Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

catlord posted:

Well, the problem is is that he's two states away and he's probably not going to remember to enter console commands.

Ah, well.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u3hs2pvrdc63mqm/samsara-v0.3-zd-dukeless.pk3

Here you go, then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Thanks, I'll get it to him as soon as possible. Hope I hear about him playing Ranger in Chex Quest soon.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Found some interesting Serious Sam news: Turns out some fans managed to get hold of a shitload of old beta Serious Sam stuff and are releasing it for free as a mod for The Second Encounter called Serious Sam Origins. Basically, this means there'll be an entirely new campaign with new enemies being released for free for the original Second Ennounter. If this map list for a released Serious Sam beta is right, there'll be about 40 (mostly) new levels in the mod. It's basically a free and new Serious Sam game for those that have TSE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx6XE7VCYQU

It'll be using old models and textures, which look like rear end for the most part, but hey, it is essentially a new Serious Sam game. :toot: It should be out by the end of 2013 or early 2014. Perfect if you have a Serious Sam itch during the holidays, but want something new.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Oct 13, 2013

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Awesome, hey maybe someone will take a crack at fixing up the old textures and models?

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

catlord posted:

Also, had him check his graphics card, it's actually better than I expected. I thought it'd be an Intel chip or something, which I know doesn't really work with GZDoom

I sometimes run GZDoom on a laptop from 2006 with a near-useless Intel card in it.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I use ZDoom for when I want to play Doom on my crappy HP530 laptop that has an anemic integrated intel graphics chipset.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 13, 2013

mingest
Oct 5, 2013
I just watched a UV-MAX demo of MAP07 in Speed of Doom and realized that somehow I've been playing Doom wrong for ages. For as long as I can remember I've been playing—I guess it can be called 'conservatively'. Hiding behind corners and walls, clearing out areas of enemies entirely before proceeding, and generally making slow progress overall. But this UV-Max run, the guy immediately lets out two revenants into an area filled with chaingunners, lets them at each other, then scrambles all over the next area pursued by Hell Knights, demons, and completely ignoring a cyberdemon. He opens up even more rooms filled with mancubi and just keeps running around, finishes them all off, handles a shitton of arachnotrons, and then finally just takes a couple swings at the cyberdemon since he's been infighting the whole time. It's really something to watch.

Of course this could just be a nuance of this particular wad. It is called Speed of Doom, after all. But I think I'm realizing my normal style of play isn't really how most people play Doom at all.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

mingest posted:

Of course this could just be a nuance of this particular wad. It is called Speed of Doom, after all. But I think I'm realizing my normal style of play isn't really how most people play Doom at all.

It's the kind of play you can only really do when you've learnt a map inside and out. The game is great for speedrunning because of the huge difference in playstyle between normal and practiced approaches.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
You're right, you have been playing it wrong. Doom is an action game, and a good offense is normally your best defense. Remember, you don't have regenerating health, so playing slowly just lets the enemies whittle you down slowly. You probably won't be good enough to pull that off for a while(I know I'm not), but the general concepts apply.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Map memorization helps a lot with Doom (and a lot of older FPS titles really), but you have to also remember that most of the enemies in the game use projectile weapons rather than hitscan, so (circle) strafing around while shooting is always a good idea. Really, the best defensive move in Doom is to just keep moving.

You know, I actually picked up on that years ago, when using the map to play for a while. It pretty much is Robotron from a different perspective.

I was also really into Robotron when I was in tech school back in 2003 (the Shoppette at the base had a machine). There was some kind of underground competition going on in the base for it or something because I thought I was the only person playing the game, but at least three other guys along with myself were fighting each other's high scores.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 13, 2013

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Doom is basically first person Robotron. :v:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Doom is about survival- how you accomplish this can vary significantly depending on your skill level, and the style of map you're on. Some maps will punish you for standing around and trying to systematically clear it room-by-room, and some maps will punish you for trying to rush ahead. There's no "right" one-style-fits-all way to play Doom.

