Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
So we just finished our month-long road trip around Norway and Sweden and I've gotta say - Norway is probably the first country I've ever been proper disappointed by. The landscapes are incredible, probably the most beautiful in the world, but everything about living there just seems so miserable. Expensive food, expensive drinks, even supermarket food is expensive. Museums are expensive. It rains all the time. The roads are reasonably maintained but SO SLOW - I think we'd been driving there for nearly two weeks before we saw anything over 80km/h. I didn't find Norwegians particularly friendly either (Swedes much more so), and outside of a few parts of Oslo and Trondheim it felt kinda redneck.

Apologies to any Norwegians who read this thread!

Edit; oh yeah, and no takeaway alcohol sales after 6pm on saturdays wtf? And completely closed on Sunday? In Australia when the government mandated no more takeaway alcohol sales after 10pm (previously was midnight) there were literally protests in the streets and the Premier had to resign because he was so politically tainted.

webmeister fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jun 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Entropist posted:

Well, there are a bunch of ppl itt who have written about South Tirol but I guess if you've seen the Dolomites that covers that. I also haven't been further north than Bolzano to see what it's like on the Austrian side. I know it's popular with Dutch and German tourists, also in summer, but I don't know if it's any different from the Swiss Alps besides being cheaper...

Yeah, South Tirol is awesome. I was wondering if I was missing out by having never really spent time in the part of Austria that was not given to Italy in 1918.

Norway is funny for its speed limits. I went on a Swiss roadtrip with a friend and these two Norwegian exchange students we picked up at a party a few years ago, and they were constantly freaked out that I was going 120 kph on the highways. Which is the speed limit here. And I'm not an aggressive driver, like I have a Prius ffs. We had to put them in the back seats for any driving that was on the autoroutes so that they couldn't see the speedometer.

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

Betazoid posted:

Hi, Spain-goons! I have a few questions if anyone is around.

1a. BILBAO: My husband wants to watch some of the Real Madrid-Liverpool match somewhere in Bilbao tomorrow. Any good football clubs? We are staying in the San Mames area and might go party in Deusto if it's cool?

1b. BILBAO: We will also be spending our last night in Spain in Bilbao, June 3. (Yay for super cheap flights!) Is there anything that's a must-do? I had already planned on shopping in Plaza Nueva for Basque food/drink to take home, and I want to do an evening paseo by the Guggenheim (and see Koons' Puppy) and walk on the Zubizuri. Everything I've researched so far has been on TripAdvisor, so a local's takes for cool spots would be great. My husband is a photographer, so scenic walks would be great.

2. SEVILLE: We'll be in there for one night, and I don't know anything about it other than, like, flamenco? We're staying in the Old Town. With one night, I feel a little overwhelmed. I don't want to see a bullfight.

3. MALAGA: Is it worth taking a bus to El Chorro to climb the Arab Staircase? We are really outdoorsy, and this looked like a good option if the weather holds out. Is there anything better within a bus ride of Málaga that's a local's secret? I really wanted to walk el Caminito del Rey but it's sold out for our dates.

4. MADRID: Is it worth taking the bus to Manzanares el Real to hike to El Yelmo? I heard it's like 5-8 hours of just hiking, so that would basically be a full day with the bus to Manzanares el Real, then walking to Canto Cochino, then the hike itself to El Yelmo.

Any tips on Bilbao / Seville / Málaga / Madrid super welcomed. I have only been to Barcelona, and my husband has never been to Spain. He speaks rough Spanish and I know a few phrases.

Trip update for anyone who is also going to Spain: This was one of the most amazing trips! Spain is utterly gorgeous, the Spanish are some of the nicest people, and the culture is just awesome.

Bilbao: Everything I read about how to order pintxos was wrong. The locals do it entirely differently, and thank god for the nice Spanish people who showed us how to point at what we wanted. The evening paseo along the river by the Guggenheim was very cool, and I'd also recommend taking the funicular up to Mount Artxanda.

Seville: The old town was very cool and the cathedral was beautiful. We didn't go in, but we enjoyed walking around it. Plaza de Espana was also very pretty, and we took the obligatory photo in the same spot as Padme and Anakin. It was amusing to see literally every single Chinese tour guide pull out a phone and show their tour group the movie still, though. We also toured the Seville bullfighting ring, and the tour was pretty neat.

