Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I have a couple of the cheap electronic standing desk frames and use these tops. They're entirely fine, and even look nice. My personal desk uses a white top and I really like it. I think I paid $140 for the desk frame on top of whatever Ikea wants for the table top. Bonus is the desk frame has support bars underneath so it ends up being sturdier than using normal Ikea legs.

Budgie posted:

The LINNMON table top is a good temporary solution. I had a 150x80cm version of that with the cheapest legs and after 14 months of use it definitely wasn't a flat surface any more. This was with a dual monitor setup and placing the PC directly above the legs. Glad to have my BEKANT back, the metal frame and solid desk top mitigate the bowing that happened over time.
Thanks for the feedback. I'll try to pick up a pair of Linnmon desk tops this weekend at Ikea, hopefully they won't be out of stock.

Do you think I would be able to use clamp-style monitor arms with them? I have 2 and would use them with 27" monitors. The crossbar from the desk frame would probably be clamped in, though this may cause the clamp to be unstable.

Would I need to do anything to secure the top to the frame, or would the weight of everything be enough? I've removed the metal puck spacers that the glass was glued to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I would definitely use some wood screws. If your frame doesn’t have holes currently, you might have to drill them or get creative. Some pictures would be helpful if you’re unsure. Adhesive might be feasible too, but really you’d want that and some sort of fastener.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try to pick up a pair of Linnmon desk tops this weekend at Ikea, hopefully they won't be out of stock.

Do you think I would be able to use clamp-style monitor arms with them? I have 2 and would use them with 27" monitors. The crossbar from the desk frame would probably be clamped in, though this may cause the clamp to be unstable.

Would I need to do anything to secure the top to the frame, or would the weight of everything be enough? I've removed the metal puck spacers that the glass was glued to.

Yes absolutely, I have a 38” ultra wide + laptop arm on my personal desk and a 32” + two 24” monitors on my work desk, all on arms.

I use random wood screws in mine to keep it on. Feels sturdy. Keep in mind there are parts of the top that are reinforced for legs and other parts that are hollow and structure is corrugated paper.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
If you’re worried about a clamp arm on an inexpensive ikea hollow/particle board tabletop, try using a 1x4 or something similar underneath the tabletop to distribute some of the pressure

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Josh Lyman posted:

I was working on the right desk when this randomly happened today:

Holy poo poo, that must've made one hell of a crash.

I'm just picturing you making one-too-many mouse clicks than the glass could handle. Nailing a 360 noscope that makes your desk explode.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 4, 2022

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

I have an irrational fear of tempered glass surfaces, even for occasionally feared surfaces, due to spontaneous shattering stories.

FWIW, I had a cheap particleboard surface from IKEA with two different monitor arms over its life time - a single post and a double gas arm one. The single post one I HAD to overtighten and dent my desk, otherwise it would rattle at rest (eg. if a car drove by) or with articulation adjustments, but the double armed gas one was way more stable in all cases without having to overtighten it and damaging my desk - and I think it having a wider base + gas arms played a big role in that.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I picked up a couple of Linnmon desk tops and I think I discovered why the glass top originally broke. The front cross support of the desk frame is slightly warped downward on the right side, so if I exert downward force in the mousing area, the desk top will wobble. Would filling that gap with 3M sticky pads or something be a viable solution?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 6, 2022

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I’d shim it and screw the frame to the desktop. A couple of those should probably do the trick.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Josh Lyman posted:

I picked up a couple of Linnmon desk tops and I think I discovered why the glass top originally broke. The front cross support of the desk frame is slightly warped downward on the right side, so if I exert downward force in the mousing area, the desk top will wobble. Would filling that gap with 3M sticky pads or something be a viable solution?

that frame is cooked; just get a new one (also some velcro cable ties so you can stop living like poo poo)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

TenementFunster posted:

that frame is cooked; just get a new one (also some velcro cable ties so you can stop living like poo poo)
Between the bent left frame and the Linnmon being slightly too shallow, I agree I need to just get a whole desk. What do you guys think of the Trotten? https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/trotten-desk-white-s29424942/

2 of these side by side would be about 15” longer than my old setup, which is nice since it was a bit cramped with my 4 monitors. I might also be able to use arms for my 27” (the stands are poo poo).

