lose the later conflicts. Why aren't you the person frustrating the other players with BS intrigues during combat? You can win with boots on the ground alone with knowledge of what's in the deck and what the highest possible combat increase is for your opponent based on how many cards they're holding. It's a 40 card deck, 9 of them directly increase combat rating -- as little as 2 and a single card gives 7 if you have an alliance.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

SettingSun posted:

Dune Imperium is good. Someone holding both end game victory point endgame cards and fulfilling their requirements is quite a feat (both of the separately give as much as 2). You HAVE to go toe to toe on intrigue cards else you'll absolutely lose the later conflicts. Why aren't you the person frustrating the other players with BS intrigues during combat? You can win with boots on the ground alone with knowledge of what's in the deck and what the highest possible combat increase is for your opponent based on how many cards they're holding. It's a 40 card deck, 9 of them directly increase combat rating -- as little as 2 and a single card gives 7 if you have an alliance.

Because more than half the intrigues are like "get +2 strength this conflict" or "buy a thing 3 cheaper" and then a few of them are like "WOO FREE POINTS" and "PUT LITERALLY ALL YOUR CUBES IN THE CONFLICT gently caress IT". They're so wildly unbalanced that it's laughable. Like the last game I played where someone just suddenly revealed they had a ton of points in hand was one where I started the turn with like zero cubes then suddenly got a bunch despite getting blocked off of Heighliner and then suddenly I won the conflict out of nowhere by just shoving my entire cube pool into it. I won most of the late game point-bearing conflicts and STILL lost by a ton because someone was like "oh well I bought 3 spice must flows and here's some cards in my hand" so literally all of the effort and poo poo I pumped into that did absolutely nothing, and over the course of the game I got several intrigue cards, most of them I can't even remember because they did basically nothing relevant. There's 40 cards in the deck and like 6 of them just wildly swing the game in your favor and the other 34 are like "i dunno draw a card lol"

Edit: Also it's really not that much of a feat. Everyone's going to want buying power in their deck, and when you get a lot of buying power in a turn you're going to want to buy a spice must flow because why wouldn't you buy a victory point, and then there's an intrigue card that's just "Hey buddy, you been buying victory points? Here have some victory points". At most 2 is an extremely loaded statement when, in a game where it ends at 10 points, 2 points is A loving SHITTON to have off of a random card. 20% of the way to victory off of picking the event card space.

Double Edit: Because I just double checked, you could make a case for Corner the Market being a card where the goal is hard to fulfill because you really need to go deep on the deckbuilder part to buy a bunch of Spice Must Flows. Sure, fine. But Plans Within Plans is pretty much guaranteed isn't it? Like, how the gently caress are you going to get to the end of the game and not somehow have tripped dick first into having at least 1 point off that card, and then maybe push a tiny bit harder to get the second point if you don't already have it?

Glagha fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 25, 2021

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I just can't really speak to the swinginess since after the first few games of it with my group it just kinda vanished. Every game since as been very competitive and I haven't seen a blowout in a long time.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Literally the last game I played I had fun up until those cards existed because it was pretty close all the way up until the end. We were vying for conflicts, I was winning a few of them and I was ahead, my closest competitor was pushing toward 10 and we ended up neck and neck and it was like "okay I'll win if I can win this conflict without him getting a point" but he managed to get enough to buy a spice must flow and snuck just ahead of me. It felt fair, I lost on board and was like "wow that was a good game very competitive". Then he revealed he had both plans within plans and corner the market in hand and WHOOPS I didn't lose by tiebreaker I lost by 3 or 4 points, 30-40% of the entire loving game off of a card I never had an opportunity to interact with that has just been there the entire game. Well good game I guess, good thing it was balanced out by me getting an intrigue that's... I can get a discount on a card. Neat. Awesome. I have played this game like 4 times so far and absolutely no game felt fair at any point. The game state never seemed to matter someone would just win in a way that was completely impossible to interact with and opaque. Intrigue cards are so important because you better be drawing a ton of them so you can hope to get one of the ones that just wins you the game instead of one of the ones that is a total wet fart.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I can see that on the first game or whatever, but once you know what Intrigue cards are out there, it's not terribly difficult to deduce what someone is likely holding based on their actions. If you're watching someone get up to 3 on all four alliance tracks and you're not assuming that they're probably holding that Intrigue card, that's on you. Same thing with the Spice intrigue card. Buying a bunch of Spice Must Flow cards is a pretty stupid strategy unless you're already holding that particular Intrigue card.

