Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Prism posted:

Except run out of vowels.

(Yes, I know w is a vowel in Welsh, but it sure doesn't look it when you just skim it as a non-Welsh speaker.)

Actual redline from Matt McFarland: "Give a pronunciation guide. You monster."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

If anyone is interested, I've thrown together a discord dicerolling bot for Chronicles of Darkness in python. Code is here. Currently you just shout a type of roll and number of dice at it and it does the roll. Can handle rotes, exploding dice, chance rolls, you name it. I even gave it a sense of drama where it will wait 0.5 seconds between reporting the result of each rolled die until it finally tells you total successes. You have the option to just get successes right away if you hate fun.

I'm also in the process of putting together a more advanced version for my mage group where you tell it the stats making up the pool and checks our character sheets to compute the number of dice it has to roll.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

awesome, that's really useful, thanks

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.
When my internet at home stops being a bag of rear end and rusty nails, I will definitely be trying that out. The most important question to me, though, is whether it has witty response options. Dicebots that say something funny can come to feel like another member of the team.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Today in Demon: The Descent: a rolling gunfight between the police, the army and some dodgy south african mercenaries ended with everyone putting their weapons away and trying to settle their differences with words thanks to demonic Embeds. Upon finding out that the God-Machine was mulching people in a giant threshing machine in a Facility of unknown location, the Ring managed to find the Facility, get there and save the people in 11 rounds, when the Facility was in a hidden basement in the secure wing of HMP Belmarsh, the ultramax prison for national security-related superprisoners and the Demons were literally about 20 miles away. A conversation between one of the Ring and some interested Mages in a steak restaurant ended with an exchange of phone numbers and, presumably, some very animated conversations back at the Consilium meeting hall and a huge list of volunteers to ride shotgun on the next meeting because dammit, they want some Arcane Beats too. I enjoyed the Mages being 100% confident that a) they knew what was going on and b) could definitely handle it whatever it is and they weren't in any risk or danger at all. The fact that every Mage with the Destiny Merit is mobile Infrastructure is really weirding my players out. The Mages have so much good intel but they're so obviously dodgy.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
My D:tD hard copy arrived in the mail today and holy poo poo I didn't realize how big the book is. It's practically the size of some of my casebooks.

I'm also reading Declare by Tim Powers, which is wonderful inspiration even if it's written by a filthy God-Machine sympathizer. :v:

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Axelgear posted:

When my internet at home stops being a bag of rear end and rusty nails, I will definitely be trying that out. The most important question to me, though, is whether it has witty response options. Dicebots that say something funny can come to feel like another member of the team.

Not yet, but it is definitely on the agenda! One of my friends suggested having it track people's rolls and make comments based on how unlucky they are. One thing I'd love to do though is feed it some mage chat and have it markov chain out some nonsense on demand!

Since making that post I realised that I could use channel webhooks to build it as a Dice Rolling client instead of a bot. So, rather than typing commands in the channel you enter the details in a local client and smash a roll button that'll send the results to a designated discord channel. Early build of that version is here. The UI is pretty basic but it does everything the bot does right now. My current plan is to turn that client into a fully fledged digital character sheet that'll calculate the dice pools for you and track your health, xp, etc.

FurtherReading fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 9, 2017

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Further Reading posted:

Not yet, but it is definitely on the agenda! One of my friends suggested having it track people's rolls and make comments based on how unlucky they are. One thing I'd love to do though is feed it some mage chat and have it markov chain out some nonsense on demand!
If someone's highest die is a 4, it should spit out "your nimbus looks like a dishrag."

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Further Reading posted:

Since making that post I realised that I could use channel webhooks to build it as a Dice Rolling client instead of a bot. So, rather than typing commands in the channel you enter the details in a local client and smash a roll button that'll send the results to a designated discord channel. Early build of that version is here. The UI is pretty basic but it does everything the bot does right now. My current plan is to turn that client into a fully fledged digital character sheet that'll calculate the dice pools for you and track your health, xp, etc.

You are doing everything I wish I had available about 3 years ago. It was not a discord channel, but I really wished for a simple and easy to use way to just pull stats from sheets to roll online. Yes, you can do it via MUSH and Fantasy Grounds does it for DnD, but anything to make playing online more fun and easy to follow is amazing.