Málaga: BRB, moving to Málaga! The beach was just okay (dark sand, very crowded, not enough beach bars), but the town was great, as long as you get away from the big shopping street that looks identical to every other European high-end shopping street. We did take a 30-minute train to El Chorro to hike the Arab Staircase, and it was the highlight of the trip. The landscape was beautiful and it was a peaceful, remote area. I also recommend the Picasso museum in town. Best meal: la Taberna de Cervantes. Best tapas: La Tranca.

Madrid: Kind of a letdown after Málaga, but I think that's because I prefer nature over cities on my vacations. I hurt my hip on the Arab Staircase, so we didn't hike in la Pedriza at all. Instead of staying in Madrid, we did day trips to Segovia (AMAZING) and Toledo (nice, but not amazing). It was so easy to take a high-speed train to see another town, so we took advantage. In the evenings, we went to Malasana for drinks and dinner. One evening we took the Metro out to Parque Cerro del Tío Pío, which is a beautiful park up on a hill. There's a bar and a little bandstand, where we listened to a few drum performances.

Anyway, Spain is amazing. That was one of the nicest vacations I've ever taken, and I just wish it could have been longer.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Betazoid posted:

Málaga: BRB, moving to Málaga! The beach was just okay (dark sand, very crowded, not enough beach bars), but the town was great, as long as you get away from the big shopping street that looks identical to every other European high-end shopping street.
Next time take the bus over to El Palo, a district to the east. The beach is much better, less crowded, and lined with good seafood restaurants, and only some of those were tourist traps. Especially the experience of eating at El Tintero is quite unique, although I don't know how authentic that is. There's no menu, instead the waiters go around with plates of food and you can ask for them. You pay for the number of plates at the end. They had tasty stuff, though not necessarily the best.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Aloha, again

It turns out that after our Amsterdam, Düsseldorf, Rome jaunt, we're going to NYC for a week (which I knew), but now after that we're going to Zürich for a week.

So instead of another week in NYC, I figure we'll go to the Oberland region, of which I know nothing, but my wife has fond memories of. She remembers it being beautiful and going up a gondola and walking down a hill through a cow pasture, and that's it.

Any suggestions for either of those places would be good. I've almost reached my limit in terms of being able to plan things.

Also! I had four years of Deutsche 16 years ago. Should I attempt to use my limited amount of German, or will that annoy people more than just speaking English like the tourist I obviously am?

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I just came back from Oberland. After spending a few days in Luzern my wife and I had 4 days staying in Wengen and used that as a base to do some easy hikes on the various mountains.

Wengen is a tiny town up the side of a mountains and was a really relaxed place to stay, with good train/gondola connections up the mountain and down into the valley. There are a ton of hikes you can do but I found this site:

http://www.momstotszurich.com/category/region/bernese-oberland/jungfrau-region/

that really helpfully lists our various ones with pictures, directions, travel info, food stops, etc. do you don’t have to plan. It’s focused on hiking for families with kids but we still found it a really useful guide.

As it was still early/mid June when we went the weather wasn’t always great, so we had a list of hikes we wanted to do and depending on the weather each morning we’d pick one ( I wanted to do the Eiger trail but it was still closed due to snow).

The tourist and train station offices in that region are so helpful and have so many maps and speak perfect English it’s easy to get by. The Swiss have basically built a cog rail or gondola up every mountain so travel is easy. We were there for a week and bought the half-fare pass (available online) which saved loads of money. If you’re just sticking to the Jungfrau region I believe there’s a travel pass for there.

Let me know if you have any specific questions about the region as it’s very fresh in my mind.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

Aloha, again

It turns out that after our Amsterdam, Düsseldorf, Rome jaunt, we're going to NYC for a week (which I knew), but now after that we're going to Zürich for a week.

So instead of another week in NYC, I figure we'll go to the Oberland region, of which I know nothing, but my wife has fond memories of. She remembers it being beautiful and going up a gondola and walking down a hill through a cow pasture, and that's it.

Any suggestions for either of those places would be good. I've almost reached my limit in terms of being able to plan things.

Also! I had four years of Deutsche 16 years ago. Should I attempt to use my limited amount of German, or will that annoy people more than just speaking English like the tourist I obviously am?

By "either of those places" do you mean Oberland and NYC? Or Oberland and Zurich-area?

