Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Policenaut posted:

"The Greatest Musou In History"

An engine update?!

I love my Warrior games but holy poo poo, do you notice which CAW parts are from previous titles (and generations) compared to the newer ones. It's time to update things, Koei. It's time to put this decade old relic to bed. (Might be why I took to Pirate Warriors 2 so much, on top of liking the source material, it was graphically pretty decent and stylish).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jimbot posted:

An engine update?!

I love my Warrior games but holy poo poo, do you notice which CAW parts are from previous titles (and generations) compared to the newer ones. It's time to update things, Koei. It's time to put this decade old relic to bed. (Might be why I took to Pirate Warriors 2 so much, on top of liking the source material, it was graphically pretty decent and stylish).

I'm pretty sure Koei has just been updating the same PS2 Dynasty Warriors 2 engine this entire time.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Jimbot posted:

An engine update?!

Pirate Warriors 3 is my favorite Warriors spin off game and very near my favorite Warriors game period. I'm also admittedly a fan of One Piece but it is also mechanically sound, visually appealing, and just different enough from a regular Warriors title to be interesting. I just there would have been a couple more characters and more diversity in objectives and stages but otherwise it's a downright fun game.

I hope PW4 is not being buried under more successful titles at this point because I'm eager to see if they can improve on it further.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Rutibex posted:

I'm not talking about that at all! I'm talking about the super secret Gauntlet Mode DLC levels (one of which is an absurd EXP scroll farm)

That's the PS4 exclusive I was talking about. I've checked multiple sources including PS store on my PS3 and the website and its definitely not available for PS3.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Death Zebra posted:

That's the PS4 exclusive I was talking about. I've checked multiple sources including PS store on my PS3 and the website and its definitely not available for PS3.

No its not, its another one! I have the PS3 version, I play this level all the time believe me. If you get the DLC level pack for Gauntlet mode its included. Its the first stage you select in the DLC levels: Anegawa.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-ca/games/addons/wo3u_dungeon-pack-/cid=UP4108-NPUB31505_00-WO3UDUNGEON00001

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 8, 2016

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Rutibex posted:

No its not, its another one! I have the PS3 version, I play this level all the time believe me. If you get the DLC level pack for Gauntlet mode its included. Its the first stage you select in the DLC levels: Anegawa.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-ca/games/addons/wo3u_dungeon-pack-/cid=UP4108-NPUB31505_00-WO3UDUNGEON00001

So it is! . I was searching for the dlc by searching for the game then looking under it's add-on section and for some reason it doesn't show up there. There are several threads on gamefaqs even asking if it's disappeared.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

PureRok posted:

Too much DQ not enough Warriors.

This, Hyrule Warriors was much more in on the Warriors side of the formula. All you have to do is a quick comparison of the music of both games to see the difference.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Also if it's a Berserk Musou I'll find the motivation to update this thread.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Belzac posted:

This, Hyrule Warriors was much more in on the Warriors side of the formula. All you have to do is a quick comparison of the music of both games to see the difference.

Which hilariously they weren't going to do at first, if I'm remembering correctly. Something about Miyamoto looking at it, hearing they wanted to make it more legend of zelda in gameplay and going "Are you stupid? Make a warriors game."

And so they did.

DaveCG
Nov 5, 2009

Drakenel posted:

Which hilariously they weren't going to do at first, if I'm remembering correctly. Something about Miyamoto looking at it, hearing they wanted to make it more legend of zelda in gameplay and going "Are you stupid? Make a warriors game."

And so they did.

Hyrule Warriors is better for it I think, I agree with Belzac that DQ;W is just...I don't know, off? It's enjoyable but it's not Warriors enjoyable I guess?

I recently started playing DW 3 again and man, I used to love that game but it is such bullshit at times. I didn't realise how much we've been babied by recent releases, it's tough!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah early DW games were some bullshit but nowadays you can take on Lu Bu with a starting character and win, something in between might be nice. The harder difficulties tend to assume you're using a levelled character and everything becomes a slog if you're not.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

DaveCG posted:

Hyrule Warriors is better for it I think, I agree with Belzac that DQ;W is just...I don't know, off? It's enjoyable but it's not Warriors enjoyable I guess?

I recently started playing DW 3 again and man, I used to love that game but it is such bullshit at times. I didn't realise how much we've been babied by recent releases, it's tough!

