Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

Ah. Makes sense.

With that size scoop, I'm guessing that even a quick drive-by can easily put you over weight for a planned long jump if you don't have strict upper limits. And from what I hear people saying, the conda will happily dip into quick drive-bys on its own after a jump unless you put the brakes on. :haw:

When making my first major journey (to the edge of the galaxy, 38k light years round-trip), I learned I absolutely hate dealing with juggling fuel to jump farther, so since then I tend to undersize my fuel tanks from the start to get the desired effect. This way I don't have to carefully make sure my jump tank stays at 2/3rd full to get 37 ly jump range, for example. My 16 + 8 ton tank set up is automatically at 2/3rd full for a normal-sized tank. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
So I took the plunge and got the Deluxe Edition. So far I kinda like it! Got in there, did a few tutorials, and ended up doing my first mission as 'Free Data For All' planetary mission that, after taking some time and having to look up how to do things such as... accelerating/decelerating the buggy (turns out it wasn't even bound in the Advanced Game Pad config or something?), how to scan things, that the dev team has some poor building placement (I could literally drive under one of them and clip through the building), I eventually passed the mission and used the 44k reward to buy a 42k cannon. Fear the sidewinder, I guess?

Still! I enjoyed it. Love the whole look around the cockpit thing. If only I had/could afford VR.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Libluini posted:

When making my first major journey (to the edge of the galaxy, 38k light years round-trip), I learned I absolutely hate dealing with juggling fuel to jump farther, so since then I tend to undersize my fuel tanks from the start to get the desired effect. This way I don't have to carefully make sure my jump tank stays at 2/3rd full to get 37 ly jump range, for example. My 16 + 8 ton tank set up is automatically at 2/3rd full for a normal-sized tank. :haw:

Now I'm starting to wish for the ability to disable fuel tanks — either leave them filled or drained, but don't let anything flow in or out of them. I suppose that would be far to convenient for :frontear:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

Now I'm starting to wish for the ability to disable fuel tanks — either leave them filled or drained, but don't let anything flow in or out of them. I suppose that would be far to convenient for :frontear:

That would be a nice idea, especially considering fuel tanks are made from space magic and don't weigh anything by themselves. It would be great to fill up tons of extra fuel to get through large empty patches, but otherwise be able to keep the extra tanks empty for long-range jumping.

On that note, it would also be neat for an option to expel unwanted fuel from your fuel tanks. Of course, Frontier would need to implement extra fail safes for that, or people would start stranding themselves all over the place. :v:

Fake Edit:

I launched to the other side of the galaxy with my newly marine blue painted Anaconda. Wish me luck! (Two landings recorded, I'll post the video tomorrow. Landing turned out to be easy, as long as you don't do anything hasty.)

Did you know the Anaconda drops your SRV from like 10m up in the air? Really, it's a surprisingly steep drop. Luckily the Anaconda has some really long space cranes to get you up again. You can't see them, but you can feel them grab your buggy and hurtle you up to the ship!

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Good luck you crazy German bastard!

Don't bring back any hitchhikers, we've had trouble with those before.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Here's my "I have no idea what I'm doing" Explorer-conda"...with 336T of fuel.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

Tippis posted:

I'm thinking about getting an Anaconda for exploration, mainly because it can carry more spares and provisions if when something goes wrong.

Talk me out of it.

The best anaconda I can come up with gets 38LY: http://coriolis.io/outfit/anaconda/02A5D6A5D3D8D5C--------02020202020202023h1212120t0t0t43242i2f.AwRj4yuUbuxA.MwBjEYCZLW+hljEgFnR5Yg==

My asp only does 34: http://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/02A4D5A4D3D5D5C------020202023c0t0k43242f2i.AwRj4z2HRI==.Aw4RjAmUYFn2BmRNhA==

The price of those 4 lightyears is 231 788 470. That's two hundred thirty-one million space dollars. Do you have two hundred thirty one space dollars laying around that you genuinely have nothing better to do with than jump 4 LY?

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
I completed my trip to Thor's eye and back again in this.

With a bit of pushing around you might creep it to 37LY.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Will say this about the game. Approaching a planet from the wrong side can be annoying as hell if you get too close, takes way too long to go go around...

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Gravity wells slow you down in supercruise. If you fly away from the planet before you try to go around, you'll go a lot faster.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Libluini posted:

I launched to the other side of the galaxy with my newly marine blue painted Anaconda. Wish me luck! (Two landings recorded, I'll post the video tomorrow. Landing turned out to be easy, as long as you don't do anything hasty.)