How fit are both of you? Like could you both do a 1 mile vertical hike (e.g. 4-5 hours up at a normal reasonably-athletic pace)? Or would you want to take lifts? Would you be renting a car? (It's usually MUCH cheaper to get around Switzerland by car than by train, but has the added hassle of having to find a parking place that's cheap or free.) Triftbrücke is an interesting nearby hike that can be done either trivially—by taking the lift 95% of the way—or in a medium-difficult hike from the top of the road, i.e. fine for someone who's not really fit, but not fat either, but you'd probably be sore the next day if you never run or go up lots of stairs. Other places nearby: Sherlock Holmes died at Reichenbach Falls, which I've never actually been to but I hear is lovely. The Trümmelbach Falls — just next to Lauterbrunnen — are also pretty neat, as they're all underground in a weird vertical cave system that you can walk through. Nearby is the Schilthorn which has, in many ways, a better view of the area than Jungfrau. It is also possible to hike up the Schilthorn and you can use lifts to make it easier or harder depending on where you want to start. Jungfrau cannot be hiked up casually, you have to take the $200-per-person train.

If you are going to take more than one lift up to the top, or if you are going to take trains, you will absolutely 100% want to buy the half-price card (halbtax / demi-tarif) as this will almost immediately pay for itself by making all trains and lifts in Switzerland half-price. One of the most irritating things to me about Switzerland is they charge foreigners loving double price on the already-very-expensive trains and mountain lifts.

Don't bother with German unless it's decent enough to order a meal or drink or whatever. If you have a more complicated question just ask it in English. You can start off with "entschuldigung, sprechen sie Englisch?" if you want but anywhere near Interlaken or Zurich the answer will always be "yes" for anyone under 50, and most people in the 50-70 age range.

I have more suggestions around the Zurich area too but won't bother writing it up if you're spending all your time in the Bernese oberland.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
It will be at least 5 days in Zürich, and I'll be mostly alone as we're there for a conference for my wife.

Ideally, we'd like to do some hiking, but she has MS so anything too strenuous is probably out. Maybe something where we could ride up and then amble down with the remainder of the day. It sounds like there are options for that, so I just need to dig in and do some research!

I was planning for rail travel exclusively, as European driving, generally, has terrified me. Ireland and England, at least. I'm not remotely skilled enough to handle tiny roads.

Thank you both for the suggestions thus far! You've given me a place to start.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

It will be at least 5 days in Zürich, and I'll be mostly alone as we're there for a conference for my wife.

Ideally, we'd like to do some hiking, but she has MS so anything too strenuous is probably out. Maybe something where we could ride up and then amble down with the remainder of the day. It sounds like there are options for that, so I just need to dig in and do some research!

I was planning for rail travel exclusively, as European driving, generally, has terrified me. Ireland and England, at least. I'm not remotely skilled enough to handle tiny roads.

Yeah, there are still an absolute ton of places you can go up, literally more than you could do in an entire season even if you took something different every day. Sometimes they take you right to the top (Schilthorn, Jungfrau, Pilatus, Rigi, Klingenstock, Santis, ...) and other times they take you pretty close and it's just half an hour or so to the actual top (e.g. Triftbrucke, Grosser Mythen, Niederbauen Chulm).

There are some tiny roads in Switzerland, but none that you would come across without specifically planning to go on an unusual route. Usually they are either dead-end mountain roads, or they are unusual bypasses used only by locals. Mountain driving in Switzerland is very easy. City driving is a hassle if you don't have a GPS, but traffic is never really all that bad except in Geneva. Like I've never seen gridlock in Zurich except when something exceptional is going on (major accident, major parade..). I'd seriously consider / recommend renting a car when you leave Zurich and head to the Bernese Oberland. The trains in Switzerland are nice, but the freedom of a car is great, especially considering some areas in the Oberland only have a bus like once per hour so you're a slave to the schedule, and a lot of sights (like Trummelbach Falls) are really only worth like an hour or hour and a half before you want to go elsewhere.

Nearby Zurich the main things are Uetliberg (the hill overlooking the city), Rapperswil (cute town on the other side of the lake), Rheinfall (biggest waterfall in Europe), Stein am Rhein (cute town on the Rhine), Einsielden (massive abbey in the middle of nowhere), Grosser Mythen (one of the most famous and distinctive mountains in Switzerland, like a mini Matterhorn; easy to hike up with lift assistance), St Gallen (has an old abbey and a famous library though IMO not worth the day trip unless you're really into old books, and they do have some cool ones), Lucerne, Lenzburg (nearby castle, probably the coolest castle near to Zurich), Kyburg (a less cool castle next to Winterthur), and then there's Zurich itself which has a neat old town, some shops on Hauptbahnstrasse that sell absolutely outrageously expensive stuff ($2000 for a child's t-shirt?? sign me up!), a really nice riverwalk, and some nice bar areas.