Dynasty Warriors 3 was the 1st DW game I ever played. I remember how Lu Bu absolutely teared my rear end apart. It was an awesome 2 player game at the time. My friend an I spent so much time just trying to kill Lu Bu with low stats.
At the time I liked reading reviews. and I saw that DW3 had gotten a real poo poo score, like 54 or something close to that. I could not fathom why that game had gotten such low scores. That's also the moment i stopped making judgments on games based on reviews.

DaveCG
Nov 5, 2009

Sefal posted:

Dynasty Warriors 3 was the 1st DW game I ever played. I remember how Lu Bu absolutely teared my rear end apart. It was an awesome 2 player game at the time. My friend an I spent so much time just trying to kill Lu Bu with low stats.
At the time I liked reading reviews. and I saw that DW3 had gotten a real poo poo score, like 54 or something close to that. I could not fathom why that game had gotten such low scores. That's also the moment i stopped making judgments on games based on reviews.

One of my favourite gaming memories is of my close friend and I running around Hu Lao gate looking for meat buns as Lu Bu was chasing us, that drat headdress of his popping into the screen now and then and us just making GBS threads ourselves. I think most mainstream review outlets back then (and even to this day a little) just had the wrong people review these games. Sure, if you don't like beat em up games you'll probably not like Warriors games, but for me they scratch that itch that no other series can, it's a shame we didn't get more of the Basara games in English because they're totally awesome.

I tried going back to DW 2, my first, and it's just...no, I love these games but no, I'll always have memories of my friends taking turns, trying to see how far we could get in the first mission before dying haha.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They're always gonna have bad reviews. They're pretty niche in the west so no one is going to put any effort in to it and unless you've played quite a few for a decent amount of time they kind look pretty much the same so making GBS threads out a '4/10 all Warriors games are same' thing is the best you'll get.
Hyrule Warriors was the exception since it was based on a popular gamer property and ended up with a bunch of 'huh this is actually fun who knew?' type pieces.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I'm pretty sure Hyrule Warriors was a 7/10 and considered by hardcore Zelda fans as a sellout travesty to the franchise, despite being one of the most fun Zelda games ever.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's always nut jobs

And 7/10 is the highest a Warriors game has ever been rated.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I could've sworn it was put on the same level as DW7 and Orochi. Heck, weren't the Pirate Warriors games pretty highly regarded?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Orochi 3U and PW3 sit at around the mid 70's on Metacritic, however they don't even get reviewed by the 'big' sites, the highest rated DW game is mid 60's.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 9, 2016

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Aha. Well, hopefully, HW will help push the series in a good direction of popularity.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I'm just happy that koei keeps soldiering on despite the negative press. I guess we're good enough repeat customers to keep buying the numerous way to scratch the 'beat up tons of dudes and have everyone in your army fall all over your dick for it' itch. I in particular am a fan of 'have a ton of allied mooks at your side trying their best to help, regardless of effectiveness.'

Come to think of it, EDF games do the same thing for me. I like jumping into the fray to help out my buddies yelling out B movie lines for me as we go all starship troopers on some hill.

Edit: Actually, when you think about it, the games do the whole 'positive feedback and instant gratification' thing really well. Most games are designed to, but it hits that button really well here. You're constantly given satisfying reactions to you swinging your weapon around, all the positive reinforcement you get from everyone in your army seems to hit the right note in your brain. I wonder if that's ever been looked into.

Drakenel fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 9, 2016

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Drakenel posted:

Edit: Actually, when you think about it, the games do the whole 'positive feedback and instant gratification' thing really well. Most games are designed to, but it hits that button really well here. You're constantly given satisfying reactions to you swinging your weapon around, all the positive reinforcement you get from everyone in your army seems to hit the right note in your brain. I wonder if that's ever been looked into.

This is why Musou clones pale in comparison. It's such a simple concept, and everyone seems intent on getting it wrong every time. Something as simple as the cheering sound effect when a positive notification comes up is something that barely any other game feels like doing.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Takoluka posted:

This is why Musou clones pale in comparison. It's such a simple concept, and everyone seems intent on getting it wrong every time. Something as simple as the cheering sound effect when a positive notification comes up is something that barely any other game feels like doing.