In my experience with the game, the "move 4/5 units into combat" cards are obviously good but they're effectively about as useful as the lower numbered ones because it's virtually impossible to maximize the value of the card without giving yourself away. If someone is committing units well below what's already in combat, it should be a pretty obvious tell.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

sportsgenius86 posted:

I can see that on the first game or whatever, but once you know what Intrigue cards are out there, it's not terribly difficult to deduce what someone is likely holding based on their actions.

Okay 1: It's definitely not the first game because I have played this at least 4 times and every single time I've been pissed off by this poo poo. The issue isn't that I don't know the card exists, the issue is that the card is wildly better than most of the other cards in the deck and someone gets lucky and just has it.

sportsgenius86 posted:

If you're watching someone get up to 3 on all four alliance tracks and you're not assuming that they're probably holding that Intrigue card, that's on you.

Okay so I know that my opponent is holding the card that gives him points for climbing the influence tracks (which good luck on that because people are going to be picking those tracks a lot anyway especially the people who are going to be going deep on bene gesserit for those intrigue cards which apparently everyone should be doing because intrigue cards are so good). What meaningful play have I gained by knowing my opponent has it? I can't take his influence away from him. I can't race to be higher than him to deny him those points unlike the alliances which you actually CAN beat someone to, on board, and see that you're getting the point INSTEAD of them. The influence guy has those points on lock there's gently caress all I can do about it other than I guess play around that he's got a lot of focus on those cards. Not that it denies him access to other forms of the game because like, all the alliances have poo poo that benefits the different routes towards victory in the game. He's not gonna be any worse in conflicts because he can push both conditions by just taking Heighliner for example.

sportsgenius86 posted:

Buying a bunch of Spice Must Flow cards is a pretty stupid strategy unless you're already holding that particular Intrigue card.

So for one I don't see how it's a stupid strategy, at least not buying them ooportunistically because if you can buy one why wouldn't you it's a POINT and there's only 10 of them before the game ends. For two this just proves my point because again, I identify another player is buying Spice Must Flow because they have that intrigue card. What the gently caress do I do about it? Apparently I shouldn't buy spice must flow to try to race them and deny them that point because that's a bad play, so it's just here have 2 free points on top of the points you've already got from playing the game.

sportsgenius86 posted:

In my experience with the game, the "move 4/5 units into combat" cards are obviously good but they're effectively about as useful as the lower numbered ones because it's virtually impossible to maximize the value of the card without giving yourself away. If someone is committing units well below what's already in combat, it should be a pretty obvious tell.

The card I'm talking about is literally move any number of cubes you have built into the conflict, which sure if you see someone amassing a ton of cubes but not committing them they probably have something up their sleeve. But again, what do you do about it? Do you let them win the conflict because you know it's a losing proposition to challenge them? Well then they just get to win and keep the card, that's a bad idea. Do you push to try to beat them only a little? Then they might reveal actually they just have a small combat card and win anyway and still have most of their cubes left. Do you try to win by a lot to force them to play big to challenge you? Then they can let YOU win and let you throw a bunch of cubes in the garbage for not that much gain, or possibly just beat you anyway because they can commit as little or as much as they want.