I live in Zurich and would be willing to show you/both of you around a bit of ZH and go out for a drink in the evening one day. If you're interested send me a PM with your dates and I'll see if I'm around then.

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

Beachcomber posted:

I spent a few days around Zurich and Luzern last year with my family. For in Zurich, no need to bother with a car. We bought the Zurichcards which gave free public transport in the metro Zurich area. We took the tram 99% of the time as there was a stop right outside our flat. With the exception of one older lady cashier in a grocery store, everyone spoke English and we never had to try to speak our butchered German. The card, in addition to the public transit, got you free or reduced admission to tons of museums and attractions. The Fraumunster was by far my favorite, my wife had to drag me away from the Chagal windows after an hour because the kids were getting restless. There was also a small toy museum that we really enjoyed as well. And a cruise on the lake was just a couple of francs additional with the card, that was a nice relaxing way to see some of Lake Zurich. I had planned to take the kids on a hike that's a scale model of the solar systems thats about 2km in length, all relatively flat, but we didn't end up having time for that. That was up on Uetliberg iirc.

When we went to Luzern, we rented at car as we needed it for the rest of our trip. Driving it Switzerland (and Germany as well) was easy, the motorways are easy to navigate and, while we never really went anywhere out of the way, the roads were nothing like the little B roads in the UK. We went to a glass blowing factory near Luzern called Glasi Hergiswil that we really enjoyed, I'm not sure we could have got there if we didn't have a car. Parking in Luzern was easy, we parked in a big parking garage attached to a mall and walked the town.

Bring your wallet as there no such thing as budget options in or around Zurich. Luzern was marginally cheaper, but not much. Our next stop was Munich and it seemed like everything cost about a third of what it did in Zurich.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

uli2000 posted:

Bring your wallet as there no such thing as budget options in or around Zurich. Luzern was marginally cheaper, but not much. Our next stop was Munich and it seemed like everything cost about a third of what it did in Zurich.

There's always kebab! You can get a kebab for $10 anywhere in Switzerland, with a price so regionally consistent I suspect it's a regulated-price food like milk or butter. But yeah otherwise $80-$100 for a two person dinner is a pretty standard dinner estimate for an out-of-center neighborhood restaurant for a shared appetizer, main course each, and a single drink each. Eating out in Zurich is expensive even by Swiss standards.

It still gets me when even a 33 cl coke zero at a kebab restaurant in a suburban place is like $4-$5, even after almost 10 years here.

E: The Zurich card is a good idea, hadn't thought about it but yeah it's a good deal.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 29, 2018

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Whats the best way to see Prague castle? Just got into my hostel and i plan to do it tomorrow. I can do it for free with the hostel tours but a woman i met in budapest told me its easy to spend a whole day there

E: also recomend me on where to go next, I was thinking krakow and warsaw then germany. I wasnt going to go to poland but Id like to see Auschwitz while I'm there, visiting the house of terror and synagogue graveyard in Budapest really had an impact on me. From there I'm not sure any more

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 30, 2018

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Krakow is a great city and I'd recommend a few days there. Auschwitz day-trips are a pretty standard thing unless you're super keen to do it yourself, though be aware that because it's so busy you're stuck with a group and have no time to wander. The irony of getting bussed in and herded around like cattle wasn't lost on me. I still think it's an important place to visit, but other concentration camps had a stronger effect on me. Also be prepared for hordes of Israeli teenagers laughing and mucking around like they're at summer camp which drove me loving nuts.

If you're in Krakow as well, the Royal Salt mines nearby might be worth a look. I wasn't particularly expecting much from a former salt mine but it was actually quite interesting.

Prague castle we did on a Sandeman's free walking tour, which took about 2-3 hours from memory. You can definitely spend most of the day there, but we were there just after Christmas and it was -5 and sleeting so not particularly pleasant.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I can imagine. I bet the city would be amazing with a bit of snow though. This is the city Brisbane wants to be, I think.

I did see those salt mines on some sites and yeah I wasnt expecting much from them either but I'm still gunna go. Good to lnow its good.