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

You're right, you have been playing it wrong. Doom is an action game, and a good offense is normally your best defense. Remember, you don't have regenerating health, so playing slowly just lets the enemies whittle you down slowly. You probably won't be good enough to pull that off for a while(I know I'm not), but the general concepts apply.

One of the most important things about doom (and most other old FPS games) is how most of the time nothing in the games knows what is coming

You always have to keep in mind that both you and your enemies are pretty oblivious to either of your existence or actions, at least until you directly interact with them, they either have to see you, hear you, or generally be affected by your presence in some manner for either of you to even begin formulating your (or their) counter attacks

Of course this is a sort of over exaggerated description of what actually in those games with both you and your enemy, but it is still true that no matter how well enemies are setup, or even how tightly they have you boxed in, nobody knows whats going to go down until the both of you find each other

Not to sound like a whiny old man or anything but that is something I miss these days with most FPS games, I know that there are definitely some newer games that do that (Dishonored and the farcry series have done a pretty good job of it) but it feels like if you want to really recapture it you are kinda stuck playing FPS games that are naturally built around stealthy game-play, heavily disallowing players to input their own make-shift sneakiness

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Anyone have any luck discovering what the legal status of KISS: Psycho Circus: Etc Etc is?

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

AxeManiac told me that while it is definitely abandonware, KISS goes to crazy lengths to make even a few bucks and so he doesn't think it'd be good to risk it--he thinks it'd be better to figure out where to find it than to post a link to download it.

Sorry.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

The game is pretty cheap on Amazon if you really want a copy.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Paradoxically Brutal Doom has made me a much slower and cautious player. Because damage is doubled, and projectiles are faster and more numerous, it often tends to encourage cautious and deliberate whittling down of enemies as opposed to the dance that you see in so many speedruns. I hope he fixes how ridiculous the cyberdemon currently is, and maybe gets rid of plasma and BFG splash damage to player.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Bouchacha posted:

Paradoxically Brutal Doom has made me a much slower and cautious player. Because damage is doubled, and projectiles are faster and more numerous, it often tends to encourage cautious and deliberate whittling down of enemies as opposed to the dance that you see in so many speedruns. I hope he fixes how ridiculous the cyberdemon currently is, and maybe gets rid of plasma and BFG splash damage to player.

I actually think he removed the damage doubling for bd 18 except on the highest difficulties.

Conversely, Brutal Doom has made me ballsier most of the time because a double shotty at point blank range can one-shot so many things it behooves me to get up in their faces now now now :getin:. In normal doom if I run into some revenants I run and take cover, in brutal doom I charge into the middle, kill 1 or 2, THEN take cover.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I agree, but I think that's only really feasible if you make frequent saves throughout the level. I can't imagine someone beating a cyberdemon level for example with BD without save scumming around every corner.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

xanthan posted:

Awesome, hey maybe someone will take a crack at fixing up the old textures and models?

I'm pretty sure they're trying to keep everything as close to the originals as possible.

Two more things about Serious Sam Origins: The team is trying to add co-op to the game and, according to the head of Croteam, they have the option to release Origins standalone. A new and complete free Serious Sam is kickass.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Are there any recommendations for Doom soundpacks that retain the original sound but make them sound less muffled? Could this be just a GZdoom sound filter setting?

Also, props to Return to Saturn X for some of the prettiest texture and color palette work I've seen in a wad. It's goddamn pretty.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
http://www.perkristian.net/game_doom-sfx.shtml

This is exactly what you want, a high-def sound pack that basically remakes every sound effect in the game from the same sources as the originals.

The same guy released another mod which adds many more frames to all of the weapon animations, it looks quite nice.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

quote:

Finding the Doom sounds proved to be difficult and time consuming; a sound effect can be a tiny little part hidden within an audio track and it can have a different frequency, be time stretched, reversed and mixed with other sounds. Some of the sounds will probably never be properly recreated or found as they are recorded by Bobby Prince and not stock sound effects.
Jesus Christ I'm glad he did this but I definitely don't envy him.