On that topic, the fit you posted had a (vastly) undersized power distributor and thus no boost. With a few (also undersized) landings under your belt, how do you feel about not having that oh-poo poo-boost safety net? It looks like you have to pay at least 20t for the privilege (5A distributor), so… decisions, decisions.

DreadLlama posted:

The best anaconda I can come up with gets 38LY: http://coriolis.io/outfit/anaconda/02A5D6A5D3D8D5C--------02020202020202023h1212120t0t0t43242i2f.AwRj4yuUbuxA.MwBjEYCZLW+hljEgFnR5Yg==

My asp only does 34: http://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/02A4D5A4D3D5D5C------020202023c0t0k43242f2i.AwRj4z2HRI==.Aw4RjAmUYFn2BmRNhA==

The price of those 4 lightyears is 231 788 470. That's two hundred thirty-one million space dollars. Do you have two hundred thirty one space dollars laying around that you genuinely have nothing better to do with than jump 4 LY?

It's not the designs I'd go for, since I'd use SRVs to collect materials for the AFMUs rather than carry extra units, and I wouldn't use an A-class scoop. A 300% markup for 4 seconds seems… excessive. So the cost and range difference would both be smaller, but still, fair point. And yes, I have the spacebucks — after all, that's how the question started. :haw:

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

BenRGamer posted:

Will say this about the game. Approaching a planet from the wrong side can be annoying as hell if you get too close, takes way too long to go go around...

Really? I don't find it takes very long at all to just do a high orbit to the other side.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I honestly wish I had better deceleration when orbiting a planet. I can ramp up from near zero to "too fast" in short order at the right height, but slowing down in short order? Not so much.

Either it's babysit my height to ensure I'm not going too fast for for glide mode as soon as I'm approaching 1MM,or loop back around after I zoom past. Otherwise I have an inconvenient glide mode angle, or I come in ever so slightly too fast.

Pancaking is a real risk at lower altitudes, but when it boots you out 25km up you wish turning off flight assist, nosing down, and mashing the afterburners would let you meet the sweet embrace of Wile E Coyote grade falling, instead of your space spedometer reading average topspeeds.

Blue throttle seems pretty loving useless in actually slowing you down for a good glide mode angle unless you are already manually nosing early to cut your altitude and thus max speed. Unless I'm missing some trick to it actually dialing your speed back properly regardless of your height. Please tell me I'm missing some trick to it.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 3, 2016

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If you get your entire approach from orbit perfect you can drop out of glide mode about 5 km from a landing pad.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

DancingShade posted:

If you get your entire approach from orbit perfect you can drop out of glide mode about 5 km from a landing pad.

Oh yeah I can do that, by babysitting my height manually on the approach. Basically I wish it was just smoother. That blue throttle actually wasn't practically braindead about slowing your speeds as you approach your target destination, or you got some particular indicator of "Okay, dip out of the blue angle of fast orbital flight now, to not overshoot/roll your eyes as you fly the next 500 km going only 50kms unless you flop up and down a lot to instantly spike back to 100+ KMS and then slowly bleed off speed"

Just basically annoyed that the blue throttle for orbital flight is perfectly happy to keep me flying "too fast" over 200 the whole loving time no matter what when you are in the blue angle. Unless I just give up on trusting it to do it's job entirely and manually adjust my top speed in or out of the blue angle via lowering my height early.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 3, 2016

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

Tippis posted:

On that topic, the fit you posted had a (vastly) undersized power distributor and thus no boost. With a few (also undersized) landings under your belt, how do you feel about not having that oh-poo poo-boost safety net? It looks like you have to pay at least 20t for the privilege (5A distributor), so… decisions, decisions.

It's not the designs I'd go for, since I'd use SRVs to collect materials for the AFMUs rather than carry extra units, and I wouldn't use an A-class scoop. A 300% markup for 4 seconds seems… excessive. So the cost and range difference would both be smaller, but still, fair point. And yes, I have the spacebucks — after all, that's how the question started. :haw:

Dude I hate to be the bearer of bad news but using any scoop other than the largest A-class that will fit on the vessel is objectively the worst way to explore. It will be impossible for you to have fun. Girls won't like you if you drive the wrong kind of exploration ship.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Section Z posted:

Oh yeah I can do that, by babysitting my height manually on the approach. Basically I wish it was just smoother. That blue throttle actually wasn't practically braindead about slowing your speeds as you approach your target destination, or you got some particular indicator of "Okay, dip out of the blue angle of fast orbital flight now, to not overshoot/roll your eyes as you fly the next 500 km going only 50kms unless you flop up and down a lot to instantly spike back to 100+ KMS and then slowly bleed off speed"

Just basically annoyed that the blue throttle for orbital flight is perfectly happy to keep me flying "too fast" over 200 the whole loving time no matter what when you are in the blue angle. Unless I just give up on trusting it to do it's job entirely and manually adjust my top speed in or out of the blue angle via lowering my height early.

