Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Meridian posted:

My hot take is that the black goo and weird parasite creatures mixed in with the Engineers plot is totally fine and cool and good and doesn't need The Alien at all. I think it'd probably be better if it didn't have it because as the dude in the video above was saying, part of what made Alien great is that it's just this monstrous, unknowable death machine. While yes, you can say "it still is," sure, but we didn't need to know where it came from really. The implication that the black goo/engineers/Aliens are connected is enough. Both stories I think would be stronger standing alone.

That said, I'm always down for watching a movie with Aliens ripping people up, so I'm not going to get too bent out of shape about it.

I don't really disagree with any of that, I'd love to see a version of Prometheus and Covenant completely free of the burden of the xenomorph, but I also love what we got just the same. The movie I'm imagining in my head that doesn't exist may not have even been as good as what Scott ended up making. Probably not, because you know, I'm me and he's Ridley Scott.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh, I got distracted. My actual point was that it shouldn't matter if a sequel uses a different premise from the original, as long as it makes for a good movie on its own. The idea that it also needs to be a good sequel seems kind of unimportant to me.

The idea that Exorcist 2 is bad BECAUSE it changes the premise of the The Exorcist doesn't feel like it would matter if Exorcist 2 was a really great movie. I haven't seen it though, so I can't comment.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

What a sore loser.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Kermode is a drat fool.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Kermode is a drat fool.

His entire argument boils down to "sequels should be scary for the exact same reasons as the original". He never really makes any other point. The Exorcist II is bad because it changes what was scary about The Exorcist. Covenant is bad because it changes what was scary about Alien. He doesn't even address the issue of whether those movies are scary in their own separate ways.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I didn't watch the video but the reasons that Exorcist II is supposed to be scary are very very very similar to the original, Exorcist II sucks for a number of other reasons.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I will forever John Boorman for saying he saw The Exorcist and thinking he could do better.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

I will forever John Boorman for saying he saw The Exorcist and thinking he could do better.

He also thought Zardoz was a swell idea.

What I am saying is he had his ups and downs.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

LMAO Forever for him saying that for real.

The best part was he did so much better the movie had to be recalled from theaters so he could re-edit it.

quote:

Friedkin saw half an hour of the film: "I was at Technicolor and a guy said 'We just finished a print of Exorcist II, do you wanna have a look at it?' And I looked at half an hour of it and I thought it was as bad as seeing a traffic accident in the street. It was horrible. It's just a stupid mess made by a dumb guy – John Boorman by name, somebody who should be nameless, but in this case should be named. Scurrilous. A horrible picture."[8] Friedkin later stated that this sequel diminished the value of the original and called it "one of the worst films I've ever seen." He later added, "That film was made by a demented mind".

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

quote:

somebody who should be nameless, but in this case should be named. Scurrilous.

This is my feeling whenever I hear the term "studio mandated." Name the fuckhead at the studio who's playing backseat filmmaker then publicly shame them when their stupid ideas are exposed for what they are.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
*Forever love, rather.

But you gotta give it up to that guy. Biggest horror movie of all time to this very day, he sees it and goes "I could do better," then makes Exorcist II.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
You certainly can't accuse Boorman of holding back with Exorcist II, whatever you may think of it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I saw Exorcist II at the exact right age to think Linda Blair was the hottest thing on two legs so I still have a soft spot for it. Also JEJ owns in it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
In the theatre I didn't realize how great this part was, and how perfectly it leads off from Prometheus:

Weyland: "I am your father. Ambulate."
David gets up and moves
Weyland: "Perfect."
David: "Am I?"
Weyland: "Perfect?"
David: "Your son?"

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

LesterGroans posted:

In the theatre I didn't realize how great this part was, and how perfectly it leads off from Prometheus:

David gets up and moves

For some reason, this makes me want a very careful edit of BvS replacing Lex with David.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That would improve the film quite a bit.

I'd honestly be down for some cross film hoping where David just fucks up every movies day over and over.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

CelticPredator posted:

That would improve the film quite a bit.

I'd honestly be down for some cross film hoping where David just fucks up every movies day over and over.

I mean that's damning the idea with faint praise because literally anything would make Batman versus Superman a better movie. When you're on the bottom you can only go up.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Honestly the ultimate cut made the film decent, and not a messy repugnant piece of poo poo. It's amazing what editing scenes that flow together can do to a film!

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I figured out what the black goo is, people. It's goons discussing Batman v Superman.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Granny's Stool Samples

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Xenomrph posted:

Worth pointing out that David has a demonstrated track record of misattributing creators and their creations - he gets the author of the "look upon my works" quote wrong, despite it allegedly being his favorite quote of all time. That detail wasn't included by accident.

