Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

InterceptorV8 posted:

http://bcove.me/8lpie1ov

Everybody shooting at everybody.

Is this the same kind of "reserve deputy" who bought a car for the police department, got to pretend to be a cop, and then while pretending to be a cop, shot and planted a tazer on a dude?

Because if so, gently caress that dude. How many auction Crown Vics do I have to underwrite before I get to shoot at truckers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Is this the same kind of "reserve deputy" who bought a car for the police department, got to pretend to be a cop, and then while pretending to be a cop, shot and planted a tazer on a dude?

You're mixing up recent police scandals - Oklahoma reserve deputy experiences "taser confusion" and shoots suspect in the back =! Charleston, SC police officer shoots fleeing suspect multiple times in the back, plants taser near body and is caught on tape.

But yeah, I'm surprised they arrested anyone. Law enforcement connections aside I thought one of the selling points of living in Texas was being able to shoot anyone at any time for any reason...?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Geoj posted:

You're mixing up recent police scandals - Oklahoma reserve deputy experiences "taser confusion" and shoots suspect in the back =! Charleston, SC police officer shoots fleeing suspect multiple times in the back, plants taser near body and is caught on tape.

But yeah, I'm surprised they arrested anyone. Law enforcement connections aside I thought one of the selling points of living in Texas was being able to shoot anyone at any time for any reason...?

Hurr durr Texas

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Beach Bum posted:

riding in a cab in Boston
I drive a taxi for a living and last time I was in Boston I thought I was gonna die in the cab, but that's Boston driving in general.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

So driving up people's rear end isn't a good idea. One had to learn that with my rear bumper. See this aggressive dumb rear end changing lanes cutting people off everywhere including me and think hmmm at some point he's going to pay the price for driving that erratic. Traffic jam happens and he slips in right behind me and drives so close to me that I can't see headlights or grill that he's that close. I keep my normal distance in my lane then suddenly everyone comes to a screeching halt and I can't go anywhere but stop and I knew this shitwad was going to ram me and low and behold he does. Luckily I only got scratches and his mid to late 90s Mustang punched out his grill, damaged the front bumper, and hosed his hood a bit. Saw him again when we both left after the accident giving people tons of space and driving less like an idiot. Washington drivers, either aggressive or erratic as poo poo or slower than gently caress.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Went to Target the other day, was leaving and pulled up into the turn lane next to some kid going straight. Turn light goes green, he guns it. With just the turn light on, both ways. No green light for him.

Are some people really that inattentive? He didn't even make an effort to brake, I don't think he realized he ran it.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Protocol7 posted:

Went to Target the other day, was leaving and pulled up into the turn lane next to some kid going straight. Turn light goes green, he guns it. With just the turn light on, both ways. No green light for him.

Are some people really that inattentive? He didn't even make an effort to brake, I don't think he realized he ran it.

I see people lurch forward (usually catch themselves) in that scenario pretty frequently. What I dread is the inattentive texting rear end in a top hat up my arse at a stop light who lurches because I drive a stick, put it in neutral if I'm near the start of the red light cycle, and don't sit on my brakes if it's flat.

:j: Brake lights go off means GOTTA GO NOW no matter what.

Debating whether to get my future Kentucky "Share The Road" (cyclist/pedestrian awareness campaign) plate to say DENTS or STICK on my '95 Nissan Truck that looks good except for the places on every side where people have backed into it because, even if they notice the cab, they forget about the long bed behind it.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Arriviste posted:

:j: Brake lights go off means GOTTA GO NOW no matter what.

I've been rearended twice by :j: who used that logic.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Came out of the Fort Pitt tunnel, changed lanes into the far left lane to get on 279N, and as I'm accelerating (because there's a fun curve right there and nobody was in front of me, or behind me) some rear end in a top hat in a minivan decides he HAS TO OH MY GOD GET IN THE LANE RIGHT THEN AND THERE PDQ ASAP and jerks across two lanes, no signal, gets in front of me, and stands on his brakes, does the "angry hands in the air" thing when I tap my horn at him.

So as we're getting to the on-ramp for the 279 interchange he suddenly realizes he's in the wrong lane, stands on his brake again, and changes lanes to the exit on the right.

gently caress you, pay attention, you passed like four signs telling you what each lane was for by this point.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I thought that was required by law when exiting the Ft. Pitt tunnel...? Seems like it happens to me every time I visit downtown and go home via 376.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

That interchange is a shitshow 24/7. Of course, this weekend we have the marathon, Ft Pitt tunnel is closed outbound, and there's the usual crop of other closures.

Pittsburgh: All our roads are closed because gently caress you.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
I lived there for a few years and had never visited before I moved there. Coming down 376 and everyone slams on their brakes before the Squirrel Hills tunnel. I thought there was an accident or something. Nope, just people thinking that tunnels eat cars.
http://society6.com/product/pittsburgh-tunnel-monster_t-shirt

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
One day people will figure out that your speed when you reach the 4 way stop is not what gives you the right of way. I've long since lost count of how many times I've come to a stop and started to go only to get cut off by someone who comes tearing up to the sign and jams on their brakes without actually stopping. That day I will be happy.