Cant beleive Israeli's would be messing around in Auschwitz. Their families were there in living memory what the hell. That makes me angry.
What other camps should I see, given the chance.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Majdanek was empty, completely self guided and very depressing. It's less like a museum compared to other camps, just a very well preserved concentration camp. I dont think it's near the tourist parts of Poland though, I was there on work.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

underage at the vape shop posted:

Cant beleive Israeli's would be messing around in Auschwitz. Their families were there in living memory what the hell. That makes me angry.
What other camps should I see, given the chance.

The one that had a huge impact on me was Mauthausen but that's in western Austria and not much help to you!

And yeah I honestly couldn't believe it either. The whole time you're walking around feeling vaguely sick, thinking about what happened here, the guide is telling stories of things that happened, you see the shoe room, the hair room, the gas chambers, the furnaces. And yeah the whole time there's just groups of Israeli teenagers giggling and yelling and playing music on speakerphone like they're at the beach.

I kind of understand in one sense, that they're probably 15 and on their first real trip away from home/parents, but really? Really?

Wouldn't have happened when I was a lad img_oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I am not an Israeli teenager, but I suspect that Teenagers will do this anywhere you make them go that they don't want to be. There are probably more tour groups of teenagers from Israel than other places, rather than just single family units where the parents can enforce at least the appearance of awe and horror.

Kids are dumb.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Teenagers are goddamn awful no matter where you go.

Edit: I'm in desperate need of a few days somewhere where I can be blissfully bored... which would seem to be the ideal beach experience, but I'm very much not a beach person (I sunburn after like 5 minutes near water). Anyone have any recommendations for cheaper getaways, probably more central/northern Europe, ideally also near some kind of body of water? Ideally something relatively cheap for two people where I can lounge around in a pretty location and read a book and just casually drink for two-three days without having to look at any kind of computer monitor or smartphone screen. I'm located near Frankfurt so travel anywhere is pretty easy.

Maybe Rügen? I've only been up to the Baltic coast once (Timmendorfer Strand for a day with the in-laws) and quite liked it, though it was absolutely flooded with retirees.

Drone fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jul 2, 2018

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

Drone posted:

Teenagers are goddamn awful no matter where you go.

Edit: I'm in desperate need of a few days somewhere where I can be blissfully bored... which would seem to be the ideal beach experience, but I'm very much not a beach person (I sunburn after like 5 minutes near water). Anyone have any recommendations for cheaper getaways, probably more central/northern Europe, ideally also near some kind of body of water? Ideally something relatively cheap for two people where I can lounge around in a pretty location and read a book and just casually drink for two-three days without having to look at any kind of computer monitor or smartphone screen. I'm located near Frankfurt so travel anywhere is pretty easy.

Maybe Rügen? I've only been up to the Baltic coast once (Timmendorfer Strand for a day with the in-laws) and quite liked it, though it was absolutely flooded with retirees.

When I need to reset my clock I love to rent a trailer on the North Sea island of Amrum. The camping place is located in the dunes right next to a kilometer wide beach and cars are banned on the whole island. That and the island people keep a tight lid on the tourist situation so it never feels crowded or overrun. https://www.amrum-camping.de/

The beach certainly is a thing but by far not the only highlight.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Gonna be passing through Venice for 3 days, any must sees for historical significance?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Gonna be passing through Venice for 3 days, any must sees for historical significance?

I've heard they have a semi-impressive series of canals you might want to check out.

On our Amsterdam->Düsseldorf->Rome->Naples->NYC(not in Europe, I know)->Bernese Oberland->Zürich trip, we've decided to stay in Lauterbrunnen. The reasons seemed clear at the time, but I keep worrying I made a terrible mistake. I keep telling myself that even if it's the worst town in the Jungfrau region, it's still probably really pretty. And I like waterfalls.

More daunting is sorting through all the different Swiss Travel Passes. I'm thinking we should get the Jungfrau specific pass so we can travel without worry between the various town, and the 50% discount on the Jungfrau-joch. And then the Zürich Card when we get into Zürich.

We are leaning towards the train to get there because we tend to overdo it when we have a car. Enforced relaxation, you might say. Is there anywhere amazing you need a car to get to, or is it just a convenience?

Thanks again!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

The whole town is basically a museum slash theme park. The most famous spots are obviously St Mark's square and basilica, plus the Doge's palace next door. Do a day trip out to Burano (the spot with the colourful houses), though I'd recommend going early in the day and coming back to Venice around lunchtime as it's insufferable once the cruise ship hordes arrive.