The big issue is that the intrigue cards are wildly varied in power and it's luck of the draw whether you get something that just gives you a tiny incremental advantage or a gamechanging swing state. It's really telling considering the influence card basically just gives you free points for doing something you're going to be doing anyway, maybe encouraging you to go a little further than you normally would to bag an extra point, but then there's cards that require you to spend like 5 spice to buy the point. Free point for putting a slightly above average investment in a particular strat, or a large amount of currency. One of these seems better than the other.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

A friend in my game group threw a late birthday party by having a boardgame weekend. Spirit Island with our respective girlfriends, The Estates (for the second time since I bought it, drat), then me and him stayed up til 4 am playing High Frontier 4. Then some more folks arrived the next day and we played Innovation and Spirit Island again. Came very close to playing my first 18XX. I think I'm satisfied for a while now. :)

HF4 was more fun and familiar in game terms than I expected, although the rules and terminology were dense as gently caress. We played it co-op and I managed to land on Mars and get my crew back to Earth. I still don't really understand all the intricacies of the weight and fuel track. Also the layout of the cards are busy and ugly.

Spirit Island still great, the second time we had some more experienced players and played on a higher difficulty level. It upped the challenge but mostly for the early to mid game. After that we managed to clear out the board pretty well and the game dragged on a bit by the end with 5 players using their multitude of powers to mop up remaining invaders.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Managed to get Spirit Island to the table. It was really good! Absolutely loved it. We had a fun time and I think it will hit the table again, but I had to run the game reading the rules to everyone because my friend had to switch the days we played. So a couple of questions that were slightly vague and I couldn’t figure out

1) How does exploration exactly work? I think we messed up at points. So when they explore, does a person get placed all chosen lands picked. So for example. If I draw jungle. Jungle has a city/town I put a person there, even if someone is already there? And if the jungle is next to an area that has a house/city it will get a person too? Oh, and the areas get one from the coast as well? That covers all the bases?

2) are you allowed to decide what goes where. So if a land has to cascade and it has three valid targets; but one area has none of our presence it’s totally valid to say “yeah it goes here and nothing happens”? To tie into that can we choose where damage goes? If there’s a city and town, and I do 3 damage, I can choose to destroy the town (city takes 1 damage) or solely destroy city.

3) I played a character that had an innate ability that lets you repeat a power card. My friend played a character that let you play a slow card as if it was fast. If I choose to repeat the card that he turned fast, does it count as a fast card twice? We said yea because the card itself changed.

—————

That’s all the main questions I had. Is there something that gets easily overlooked?

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

The Black Stones posted:

Managed to get Spirit Island to the table. It was really good! Absolutely loved it. We had a fun time and I think it will hit the table again, but I had to run the game reading the rules to everyone because my friend had to switch the days we played. So a couple of questions that were slightly vague and I couldn’t figure out

1) How does exploration exactly work? I think we messed up at points. So when they explore, does a person get placed all chosen lands picked. So for example. If I draw jungle. Jungle has a city/town I put a person there, even if someone is already there? And if the jungle is next to an area that has a house/city it will get a person too? Oh, and the areas get one from the coast as well? That covers all the bases?

2) are you allowed to decide what goes where. So if a land has to cascade and it has three valid targets; but one area has none of our presence it’s totally valid to say “yeah it goes here and nothing happens”? To tie into that can we choose where damage goes? If there’s a city and town, and I do 3 damage, I can choose to destroy the town (city takes 1 damage) or solely destroy city.

3) I played a character that had an innate ability that lets you repeat a power card. My friend played a character that let you play a slow card as if it was fast. If I choose to repeat the card that he turned fast, does it count as a fast card twice? We said yea because the card itself changed.

—————

That’s all the main questions I had. Is there something that gets easily overlooked?

1. You add an explorer to any land that contains or is next to a town/city, or the coast. So it sounds like you played it right.
2. Yep, you get to choose what goes where. So in that situation, you're totally allowed to cascade to the land of least import, and deal damage to whatever you want to deal damage to.
3. I don't think you're allowed to do that - copy effects copy cards as-written, I think, but this is probably not something covered in the rulebook anyway.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Spirit Island is so good.