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 2, 2015

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
People must be super polite here because I daily run into the other, the super polite person. They got the the stop a full second before me and I have now come to a complete stop instead of a slight roll, but they want to wave me ahead.

I mean, thanks, but just follow the normal road rules/etiquette.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
picked up wife's car after service, new Mustang was in front of me turning right on the service road. they gun it, rear end goes out left, they correct, rear end snaps back right and whammo they clobber the curb with the right rear. still had temp plates.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

go3 posted:

picked up wife's car after service, new Mustang was in front of me turning right on the service road. they gun it, rear end goes out left, they correct, rear end snaps back right and whammo they clobber the curb with the right rear. still had temp plates.

Was it the 5.0? I can't get the back end to really step out on the auto rental I have, even with it in Sport+ and in manual mode.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

go3 posted:

Must have had traction control off on purpose, too (why would you do this on a public road?!) because I've done some fairly foolish things with the throttle, and it's nearly impossible to get the rear to move out a significant amount.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

PT6A posted:

Must have had traction control off on purpose, too (why would you do this on a public road?!)

maximum dorifuto :911:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

BIG HORNY COW posted:

I drive a taxi for a living and last time I was in Boston I thought I was gonna die in the cab, but that's Boston driving in general.

If you are ever out here again I will show you how it's done :getin:

Turns may be abrupt but they are intentional, checked, AND signaled, so better than most boston area drivers.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Last night on the last stretch of my road trip, I'm on a road in farmland where there is a 4-way stop every mile, and a 45mph speed limit between them. I'm behind a red minivan and the driver is doing barely 35mph, and accelerating from the stop signs very slowly. There is just enough traffic that I'd have to go pretty fast to make a safe pass, so I just settle in and follow her. At the 3rd 4-way, another driver that has arrived first, turns and is now in front of red minivan. Now, instead of the super slow acceleration from the stop sign, the minivan goes into drag race mode, charging after the new car, and then gets right up behind it flashing her lights and weaving back and forth... at about 50mph that the new car was going.

I turned at the next 4-way, but she was still aggressively tail-gating that other car like a crazy person, even though it was going far faster than she had been going for the previous few miles.

Just super strange. :iiam:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The psychology of dipshits, right there.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm doing 30 in a 25 on a stretch of residential road that cops hang out on all the time and is a known speed trap. A girl in a 25 year old Honda passed me, crossing the double yellow and driving on the wrong side of the road. She was leaning forward, with her neck over the steering wheel, and talking on the speakerphone held a few inches in front of her face.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

FogHelmut posted:

I'm doing 30 in a 25 on a stretch of residential road that cops hang out on all the time and is a known speed trap. A girl in a 25 year old Honda passed me, crossing the double yellow and driving on the wrong side of the road. She was leaning forward, with her neck over the steering wheel, and talking on the speakerphone held a few inches in front of her face.

Chick in front of me with a minty early 90s Accord on my commute today hit the curb four times in ten minutes. Every time she would look down at her phone she'd just drift right until she hit gravel and then the curb.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

The Locator posted:

. . . I'm on a road in farmland where there is a 4-way stop every mile, and a 45mph speed limit between them. . .

You have just described hell. :suicide:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No kidding, even in Illinois which is notorious for restrictive speed limits they allow 55 when you're out in the cornfields.

45 is just sadistic.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

xzzy posted:

No kidding, even in Illinois which is notorious for restrictive speed limits they allow 55 when you're out in the cornfields.

45 is just sadistic.

I was wondering what it was in Illinois. I just assumed 55 last time I was out in the boonies, because that's what North Carolina rules are.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Chick in front of me with a minty early 90s Accord on my commute today hit the curb four times in ten minutes. Every time she would look down at her phone she'd just drift right until she hit gravel and then the curb.

Didn't we finally decide those halfwits could actually get a reasonable-sized ticket with points attached? When can we yank their licenses for 72 hours like we do with people who drive drunk?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I was behind a pickup with a nearly empty dual axle flatbed trailer today with like a wheel barrow and a ladder in it. Suddenly one of his tires ripped apart and was flinging poo poo everywhere. I think it took out the tire behind it as well, but I backed off and changed lanes. I wondered what it felt like because he didn't seem to worry about it, but it probably didn't register as such a problem from the cab. I passed him in the first 100 feet of the Eisenhower Tunnel and he was looking in his passenger side mirror with a worried look.

The whole event was strange since the road was clean, the trailer was light and he was going about 70 uphill.

That must have been a long trip through the tunnel for him.