Both the SFX wad and the enhanced weapon animations should probably be in the OP since they're great ways to enhance the original experience without loving with its balance.

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=32628

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

daft punk railroad posted:

http://www.perkristian.net/game_doom-sfx.shtml

This is exactly what you want, a high-def sound pack that basically remakes every sound effect in the game from the same sources as the originals.

The same guy released another mod which adds many more frames to all of the weapon animations, it looks quite nice.

Thumbs up for these, they are great for playing "Doom as I remember it" rather than "Doom as it actually was". :)

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Is there any way to force pistol starts in GZDoom?

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Bouchacha posted:

Is there any way to force pistol starts in GZDoom?

Copypasta'd from earlier in the thread for like the fifth time:
The riflestart one is for brutal doom.
riflestart.wad
pistolstart.wad

Kins, can you add these to the OP? Seems to be requested pretty often.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
How does everyone manage combining different PWADs? I used to manually combine them, as in extracting the WADs that I wanted to use together and combining them into a new WAD. Recently I've been using shorcuts with the "-file" parameter, which results in a lot of shortcuts.

Neither method is much effort, but I'm assuming there's a lazier way of doing this that I would prefer.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009

jerkstoresup posted:

How does everyone manage combining different PWADs? I used to manually combine them, as in extracting the WADs that I wanted to use together and combining them into a new WAD. Recently I've been using shorcuts with the "-file" parameter, which results in a lot of shortcuts.

Neither method is much effort, but I'm assuming there's a lazier way of doing this that I would prefer.

Get a frontend, pretty sure Zandronum still comes packed with Doomseeker. You can just pick the WADs you want from a list there.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Or if load order isn't important (it can be when gameplay mods are involved), just drag and drop the suckers onto zdoom.exe! (I think some other ports can do this too...)

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I recommend QLZ for a frontend, works great: https://bitbucket.org/SavageMessiah/qlz

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009
Well I've got another old FPS game up for download, and this time its Rebel Moon

This one is a bit different though, as due to how the game's graphics engine works the game can only be run on systems containing the Rendition Vérité V1000/Vérité V2x00 chipsets, and as such uses a workaround launcher to circumvent that, and also since dosbox doesn't support those yet the game cannot be run through it

Unfortunately its not perfect, the launcher can't play any of the in-game soundtrack and suffers from crashes, but its its probably worth a look for those who haven't ever seen, heard, or played it

here is the download link

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

I always used to see Rendition as an option in video settings and wonder "who the hell has a Rendition card?"

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Bouchacha posted:

I recommend QLZ for a frontend, works great: https://bitbucket.org/SavageMessiah/qlz

This seems to be the lazy option I was looking for, thanks. I just wanted something I could choose several PWADs quickly with that didn't require me to set up yet another shortcut or another frankenstein PWAD. I would do the drag-drop onto gzdoom.exe when I did make my own combined PWADs.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
ZDL is also a good option.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Well, I've got hold of KISS PSYCHO CIRCUS but I can't figure out how to get it to run in windowed mode.

edit: or just to stop flickering every now and then, it's giving me a headache.

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 16, 2013

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Are you sure those aren't just rad strobe lights.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Naw the window bar appears at the top of the screen and the whole screen flickers black like its trying to minimize and failing.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

So I tried booting up Daikatana and I got about 45 seconds into the game before mosquitoes followed me through a level transition at 1HP and I died instantly as soon as the map loaded. Awesome game John.

I think he made me his bitch. :smith:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Luigi Thirty posted:

So I tried booting up Daikatana and I got about 45 seconds into the game before mosquitoes followed me through a level transition at 1HP and I died instantly as soon as the map loaded. Awesome game John.

I think he made me his bitch. :smith:

Suck it down.
\

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
There is now an Oculus Rift port of GZDoom.