Mostly I wanted this because looking up spell rotes in Awakening 1E was a pain in the butt.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm also reading Declare by Tim Powers, which is wonderful inspiration even if it's written by a filthy God-Machine sympathizer. :v:

Declare is the best occult spy fiction I've ever read (not that there's huge piles of that). It's very institutional, though - I'd actually use it for inspiration regarding what working for (or hiding from) the God-Machine would be like, from the perspective of a Demon's special offspring.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Yawgmoth posted:

If someone's highest die is a 4, it should spit out "your nimbus looks like a dishrag."

Any time someone rolls an exceptional success on spellcasting: "Condition or beat? We both know you want the beat. Take the beat."
...my players in general all agree that there are Too Many Conditions and they'd much prefer to avoid dealing with the mechanics for them, but they love the pooled beats system for advancement.

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.
I, for one, do not consider my gaming experience complete if the dice bot does not laugh in my face any time a one is rolled on a chance die.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Joe Slowboat posted:

Any time someone rolls an exceptional success on spellcasting: "Condition or beat? We both know you want the beat. Take the beat."
...my players in general all agree that there are Too Many Conditions and they'd much prefer to avoid dealing with the mechanics for them, but they love the pooled beats system for advancement.
Back when I ran a Mage 2e game, we quickly just decided to have Exceptionals just give you your choice of a WP, a mana, or a +2 on your next spell of that arcana. Made life a lot simpler for everyone.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
"At last, the gift of stillness fell on each battlefield;
and gifts of punishment for every rebel were revealed.

The gift of a prison was given to the world
A place seperate from the light, and the warmth,
and the regard of the One Giver,
In the place beyond Eden,
where darkness reigns.

In the lands called Nod,
where the curse of the One Giver is manifest.
There did I wander, bereft of all company.

I was alone in the Darkness,
and I grew Hungry.
and I grew Cold.
and I cried.

This place is His creation as well,
and mirror of His true intent."

I mention my comprehensive noddism project here and there. This is why I think it's worthwhile - those are a few verses, from the same sections, spliced together from 2:1 Nod, 2:1+2:3 Erciyes, and 2:1 Dies Ignis. You do have to sacrifice two things to make it read that way (2:2 Erciyes, which would still fit but isn't as poetic as without, and the part of 2:1 DI that specifically speaks of the demons who followed the Dimmed Light), but you get a fantastic piece of scripture for some lunatic Malkavian to scream out in Elysium or the Tal'mahe'ra to whisper to each other. It also fits nicely with how horrifying the setting gets later, and why God does nothing to preserve anyone from it: The lands beyond Eden are a prison, not just for Caine and the Demons, but for all things. A terrible place to scourge and flay the sin from the bones of creation itself, and a dark mirror of the One Giver's true nature as a fallen demiurge that ties into the Book of Lilith's gnosticism.

Cue the Lancea Sanctum riff and rev up the Cainite Heresy.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I always just figured the vampires got it wrong and they weren't cursed, they were the curse upon humans for bringing murder into the world.

"Oh you like murder do you, here, have a race of superhuman murdermachines who eat you. And another. And another. And another."

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

Wasn't that kind of the philosophy that the Lancea et Sanctum? That vampires existed to act as a warning towards humanity, and to test and punish the faithful, and that the only way to avoid the eternal hellfire they so richly deserve is to be the sort of monster they're supposed to be.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I mean it isn't like the Old Testament isn't full of God using wicked people as the rod of his anger. (And totally not as a way to continue maintaining that Yahweh is the strongest God even in the face of major military and political defeats we swear)

Though if the lancea thinks that ends up working out for the rod...Ahahahahaha! Oh man are they in for some times. They're real lucky Yahweh isn't explicitly God in nWoD the way he was in oWoD!

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
For another neat example of how all four texts together can read in an interesting way, if you play a little fast and loose with order of verses (1:1 Nod, 1:1 Lilith, 1:2 Lilith, 1:1 DI, 1:2 Nod) you get an accounting of creation that redefines the One Giver and the Oldest Father to be the Ancient One, not YHVH, who assumes the role of one of the One Giver's angels. Nod ceases to be purely a place of Vampiric torment, but a default state of the world in which the angelic host builds their gardens long before Caine emerges.

"I dream of the First Times, the longest memory.
I speak of the First Times, the oldest Father.
I sing of the First Times, and the Dawn of Darkness[1].

Once, all was silence and stillness.
This was the time of nothing, when the Ancient one rested its eyes and moved not.
Every 55,555[2] years, the Ancient One breaks its rest and opens its eyes, to see what was not there before.
Each 55,555 years, it closes its eyes, and all becomes silence and stillness again.