I never really noticed, but that is there, isn't it? I think a lot of the visual design has more thought put into it than we give credit for. Like lately, taking a base causes a huge burst of color and effects to reinforce that you succeeded. Lets not forget the music in the series, which is amazing for how silly all the buttrock is.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Well yeah, positive reinforcement/player reward is like the universal foundation of gameplay. Generally speaking it seems like people prefer to be challenged before they are rewarded which is something that Warriors titles generally do not do well/at all. This is why I miss "fourth weapon" requirements so much, in the early titles getting fourth weapons would be among the most challenging and rewarding things you would do. Now we have challenges and poo poo but the reward is almost always just an achievement or something.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

SW4 still has the insane fourth weapon missions, but you can just bypass them with chronicle mode. which is kinda a shame, but i still gladly did it

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Davincie posted:

SW4 still has the insane fourth weapon missions, but you can just bypass them with chronicle mode. which is kinda a shame, but i still gladly did it

Yeah same here. I hope they either become a SW mainstay or they try bringing them back in DW9 (or both!)

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The most of the Western press just don't like the Warrior games. 7 is the maximum score any of the franchise can achieve, to be honest. I'm ready for an engine update myself but the gameplay is the natural evolution of the Streets of Rage or Double Dragon beat 'em up formula. Those types of games aren't in vogue at the moment so no one cares.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Some reviewers are under the impression that you have to kill everything.

I think most quick looks are them attacking the peons for 10 minutes when that's never been a thing.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Tae posted:

Some reviewers are under the impression that you have to kill everything.

I think most quick looks are them attacking the peons for 10 minutes when that's never been a thing.

Dunno about never. As a bored kid I'd take great pleasure in closing every gate way back in like, dynasty warriors 4 and then wiping the map clean.

I really had little to do on weekends.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Jimbot posted:

The most of the Western press just don't like the Warrior games. 7 is the maximum score any of the franchise can achieve, to be honest.

What frustrates me is that many reviewers see games like Senran Kagura as "another Warriors-style game" when it is extremely lacking in the magic that makes Musou work, and instead of addressing that comparison and showing that, they just go "Welp, more of the same" and blind themselves to the evolutions of the franchise and the genre as a whole.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
It's not just reviewers.

That's a similar attitude that many people who've only watched footage have concerning Warriors games. Continue to have, actually.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Drakenel posted:

I'm just happy that koei keeps soldiering on despite the negative press. I guess we're good enough repeat customers to keep buying the numerous way to scratch the 'beat up tons of dudes and have everyone in your army fall all over your dick for it' itch. I in particular am a fan of 'have a ton of allied mooks at your side trying their best to help, regardless of effectiveness.'

Come to think of it, EDF games do the same thing for me. I like jumping into the fray to help out my buddies yelling out B movie lines for me as we go all starship troopers on some hill.

You also gotta remember that while they're niche gamer poo poo here they still do really well in Japan and the One Piece license a HUGE deal there, especially since they're like the only company that actually makes decent games based on it.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i never got the its all the same complaint when its the only good game in its genre. its not like those reviewers are making the same complaints about call of duty or whatever either

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Warriors games are good. Hyrule Warriors has more content in it than most AAA titles. Pirate Warriors has not just a ton of content, but variable content, where the Dream Log has match-ups and team-ups of characters that are pretty outlandish overall. It's funny to see Rob Lucci, Buggy the Clown and Whitebeard team up to stop Nami, Chopper, and Cesar Clown while fighting on Fishman Island. And with tons of characters to unlock, it just further adds content. This style of game ranks among the more pure gaming experiences available today in my opinion.

DaveCG
Nov 5, 2009

Drakenel posted:

Dunno about never. As a bored kid I'd take great pleasure in closing every gate way back in like, dynasty warriors 4 and then wiping the map clean.

I really had little to do on weekends.

Remember when gate guys used to drop defence ups? Ah, those were the days.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
Clearly it's going to be World War Warriors

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

warhammer651 posted:

Clearly it's going to be World War Warriors

Nah, Capcom would sue them again.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

I know that it's not that, but I'd honestly go for another warriors Orochi. It always tickled me that the writing staff seemed to enjoy the break from historical tales. ((Warriors Orochi empires is my pipe dream, of course.)

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Drakenel posted:

I know that it's not that, but I'd honestly go for another warriors Orochi. It always tickled me that the writing staff seemed to enjoy the break from historical tales. ((Warriors Orochi empires is my pipe dream, of course.)

I think they joked about another crossover series, so it's possible!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Berserk Musou? Berserk Musou.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Policenaut posted:

Berserk Musou? Berserk Musou.

I feel kind of left out with not having watched any of the animes they're making games of. (And I don't have a particular inclination to start watching either.)