For actual landing, I just blue throttle it until I reach the orbital cruise threshold, then I throttle back to 50%. That gives enough manoeuvrability while maintaining accurate timing enough not to fly into things, and yet offers good enough speed to go anywhere. From there, it's just a matter of flying around until you can get a ~40° angle on the landing spot and glide straight in from there. No real need to babysit altitude (other than to avoid flying straight into the ground), and more about positioning. If it's a specific target I'm after, I just do the lazy thing of orbiting the body at a distance until it sits just on the horizon before dipping into actual orbital cruise height.

Basically, 50% > blue zone for landing approaches.

DreadLlama posted:

Dude I hate to be the bearer of bad news but using any scoop other than the largest A-class that will fit on the vessel is objectively the worst way to explore. It will be impossible for you to have fun. Girls won't like you if you drive the wrong kind of exploration ship.

That's ok, they perk right up when they hear about it lasting 4 seconds longer — it may not seem like much, but every little bit counts.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Tippis posted:

For actual landing, I just blue throttle it until I reach the orbital cruise threshold, then I throttle back to 50%. That gives enough manoeuvrability while maintaining accurate timing enough not to fly into things, and yet offers good enough speed to go anywhere. From there, it's just a matter of flying around until you can get a ~40° angle on the landing spot and glide straight in from there. No real need to babysit altitude (other than to avoid flying straight into the ground), and more about positioning. If it's a specific target I'm after, I just do the lazy thing of orbiting the body at a distance until it sits just on the horizon before dipping into actual orbital cruise height.

Basically, 50% > blue zone for landing approaches.

This is good advice, and I've been getting that down on approach to docking sites much more regularly. It feels like it's more forgiving for planetary docks because I've got "Come out directly over the station and be within 5 km once it slows you back down to normal speed" pretty much nailed.

But half the time my approach to shoot up someplace pops me out 10km away unless I pull up to keep my glide mode going longer, and I'm wondering what exactly I'm doing different to cause near perfection towards docks across multiple planets (both on initial entry, and return trips from on surface missions), but wild variances approaching mission targets, if I don't gently caress up and be barely too fast to exit orbital flight entirely.

I guess my main mental snag is how Orbital Flight follows 90% of Supercruise rules, even if Blue throttle not holding your hand as much as you approach your navigation target is likely 'Working as intended'. Orbital Flight still has you flying at (low) supercruise speeds, while frameshifted, complete with emergency stops if you get too close while going too fast.

I admit it's pure laziness, but you kind of get used to not having to manually kill your speed while still frameshifted except when you are coming in on the wrong side of an orbit (and then you nudge down for all of 5 seconds, and back up to blue throttle). So that initial learning curve of staying the gently caress out of the blue angle if you want to not overshoot your target seemed a bit oddball. "Oh cool, if I fly at this blue angle I fly better!... and apparently zoom clear past my destination at top speed okay what the gently caress? Blue stuff I thought we were pals."

Could be worse. So far I've yet to kill myself crashing.

I'm expecting that day to happen as soon as I stop being super paranoid on my first approach to any new planet, considering I've still had my share of moron dents at first. "Well I have no impact warning, and I only have 3 orange decent bars, so holding the vertical thrusters should keep me from hitting *SLAM 70% hull* ow.. Docking successful! technically."

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Apr 3, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

The Anaconda isn't really nimble or fast enough to profit from boosting. In fact, it looks like you could easily underestimate your momentum and plough into the surface if you rely on boost. Without boost, you have to fly more sensible. Generally, if you land with a fat ship like the Anaconda, you'll get down slow enough nothing bad should ever happen.

Of course, if you try to pilot an Anaconda like a slightly slower Asp, then you'll pay. :v:

Fake Edit:

While I'm waiting for my video to finish uploading, here's another picture album I gathered together:

Nebula Adventures

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So, to answer the question of how easy it is to land on a planet with undersized thrusters on your Anaconda, the boring answer is here:

Boring but Safe

To put things into perspective, the ship is still some ways away and that SRV-hangar behind the observation deck hangs something like 8-10m above ground.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 3, 2016

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

That actually didn't look too bad at all, you could probably have gotten away with a much more aggressive approach.

