Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Someone once told me to treat each X-Men movie like it's in its own continuity, and it honestly works a lot better that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

McCloud posted:

Just curious, what happened to the other X-men, and what continuity is this? If it's the old one where Sentinels purged the mutants I'm kinda fine with it, but if the second future is hosed up as well I'd be slightly peeved.

This all takes place before the movie, but I'm going to consider it a bit of a big spoiler since we find out hints and pieces of it throughout the film.

At some point, scientists were able to figure out a way to prevent mutant births. With no new mutants being created, the Reavers were put together to wipe out the existing mutants around the world. Presumably, the X-Men were the last line of defense and the final haven for any surviving mutants. A year before the events of the film, Xavier -- who is at least 90 -- went into an epileptic seizure at the mansion. The episode took out everyone in the vicinity mentally, meaning Xavier's old age had all but finished off the mutant genocide. Logan took Xavier and hid him away in Mexico, where he's looked over by Caliban, an albino who wants to redeem himself for aiding the Reavers as a tracker. Xavier suffers dementia and Logan regularly medicates him to keep him from enduring more seizures.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That's only slightly less depressing than what happens in Old Man Logan.

I'm worried Laura is going to be a great character with lots of potential but because she's in what seems to be a stand alone film, she'll never make it to the main continuity. Though considering Singer doesn't have any interest in any X-men that were not in SIlver or Bronze age comics it seems, that was unlikely anyways.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Gavok posted:

This all takes place before the movie, but I'm going to consider it a bit of a big spoiler since we find out hints and pieces of it throughout the film.

At some point, scientists were able to figure out a way to prevent mutant births. With no new mutants being created, the Reavers were put together to wipe out the existing mutants around the world. Presumably, the X-Men were the last line of defense and the final haven for any surviving mutants. A year before the events of the film, Xavier -- who is at least 90 -- went into an epileptic seizure at the mansion. The episode took out everyone in the vicinity mentally, meaning Xavier's old age had all but finished off the mutant genocide. Logan took Xavier and hid him away in Mexico, where he's looked over by Caliban, an albino who wants to redeem himself for aiding the Reavers as a tracker. Xavier suffers dementia and Logan regularly medicates him to keep him from enduring more seizures.

Jesus christ

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If they use her again there's a 99% chance she gets recast, because the actress is like 10 and Fox is not waiting that long.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I'm worried Laura is going to be a great character with lots of potential but because she's in what seems to be a stand alone film, she'll never make it to the main continuity. Though considering Singer doesn't have any interest in any X-men that were not in SIlver or Bronze age comics it seems, that was unlikely anyways.

Eh, if Laura ends up popular they'll just do a series of post-apocalyptic Laura films with a new actress or something.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aphrodite posted:

If they use her again there's a 99% chance she gets recast, because the actress is like 10 and Fox is not waiting that long.

I've heard both rebooting X-men, but also something called X-men Supernova which takes place in space and is closer to the actual Phoenix Saga, with Sophie Turner still has Gene and the rest of the Apocalypse kids. The movie will be more about why Magneto's hair is white though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well, if they're rebooting they haven't told the cast yet because Sophie Turner mentioned in some interview they start shooting this summer.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Aphrodite posted:

Well, if they're rebooting they haven't told the cast yet because Sophie Turner mentioned in some interview they start shooting this summer.

They should save everyone's time and money and only shoot the parts they know will end up in the Deleted Scenes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

twistedmentat posted:

It's ok to just enjoy a film as itself and not worry about the greater ramifications for the shared cinematic universe.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

It's ok to just enjoy a film as itself and not worry about the greater ramifications for the shared cinematic universe.

Ban this fake nerd

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I think there's a difference between what you're describing and just wanting to see a character's story continue.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I kinda feel like even a good X-Men movie is weighed down by the baggage of all the movies. I would really like to enjoy Logan if it's a good movie, but then I just think about the dozen other X-men movies and all the good and bad that comes with it and it's just a really long uphill battle for me to give any kind of poo poo about an X-men movie at this point.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jamesman posted:

I kinda feel like even a good X-Men movie is weighed down by the baggage of all the movies. I would really like to enjoy Logan if it's a good movie, but then I just think about the dozen other X-men movies and all the good and bad that comes with it and it's just a really long uphill battle for me to give any kind of poo poo about an X-men movie at this point.

I mean, it basically kills everyone off from all of those before the credits.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think there's a difference between what you're describing and just wanting to see a character's story continue.

This is exactly it, I love what they've done with Laura in the books, she is a fulled fleshed out character with her own wants and desires, motivations and flaws. She has her own relationships with other people and is more than just teen girl clone of Logan. I would love to see the movies do the same thing.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Wow director's cuts really do improve a film

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

God, that fight scene is so loving good. Zack Snyder should have just made a stand alone Batman movie.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

WickedHate posted:

God, that fight scene is so loving good. Zack Snyder should have just made a stand alone Batman movie.