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Mar 11, 2022

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

So I've moved into a new place and have no furniture and a ton of space in what will be my computer room. I want to build a good desk setup from the get go. I have a tower computer, wired keyboard and mouse, and want to use monitors on arms. My main monitor serves as a USB hub, which helps. There is a good chance I'll upgrade once again and make it my second monitor. All my stuff is in transit across the ocean right now so I don't really have access to specifics, but this is something I want to start thinking about.

I'm not really sure where to start looking with regards to doing this. Should I pick my desk first and build it from there? I'm in Tokyo now so I've been looking through the nittori catalog but nothing too amazing has jumped out at me. Thoughts? Guides? Tips?

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

Between the bent left frame and the Linnmon being slightly too shallow, I agree I need to just get a whole desk. What do you guys think of the Trotten? https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/trotten-desk-white-s29424942/

2 of these side by side would be about 15” longer than my old setup, which is nice since it was a bit cramped with my 4 monitors. I might also be able to use arms for my 27” (the stands are poo poo).

I've been using a desk made of a KARLBY oak tabletop and four OLOV (at least OLOV-like) table legs for the past couple of years. The setup is pretty good but I have to say, if I was putting it together today I would not hesitate to pay more for some kind of frame that is height adjustable. Even if you sit down all day it's really important to be able to dial in a comfortable height.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Oh hey, a desk thread! I have a question I've been struggling with for a while, maybe you folks can help.

I have a white Hemnes desk from Ikea and I love this janky iconic thing. Unfortunately, I also have a Herman Miller Aeron that's almost as old as me, and either the pneumatics need a refresh or there seems to have been some changes in desk height over that time (or both) because even at its highest setting, it still leaves my arms slightly below level with the desk. This causes them to rest on it in a way that pushes my shoulders upward just enough to cause increasing pain throughout the day. If I slouch deeply this goes away because my arms stretch out level and take the pressure off my shoulders, so I have a tendency to do that throughout the day, which is obviously also not great. At the same time this combo somehow doesn't leave me enough room for an under-desk keyboard tray (I have big goony gams I guess), and the Hemnes has a little reinforcing slat underneath that would block a tray anyway.

I've considered trying to shave a bit off the Hemnes' legs, but I know how futile trying to do that evenly would be. And my partner's desk has the same issue but worse, and that desk is a particle board monster we couldn't trim if we wanted to. Desk/chair replacement isn't really an option for either of us right now (I like the style/layout of my desk, we can't find another one small enough to fit in her space, and neither of us can afford to replace these Aerons), and WFH means we're at these desks all drat day. So if anyone has tricks or tips we're not thinking of, it would be life-changing.

Tl;dr: what do I do if my desk is too high to rest my arms on ergonomically from my (or maybe any?) chair, but I can't use a keyboard tray?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Unsinkabear posted:

I've considered trying to shave a bit off the Hemnes' legs, but I know how futile trying to do that evenly would be.

Tl;dr: what do I do if my desk is too high to rest my arms on ergonomically from my (or maybe any?) chair, but I can't use a keyboard tray?

If you have a drill and a bit of DIY confidence, you could always cut more than you need to off, then install some levelling feet. That way you won't have to be super precise with your cuts.

https://smile.amazon.com/Furniture-Levelers-Adjustable-Leveling-Threaded/dp/B09B2F13BR

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

If you have a drill and a bit of DIY confidence, you could always cut more than you need to off, then install some levelling feet. That way you won't have to be super precise with your cuts.

https://smile.amazon.com/Furniture-Levelers-Adjustable-Leveling-Threaded/dp/B09B2F13BR

I do have a drill and some confidence (competence is another matter entirely), but will need to borrow tools from a friend to do the actual cutting.

This was my thought too, but I was really hoping for another option because completely emptying this fucker out in order to turn it in its side is going to be a real chore. I guess I'll order a set and reach out to my buddy.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

T470 is hooked up to life support

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Cheese Thief posted:

T470 is hooked up to life support

Somehow your cable management still looks better than mine...

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Hughmoris posted:

Somehow your cable management still looks better than mine...

It helps that the oled monitor is usb-c powered, which the t470 has.