I don't think I appreciated quite how light you made that ship.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejexGfHwnq8&t=80s

landing succesfl

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Not the method (or planet) I'd chosen, but hey, any landing you can walk away from. :D

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

I love the clonk as you impact.

What's the cutter like btw?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
It's like flying an airliner.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Surprise Giraffe posted:

I love the clonk as you impact.

What's the cutter like btw?

It's not my video, but it seemed relevant :v:

I fly the babby Courier

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I put some new tech in my PC and upgraded to windows 10 along the way due to reasons, I just tried playing Elite for the first time since and I've got insane graphical glitching, like everything stretching out into oscillating bands of colour level unplayably insane.
The weird thing is I don't have these problems in the training missions, which run perfectly or in other games.

I've upgraded my drivers and all that jazz, anybody got any idea whats going on, my card is AMD if that helps? I'd take a screenshot but it just comes back black.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Well, I think the game might have lied to me. Picked up a planet mission to go to the System Styx and blow up a turret at 'Georg Boethe Enterprise +'... except I can't find it in the system. Looking up online, it's in another system about a dozen jumps away, wtf game?

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Today I jumped into a binary star system for the first time. April fools on me, I guess.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Solomonic posted:

Today I jumped into a binary star system for the first time. April fools on me, I guess.

Only if you exploded. Otherwise, it's just another Tuesday. Well, except that it's Sunday (or possibly Monday).

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

BenRGamer posted:

Well, I think the game might have lied to me. Picked up a planet mission to go to the System Styx and blow up a turret at 'Georg Boethe Enterprise +'... except I can't find it in the system. Looking up online, it's in another system about a dozen jumps away, wtf game?

What's your discovery scanner like/how many "unexplored" things are there in the system? Game loves to not show you planetside structures as navigation targets without actually scanning the planets.

Though things with Security rating at least you can usually see "Unexplored [Security +]" if your explore horn had the range to pick it up. Picking this game back up after Horizons came out made me finally splurge on putting an Advanced Discovery Scanner on loving everything because of this.

EDIT: Oh you've already found it in an entirely separate system :downs: There I go giving the game the benefit of the doubt to be working right haha.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 3, 2016

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
Have :frontier: made any control tweaks to the Galaxy Map when using VR recently?

Last time I tried was with my DK2 sometime before the launch of Horizons (I want to say it was around v1.3) and it was a nightmare to use the Galaxy Map in the Rift.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I don't know if they've made any changes, but the galaxy map in VR is still kind of a nightmare. System map is pretty heinous as well.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
After doing a few missions (all surface ones, I can't figure out how to track down targets for combat missions) I've got about 300k and I think its about time I upgraded from my sidewinder. I like doing missions, combat, and surface stuff. Not a big fan of the exploration aspect.

Any suggestions on ships to go for?

Edit: Also, can we upgrade our buggy? I haven't seen any options for it.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Can't upgrade the buggy yet, no idea what the eta on that is.

The Eagle and the Viper are the fightier low tier ships. The Eagle will leave you a bit more cash to upgrade the systems, it's also great fun to fly.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

tooterfish posted:

Can't upgrade the buggy yet, no idea what the eta on that is.

The Eagle and the Viper are the fightier low tier ships. The Eagle will leave you a bit more cash to upgrade the systems, it's also great fun to fly.

Do you know where they're sold? I saw them before somewhere, but for the life of me I can't remember where, and I've checked a few places since but no such luck.

I'm still near the starter area of Baker's Prospect

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

BenRGamer posted:

Do you know where they're sold? I saw them before somewhere, but for the life of me I can't remember where, and I've checked a few places since but no such luck

inara has a built-in tool that helps you find not only the closest system that sells what you want, but also the closest system that features a discount on what you want.

what system are you in?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I do all my shopping at Founder's World. :smug:

They should be pretty common. Filter your map for high population high tech worlds, they usually have plenty of toys.

^^^or just do that^^^

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

nippythefish posted:

inara has a built-in tool that helps you find not only the closest system that sells what you want, but also the closest system that features a discount on what you want.

what system are you in?

Asellus Primus.

How do you check?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES
I'm assuming Baker's Prospect is in LHS 3447 since I haven't been in LHS 3447 in about 14 months. Papin City in 7 Andromedae (86.04 ly, so quite a few jumps) sells Eagles at a 15% discount.

e: one sec.

e2: http://inara.cz/galaxy-outfitting-stations

Barry Gateway in Gliese 3371. It's 46.3 ly away from you.

• Locked thread