Also later I saw an Escalade with a 20' extension ladder on the top and what appeared to be a single bungee cord. I sure hope there were more that were hidden.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Saw a kid on the highway yesterday who was so committed to his backwards-hat lifestyle that he had removed the headrest on the driver side seat of his newish Mazda2.

:suicide:

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

StormDrain posted:

Also later I saw an Escalade with a 20' extension ladder on the top and what appeared to be a single bungee cord. I sure hope there were more that were hidden.

You know that escalades are better, right?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

BraveUlysses posted:

Saw a kid on the highway yesterday who was so committed to his backwards-hat lifestyle that he had removed the headrest on the driver side seat of his newish Mazda2.

This. This is beautiful

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

BraveUlysses posted:

So you rear-ended him and gave him whiplash, right?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Some retarded person in a beat up mid 90s Volvo wagon almost binned it right in front of me on i90 this morning. They went from straight and level at 80 to all over the road at 80 and then hit the rumble strip, overcorrected hard, swerved a few times and managed to level out. I was far enough back to just watch and start slowing down normally, but drat.

I assume children in the back seat, a dropped coffee, or a cellphone were involved.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

StormDrain posted:

I was behind a pickup with a nearly empty dual axle flatbed trailer today with like a wheel barrow and a ladder in it. Suddenly one of his tires ripped apart and was flinging poo poo everywhere. I think it took out the tire behind it as well, but I backed off and changed lanes. I wondered what it felt like because he didn't seem to worry about it, but it probably didn't register as such a problem from the cab. I passed him in the first 100 feet of the Eisenhower Tunnel and he was looking in his passenger side mirror with a worried look.

The whole event was strange since the road was clean, the trailer was light and he was going about 70 uphill.

That must have been a long trip through the tunnel for him.

The great thing about dual axle trailers is they have redundant tires. I was behind my Dad's loaded 20 foot enclosed trailer one night going down a highway when I saw a strange black circle rolling way onto the shoulder. The trailer showed no sign of disturbance from my view and I really was not sure what I had seen, so we just continued obliviously down the road to the next fuel stop. Really dual axle trailers are awesome, until you have to buy tires.

Unrelated trailer pro-tip: Don't buy a bumper pull unless you want everyone with a hitch begging to burrow it, one particularly ambitious individual swore their Jeep Liberty could safely pull the 20ft enclosed dual axle enclosed bumper pull trailer. :haw:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Crotch Fruit posted:

You have just described hell. :suicide:

xzzy posted:

45 is just sadistic.

It's a relatively short stretch where some of the farm fields were sold off to developers and turned into residential developments before the big housing bubble crash, so there are fields on one side of the road, and then a small sub-division on the other side, then fields on both sides, etc.

Once you get out of that area, the speed limit goes to 55, and it's 3-5 miles between stop signs (or more).

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

The Locator posted:

It's a relatively short stretch where some of the farm fields were sold off to developers and turned into residential developments before the big housing bubble crash, so there are fields on one side of the road, and then a small sub-division on the other side, then fields on both sides, etc.

Once you get out of that area, the speed limit goes to 55, and it's 3-5 miles between stop signs (or more).

Low speed limit, too many stop signs, and cookie cutter housing developments full of McMansions? Sounds even more hellish.

In other news I almost nailed a student driver today. It was a four way stop where the lanes are about 1.5 cars wide so a lot of people squeeze in side by side to make one lane going left/straight and half a lane + the grass for turning right, the student (and passenger, assuming instructor) were pulling the dick maneuver to my right. Naturally nobody understands right of way but it was my turn to go (trust me) and when I got to the halfway point the student driver just gunned it right in front of me. I threw myself into the front windshield, the student took the ditch, and then proceeded to get back in front of me at a snails pace of 15mph for the next half mile, it was pretty awesome.

I also spotted a douche bag in a Lexus at 5am this morning. A 1 mile section of an industrial road was recently upgraded from 2 lanes to 2 lanes and a center turning lane but everyone thinks it is a passing lane, even going 10 over the limit I've had assholes fly by me in the turning lane. . . This morning, the Lexus was behind me with their brights on and next thing I noticed the lights disappeared and the Lexus with no lights was zooming past in the center turning lane. I never did see them turn their lights back on and as an added bonus the street lights in the area suck.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
All the dashcam talk at the early stage of the thread made me get a RetiCAM XL tripod adapter and windshield mount. I use them with my Note 3 running Dailyroads Voyager.

I am the driver with a dirty, aged windshield who sees a Pink Floyd laser show at the planetarium during night drives. But at least I'm not using obnoxious headlights...

https://vimeo.com/126881026

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CharlieWhiskey posted:

You know that escalades are better, right?

Better than what? Getting your testicles squeezed in a vise?

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
How many wrecks have you guys seen? I am surprised that I haven't seen any yet considering how lovely Portland drivers are. I've seen infinity close calls though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

fakeaccount posted:

Better than what? Getting your testicles squeezed in a vise?

Well, that escaladed quickly