This succinct and insightful comment closed the case on David's role as creator of The Alien but that argument still kept going for a page and a half. Weird.

Xeno you should link back to that post next time some rear end in a top hat tries to portray you as a continuity-obsessed action figure collecting fanboy. It's never been true and that kind of reading is proof.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Why cookie Rocket posted:

This succinct and insightful comment closed the case on David's role as creator of The Alien but that argument still kept going for a page and a half. Weird.

Xeno you should link back to that post next time some rear end in a top hat tries to portray you as a continuity-obsessed action figure collecting fanboy. It's never been true and that kind of reading is proof.

For a good while now Xeno's been pushing this theory about the Space Jockey in Alien not actually being an Engineer, and for a long time I thought that was just absurd. Now I'm really not so sure, there's a real possibility he was right all along. The Engineers just being the offspring of an even older and more powerful race fits in pretty well with the themes of fatherhood and creation in Prometheus and Covenant.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah.

No.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LesterGroans posted:

David gets up and moves

Yeah, that whole scene is perfect, all the little "off" details like Michaelangelo's David being truncated at the neck and ankles, the identical asymmetrical chair against the wall, stuff like that.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Yeah, that whole scene is perfect, all the little "off" details like Michaelangelo's David being truncated at the neck and ankles, the identical asymmetrical chair against the wall, stuff like that.

It really is. Guy Pearce does a ton with such a small part, too.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LesterGroans posted:

It really is. Guy Pearce does a ton with such a small part, too.

"My" Guy Pearce.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I love the sound of his feet clacking on the ground. Don't know why! Little things like that make that scene.

Also the Covenant theme kicking in as he's pouring the tea owns.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I need to know if you're from LA or NYC so I can understand if this post means yes or no.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Actually what's weird is that you think a discussion should shut down because some comment "won".
Especially bizarre since people were talking about how David being wrong played into things.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Look its Ridley Scott if he wants to say David is now the creator, I believe he wins, sadly. David is now the creator of the aliens, created by a robot whom humans hated for no reason and now he hates humans.

Aliens be like, shrug they make good aliens! Robots don't make good aliens, thumbs down. Take that David!

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 8, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Engineers create man man creates androids androids destroy engineers woman inherits the earth.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Neo Rasa posted:

I need to know if you're from LA or NYC so I can understand if this post means yes or no.

It means bah

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Tenzarin posted:

Look its Ridley Scott if he wants to say David is now the creator, I believe he wins, sadly. David is now the creator of the aliens, created by a robot whom humans hated for no reason and now he hates humans.

Aliens be like, shrug they make good aliens! Robots don't make good aliens, thumbs down. Take that David!

You post like you have a massive head wound

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Don't injury shame

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Why are people in the Alien universe so averse to wearing protective gear when exploring a scary new planet and also so into touching random poo poo that you have no idea what it is or how it could react to anything
Like not even a surgical mask or something like that

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

wyoming posted:

Actually what's weird is that you think a discussion should shut down because some comment "won".
Especially bizarre since people were talking about how David being wrong played into things.

No I just think we could've been spared the entire page of semantics bullshit.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

Calaveron posted:

Why are people in the Alien universe so averse to wearing protective gear when exploring a scary new planet and also so into touching random poo poo that you have no idea what it is or how it could react to anything
Like not even a surgical mask or something like that

Scott should have everyone who dies happen to be wearing red next time.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Because those things just get in the way of the story. Like, they wore helmets in Prometheus, but no one wants to watch a 2 hour movie of people in helmets.

Also, I don't know if you remember, but helmets actually do nothing to prevent being facehugged.

Just not wearing helmets way better than the characters beung "smart enough" to wear them and then "dumb enough" to take them off. Just take them out of the equation if the story mandates that they do nothing anyway.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Yaws posted:

You post like you have a massive head wound

Back at you buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Snak posted:

Because those things just get in the way of the story. Like, they wore helmets in Prometheus, but no one wants to watch a 2 hour movie of people in helmets.

Also, I don't know if you remember, but helmets actually do nothing to prevent being facehugged.

Just not wearing helmets way better than the characters beung "smart enough" to wear them and then "dumb enough" to take them off. Just take them out of the equation if the story mandates that they do nothing anyway.

But like if something so basic as PPE on a foreign planet gets in the way of the story, can't you just write a different story. I mean they don't wear helmets and then alien powder flies in their freaking ear canals, something that would have been prevented with a drat helmet. It's really hard to reconcile that :/

Why couldn't a guy slip on a banana peel and whoops, he broke his helmet and wouldn't ya know it, some of the black goo accidentally went in his mouth. Anything!