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

what the f/2.8 is going on here!
New Dell QD-OLED monitor arrived today, replacing my trusty LG 34UM95-P from 2014. I tell you Hwat, from 60Hz and no Gsync to 175Hz with Gsync (well, 144 because running in 10bit mode) is something else. Cyberpunk never felt so instant and smooth.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

mrk posted:

New Dell QD-OLED monitor arrived today, replacing my trusty LG 34UM95-P from 2014. I tell you Hwat, from 60Hz and no Gsync to 175Hz with Gsync (well, 144 because running in 10bit mode) is something else. Cyberpunk never felt so instant and smooth.

:nice:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

mrk posted:

Nice desktop, and even nicer photos. Are you playing Cyberpunk on that laptop?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
That's the new display tech right? That thing looks great.

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

Barry posted:

Hughmoris posted:

Nice desktop, and even nicer photos. Are you playing Cyberpunk on that laptop?

Cheers!

The laptop is just for work, it isn't connected to the monitor tbh, my gaming and editing PC is under the desk :p

And yes to Cyberpunk! Psycho RTX where possible, Ultra everything else, Gsync Ultimate makes things so smooth and lag free it's unreal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTixa65LQkc

Barry posted:

QD-OLED yeah, only monitor out now with it. Expect it to be all the range within the next 12 months as Samsung and LG and maybe others release models.

mrk fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 24, 2022

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

mrk posted:

OK that thing looks pretty sick... might have to get the company to pick one up.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
It has a glossy screen coating too right? I cannot stand matte screens.

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

It's glossy yep. It's not so glossy you can see your face in it but it's glossy all the same and the AR coating does a good job and controlling glare as well.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Interesting sub pixel matrix. Similiar to a shadow mask PC CRT.

https://twitter.com/splainte/status/1503427536608505860?s=21

Would you mind testing to a non native (lower) resolution? I am very interested to know how bilinear scaling looks with this kind of matrix.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 25, 2022

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

What resolution did you have in mind? I note that in Windows, 2560x1080 is not available on this monitor, which is the next level lower for a 21:9 resolution.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

KingEup posted:

Would you mind testing to a non native (lower) resolution? I am very interested to know how bilinear scaling looks with this kind of matrix.
what loving language is that? a dutch guy trying to speak portuguese in a turkish accent? i think i smell toast

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

TenementFunster posted:

what loving language is that? a dutch guy trying to speak portuguese in a turkish accent? i think i smell toast

Looks like standard French to me, I haven't studied it since high school but between what I do remember and the tech jargon I have enough context to get the gist of it.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

mrk posted:

What resolution did you have in mind? I note that in Windows, 2560x1080 is not available on this monitor, which is the next level lower for a 21:9 resolution.

Yeah I was thinking 2560x1080. Don’t worry about setting a custom resolution if it’s too much trouble.

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

Ah no worries, I can confirm though that 2560x1440 and other variants of 1440 etc are perfectly fine. The scaler puts vertical letterboxes on either side when using 2560x1440, but because it's OLED, they're basically invisible. I haven't played around with a custom res yet but I cannot see this being an issue really but only something you'd use in gaming situations if your GPU was not capable of pushing decent frames to the native 3440x1440.

I'll give it a go a bit later if you do want to know though.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

KingEup posted:

So this guy is saying it is really bad at text and image editing? I have one on order and other people have mentioned this and now I am kind of questioning whether I should get one.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sun discussion of the sub pixel layout here

https://youtu.be/L3Y6SxpedLk

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 25, 2022

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

Rusty posted:

So this guy is saying it is really bad at text and image editing? I have one on order and other people have mentioned this and now I am kind of questioning whether I should get one.

I edit photos and browse many sites/read etc. Text is not an issue if you are actually sat at your workstation like a normal human being.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

mrk posted:

I edit photos and browse many sites/read etc. Text is not an issue if you are actually sat at your workstation like a normal human being.
Okay, good to hear.

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

Got my new monitor in, so here’s my bad posting station:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Origin posted:

Got my new monitor in, so here’s my bad posting station:

Nice! What monitor is that?

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

Nice! What monitor is that?

It would be a Dell U3821DW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Origin posted:

It would be a Dell U3821DW.

Holy moly, a 38" monitor? I remember back in '08ish I thought I was a trend setter amongst my friends with a 27" Samsung panel I got for a steal. People who used it loved the idea of having one big monitor.

Now I'm intrigued on what a 38" monitor would be like to use on a standard computer desk.