I should PNP the mini expansion/promo spirits....

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Pseudoscorpion posted:

3. I don't think you're allowed to do that - copy effects copy cards as-written, I think, but this is probably not something covered in the rulebook anyway.

In the case of effects like Lightning's Boon, it directly alters the card for the purpose of it being repeated so even the repeated effect is fast. This is clarified in their knowledge base:

quote:

Effects reading "Use a Power as if it were (Fast/Slow)" should be interpreted as "Make a Power (Fast/Slow)", and would have been better phrased that way.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

CommonShore posted:

Spirit Island is so good.

I should PNP the mini expansion/promo spirits....

It's so so good. One of very very few games I'd play pretty much any time it was on offer. Played a 2p game with my wife as Thunderspeaker/Lure against Sweden 5 and had the first victory I can remember at terror level II by completely wiping the board of invaders. Felt very satisfying after having got smashed with the same setup the game before. Lure is nuts once they get going.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
While on the topic of Spirit Island, anyone have a good watch it played or cheat sheet for new players?
I have Spirit Island and the Branch and Claw expansion I'd like to get on the table with my group of 4 players

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Too Many Bones should have been a video game. I borrowed the huge chest super deluxe version from a friend and it is so much stuff and so much to track for what should be a simple game. Why is it so big and expensive when it could be a $20-$30 video game that could just run all the fiddly and boring bookkeeping?

I liked it, but drat, sooo fiddly for a light weight gamer like me.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

I'm not sure what would be *that* much better in videogame form, minus the copious amounts of setup. Status tracking is fine and I like an excuse to touch even more dice, and health tracking is incredibly satisfying with the chip stacks.

It certainly is a rules nightmare, though. But a videogame would be just as bad, provided you wanted to understand all the effects and interactions to overcome higher difficulties.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

The Black Stones posted:

Usually, you get to choose. Some powers and fear cards will specify you need to target a certain type of land (e.g. one with invaders and Dahan); you need to follow those to the letter. When the invaders attack the Dahan, you have to allocate the damage to kill as many Dahan as possible (but, if a player or event is inflicting damage, you can spread it out).

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kazzah posted:

Usually, you get to choose. Some powers and fear cards will specify you need to target a certain type of land (e.g. one with invaders and Dahan); you need to follow those to the letter. When the invaders attack the Dahan, you have to allocate the damage to kill as many Dahan as possible (but, if a player or event is inflicting damage, you can spread it out).

I believe Branch & Claw specified that events allocate Dahan damage efficiently, but spirits are definitely allowed to spread it around.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tiny Chalupa posted:

While on the topic of Spirit Island, anyone have a good watch it played or cheat sheet for new players?
I have Spirit Island and the Branch and Claw expansion I'd like to get on the table with my group of 4 players

Ah I don't have a video or anything but I've taught it to quite a few people, and I've found that lots of people overthink the rules. E.g. a couple weekends ago i showed it to a friend and after I defined the pieces and symbols I was like "ok the turn order is here, first thing we do is growth, where you choose one of these options where it says "Growth choose one", and it took it a minute for it to click that when it says "place a presence token, and then place another presence token" that there was no more to it or other restrictions. You just do what it says in the order it says, and there are no hidden rules. Then we had a similar thing happen with a card, and then after that he was good. That same type experience has happened more than once when I've taught the game: other games train us to expect a ton of hidden rules and restrictions beyond what the game presents, whereas Spirit Island will tell you what you can do, and if there's an exception there will be a big red X telling you as much. Nearly everyone says "oh it's way simpler than I thought it was at first ok" and then we play.

The questions in the post aboves are in this vein - players are allowed to distribute damage how they see fit, except if a card tells them that they must distribute it in a certain way. It's the easiest way with the fewest hidden rules that the players need to remember, except if the card says otherwise, and then just do what the card says.