Once you inevitably get sick of other people, wander around the Cannaregio and Arenal districts as those tend to be less crowded.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

dogboy posted:

When I need to reset my clock I love to rent a trailer on the North Sea island of Amrum. The camping place is located in the dunes right next to a kilometer wide beach and cars are banned on the whole island. That and the island people keep a tight lid on the tourist situation so it never feels crowded or overrun. https://www.amrum-camping.de/

The beach certainly is a thing but by far not the only highlight.

Not really huge on camping but now I'm definitely looking at some of the other North Sea islands as a possibility.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Beachcomber posted:

I've heard they have a semi-impressive series of canals you might want to check out.

On our Amsterdam->Düsseldorf->Rome->Naples->NYC(not in Europe, I know)->Bernese Oberland->Zürich trip, we've decided to stay in Lauterbrunnen. The reasons seemed clear at the time, but I keep worrying I made a terrible mistake. I keep telling myself that even if it's the worst town in the Jungfrau region, it's still probably really pretty. And I like waterfalls.

More daunting is sorting through all the different Swiss Travel Passes. I'm thinking we should get the Jungfrau specific pass so we can travel without worry between the various town, and the 50% discount on the Jungfrau-joch. And then the Zürich Card when we get into Zürich.

We are leaning towards the train to get there because we tend to overdo it when we have a car. Enforced relaxation, you might say. Is there anywhere amazing you need a car to get to, or is it just a convenience?

Thanks again!

Lauterbrunnen seemed quite nice, I only passed through but much better than staying in Interlaken in my opinion. Train/gondola connections up to the mountains are good too.

If you’re thinking about travel passes, try and work out how many trips you’ll do up/down the various mountains while you’re there - sbb.ch gives prices, so you can work out if you’ll save money getting the Jungfrau pass or if something like the Swiss half fare card is better. We went with the latter as we went to Basel/Luzern/Jungfrau region and so were using trains/buses across the country.

I can’t comment on driving in Switzerland but trains are super convenient and easy to use, I never once wished I had a car while there.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

Thanks again!

Lauterbrunnen is one of the best places to stay in the Bernese Oberland as most of the famous highlights of the area are in that valley or the one right next to it (Grindelwald). Interlaken is one of the ugliest towns in Switzerland, in terms of the buildings and the city itself, not the setting. Thun is very cute, but a little far from where you want to go, but it might be worth a stop. Keep in mind that if you get a ticket like Interlaken-Bern (which will go via Thun), you can get off in Thun as long as you want and just take the next train that goes Thun-Bern. This is identical to buying two separate tickets Interlaken-Thun and Thun-Bern, both in terms of price and in terms of ticket checks. The view from Thun castle on towards the mountains is incredible, if you get a clear day. If it's rainy or super cloudy I would probably not bother stopping.

Yeah all the travel passes are crazy confusing but can save you an absurd amount of money too. Honestly it might make the most sense to just get the general halbtax and the Zurich card, and not worry about more specific ones. The travel passes are crazy expensive so you'd have to really force yourself to get the money out of it. Keep in mind that the travel pass only gives you a 50% discount on mountain transport (i.e. gondolas, jungfrau train) which is the same as what the halbtax gives you. I would just buy the 1 month version of this: https://www.sbb.ch/en/leisure-holidays/travel-in-switzerland/international-guests/swiss-halffare-card.html ; this is the card that all Swiss people have. Zurich Card on top of that is a decent idea.

Car is extremely extremely rare to be needed in Switzerland, so you definitely don't need one. It's just cheaper and for some people it's more fun to be in control of your own situation, and super useful for people who want to hike places that are not super highly trafficked with tourists. If it's not more fun for you and you don't care about the money, then definitely go by trains/buses. Creux du Van is the only famous tourist site in Switzerland that I can think of that does not have reasonable public transport access (but which easily could). PostBuses go up nearly every mountain road.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
This picture seems to be saying that everything is covered except Jungfrau-joch, and that has a special 69CHf rate. Am I reading it wrong, or maybe there's more gondolas and cable cars and whatnot that I'm not seeing?

Edit: we'll be there for 8 days.

Edit 2: did the math and if I'm reading this right, the Jungfrau pass is extremely worth the money.

Beachcomber fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jul 3, 2018

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I don’t know much about the pass, but every trip I did from Wengen was using the transport on that map.