Then the Ancient One opened its eyes for the 333rd time, and a bolt of Light split the darkness.
Thence came YHVH and the other Shining Ones.
To delight the eyes of the Ancient One, they spoke great Words and sang great Songs,
and thence wove the world into being.

At first, the Angels of the One Giver
Numbered Nine Million, and Nine Thousand, and Nine Hundred, and Nine.
Each Angel had a place.
Each place had an Angel.
All was peace.
All was governed.

In Nod, where the Light of Paradise lit up the Night Sky,
and the tears of our parents wet the ground
Each of us, in our way, set about to live
And take our sustenance from the land."

[1] = 333 is also the Gematric value for Darkness, and anything written by Brucato may actually contain genuine lunacy like kabbalah since he's an actual lunatic occultist. So the flow here is very proper.
[2] 55,555 is emblematic more of infinity in this context than that actual number

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

Night10194 posted:

I mean it isn't like the Old Testament isn't full of God using wicked people as the rod of his anger. (And totally not as a way to continue maintaining that Yahweh is the strongest God even in the face of major military and political defeats we swear)

Though if the lancea thinks that ends up working out for the rod...Ahahahahaha! Oh man are they in for some times. They're real lucky Yahweh isn't explicitly God in nWoD the way he was in oWoD!

It gets weirder then you remember that the Lancea have an Orthodox Jewish sect (who are apparently very skilled wizards, make of that what you will), whom you think would notice that pattern a little bit more clearly than a more Pauline tradition.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Idea taken from elsewhere: Is there a theoretical Mage/Demon crossover Dark Era that would make sense without sidelining one or the other gameline?

The only one that immediately came to mind for me is 'the apocalypse' - mages and demons waging all out war on their respective gods to try to topple them.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The power differential there is going to be killer. Mages can do so much more poo poo much more easily than a demon, and their cosmic-level enemies are basically sworn not to interfere with them unless they're on the verge of breaking reality themselves. (Conversely without the Pax Arcana, ground-level mages would just be hosed because an every-Archmage-for-himself situation is the nWoD equivalent of global thermonuclear war.)

Demons on the other hand have abilities largely designed to keep them hidden and live, and the God-Machine doesn't give a gently caress about the Pax Arcana, but also isn't so powerful that it can just near-instantly rewrite the history of the world on a whim.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Demon / Changeling seems like it'd be a scream, though. Or maybe Demon / Werewolf if you go with the theory that the God-Machine is what happens when an Idigam grows to maturity.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

quote:

Null Snyper lives alone in a single-room apartment, which she rarely leaves. Thanks to the internet, she rarely needs anything from the outside world. The only time she dares venture out is to acquire new computer hardware to upgrade her setup. She is safe in her Den, surrounded by the glow of computer monitors and the hum of various power supplies and hard drives. Trash and old, discarded computer parts litter the floor like so many skeletons stripped of flesh.

Her physical appearance is unkempt. She dresses slovenly and never bathes. She never interacts with anyone in person, so she sees no reason to bother. For her, the physical is a pointless waste of time that shackles her, preventing her from reaching her full potential. Everything she needs is available to her through the computer. If she had some way to shed her body and exist internet scourge entirely as information in the cloud, she would take it without a moment’s hesitation. Ironically, since she stopped caring about her appearance, she now looks more like her self-image from her youth. Her face is pimply due to her poor hygiene, and her stench reeks worse than it did even when her family tried to save money by using less water. She has an emaciated frame, bordering on skeletal, from subsisting on mere emotion without tangible flesh.

If you hear of someone dead from self inflicted head trauma frozen in a snow bank at some point in the next week, you know why.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

McFarland really has the self-reflective capability of a goldfish, huh?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Incidentally, this is the first Onyx Path release to not hit even Bronze on DTRPG within hours of release.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I CAN'T FATHOM WHY!!?!?!!?!?

quote:

The Blind Man’s blotted clothing is as result of a thick trail of what resemble fish eggs progressively leaking from his navel, urethra, and anus. Particularly around his navel area, a coagulated mass of pink and black eggs comes forth when the Blind Man strains his abdominal muscles. Horrifyingly, the Blind Man has from time to time passed these eggs off as salmon roe or sturgeon caviar, as they bear a sour, fishy odor. Those who consume his “produce” have their fertility dramatically increased, and gradually produce their own eggs in a similar fashion to the Blind Man, the only difference being that mortal-produced eggs possess a coat of thin white fur. This invariably drives the afflicted unfortunates insane, as they cannot stop the egg production, resulting in self-destructive harm. The Blind Man believes that by participating in the birthing, they increase the speed at which the Primogenitor will be reborn.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

holy poo poo, this is amazingly bad, i kind of want to read it myself just so i can see how bad it is

except i don't want to give them money for it

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Imagine me as a Many Hybrid from System Shock 2 only i'm yelling SILENCE THE DISCOURSE instead

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

What's the context?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

What's the context?