The other most common rules error/misunderstanding that I see is that most player abilities / cards / powers target a land, and everything that the card does happens relative to the land (i.e. board space - sands/jungle/wetland/mountain) that the power targets, except if the power's text specifies otherwise (e.g. and in "two adjacent lands").

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

CommonShore posted:

Ah I don't have a video or anything but I've taught it to quite a few people, and I've found that lots of people overthink the rules. E.g. a couple weekends ago i showed it to a friend and after I defined the pieces and symbols I was like "ok the turn order is here, first thing we do is growth, where you choose one of these options where it says "Growth choose one", and it took it a minute for it to click that when it says "place a presence token, and then place another presence token" that there was no more to it or other restrictions. You just do what it says in the order it says, and there are no hidden rules. Then we had a similar thing happen with a card, and then after that he was good. That same type experience has happened more than once when I've taught the game: other games train us to expect a ton of hidden rules and restrictions beyond what the game presents, whereas Spirit Island will tell you what you can do, and if there's an exception there will be a big red X telling you as much. Nearly everyone says "oh it's way simpler than I thought it was at first ok" and then we play.

The questions in the post aboves are in this vein - players are allowed to distribute damage how they see fit, except if a card tells them that they must distribute it in a certain way. It's the easiest way with the fewest hidden rules that the players need to remember, except if the card says otherwise, and then just do what the card says.

The other most common rules error/misunderstanding that I see is that most player abilities / cards / powers target a land, and everything that the card does happens relative to the land (i.e. board space - sands/jungle/wetland/mountain) that the power targets, except if the power's text specifies otherwise (e.g. and in "two adjacent lands").

I also find Spirit Island's rules to be extremely easy to teach compared to other games its "weight".

Each of the 5 phases is simple enough and it gives a nice flow to the game. Each of them can be summarized in one minute, and the rest can be covered quickly too.

1. Spirit Phase
2. Fast power Phase
3. Invader Phase
4. Slow Power Phase
5. Time Passes

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Glagha posted:

I have played some Dune Imperium lately and I keep getting tricked into it even though I think I hate this game? I keep sitting down like "this is gonna be a fun game I like deck building and worker placement" and then I remember all the intrigue cards make everything on board completely irrelevant because someone just plays a card that puts like 5 units into the conflict out of nowhere at the end of the game (this has happened every single game I swear) suddenly reveals they had like +4 points in a 10 point game from an intrigue card.

Is this game just trash? Am I out of my mind? Am I the only one who thinks this game is calvinball nonsense?

I am glad I am not the only person who thinks this. People use the "BuT oNcE yOu KnOw ThE iNtRiGuE cArDs!" defense, but i was sorta having fun on my first few times until a loving card is played that made my whole turn meaningless; a card i had zero way of knowing if someone has or not; and that sours everything, esp. on the first few times I played. Like, someone has 1 intrigue card and is holdin on to it, and there is zero way to know what that card is, but you can be drat sure it will ruin SOMEONE'S fun at some point. "But that is part of the politics!" Yes, it's also part of the bad design.

Which sucks, because I like really like the cards/WP integration.

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 26, 2021

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I played Hallertau and it's a clever little game but really left me feeling cold. The little mechanisms all work fine but the cards you draw are all so different in utility and power that it really negatively affects the game. In a game where tempo is so important some cards really help your tempo and some just don't and it's luck of the draw which ones you get.

I'll need to play it some more but I'm not really feeling it, though I'm not a massive fan of a lot of Rosenberg's games.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Aramoro posted:

I played Hallertau and it's a clever little game but really left me feeling cold. The little mechanisms all work fine but the cards you draw are all so different in utility and power that it really negatively affects the game. In a game where tempo is so important some cards really help your tempo and some just don't and it's luck of the draw which ones you get.