If you’re doing the maths I would suggest comparing cost of Jungfrau pass vs individual ticket prices (at half rate) plus the cost of the half fare card, rather than vs full fare tickets.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Lady Gaza posted:

I don’t know much about the pass, but every trip I did from Wengen was using the transport on that map.

If you’re doing the maths I would suggest comparing cost of Jungfrau pass vs individual ticket prices (at half rate) plus the cost of the half fare card, rather than vs full fare tickets.

That's what I did. We were already probably getting the halbtax card, which gives a discount on this pass (220 vs 305). I started adding half-fares and quickly got to 220+, which was only going to some places once. Combined with not having to get tickets all the time, I think this will be worth it for the freedom to hop around.

So...halbtax, Jungfrau, and Zürich card. Then just a train to get us to Interlaken and back. The halbtax card really does seem to pay for itself quickly.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Schilthorn is conspicuously missing from that map (it's up from Mürren) so that'll be an extra $50pp or whatever it costs with the halbtax. Also keep in mind that at some point you will stop caring about going up every mountain in the area; if you've been up Jungfrau and First and Schilthorn, then you're probably not going to care about Grosser Scheidegg. You've done the math so you probably know better than the rest of us whether the Jungfrau card is with it. Keep in mind that you might stop caring after going up even two summit lifts, it's unlikely that you're going to care enough to do every one of the lines shown in that map, but of course that depends a lot on your personalities.

I always love going up to the tops of mountains, but I also live here so I've been able to space visits far enough apart to never get blasé about it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I think I've narrowed down my choices to a shortlist of: Rügen (based on coworker recommendation -- everyone I've talked to says it's pretty great), Flensburg (based on friend recommendation), or just generally somewhere in southern Denmark (based on my husband's wish to visit Denmark).

So at least I've narrowed it down to a general area. Any hidden gems in Denmark? Copenhagen seems expensive as hell.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Drone posted:

I think I've narrowed down my choices to a shortlist of: Rügen (based on coworker recommendation -- everyone I've talked to says it's pretty great), Flensburg (based on friend recommendation), or just generally somewhere in southern Denmark (based on my husband's wish to visit Denmark).

So at least I've narrowed it down to a general area. Any hidden gems in Denmark? Copenhagen seems expensive as hell.
Rügen is nice, though depending on when you want to go, remember that it's a prime getaway place for people from Berlin, so it might get rather busy as soon as their holidays start. Alternatively, the Fischland-Darß-Zingst peninsula is also worth considering up there.

There isn't much in southern Denmark, outside of Aarhus. If you go by car, however, nothing is really very far there, and you can kind of choose which sea to go to. Another option for something relaxed might be Bornholm. That said, Denmark is rather expensive in general, including food etc.

Also, consider Lübeck for a day or two in town (it's beautiful) and combine it with a stay somewhere between there and Wismar.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I was in Vejle on business some weeks ago, and it's quite unlike the rest of Denmark, what with having actual topography. It's a beautiful place, and close to historical sites like Jelling. It's worth devoting a day or two to, IMO.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
I have a plan to do a beach/partyhard tour of Balearic Islands (starting from Istanbul which makes the flights incredibly relatively cheaper with one layover), namely Mallorca Palma and Ibiza. I have like 10 days off during an extended holiday from mid August and some money saved so I'm looking for some goon wisdom regarding my plans:

Plan 1 - Islands only

Fly to Mallorca de Palma (7 hours, 2 flights from Istanbul) - Friday to Sunday, take a ferry to Ibiza (2 or 4 hours depending on the ferry line) on Sunday and stay there until next Sunday, take another 7 hour flight back to Istanbul.

Plan 2 - Barcelona-Mallorca-Ibiza

I love Barcelona and have couple of friends there so I don't mind staying there for couple of days, take a ferry or plane to Mallorca on Sunday, stay there until Tuesday, take the aforementioned ferry to Ibiza and return from there next Sunday.

Plan 3 - Barcelona - Ibiza only.

Fly to Barcelona on Friday, stay there until Sunday and take the ferry/plane to Ibiza and stay there until next Sunday.

All three are pretty much the same, travel cost wise. Plan 3 is the expensive one due to THY direct flights being expensive as all hell. Plan 1 and 2 involve flying with Ryan Air or Laudamotion therefore reducing the costs.

Accommodation seems like expensive but manageable, my heart is on Plan 2 but it might be tiring. Plan 1 sounds like the reasonable one followed by Plan 3 but I'd love to hear other opinions and experiences.