Well if director talks keep going the way they are he just might.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

MacheteZombie posted:

Well if director talks keep going the way they are he just might.

Hey now, Matt Reeves might still be in the running. The article clearly mentioned that talks might start again when both sides let their heads cool. I took that to mean that they were doing negotiations in a sauna and that everything was going swimmingly until it just got too hot and I'm sure that they'll reconvene any moment now...

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Legit? I hope so, Black Manta looks really cool

Ocean Master looks like, well Ocean Master.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Ocean Master looks like just straight up artwork and the rest screams photoshop.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

WickedHate posted:

Ocean Master looks like just straight up artwork and the rest screams photoshop.

Yea, that's why I'm not sure its real or not, because I have seen lovely photoshops like this as material for actual films, but Ocean Master does look like he's lifted right from the Throne of Atlantis animated movie.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I mean, you could have just looked up the Instagram listed at the top and seen that is indeed fake.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

X-O posted:

I mean, you could have just looked up the Instagram listed at the top and seen that is indeed fake.

I didn't even notice that :derp:

Though now I'm going to be upset when Black Manta looks like poo poo in the actual movie.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I like Black Manta's design because of how simple it is.

Which means they'll probably over-design the movie version with a billion different parts on his costume.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

twistedmentat posted:

I didn't even notice that :derp:

Though now I'm going to be upset when Black Manta looks like poo poo in the actual movie.

Are there people that think Black Manta's look is actually cool?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Black Manta looks like a low-rent Scooby-Doo villain and there's no way it will ever look good on screen without some serious loving liberties.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

X-O posted:

*tugs collar neevously* n..n.no

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Roth posted:

I like Black Manta's design because of how simple it is.

Which means they'll probably over-design the movie version with a billion different parts on his costume.

Yep, black suit, big rear end helmet with big red eyes, what's not to love? But yea, we'll end up with some overly complex suit that has a ton of junk on it to make it more interesting. I don't mind when they texture stuff because a flat black or blue body suit looks kind of weird, especially in HD. I think the design for Black Panther for example is perfect, it's still simple but has enough going on it's not boring.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

X-O posted:

I'm the opposite. Surprised that there are people who think it doesn't look cool. Especially the Scooby-Doo comment, because that could be said about vast numbers of comic book villains.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lobok posted:

I'm the opposite. Surprised that there are people who think it doesn't look cool. Especially the Scooby-Doo comment, because that could be said about vast numbers of comic book villains.

I've got some bad news for you.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

No, since I like the way most comic book villains look. I actually don't think that most villains need to be completely redesigned for the big screen.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Lobok posted:

No, since I like the way most comic book villains look. I actually don't think that most villains need to be completely redesigned for the big screen.

Well, you're wrong.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
If they can pull something off like what they're doing with the Vulture for Spider-Man, I'd be happy. Vulture looks really good.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

They may not be superhero films but Quagmire is pretty much madmax.jpg

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Arist posted:

Black Manta looks like a low-rent Scooby-Doo villain and there's no way it will ever look good on screen without some serious loving liberties.

Damnit, you're right. Then again, the fact that Superfriends was a thing doesn't help because I have an exact visual of what Black Manta looks like in that cheapo Sixties style.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So the Logan reviews have been super positive so far, but I keep hearing "i was getting tired of Super Hero movies..." but I still think "Are there that many? There was what, 5 last year? how many Horror, romcoms, or non super hero action movies came out last year?". I guess because superhero movies are the big blockbusters, it could see to someone who doesn't follow movies might think there are only Superhero movies coming out, but a critic?

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

twistedmentat posted:

So the Logan reviews have been super positive so far, but I keep hearing "i was getting tired of Super Hero movies..." but I still think "Are there that many? There was what, 5 last year? how many Horror, romcoms, or non super hero action movies came out last year?". I guess because superhero movies are the big blockbusters, it could see to someone who doesn't follow movies might think there are only Superhero movies coming out, but a critic?

Superhero movies are just a passing fad, you see. That well's due to dry up any day now, or so I keep hearing.

Andrew_Jackson5
Jan 9, 2015

what a web sight

twistedmentat posted:

Superhero movies have very long marketing cycles so people think about them throughout the year more often than they think of other genre action movies. The interconnected nature of the MCU and other worse cinematic universes also makes it so previous films stay in the public consciousness for longer. I mean, people are already trying to say they're sick of Star Wars because of how long the Force Awakens' marketing onslaught lasted.

Superhero movie fatigue always felt a bit more to me like people getting bored of movies trying to do the Battle of NY from Avengers but again too much. The average person who regularly enjoys action movies will probably continue to like superhero movies as long as they begin to vary in tone and structure, which it seems like Marvel Studios is pushing towards and Fox has wound up doing through simply letting people make whatever movie they want if they yell at them for long enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think it's mainly that they are now the biggest of the big budget movies. I can't think of anything besides Star Wars that get as much hype and attention as them.

• Locked thread