I'll need to play it some more but I'm not really feeling it, though I'm not a massive fan of a lot of Rosenberg's games.

Yeah. It's also too much about the community center building for my taste. I like the general mechanism, but it seemed to be really The Way to Win as opposed to something that merely influenced ways to win.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Got gifted Wingspan yesterday and played it. I have a single play (which I won :smug:), and I gotta say, I LOVE that the bonus/challenge cards asking you to collect certain birds will tell you the distribution of those cards. "Collect 5 or more birds with wingspans of 65cm or greater (21% of deck)"
It's such a nice concession to new players so you don't have to have a lot of experience to know whether your goal you selected is going to be impossible.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah I thought Wingspan was really mediocre overall but that's one quality of life improvement I'd like every other game to copy

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Eraflure posted:

Yeah I thought Wingspan was really mediocre overall but that's one quality of life improvement I'd like every other game to copy

I think Bohnanza does something similar?

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

PerniciousKnid posted:

I think Bohnanza does something similar?

Yeah, not quite a challenge card but a lot of games with set collection gimmicks let you know exactly how many are in the set before you set out on your quest to Catch 'Em All. 5 Tribes does it with the market goods.

I don't think many games give you a hard percentage breakdown on the distribution throughout the deck but I imagine someone with the inclination could probably math it out. Civ does it too by showing you the amount of goods of each type available to reach your full set and the corresponding value (useful to see when someone is telling you they just need one more and you notice that would give them another million in points so nuts to that!).

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Fairy Tale also tells you exactly how many of each card is in the deck. It doesn't give a percent, but given that there's about a hundred cards total it's an easy calculation.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

FulsomFrank posted:

I don't think many games give you a hard percentage breakdown on the distribution throughout the deck but I imagine someone with the inclination could probably math it out.

Well I think a lot of games (like Bohnanza) vary the number of cards in the deck by player count so you can't give percentages. But everyone should at least give a card count.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Eraflure posted:

We keep a few very attractive, pretty mediocre games around as introductions to modern board games. Two of them are Pan Am and Wingspan. The card percentages in Wingspan compare very favorably to Pan Am's event deck. I get that it's a stock market and should be able to display volatility, but it's a feature hostile to new players, especially at the end of the deck. Pan Am is still amazing to people who have only ever played Sorry! and Clue(do), of course.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I’ve enjoyed Istanbul every time I’ve played it but the person who owns it hasn’t been at board game meetups lately, so I was looking at getting the istanbul big box myself, although I haven’t played the expansions before. are they an improvement/is the big box worth it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

homullus posted:

We keep a few very attractive, pretty mediocre games around as introductions to modern board games. Two of them are Pan Am and Wingspan. The card percentages in Wingspan compare very favorably to Pan Am's event deck. I get that it's a stock market and should be able to display volatility, but it's a feature hostile to new players, especially at the end of the deck. Pan Am is still amazing to people who have only ever played Sorry! and Clue(do), of course.

You aren't fond of Pan Am? I've had it in my shopping cart for a while but just hold off pulling the trigger for some reason despite the fact I've heard nothing but good things.

Has anyone played Faiyum yet? I've read a bit about it and almost everyone loves it and it sounds great but its price in CanuckBux is ridiculous and I am getting very picky with my Euros lately.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I’ve enjoyed Istanbul every time I’ve played it but the person who owns it hasn’t been at board game meetups lately, so I was looking at getting the istanbul big box myself, although I haven’t played the expansions before. are they an improvement/is the big box worth it?

Depends who you ask. They're pretty modular and if you play a lot of Istanbul I would recommend them all at least for you to see if they add enough to make you happy or not. That said, we play with the first expansion the most and don't touch the second as much. Ultimately we still just play vanilla Istanbul generally because the extra stuff adds just a bit too much extra rules remembering and fiddlyness for our tastes. Can you get the base game by itself anymore?

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 27, 2021