Edit: Any recommendations regarding where to stay/eat (especially for Ibiza) are more than welcome.

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jul 6, 2018

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I just got back from Aushwitz. The Israelis were all extremely well behaved but jesus loving christ the baby boomers in my group were the least respectful, most shameless people ive ever seen. Posing with all the guard towers, the furnaces, pushing and shoving, yelling, like gently caress off. They took photos in the hair room by pressing their ipads up to the glass just eugh. There was a german who was mad he bought an english ticket instead of a german one like his friends and held up the whole group being beligerant, when he could have just asked to swap groups and the guides would have been fine with it. Same dude shoulderbarged me to get a photo of the bunks when he decided that the 2 seconds id spent looking at them without a camera was long enough.

Shoutout to the poles with skulls on their vests posing at the ss baracks where they decided if new arrivals went to the chambers or the camp.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 6, 2018

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Galewolf posted:

Edit: Any recommendations regarding where to stay/eat (especially for Ibiza) are more than welcome.

Okay so I haven't been to Ibiza in 10 years so things might've changed, but probably not a huge amount. Basically you want to be there during the week, ironically the quietest nights of the weeks for parties are Friday/Saturday since most people are flying in and out. The two biggest clubs (Amnesia and Privilege) are in the middle of the island and basically in the middle of nowhere, but most of the rest are on the eastern coast near Ibiza Town and Playa den Bossa (Pacha, DC10 etc). I'd recommend staying on that side. San Antonio is on the far side of the island and although Cafe del Mar is over there, it tends to attract more of the Brit lager lout types since there aren't as many clubs.

Don't forget to explore the island either; it's really beautiful and was popular with tourists for a reason even before the nightclubs arrived! And take at least one night off, trust me I speak from experience!

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

webmeister posted:

Amazing advice

I had the same concern about weekdays being slow but from what I gather megaclubs are on some sort of rotation (from ibizaspotlight website) which leads to "something happening every night" like Guetta on Monday, Paul Van Dyk on Wednesday etc. Maybe that's not the case?

Aside from the megaclubs and partying it seems like plenty to do and explore in there, too. I'm a sucker for island resorts, feeling disconnected from the mainland and whatnot so most definitely gonna follow your advice.

Almost every guide/blog goes against staying San Antonio so I'm leaning on Playa den Bossa.

I'll rethink about my arrival dates before impulse booking. Thanks alot man, much appreciated!

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 6, 2018

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Honestly I'd just run through the Ibiza Spotlight calendar and pick out who you're interested in - there's big names playing every night basically, depending on what you're into (house/tech/trance etc). I was always a fan of Pacha since it had the best vibe, but again my last visit was 2008 so that might be different now. They used to have almost entirely house but I see Sven Vath has a residency so clearly some things have changed :v:

Oh and if you're a drinker, 100% do preloading. Drinks in the clubs are comical levels of ripoff pricing, even for things like Red Bull or bottled water you can pay up to 20 euros. If you're into the other stuff, just be careful with sourcing it.

And be prepared for the number of families you'll encounter! Despite the party island rep and all the clubs, the majority of tourists are still European families having a summer holiday on the beach which is an awfully strange contrast at times.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Heads up: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-44724052

Cabin crew at Ryanair based in Italy, Portugal, Spain and Belgium say they will strike in late July.

Cabin crew in Italy will go on strike for 24-hours on 25 July, while crew in Spain, Portugal and Belgium will strike for 48 hours on 25-26 July.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

I'm more into open air/beach venues so really interested in Ushuaia (also saw it on couple of travel blog videos and looked pretty fun) but definitely want to see Pascha because, well, it's the Pascha.

I don't drink these days so it will be a non issue at this point but even with that the entrance fees sound gnarly (up to 75 Euros, jfc) so I'll try to score some discounts or try weaseling my way into guestlists through promoters. Never was a "other stuff" person (I was crystal sober during Berlin techno pilgrimage last month) but I'll keep your word in mind if I decide to go hashtag yolo.

I think I'll appreciate some chilling during the day and the city center looks a bit more "proper" so definitely going to have long walks around and try out different stuff.

Any good beach clubs/beaches for daytime you remember from your previous visits you can recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

I might have an office job lined up in Stockholm, and would need to immigrate to take it.

What's the best method for getting USD exchanged for SEK? Haven't gone abroad before and I can't find a solid transaction fee listing for getting it exchanged.

Iamgoofball fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jul 7, 2018