They're people posessed by things that are even worse than Horrors (Moments) and are descended from something even worse than the dark mother (The Progenitor) and can take over Beasts and their Lairs like cordyceps, if Cordyceps were actually a horror clown possessed by an earthquake.

Yes there's a Horror Clown.

There's also a Hero that's a youtube superstar who regularly fake-doxes people to drive up her subscriber count so that she can use the questing dream to sic them on Beasts.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

oh my god

this is a parody, right?

this is a parody.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Daeren posted:

Imagine me as a Many Hybrid from System Shock 2 only i'm yelling SILENCE THE DISCOURSE instead

"Your NWoD is NOT OURS..."

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Kurieg posted:

They're people posessed by things that are even worse than Horrors (Moments) and are descended from something even worse than the dark mother (The Progenitor) and can take over Beasts and their Lairs like cordyceps, if Cordyceps were actually a horror clown possessed by an earthquake.

Yes there's a Horror Clown.

There's also a Hero that's a youtube superstar who regularly fake-doxes people to drive up her subscriber count so that she can use the questing dream to sic them on Beasts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Deg7VrpHbM

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

i need to get a copy of this

i need to see it for myself

i must open the gate to the prince of ten thousand leaves

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

i need to get a copy of this

i need to see it for myself

i must open the gate to the prince of ten thousand leaves

If you're going to bite the bullet, leave a loving scathing review. The lack of one for the Beast corebook is a serious problem.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I am not yet convinced I want to spend 15 bucks on finding a piece of the Prince.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Kavak posted:

If you're going to bite the bullet, leave a loving scathing review. The lack of one for the Beast corebook is a serious problem.

Although, on the whole, I prefer the system where you can't poo poo-talk a game in a review unless you actually bought it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Just in case you think I'm making any of this up.

Direct this poo poo at McFarland, not me.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
Does the book explain why we should give a poo poo about beasts getting eaten by more-awful beasts?

poo poo, why did I even ask that? I know the answer is no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Because if an Insatiable ends up sitting around for too long they unleash Mega Ultra Disquiet Hyper Fighting Edition EX ++

quote:

As the Insatiable feeds in an area, ripples begin to slowly warp
how mortal humans interact with each other. It starts slowly, and
people often overlook the effects as just outbreaks of seemingly bizarre
behavior. A Little League game at the park may turn into a
shouting match between the parents of both sides, where previously
they had all been friends. In a church, a previously-quiet pastor may
suddenly begin to shout and scream at his flock, calling them out
on their sins, that he seems to possess secret knowledge of. As the
Insatiable’s effects fade, these incidents disappear from people’s
minds as random acts not worth remembering.
As the Schism begins to grow, these strange behaviors start
to heighten the emotions and paranoia of those who spend more
than an hour in the area affected by the Insatiable’s presence.
People begin to act more impulsively, and some begin to suffer
from delusions. Many begin to suspect their neighbors of harboring
violent thoughts against them, and others begin to abandon
long-held ideals for beliefs that offer them some comfort. Many
Insatiable take advantage of the people’s paranoia and use it to
form cults to help feed their Hunger.
As the Schism reaches its peak, conflict overwhelms the area
as the people begin to give in to violent thoughts and destructive
impulses. Mob rule sets in and those perceived as threats to the
community are driven out or destroyed, while the community
itself falls under the sway of some grand delusion. The Insatiable
whose Schism is affecting the area always plays some part in the
delusion, and many find that her Moment bleeds through into
the real world and begins to twist at the perceptions of others. An
Insatiable of the Molten Earth may see a community burn under
the actions of a dozen arsonists who see flames as the only way to
stop an infectious disease from spreading, while an Insatiable of
the Void may cause a community to begin burying living people
beneath the earth in order to stop them from rising as zombies.